Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jabiru 3300 starter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaybannist(at)cs.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:34 pm    Post subject: Jabiru 3300 starter Reply with quote

I am helping a friend put together a power schematic for a Jabiru 3300. I have seen several sample schematics that have both a starter solenoid and a starter contactor. Is this really what is required and if so why ? Is a starter contactor any different than a battery contactor?

Jay Bannister
Email message sent from CompuServe - visit us today at http://www.cs.com
[quote][b]

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
rdunhamtn(at)hotmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:26 pm    Post subject: Jabiru 3300 starter Reply with quote

Jay C

I have a Jab six-banger on my Sonex.

The Jabiru 3300A engine starter does not require a "solenoid". A simple starter contactor is sufficient. This requires a "hot" wire to the contactor via a starter button (or whatever device you prefer) to activate or close the relay during engine crank.

As to whether to use a battery contactor C I would say this. There are electrical architectural drawings in the Aeroelectric Connection to satisfy either iteration. My first plane did not use a BAT contactor. My Sonex has one. The advantage of using the BAT contactor C IMHO C is that by turning off the Master Switch (such as in emergencies) you are able to achieve what I call "max cold" conditions. The least stuff is energized and chances of a fire are therefore (theoretically) less. The other advantage is that C by using small wires to activate the relay C you don't have fat wires on the panel. The advantages there are threefold. Less current C less chance of RFI and simpler wiring at the panel.

Now C I must hasten to add that I am not an expert. I'm a fan. I have wired three planes so far according to the 'Connection and all have performed as expected with no significant electrical issues. The most important things which must drive any and all decisions in wiring airplanes is that you understand the architecture C make decisions based on sound physics and do the best craftsmanship you are able!

Rodney in Tennessee
Unabashed Nuckollhead

DO NOT ARCHIVE
Insert movie times and more without leaving HotmailŽ. See how.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

jaybannist(at)cs.com

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:54 pm    Post subject: Jabiru 3300 starter Reply with quote

Rodney,

Thanks for the reply. I have a background in electronics (from a LONG time ago), but I still get baffled by some of the airplane wiring diagrams I see. Believe me, I insist on understanding everything about a schematic before I settle on it. Nuckolls usually clears up things I don't understand.

Humm - "Nuckollhead" can take on an entirely different meaning from its usual application. Guess I consider myself that other kind {;>)

Jay
Do not archive

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: