Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What can GPS and XM antennas see through?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cskelt(at)earthlink.net

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 2:19 pm    Post subject: What can GPS and XM antennas see through? Reply with quote

Folks, I'm installing a Garmin 496 in my Lancair 320. The Garmin manual suggests placing the GPS and XM antennas supplied with the unit where they can see the sky through the canopy. This could be achieved by placing the two devices on the glare shield. However it would be an easier installation if I were to place the two antennas below the glare shield. This way, there'd be no awkward electrical connections to deal with when removing or replacing the glare shield. If the antennas can see through perspex, (or laminated auto glass) can they additionally see through the skinny fiberglass molding covered with headlining material? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Chris Skelt.

[quote][b]

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
BobsV35B(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 2:38 pm    Post subject: What can GPS and XM antennas see through? Reply with quote

Good Evening Chris,

The antennas will look through that glareshield just fine. However, you must remember that any distance below the very top of the airplane will reduce the amount of sky that can be seen via the antennas.

We have found that antennas mounted on top of the glove box and under the glareshield work reasonably well in various Bonanzas.

Happy Skies

Old Bob
AKA
Bob Siegfried
Ancient Aviator
628 West 86th Street
Downers Grove, IL 60516
630 985-8502
Stearman N3977A
Brookeridge Air Park LL22
In a message dated 5/3/2009 5:21:28 P.M. Central Daylight Time, cskelt(at)earthlink.net writes:
Quote:

Folks, I'm installing a Garmin 496 in my Lancair 320. The Garmin manual suggests placing the GPS and XM antennas supplied with the unit where they can see the sky through the canopy. This could be achieved by placing the two devices on the glare shield. However it would be an easier installation if I were to place the two antennas below the glare shield. This way, there'd be no awkward electrical connections to deal with when removing or replacing the glare shield.  If the antennas can see through perspex, (or laminated auto glass) can they additionally see through the skinny fiberglass molding covered with headlining material? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Chris Skelt.

Quote:

====================================
List href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
ms.matronics.com/">http://forums.matronics.com
tp://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

The Average US Credit Score is 692. See Yours in Just 2 Easy Steps!
[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

mrspudandcompany(at)veriz

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 3:10 pm    Post subject: What can GPS and XM antennas see through? Reply with quote

Are there any published specs as to what materials, at what thickness, satellite antennas can see through without a large attenuation of signal strength? If so can you point me toward them?

Thanks,

Roger

Good Evening Chris,

The antennas will look through that glareshield just fine. However, you must remember that any distance below the very top of the airplane will reduce the amount of sky that can be seen via the antennas.

We have found that antennas mounted on top of the glove box and under the glareshield work reasonably well in various Bonanzas.

Happy Skies

Old Bob

In a message dated 5/3/2009 5:21:28 P.M. Central Daylight Time, cskelt(at)earthlink.net writes:
[quote]
Folks, I'm installing a Garmin 496 in my Lancair 320. The Garmin manual suggests placing the GPS and XM antennas supplied with the unit where they can see the sky through the canopy. This could be achieved by placing the two devices on the glare shield. However it would be an easier installation if I were to place the two antennas below the glare shield. This way, there'd be no awkward electrical connections to deal with when removing or replacing the glare shield. If the antennas can see through perspex, (or laminated auto glass) can they additionally see through the skinny fiberglass molding covered with headlining material? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Chris Skelt.

BobsV35B(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: What can GPS and XM antennas see through? Reply with quote

Good Evening Roger,

If such a document exists, I am not aware of it!

Do Not Archive

Happy Skies

Old Bob
AKA
Bob Siegfried
Ancient Aviator
628 West 86th Street
Downers Grove, IL 60516
630 985-8502
Stearman N3977A
Brookeridge Air Park LL22
In a message dated 5/3/2009 6:12:52 P.M. Central Daylight Time, mrspudandcompany(at)verizon.net writes:
Quote:

Are there any published specs as to what materials, at what thickness, satellite antennas can see through without a large attenuation of signal strength? If so can you point me toward them?

Thanks,

Roger

The Average US Credit Score is 692. See Yours in Just 2 Easy Steps!
[quote][b]

mrspudandcompany(at)veriz

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject: What can GPS and XM antennas see through? Reply with quote

Good Evening Roger,

If such a document exists, I am not aware of it!

Do Not Archive

[quote]Happy Skies

Old Bob

Hi Bob, Apparently the GPS antenna can see through some plastics and light foam but not through wood, metal, dense foam, or carbon fiber, to name a few.It seems your best bet is to have nothing but air between the antenna and satellite, for best reception. Roger [b]

Dick Sipp

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 7:26 pm    Post subject: What can GPS and XM antennas see through? Reply with quote

I have these antennas mounted ahead of the firewall under the ~1/8 thick painted fiberglass cowling. No problems at one year in service.
I believe this is a relatively common practice in the RV community.

Dick Sipp
RV10 N110DV
[quote] [b]

bakerocb

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 2:55 am    Post subject: What can GPS and XM antennas see through? Reply with quote

5/4/2009

Hello Chris, When I discussed this subject with a Garmin technical rep he
said that placing the antenna for my GNS 430 inside the fiberglass fuselage
molding of my KIS TR-1 should not be a problem, but that mounting the
antenna on an aluminum plate would help shield the antenna from
electromagnetic noise coming from below.

I mounted the antenna on an aluminum shelf inside the fuselage molding
between the firewall and the instrument panel (lots of electromagnetic
generating stuff in that area). The installation has worked perfectly -- I
now have a 430W antenna in that location.

'OC' Says: "The best investment we can make is the effort to gather and
understand knowledge."

====================================================

Time: 03:19:57 PM PST US
From: "cskelt(at)earthlink.net" <cskelt(at)earthlink.net>
Subject: What can GPS and XM antennas see through?

Folks, I'm installing a Garmin 496 in my Lancair 320. The Garmin manual
suggests
placing the GPS and XM antennas supplied with the unit where they can see
the
sky through the canopy. This could be achieved by placing the two devices
on the glare shield. However it would be an easier installation if I were
to
place the two antennas below the glare shield. This way, there'd be no
awkward
electrical connections to deal with when removing or replacing the glare
shield.
If the antennas can see through perspex, (or laminated auto glass) can they
additionally see through the skinny fiberglass molding covered with
headlining
material? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Chris Skelt.

rduplooy(at)iafrica.com

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 7:04 am    Post subject: What can GPS and XM antennas see through? Reply with quote

Our Rv-4 has the antenna mounted in the same place ( As Dick Sipp- FWF under
fibreglass cowling) for the Garmin XL250...

Aquires satellites quickly, and navigates faultlessly to destinations...even
after 300 hrs.

Robert du Plooy
Quote:
>
I have these antennas mounted ahead of the firewall under the ~1/8 thick
painted fiberglass cowling. No problems at one year in service.
I believe this is a relatively common practice in the RV community.

Dick Sipp
RV10 N110DV

>

mchristian(at)canetics.co

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 8:12 am    Post subject: What can GPS and XM antennas see through? Reply with quote

On my Cirrus, the two GPS antennas are velcro'd to the underneath of the glareshield and they work just fine.

Mike

skywagon

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 9:24 am    Post subject: What can GPS and XM antennas see through? Reply with quote

All GPS antennas and receivers are not the same as we all know. Most do not
like to have their antennas "shielded" by anything. That can includes ice
and snow too.

And, there are GPS units that use receivers so sensitive, they work just
fine inside a building. Take the little Garmin portable, 60CSx is one. I
do not know what gps chip set it uses, but, that little unit is a 100 fold
more sensitive than our multi-thousand dollar units. Put it in your pocket
or lunch box, sit under a grove of trees and it keeps ticking. So, go with
the factory recommendation and give the antenna a free view of the sky.
David
---

cskelt(at)earthlink.net

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 4:47 am    Post subject: What can GPS and XM antennas see through? Reply with quote

Folks,
This is to thank all of you who replied to the list and to me personally.

The consensus on the Internet is that GPS signals run around 1.5 GHz and XM Weather at about 2.3 GHz with corresponding wavelengths of about 20 cm and 13 cm respectively. This is more than an order of magnitude higher than the frequencies we use for COM and NAV, and so, all other things being equal, we shouldn't expect them to penetrate so much of the same solid material -- which was my original concern, particularly as I have no data on the relative transmissivity of perspex (that we understand is OK) and fiberglass (that's probably OK, but I don't know). Even if I can get a good GPS or XM reading while stationary in the driveway, that doesn't necessarily translate into good navigation at cruise speed, and that is why positive and negative experiences from a large user community are worth much more than guidelines from the installation manual. It seems there are many good functional ways of doing the installation, and some useful considerations to take into account. Thanks again.

Regards, Chris.

[quote][b]

lists(at)stevet.net

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 6:06 am    Post subject: What can GPS and XM antennas see through? Reply with quote

Chris,
I am not flying yet, and my experience is anecdotal so take this for what it's worth. I am building a Glasair Super II RG, all fiberglass fuselage. The construction is glass over foam sandwich. I have my XM and GPS antennae on a shelf at the inside-top of the aft fuselage and the airplane is inside my garage. When I fire up my panel, I can successfully pick up both the XM and GPS signal. It does take a while to lock on, and the signal is weak, but it is there. So, both signals are able to penetrate the garage roof, the ceiling, and the fiberglass body. Now I suppose I cannot tell how much is coming through the windows and open garage door, but that is my experience.

Steve

On May 9, 2009, at 5:44 AM, cskelt(at)earthlink.net (cskelt(at)earthlink.net) wrote:
[quote]
Folks,
This is to thank all of you who replied to the list and to me personally.

The consensus on the Internet is that GPS signals run around 1.5 GHz and XM Weather at about 2.3 GHz with corresponding wavelengths of about 20 cm and 13 cm respectively. This is more than an order of magnitude higher than the frequencies we use for COM and NAV, and so, all other things being equal, we shouldn't expect them to penetrate so much of the same solid material -- which was my original concern, particularly as I have no data on the relative transmissivity of perspex (that we understand is OK) and fiberglass (that's probably OK, but I don't know). Even if I can get a good GPS or XM reading while stationary in the driveway, that doesn't necessarily translate into good navigation at cruise speed, and that is why positive and negative experiences from a large user community are worth much more than guidelines from the installation manual. It seems there are many good functional ways of doing the installation, and some useful considerations to take into account. Thanks again.

Regards, Chris.

Quote:

[b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: