Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

N8432 First Flight

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV8-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vshimsl(at)live.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:14 pm    Post subject: N8432 First Flight Reply with quote

Van's RV8 Standard Kit
SN: 80296
Started: March 1997
Finished: June 2009

Sunday afternoon C my RV8 became an airplane. While I prepare for ascendency into the 25% club. I will give you some details.

Inspection:
Was Saturday. The D.A.R from Spokane was very thorough C but after having close to 8 people look over my RV beforehand C he found little amiss. This is as it should be.

First Flight:
Was Sunday afternoon. Pilot was my good friend Mike Ensley who has decades of tail dragger experience C and over 100 hours in his rv7. The builder in me wanted to watch it fly more than the pilot in me wanted to be the first to fly it. I am also the classic one who builds too much and flies too little.

Mike began with some fast taxi tests then stopped at the end of the taxiway C did a runup and announced C "Experimental 8432 departing runway 23".

Never thought I would hear that.

Before I could worry about the wings falling off C he was 100 feet off the runway and climbing very fast.  Everyone congratulated me but my focus was on that small airplane circling ever higher around the airport. I had a hand held C but didn't use it. I didn't want to interrupt the moment for either him nor I.  Finally I mustered a "How's it going?". "Fine C I am having a ball".

Mike landed C taxied over to applause from our small gathering of friends and family. He slid back the canopy C turned to me with the RV Grin and said C "You now have an airplane". Funny thing about that grin as I had it too. 

We returned home to pizza and beer C and to watch the jerky video my brother made. He said if I wanted a pro I should have paid real money. Brothers are like that. 

Post First Flight:
Mike said flight was smooth with no major issues. No perceived 'heavy wing' C and no indication I royally botched the wing mounting. Mike said my Tach was off by a factor of two on my LightSpeed C and my elevator trim tab switch was wired backwards. I said what do you mean? Push the up switch C trim tab moves up C Press down C and the trim tab moves down...think about it.

Mike said he didn't recall using the aileron trim C no need. He also mentioned that he had trouble getting the tail to stay down on landing. I told him a single pilot and full fuel puts the CG pretty far forward on an RV8.

Now on to pilot/builder rust removal C tail dragger and RV transition training. I am also going to start learning how to actually use the instruments I installed.

I have a long list of people who were pivotal in my RV8 not winding up under a blue tarp in the back yard C and I have thanked them all. But this thank you goes to you C my builder's group. I lost count of the times I would get an answer from you often as fast as I wrote it. The countless encouragements C news both good and bad C the wackiness C the sadness when we lost someone C the primer wars C the untold 'not on my bird' declarations C and of course the traditional announcement we all hope to make C first flight.

I am still a builder as I have the wheel pants remaining C but my moment of ascendency is fast approaching and frankly C twelve years in the land of 'building experience' is a very long time.

Good luck to all of you and (again a list tradition) 'Just Keep pounding those rivets!

Vince_Himsl
Idaho / Washington USA
RV8 N8432 - Done!
Insert movie times and more without leaving Hotmail®. See how. [quote][b]

- The Matronics RV8-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV8-List
Larry Bowen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:34 am    Post subject: N8432 First Flight Reply with quote

Good job, Vince.  Congrats!
--
Larry Bowen
Larry(at)BowenAero.com
http://BowenAero.com

On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 3:09 AM, Vincent Himsl <vshimsl(at)live.com (vshimsl(at)live.com)> wrote:
[quote] Van's RV8 Standard Kit

Sunday afternoon, my RV8 became an airplane. While I prepare for ascendency into the 25% club. I will give you some details.

Inspection:
Was Saturday. The D.A.R from Spokane was very thorough, but after having close to 8 people look over my RV beforehand, he found little amiss. This is as it should be.

First Flight:
Was Sunday afternoon. Pilot was my good friend Mike Ensley who has decades of tail dragger experience, and over 100 hours in his rv7. The builder in me wanted to watch it fly more than the pilot in me wanted to be the first to fly it. I am also the classic one who builds too much and flies too little.

Mike began with some fast taxi tests then stopped at the end of the taxiway, did a runup and announced, "Experimental 8432 departing runway 23".

Before I could worry about the wings falling off, he was 100 feet off the runway and climbing very fast.  Everyone congratulated me but my focus was on that small airplane circling ever higher around the airport. I had a hand held, but didn't use it. I didn't want to interrupt the moment for either him nor I.  Finally I mustered a "How's it going?". "Fine, I am having a ball".

Mike landed, taxied over to applause from our small gathering of friends and family. He slid back the canopy, turned to me with the RV Grin and said, "You now have an airplane". Funny thing about that grin as I had it too. 

We returned home to pizza and beer, and to watch the jerky video my brother made. He said if I wanted a pro I should have paid real money. Brothers are like that. 

Post First Flight:
Mike said flight was smooth with no major issues. No perceived 'heavy wing', and no indication I royally botched the wing mounting. Mike said my Tach was off by a factor of two on my LightSpeed, and my elevator trim tab switch was wired backwards. I said what do you mean? Push the up switch, trim tab moves up, Press down, and the trim tab moves down...think about it.

Mike said he didn't recall using the aileron trim, no need. He also mentioned that he had trouble getting the tail to stay down on landing. I told him a single pilot and full fuel puts the CG pretty far forward on an RV8.

Now on to pilot/builder rust removal, tail dragger and RV transition training. I am also going to start learning how to actually use the instruments I installed.

I have a long list of people who were pivotal in my RV8 not winding up under a blue tarp in the back yard, and I have thanked them all. But this thank you goes to you, my builder's group. I lost count of the times I would get an answer from you often as fast as I wrote it. The countless encouragements, news both good and bad, the wackiness, the sadness when we lost someone, the primer wars, the untold 'not on my bird' declarations, and of course the traditional announcement we all hope to make, first flight.

I am still a builder as I have the wheel pants remaining, but my moment of ascendency is fast approaching and frankly, twelve years in the land of 'building experience' is a very long time.

Good luck to all of you and (again a list tradition) 'Just Keep pounding those rivets!

Vince_Himsl
Idaho / Washington USA
RV8 N8432 - Done!

Insert movie times and more without leaving Hotmail®. See how.
Quote:

et="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV8-List
tp://forums.matronics.com
_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
rv8iator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:22 am    Post subject: N8432 First Flight Reply with quote

Vince,

Well done!

C. Stone
Newberg, OR

Van's RV8 Standard Kit

Sunday afternoon, my RV8 became an airplane. While I prepare for ascendency into the 25% club. I will give you some details.

Inspection:
Was Saturday. The D.A.R from Spokane was very thorough, but after having close to 8 people look over my RV beforehand, he found little amiss. This is as it should be.

First Flight:
Was Sunday afternoon. Pilot was my good friend Mike Ensley who has decades of tail dragger experience, and over 100 hours in his rv7. The builder in me wanted to watch it fly more than the pilot in me wanted to be the first to fly it. I am also the classic one who builds too much and flies too little.

Mike began with some fast taxi tests then stopped at the end of the taxiway, did a runup and announced, "Experimental 8432 departing runway 23".

Before I could worry about the wings falling off, he was 100 feet off the runway and climbing very fast. Everyone congratulated me but my focus was on that small airplane circling ever higher around the airport. I had a hand held, but didn't use it. I didn't want to interrupt the moment for either him nor I. Finally I mustered a "How's it going?". "Fine, I am having a ball".

Mike landed, taxied over to applause from our small gathering of friends and family. He slid back the canopy, turned to me with the RV Grin and said, "You now have an airplane". Funny thing about that grin as I had it too.

We returned home to pizza and beer, and to watch the jerky video my brother made. He said if I wanted a pro I should have paid real money. Brothers are like that.

Post First Flight:
Mike said flight was smooth with no major issues. No perceived 'heavy wing', and no indication I royally botched the wing mounting. Mike said my Tach was off by a factor of two on my LightSpeed, and my elevator trim tab switch was wired backwards. I said what do you mean? Push the up switch, trim tab moves up, Press down, and the trim tab moves down...think about it.

Mike said he didn't recall using the aileron trim, no need. He also mentioned that he had trouble getting the tail to stay down on landing. I told him a single pilot and full fuel puts the CG pretty far forward on an RV8.

Now on to pilot/builder rust removal, tail dragger and RV transition training. I am also going to start learning how to actually use the instruments I installed.

I have a long list of people who were pivotal in my RV8 not winding up under a blue tarp in the back yard, and I have thanked them all. But this thank you goes to you, my builder's group. I lost count of the times I would get an answer from you often as fast as I wrote it. The countless encouragements, news both good and bad, the wackiness, the sadness when we lost someone, the primer wars, the untold 'not on my bird' declarations, and of course the traditional announcement we all hope to make, first flight.

I am still a builder as I have the wheel pants remaining, but my moment of ascendency is fast approaching and frankly, twelve years in the land of 'building experience' is a very long time.

Vince_Himsl
Idaho / Washington USA
RV8 N8432 - Done!

Michael Wynn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:06 am    Post subject: N8432 First Flight Reply with quote

Congratulations, Vince

I am almost six years into the build. Your success helps us all stay
focused and realize this is possible.

Michael Wynn
RV 8 Fiberglass
San Ramon, CA

In a message dated 6/9/2009 12:14:38 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
vshimsl(at)live.com writes:

Van's RV8 Standard Kit

Sunday afternoon, my RV8 became an airplane. While I prepare for
ascendency into the 25% club. I will give you some details.

Inspection:
Was Saturday. The D.A.R from Spokane was very thorough, but after having
close to 8 people look over my RV beforehand, he found little amiss. This is
as it should be.

First Flight:
Was Sunday afternoon. Pilot was my good friend Mike Ensley who has decades
of tail dragger experience, and over 100 hours in his rv7. The builder in
me wanted to watch it fly more than the pilot in me wanted to be the first
to fly it. I am also the classic one who builds too much and flies too
little.

Mike began with some fast taxi tests then stopped at the end of the
taxiway, did a runup and announced, "Experimental 8432 departing runway 23".

Before I could worry about the wings falling off, he was 100 feet off the
runway and climbing very fast. Everyone congratulated me but my focus was
on that small airplane circling ever higher around the airport. I had a
hand held, but didn't use it. I didn't want to interrupt the moment for either
him nor I. Finally I mustered a "How's it going?". "Fine, I am having a
ball".

Mike landed, taxied over to applause from our small gathering of friends
and family. He slid back the canopy, turned to me with the RV Grin and said,
"You now have an airplane". Funny thing about that grin as I had it too.

We returned home to pizza and beer, and to watch the jerky video my
brother made. He said if I wanted a pro I should have paid real money. Brothers
are like that.

Post First Flight:
Mike said flight was smooth with no major issues. No perceived 'heavy
wing', and no indication I royally botched the wing mounting. Mike said my Tach
was off by a factor of two on my LightSpeed, and my elevator trim tab
switch was wired backwards. I said what do you mean? Push the up switch, trim
tab moves up, Press down, and the trim tab moves down...think about it.

Mike said he didn't recall using the aileron trim, no need. He also
mentioned that he had trouble getting the tail to stay down on landing. I told
him a single pilot and full fuel puts the CG pretty far forward on an RV8

Terry Watson

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:36 am    Post subject: N8432 First Flight Reply with quote

Vince,

Congratulations on getting it airborne, and thanks for the great write-up. There is a bunch of motivation in there.

Terry
RV-8A Seattle
90% and holding

From: owner-rv8-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv8-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Vincent Himsl
Sent: Tuesday, June 09, 2009 12:09 AM
To: rv8-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: N8432 First Flight

Van's RV8 Standard Kit

Inspection:
Was Saturday. The D.A.R from Spokane was very thorough, but after having close to 8 people look over my RV beforehand, he found little amiss. This is as it should be.

First Flight:

Before I could worry about the wings falling off, he was 100 feet off the runway and climbing very fast. Everyone congratulated me but my focus was on that small airplane circling ever higher around the airport. I had a hand held, but didn't use it. I didn't want to interrupt the moment for either him nor I. Finally I mustered a "How's it going?". "Fine, I am having a ball".

Mike landed, taxied over to applause from our small gathering of friends and family. He slid back the canopy, turned to me with the RV Grin and said, "You now have an airplane". Funny thing about that grin as I had it too.

We returned home to pizza and beer, and to watch the jerky video my brother made. He said if I wanted a pro I should have paid real money. Brothers are like that.

Post First Flight:

I have a long list of people who were pivotal in my RV8 not winding up under a blue tarp in the back yard, and I have thanked them all. But this thank you goes to you, my builder's group. I lost count of the times I would get an answer from you often as fast as I wrote it. The countless encouragements, news both good and bad, the wackiness, the sadness when we lost someone, the primer wars, the untold 'not on my bird' declarations, and of course the traditional announcement we all hope to make, first flight.

Vince_Himsl
Idaho / Washington USA
RV8 N8432 - Done!

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

Tom D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:31 pm    Post subject: N8432 First Flight Reply with quote

Way to go Vince. Seems like every time I'm ready to throw in the towel someone finishes there project and I can read there excitement in reaching there goal and the satisfaction of there accomplishment.Your an inspiration to all of us still pounding away.
Tom Davies
N60TD (Reserved)
2 years 6 months....firewall forward
[quote] ---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV8-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: