Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mounting The Engine...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV8-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matt Dralle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject: Mounting The Engine... Reply with quote

Dear Listers,

I'm getting close to mounting the engine on the 'ol RV-8. I'd like to hold off riveting the front top skin on until I'm sure all of the wiring and what not works with the various engine sensors. Is it "safe" to mount the engine before this skin is in place? Also, I have a QB and I noticed that none of the rivets along the sides where the cowl hinges go are riveted save for a couple of temporary pop rivets. Can the engine be mounted before these two areas are completely riveted?

Thanks!

Matt Dralle
RV-8 #82880 N998RV
Finishing Up The Wheels & Brakes...

- The Matronics RV8-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV8-List

Matt Dralle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject: Mounting The Engine... Reply with quote

Hum, hadn't though about actually starting the motor without the skin on. I was just thinking about whether it would hold the static weight. I guess to test all the wiring, the engine would really need to be started.

So I guess I'll rephrase my question to "Could the engine be hung AND run without the top skin and sides riveted?" ...?

Matt

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Last edited by Matt Dralle on Fri May 29, 2009 8:57 am; edited 1 time in total
carl.froehlich(at)verizon

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 4:03 pm    Post subject: Mounting The Engine... Reply with quote

Not sure how to respond other than why would you want to do this?

- There should be no wiring issue that cannot be resolved after the plane is
built. If your design does not support this objective, you may want to make
some changes. An easy thing to do is to make the panel fully removable
using Molex plugs. I have never had to do the upside down head under the
panel thing on my 8A.

- All engine temperature senders can be tested with a hot air gun. You can
draw a vacuum for MP. You can run the electric fuel pump to check flow rate
and such.

- Your first engine start essentially starts the timer to your first flight.
You could of course go back and re-pickle the engine for storage but there
is little to gain other scratching the itch to hear the engine (and believe
me this is a very strong itch).

- I would not recommend even fitting the cowl before the top skin is riveted
on. Remember however to take a piece of light aluminum angle across the
baggage door before you cut out the baggage door skin - cleckoing the angle
across what will be the open door area. This prevents the firewall from
flexing when you fit the cowl.

- I suspect you will find riveting of the cowl hinges to be harder after
mounting the engine.

Carl Froehlich
RV-8A (475 hrs)
RV-10 (fuselage)

--

breece28117(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 4:22 pm    Post subject: Mounting The Engine... Reply with quote

I'm building an RV-8, also, and just hung�the engine a couple of weeks ago (IO-360-A1B6). I don't think it would be good to run the engine without the top skin on. You need to have that skin in place before you install the cowling. Van says that you should have all your baffles and cowling in place before running the engine in order to provide adequate cooling the the cylinders.

I've got the side and top hinges clecoed in place�around the firewall. I don't have the top skin on yet, because I still have some work to do underneath. I wanted to install the baffles next, but realized that the top cowl needs to be in place first. Then I found that the prop needs to be on before the cowl is put on. I am planning to put the prop on in the next couple of days. The top skin has to be riveted in place before the cowl is installed, because the clecos will interfere - also to get the top of the firewall in the right place to fit the cowling. So it looks like I'm gonna have to go back to the panel and other stuff right behind the firewall and get all that finished before I can go back to the engine side. I hope that hanging the engine will not affect the fit of the top skin.

A question I have is: how long is it okay to have the engine exposed before it is run? Also, what should I do to the engine before it's ready to run? I think it might be six months before I crank it up. It was packed at the factory for long-term storage.

Breece

HeathCherneski

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 5:50 am    Post subject: Mounting The Engine... Reply with quote

It will be necessary to run the engine without the cowling on to check for leaks and adjust mixture cut-off etc. you should limit ground runs as much as possible. Run to check all systems and for leaks and what-not. seat rings as soon as possible after taxi tests and ground runs. Good luck!

[b]Heath Cherneski[/b]
heath.cherneski(at)gmail.com (heath.cherneski(at)gmail.com)
hchernes(at)utsi.edu (hchernes(at)utsi.edu)
heath.cherneski(at)us.army.mil (heath.cherneski(at)us.army.mil)

Paul Valovich

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 7:11 am    Post subject: Mounting The Engine... Reply with quote

I’m building an -8A QB. I’m not ging to rivet the final top skin until the baffles, cowl and final wiring tweaks are done. I’ve got the engine hung, prop on, cowl fitted and am currently battling the black magic of the baffles. I have Skybolt cams for the cowl so fabricated the mounting strips with clecos in every hole of the firewall. Also used clecoes in every hole of the top skin.

I will not run the engine until the top skin is riveted. Works for me.
Booger
N192NM Reserved (again)

[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV8-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: