Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Grounding Batteries

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dballin

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 7:20 am    Post subject: Grounding Batteries Reply with quote

I am working on a Lancair Legacy (ie carbon frame) and basically the Z-14 system 24v with two batteries.   The main will have a larger battery and 60A alt,  the aux with a smaller B&C battery and an SD20.   The batteries will be behind the seats with the power grid contactors.  My plan is to run a large ground to the engine/starter for the main (4AWG) and a 10AWG for the aux to a ground stud on the firewall (which then gets connect to the engine case).  So here is my question.  I want to have a local ground back by the batteries for both main and aux components.  Should I have a separate ground bus for each battery? or can I attach both neg terminals to a single ground bus.  It seems to me that this does add some redundancy to the ground path, but it also will hide any failure in the ground leads.  Thoughts?

Thanks
Dan Ballin LEG2 #286
[quote][b]

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
mrspudandcompany(at)veriz

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 8:22 am    Post subject: Grounding Batteries Reply with quote

I am working on a Lancair Legacy (ie carbon frame) and basically the Z-14 system 24v with two batteries. The main will have a larger battery and 60A alt, the aux with a smaller B&C battery and an SD20. The batteries will be behind the seats with the power grid contactors. My plan is to run a large ground to the engine/starter for the main (4AWG) and a 10AWG for the aux to a ground stud on the firewall (which then gets connect to the engine case). So here is my question. I want to have a local ground back by the batteries for both main and aux components. Should I have a separate ground bus for each battery? or can I attach both neg terminals to a single ground bus. It seems to me that this does add some redundancy to the ground path, but it also will hide any failure in the ground leads. Thoughts?

Thanks
Dan Ballin LEG2 #286 [quote] Dan, You said you are running a 24V system. Are you using 2 - 24V batteries or 2 – 12V batteries? If using 2 – 12V then they will be in series for the 24V system, meaning that the Neg. terminal of one battery will be at ground and the pos terminal of that battery will attach to the neg terminal of the second battery, and the pos of the second battery will be your 24V supply. If you are using 2 – 24V batteries, then the neg terminals of the two batteries can be attached together and to ground, and the pos terminals will give you 2 independent 24V sources. Roger [b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 10:57 am    Post subject: Grounding Batteries Reply with quote

At 10:17 AM 5/2/2009, you wrote:
Quote:
I am working on a Lancair Legacy (ie carbon frame) and basically the
Z-14 system 24v with two batteries. The main will have a larger
battery and 60A alt, the aux with a smaller B&C battery and an
SD20. The batteries will be behind the seats with the power grid
contactors. My plan is to run a large ground to the engine/starter
for the main (4AWG) and a 10AWG for the aux to a ground stud on the
firewall (which then gets connect to the engine case). So here is
my question. I want to have a local ground back by the batteries
for both main and aux components. Should I have a separate ground
bus for each battery? or can I attach both neg terminals to a single
ground bus. It seems to me that this does add some redundancy to
the ground path, but it also will hide any failure in the ground
leads. Thoughts?

Ground wires can and should be crafted with
the robust-as-hell philosophy in mind. I.e.,
as reliable as prop bolts. This means take some
extra care in crafting the conductors, routing
for mechanical isolation from risks and bolting
things together with metal lock nuts or LockTite
on threads.

One conductor from crankcase to firewall ground
stud. One conductor from firewall ground to a battery
ground behind seats (small forest of tabs or perhaps
just a stud on which all rear grounds mount). Two
conductors from rear ground location to each of the
(-) terminals of the batteries. You might want to
consider 2AWG welding cable for the fat ground
wires . . . MUCH more pleasant to work with than

Bob . . .

----------------------------------------)
( . . . a long habit of not thinking )
( a thing wrong, gives it a superficial )
( appearance of being right . . . )
( )
( -Thomas Paine 1776- )
----------------------------------------

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: