Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RV-8 F-830C-1 Floor Stiffeners - When To Rivet...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV8-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matt Dralle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:26 pm    Post subject: RV-8 F-830C-1 Floor Stiffeners - When To Rivet... Reply with quote

RV-8 Builders:

In Section 8 of the builders manual (Page 8-50 for the 4/26/07 rev), Drawing 77, it appears that they are having you hold off riveting the floor stiffeners along the sides of the stick mount until *after* the floor skins are installed rather than before they are installed. Is this because there's no way you can get the floor skins into the right position once these stiffeners are riveted on? I'm referring to F-830C-1 Floor Stiffeners.

That's kind of a bummer to have to try to rivet those after the skin is installed for obvious reasons, but begs a bigger question; what about down the road when you might have to remove the floor skins for some reason. Do you have to drill those stiffener rivets out too? Ugg...

Matt Dralle
RV-8 #82880 N998RV
Second Try On The Wheel Pants...

- The Matronics RV8-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV8-List

vshimsl(at)live.com

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:24 pm    Post subject: RV-8 F-830C-1 Floor Stiffeners - When To Rivet... Reply with quote

Adding those stiffeners was one of the last things I did on my RV-8 which is being inspected this Saturday. Those floors are a major pain getting in without the stiffeners let alone trying them with.  Attaching the stiffeners with the floor in place proved to be no big deal. I recall doing all myself.

The main 'gotcha' when installing the floors is that many of us forget about the flap fairings (comes with wing kit I believe). If you permanently install the floor before installing these fairings C you will have to use pop rivets to attach them to the fuselage. No big deal really C unless you are Oskosh Grand Champion bound C but still an annoying revelation.

Also C the floors shoudn't be installed until you resolved locations for electrical items like aileron trim C comm and transponder antenae C wiring runs C pitot static lines C etc.

I Pop riveted the floor as per plans. I also have nothing under them I need access too. You could use plate nuts in lieu of pop rivets C but at (at) 20 minutes install time per plate nut you would need to remove the floors several times to offset the speed advantage of the Pop rivets.

As a 'gotcha' prevention strategy C I would suggest all builders wrap those stiffeners up with a labeled tie C and then tape them to the flap intersection fairings.

Regards C

Vince H.
RV8 N8432 'preparing for ascendency'

> Date: Thu C 4 Jun 2009 18:24:34 -0700
Quote:
To: rv8-list(at)matronics.com; rv-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: RV-8 F-830C-1 Floor Stiffeners - When To Rivet...

--> RV8-List message posted by: Matt Dralle <dralle(at)matronics.com>

RV-8 Builders:

In Section 8 of the builders manual (Page 8-50 for the 4/26/07 rev) C Drawing 77 C it appears that they are having you hold off riveting the floor stiffeners along the sides of the stick mount until *after* the floor skins are installed rather than before they are installed. Is this because there's no way you can get the floor skins into the right position once these stiffeners are riveted on? I'm referring to F-830C-1 Floor Stiffeners.

That's kind of a bummer to have to try to rivet those after the skin is installed for obvious reasons C but begs a bigger question; what about down the road when you might have to remove the floor skins for some reason. Do you have to drill those stiffener rivets out too? Ugg...

Matt Dralle
RV-8 #82880 N998RV

Lauren found her dream laptop. Find the PC that’s right for you. [quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Matt Dralle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:09 am    Post subject: RV-8 F-830C-1 Floor Stiffeners - When To Rivet... Reply with quote

At 10:24 PM 6/4/2009 Thursday, Vincent Himsl wrote:
Quote:
<snip>

I Pop riveted the floor as per plans. I also have nothing under them I need access too. You could use plate nuts in lieu of pop rivets, but at (at) 20 minutes install time per plate nut you would need to remove the floors several times to offset the speed advantage of the Pop rivets.

<snip>

Vince H

Thanks everybody for the feedback. Installing those two-legged nut plates are definitely a pain in the rear. What's everyone's opinion on using #6 AN Rivnuts instead ( http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/ha/rivnuts.html )? Seems like the sheer and clamping strength of these has to be at least as good as those pop rivets? I used the #6 AN Rivnuts to attach the canopy and they are really nice, easy to install, and hold very well. I've attached a picture of them from my canopy frame for those that haven't see them before.

Matt Dralle
RV-8 #82880 N998RV

2008.11.24_-_RV-8_-_Replaced_Upper_Rivnuts_(3).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  93.13 KB
 Viewed:  2039 Time(s)

2008.11.24_-_RV-8_-_Replaced_Upper_Rivnuts_(3).jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV8-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: