Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Engine angle on the airframe mounts on a MKIII

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jason(at)trek-tech.com

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 7:07 am    Post subject: Engine angle on the airframe mounts on a MKIII Reply with quote

Hello All,

I have checked the archives extensively and found some useful information but I would like to take a poll.

In reference to the engine mounts on the airframe of a MKIIIC, what angle does your engine sit at. Does the engine sit flat (parallel) on the mounts? Are there any spacers or engine mount holes that make the front of the engine sit higher or lower on the airframe mount. I Know the effect that engine angle has on yaw trim, I just wanted to see where other people landed on the engine mount.

Jason
MKIIIC
BMW engine
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
John Hauck

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 7:49 am    Post subject: Engine angle on the airframe mounts on a MKIII Reply with quote

Jason:

Over the years I have experimented with changing engine attitude in pitch and yaw. I did this with my FS and MKIIIc.

Results indicated it was not worth the effort of screwing up good engine mounts.

I believe the stock engine position is as good as it gets.

I have also experimented with off setting the leading edge of the upper vertical stabilizer in order to help control adverse yaw. Again, was not worth the holes I had to drill in the tailboom to conduct my experiment. I found the best solution was to use the appropriate size rudder trim tab set at the correct angle.

Interesting to note, the new Kolb MKIIIx I tested last year ended up with an identical size and shape rudder trim tab as on my much older MKIIIc.

I do like to get the engine as low in the mounts as I can to help offset some of the adverse pitch down caused by a high thrust line on a pusher.

The leading edge of my horizontal stabilizer is somewhat lower than what the plans called for. Where I have mine set now is where my mkIII flies best. Up or down from this position causes the mkIII to act like it is trying to balance on a ball. Was difficult to keep it in a good cruise attitude. Nose would either want to drop or climb. Would be hard to fly all day in that condition.

john h
mkIII

[quote] In reference to the engine mounts on the airframe of a MKIIIC, what angle does your engine sit at. Does the engine sit flat (parallel) on the mounts? Are there any spacers or engine mount holes that make the front of the engine sit higher or lower on the airframe mount. I Know the effect that engine angle has on yaw trim, I just wanted to see where other people landed on the engine mount.

Jason

[b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Titus, Alabama
Jason Omelchuck

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Engine angle on the airframe mounts on a MKIII Reply with quote

Thanks John,

Can you tell me if the "stock" position is with the engine parallel (or the prop perpendicular) to the mounts on the airframe or does "stock" mean that the front of the engine is raised or lowered some per the factory instructions.

Jason

John Hauck

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 9:08 am    Post subject: Engine angle on the airframe mounts on a MKIII Reply with quote

> Can you tell me if the "stock" position is with the engine parallel (or
the prop perpendicular) to the mounts on the airframe or does "stock" mean
that the front of the engine is raised or lowered some per the factory
instructions.
Quote:

Jason

Jason:

On my mkIII the line of thrust is parallel with the stock engine mounts, and
as low as I could get the 912 and still have a little clearance to keep from
hitting the large root tube during flight.

john h
mkIII

Titus, Alabama
NeilsenRM(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 9:51 am    Post subject: Engine angle on the airframe mounts on a MKIII Reply with quote

Jason

I have played around a bit on engine positions and I agree with John, it
doesn't seem to make any difference. From a purely theoretical view it would
seem the best thrust line would be having the line of thrust pushing
straight forward in cruise. Allowing for a few degrees of angle of attack
for the wing to maintain altitude, I set my line of thrust 2-4 degrees down
from parallel with the bottom line of the wing. Or 2-4 degrees prop up,
front of engine down. I had to do this because I had cut to stock engine
mount off the airframe to be able to lower the engine. Yes the lower the
thrust line the better. This makes a real big difference.

Rick Neilsen
Redrive VW powered MKIIIC

---

by0ung(at)brigham.net

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 4:45 am    Post subject: Engine angle on the airframe mounts on a MKIII Reply with quote

In reference to the engine mounts on the airframe of a MKIIIC, what angle does your engine sit at. Does the engine sit flat (parallel) on the mounts? Are there any spacers or engine mount holes that make the front of the engine sit higher or lower on the airframe mount. I Know the effect that engine angle has on yaw trim, I just wanted to see where other people landed on the engine mount.

Jason
MKIIIC
BMW engine

Quote:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

Parallel on the mounts for me.

Boyd Young
MKIIIC
Utah

[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: