Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GVT?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith601-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
careywf(at)sbcglobal.net

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 10:21 am    Post subject: GVT? Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

A few questions regarding the GVT conducted in Germany on the 601XL:

(1) Does anyone know what's involved in a ground vibration test (GVT), to detect among other things, aileron flutter?

(2) If not, does anyone know of a web site that describes the test?

(3) Was there more than one 601XL involved in the German GVT?

(4) Did the 601XL tested in Germany have hingless or hinged ailerons?

(5) Someone on this site stated a month or so back that all of the 601XL accidents involving "suspected aileron flutter" were of the hingless design. Am I correct? If so, how "official" is that info? In the words, is the info regarding the hingless ailerons reflected in an accident report, or shown in photos? I'm not arguing with the contributor, but I don't remember seeing any other comments along this line on this site.

Walt Carey in Dayton, OH
601XL
50%constructeded
Jabiru 3300A
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Zenith601-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith601-List
eddies

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: GVT? Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VMMVuVrweM

The video above expalains what was done.

The test where done using hinged ailerons

Cheers
Eddie

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

psm(at)att.net

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 1:27 pm    Post subject: GVT? Reply with quote

Hi Eddie,

Thank you for posting the link to the CH650 ground vibration test video.

Do you know if any testing was done of the plane we all have? That
would be the CH601XL.

Thanks,

Paul
XL grounded
At 02:15 PM 5/24/2009, you wrote:

Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VMMVuVrweM

The video above expalains what was done.

The test where done using hinged ailerons

Cheers
Eddie

craig(at)craigandjean.com

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 1:31 pm    Post subject: GVT? Reply with quote

“Someone on this site stated a month or so back that all of the 601XL accidents involving "suspected aileron flutter" were of the hinge-less design”

No, I don’t think this is correct. The Yuba City plane was built by AMD and had piano hinges. The post-crash photos show this (I’ve attached one). I believe there are hinged and hinge-less planes among the unexplained crashes.

-- Craig

From: owner-zenith601-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-zenith601-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Walter Carey
Sent: Sunday, May 24, 2009 12:19 PM
To: 601XL builders
Subject: GVT?

Hi Everyone,

A few questions regarding the GVT conducted in Germany on the 601XL:

(1) Does anyone know what's involved in a ground vibration test (GVT), to detect among other things, aileron flutter?

(2) If not, does anyone know of a web site that describes the test?

(3) Was there more than one 601XL involved in the German GVT?

(4) Did the 601XL tested in Germany have hingless or hinged ailerons?

(5) Someone on this site stated a month or so back that all of the 601XL accidents involving "suspected aileron flutter" were of the hingless design. Am I correct? If so, how "official" is that info? In the words, is the info regarding the hingless ailerons reflected in an accident report, or shown in photos? I'm not arguing with the contributor, but I don't remember seeing any other comments along this line on this site.

Walt Carey in Dayton, OH

601XL

50%constructeded

Jabiru 3300A
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

zodiac_file_035.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  151.5 KB
 Viewed:  10941 Time(s)

zodiac_file_035.jpg

eddies

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: GVT? Reply with quote

Hi Paul,

From what I understand the tests were done on the 650 which is basically the same aircraft as the 601XL (different canopy and rudder) so the test results would be valid regardless of the model, as they involved the wings and control surfaces. As far as I know these are the same on both the 601XL and 650 models.

Cheers
Eddie

Hi Eddie,

Thank you for posting the link to the CH650 ground vibration test video.

Do you know if any testing was done of the plane we all have? That
would be the CH601XL.

Thanks,

Paul
XL grounded

psm(at)att.net

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject: GVT? Reply with quote

Hi Eddie,

Thanks for the reply.

As I understand it, the wings on the 650 are mounted differently from
the 601. I think the incidence angle is different or some such change.

Perhaps you are correct. It might not matter which variant of the
601 is tested. There are so many minor variations that it would be
impossible to test them all. I suppose I consider the 650 as a model
change rather than just another variant.

Paul
XL grounded
At 06:32 PM 5/24/2009, you wrote:

Quote:
Hi Paul,

>From what I understand the tests were done on the 650 which is
basically the same aircraft as the 601XL (different canopy and
rudder) so the test results would be valid regardless of the model,
as they involved the wings and control surfaces. As far as I know
these are the same on both the 601XL and 650 models.

Cheers
Eddie

Larry Hursh

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 2:24 pm    Post subject: GVT? Reply with quote

As I understand it, the wings on the 650 are mounted differently from
the 601. I think the incidence angle is different or some such change.

Paul
XL grounded
Paul and group,

I originally ordered the CH601XL fuselage kit but then upgraded to the CH650. I already had the wing center section where the wings attach inside the fuselage. There is no change where the wings attach to this center section. Yes, the angle of that center section HAS been changed from 9 degrees to 7 degrees (forward).

The one major change I can see is the REAR attachment plate. The design has changed but the major thing is the thickness. The older style rear attachment plate was about .065 thick. It is now .120 or about double the thickness. I was told it was increased because the "design was changed in order to allow the plate be be placed lower towards the bottom of the fuselage" (due to the angle being changed at the front of the wing).

I NOT an Engineer and I can only (wildly) speculate if this change in thickness was for some other reason. I will NOT state my opinion and let everyone else decide for themselves on this one, but I DO have my suspicions.

Blue skies to all,

Larry Hursh  

skyridersbn(at)yahoo.com
Edwardsburg, Michigan 
Zenith CH650 (N650LM Reserved) Working on fuselage now  

Will be Corvair Powered
Crankshaft already ground .010 - .010 Balanced and nitrited at Moldex  

I hope to someday be that person my dog thinks I am.....

"One rivet at a time......one day at a time.."

CH650 (Converted from CH601XL)
1/2 done with fuselage
will be Corvair Powered
MikeinPE

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: GVT? Reply with quote

Hi Larry

Would you be so kind and let me know when you received your plans for the 650. I got mine in January & it still shows the Root Doubler as .063"for the rear channel. I'm referring to part 6W7- 2. Is that the part that your plans have as .120"

"The one major change I can see is the REAR attachment plate. The design has changed but the major thing is the thickness. The older style rear attachment plate was about .065 thick. It is now .120 or about double the thickness. I was told it was increased because the "design was changed in order to allow the plate be be placed lower towards the bottom of the fuselage" (due to the angle being changed at the front of the wing)."

Keep on building!!!

Mike in Port Elizabeth, South Africa
ch650 scratchbuilder looking for a Corvair core!!!!

PatrickW

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: GVT? Reply with quote

careywf(at)sbcglobal.net wrote:
(5) Someone on this site stated a month or so back that all of the 601XL accidents involving "suspected aileron flutter" were of the hingless design. Am I correct?

No, just the opposite. They were all of the piano hinged variety.

If I'm wrong, then I welcome a correction with supporting data.

Does anyone have a concrete example of an XL having gone down that had the standard hingeless design? If so, please share a photograph.

- Pat

Gig Giacona

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: GVT? Reply with quote

PatrickW wrote:
careywf(at)sbcglobal.net wrote:
(5) Someone on this site stated a month or so back that all of the 601XL accidents involving "suspected aileron flutter" were of the hingless design. Am I correct?

No, just the opposite. They were all of the piano hinged variety.
- Pat

That would have been me. I did some research and could not find an proof of an example of a hingeless 601XL in the 6 accident aircraft. I even asked over at ZBAG and they couldn't provide an example. I've since learned that there may be one but the info came second hand and and I've not been able to confirm.

craig(at)craigandjean.com

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 6:43 am    Post subject: GVT? Reply with quote

FWIW a builder visiting the ZAC booth at Oshkosh noticed the thicker plates
on the 650 and asked Caleb about it (I was standing there). Caleb said that
to shift the plate on the 650 vertically (as compared to the 601XL) to
changes the wing's angle of incidence the height of the plate had to be
reduced. The increase in thickness was to give the plate adequate strength
in its attachment to the fuselage. Caleb said it had nothing to do with
strengthening the attachment between the rear spar and the plate.

-- Craig

--

PatrickW

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: GVT? Reply with quote

craig(at)craigandjean.com wrote:
FWIW a builder visiting the ZAC booth at Oshkosh noticed the thicker plates on the 650 and asked Caleb about it (I was standing there).
--

Here's the picture I took of the plate:

http://picasaweb.google.com/Patrick.Hoyt/Zodiac650AtOshkosh#5243761730774797442

I was probably just one of several builders to ask about that, but if it was me that you were standing next to, then it was nice to meet you Smile

- Pat

Thruster87

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: GVT? Reply with quote

The recent meetings between Zenair and German authorities (the DAeC and their DAR engineers as well as the BFU) were very productive with key steps taken towards re-establishing the good standing of the CH 601 XL aircraft throughout Europe. A very comprehensive presentation by the head of the GVT program that tested the aircraft made it very clear that the often suggested flutter is an exceedingly unlikely "smoking gun" to explain past accidents. The engineer in charge instead applauded Chris Heintz for the overall scores obtained by the Zodiac throughout the tests, as they were among the best ever seen in his lab. The results of the very thorough linear flutter analysis left no doubts in anyone's mind: "No tendency to flutter or divergence was found within the flight envelope of the CH 601 XL". This included tests from minimum to maximum take-off weight; with fixed as well as free controls; with control cable tensions varying from well below 10 lbs. to over 40 lbs, and with standard as well as overweight control surfaces (i.e. possibly due to excessive paint in the "real world"); all from sea level to over 15,000 feet and to speeds well above 400 km/h.

In order to ensure accurate results, all tests were carried out on two different Zodiac aircraft. The significance of the flap stops called-for as part of the regular design was confirmed. The aircraft which did not at first have these installed showed less satisfactory results than Zenair's own standard demo plane (with stops) which was one of the tested planes. Zenair will be issuing a Service Letter very shortly calling for owners/pilots to check their flap stops (and to install them prior to further flight operations if these have not been previously fitted). By the end of the tests, both aircraft (a classic CH 601 XL and the newer CH 650 E) presented the same consistent results: No tendency to flutter.
Also during this GVT testing process, it was noticed that the German-registered CH 601 XL on which the tests were conducted did not have part of the aileron-stop structure which was an integral part of the CH 601 XL at the time of German certification. Zenair has been asked by the DAeC to issue a Service Letter addressing this potential discrepancy for German-registered CH 601 XL; the DAeC will be issuing its own AD shortly to ensure the aircraft's ongoing compliance with LTF-UL certification.

Many questions were answered by the flutter expert after his presentation to German authorities; his answers and ample GVT data successfully satisfied those present that flutter was a non-issue for the Zenair Zodiac design. "The complete ground vibration tests (GVT) just completed were conducted to natural frequencies well over 70 Hz. This clearly demonstrates that the standard Zodiac design is flutter-free within (and well beyond) the entire range of its flight envelope" said Chris Heintz, who also attended the meetings.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith601-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: