Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I got Zbagged three times on Friday - Flight Report.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cookwithgas

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:06 am    Post subject: I got Zbagged three times on Friday - Flight Report. Reply with quote

On friday my daughter and I flew to Austin, Texas and back plus a little sightseeing with an old friend, adding four hours to the 601XL hobbs.

I got Zbagged three times. I'll explain later in the story. I left Grand Prairie at 10:00AM with no flight plan except to head South and find Georgetown on the GPS once I got in the air. I had looked at the sectional beforehand and noticed Waco on the way so decided to stop there for fuel.

I had checked the weather and had good reports the night before but it looked nasty all around us when we decided to take off. The clouds were high, so we contacted ground, then tower and departed toward the South. We found an untowered executive airport near Waco and landed for fuel. It was a full-service place and I paid $4.47 for fuel. I only needed 10 gallons and the lady inside told me most people complain about the price. I told her it was worth it because they helped me find Georgetown and told me about some towers to avoid along with some other advice for the area. While I was in there I ran into a guy who was staring at my airplane from the office. He said it looked better than most RV's he has seen. I told him it was a CH601XL and he got this funny look on his face as if to be surprised that I had actually flown it there. He said "isn't that the one that the wings fall off?" I said yes and I would not fly over the office on departure if it would make him feel better. ZBAGGED at my first stop!

Next stop Georgetown. I have some friends I have not seen in many years living near Austin and had made arrangements to meet them there and take them flying over their property. I contacted the tower and landed on a beautiful day and was met on the ramp by an old man with a walkie talkie who inquired about my fuel needs and whether or not I'd be staying over night. He said it would cost me $4 if I decided to stay overnight unless I purchased fuel. He then asked me what kind of airplane it was and he noted that it "sure is shiny." I told hm and he right away put on the ZBAG face. "oooooh" he said with a grimace. I told him I had a BRS and he said "good idea." ZBAGGED for the second time in one day!

My daughter went shopping with the wife and I took the husband flying over their property and had a wonderful time making tight turns over their house and doing slow and low flights over their barn, waving at their kids and sister back at the house. I think he may have been bitten by the bug and I wouldn't be surprised if my friend starts taking flying lessons soon. We headed back to Georgetown airport over some beautiful lakes and called at 10-miles out. The non-FAA tower guy told me to do a right pattern for runway 18 and call when I was two-miles out. I continued chatting with my friend, then at about 5 miles out the tower called back. "5-sierra-lima, what kind of airplane are you flying?" I told him a CH601XL. Long pause. "Uuuuhhhh." long pause again. "Is that a Zenith 601XL?" Yes Sir I replied. "Uuuuh." another pause. "How fast are you traveling?" "Indicating 115 sir" I replied. "OK that's good.... you be careful...... enter right downwind for 18, cleared to land" ZBAGGED again! I guess the walkie talkie guy had been talking to the tower guy while I was gone. Or maybe he had been reading his copy of AOPA while I was gone.

It was a great day of flying and with a tail-wind and smoother air returning to Grand Prairie. The skies were kind of hazy when we got near home but that took away the bumps. The tower at Grand Prairie knows me now (maybe they alert the fire trucks every time I call in) and they call me "five-zero-lima." I think it's funny they get my call sign wrong most of the time. It is probably the way I say "sierra."

The next time you, as a Zenith builder or flyer get ZBAGGED, post it here and let us know about it. Terry Phillips (not Bill) and his merry gang of zbaggers have really made my flying experiences interesting! I used to get compliments on the airplane but now I get compliments, then grimaces. At least nobody recognizes the airplane until I tell them~!

Scott in Texas
601XL/Corvair
136 hours and climbing

- The Matronics Zenith-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List
craig(at)craigandjean.com

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:15 am    Post subject: I got Zbagged three times on Friday - Flight Report. Reply with quote

This is GREAT! With them all worried about the airframe they never get a
chance to worry that you are flying behind a Corvair. Smile

-- Craig

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

trainnut01(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:38 am    Post subject: I got Zbagged three times on Friday - Flight Report. Reply with quote

On Jun 14, 2009, at 10:06 AM, cookwithgas wrote:
Quote:

Scott

Last Wednesday the man who previously purchased my RV7 (my first
aircraft building project) was in my automotive shop the get his car
repaired. First he bragged about the performance of the RV (20 mph
faster at cruise than spec) Then he asked how my S6S project was
going. When I told him that since our last meeting I had forgone the
S6S and was building a 601XL his chin absolutely hit the floor. He had
heard all sorts of stories and was convinced theywere all true. He
asked lots of questions but obviously was not buying any of my
answers. At that point I really convinced him I was totally crazy by
announcing my choice of Corvair power. We parted not quite as close as
we once were and with me convinced that if I should have an accident
he will appear at my funeral with a banner reading "I told you so".

Carroll Jernigan
Quote:

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p 48034#248034

jaybannist(at)cs.com

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:12 pm    Post subject: I got Zbagged three times on Friday - Flight Report. Reply with quote

Hans,

Not an answer to your question (which is totally irrelevant anyway), but to your implication. If, by your loaded question, you are implying that all the XL crashes "had identical causes", you are WAY off base !!! You will have to find some other "skunk up a tree" to bark at.

Jay Bannister
Do not archive

--

Iberplanes

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:49 pm    Post subject: I got Zbagged three times on Friday - Flight Report. Reply with quote

Right Paul, the same happens here in Europe. That´s to sad for all of us. Also take a look at barnstormers, you´ll have plenty of XLs.

bye,

Alberto Martin
www.iberplanes.es
Igualada - Barcelona - Spain

----------------------------------------------
Zodiac 601 XL Builder
Serial: 6-7011

Tail Kit: Finished
Wings: Not Started
Fuselage: (at) home
Engine: Jabiru 3300
[quote][b]

Igualada - Barcelona - Spain
d.goddard(at)ns.sympatico

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:52 pm    Post subject: I got Zbagged three times on Friday - Flight Report. Reply with quote

Instead of ranting and raving, and launcing ad hominem attacks on individuals who's reaction to concerns about safety is different than yours. Why don't you resort to the only truth we know so far.

No known cause of structural failures has thus far been determined, and all tests so far conducted have revealed no significant shortcomings in the design.

Any belief that the airframe IS without fault is simply conjecture, as is the belief that there is a major fault.

Coming forth with another pointless attack and starting this whole argument up again is childish and stupid.

Zbag is a group concerned with ensuring your (and their own) safety as far as I have been advised, and they have accomplished some sound work in that direction although it did not reveal a fault. Safety is a worthwhile endeavour, even if it is inconvenient from time to time. It appears at this time that the XL is safe to fly if strict attention is applied to make sure that the flight envelope is never breached, and maintenance is applied to a strict standard. I hope that future statistics reinforce that opinion.
[quote][b]

ggower_99(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:10 pm    Post subject: I got Zbagged three times on Friday - Flight Report. Reply with quote

When I was a kid, I used to read every night before sleep, (now old) books of adventure travel around the world, I dreamed to be a Indiana Jones Type of guy. The guy with the Land Rover with a canoe in the roof, in the Camel cigarettes advetizing was "me as a grown up guy" photo Smile ....

Now about this mail (Paul's answer) came into memory one book from old Arabia...

And I remember this part:
It was known that camels were (probably still are) very dificult to train... The said they are worse than mules... So when a guy had a really dificult camel and beguin complaining about his camel... There was a saying:
"Dont talk bad things about your camel, or you will not sell it" 

Well, only some memories from my live, previous to TV and internet and Zenith airplanes life Smile

Saludos
Gary Gower
Building 601 XL Jab 3300.
Fuselage finished, start building the flutter free wings Smile
Do not archive

--- On Sun, 6/14/09, Paul Mulwitz <psm(at)att.net> wrote:

Quote:

Subject: Re: I got Zbagged three times on Friday - Flight Report.
To: zenith-list(at)matronics.com
Date: Sunday, June 14, 2009, 4:51 PM

--> Zenith-List message posted by: Paul Mulwitz <psm(at)att.net (psm(at)att.net)>

To all those charming people who have suggested I should sell the airplane I have invested 4 years of my life in, I have the following response.

Please make an offer to buy my plane. To my knowledge, there is nobody on Earth willing to buy an XL right now at any price. I would be delighted to be proved wrong.

Paul
XL grounded
do not archive
At 01:35 PM 6/14/2009, you wrote:
Quote:
Oh, Paul. This is truly sad. = the many List utilities such as List sp; --> http://f= - List Contributionsp;   -Matt Dralle, cs.com/contribution" target=_blank>http://www.matronics.com/contribution<=============

[quote][b]

dredmoody(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:42 pm    Post subject: I got Zbagged three times on Friday - Flight Report. Reply with quote

HOOO - WHEEE! And I thought local SW LA card games were contentious! For the record, I've been ZBAGed as well. I think any of us who build, fly or even speak in support of the 601XL design will encounter some of that. No big deal. I'm a dentist, a political conservative, and I have Irish ancestors. If I can't take some heat, I'll just have to commit sideways and get it over with. I don't think I'll unsubscribe just yet because every now and then there's something entertaining and/or informative to read here. True, there's a lot of horsecrap but maybe there's a pony in there too, huh?

I'm not an aeronautical engineer nor do I have lots of hours as PIC, and I've only built two planes and assisted on two others (they do all fly however, and none of them has crashed... yet), so I am not an aviation authority by any measure. Some of you on the list are extensively experienced. My greatest experience is in my genuine love of people, even those who are sometimes rash and discourteous. We all make such mistakes once in a while and what matters more is how we handle these faux pas. No need to have a divorce because of an arguement. How about we all Cajun up a bit and get some perspective? (I know it's supposd to be "Cowboy Up" but Texas gets enough publicity as it is). Put the knives away and sit back down and play cards, alright? Anybody need another beer?

Here's some free advice that's worth about what you're paying for it: Don't get all worked up about the opinions of other people... especially people who hold opinions that you don't agree with. Got that? If you already think they're all wet, don't take them so seriously. As for the equity hit on our airplanes, it has already happened. It doesn't matter whether ZBAG had great motives or self serving ones; the negative vibe is already out there and it will only fade if we build and maintain and fly our planes properly... and honestly, the bad PR will probably still be there anyway. Hurling invective will not change any of that and besides, invective hurling was never a very fun sport to begin with.

Now on the what I did today subject: Nothing with the airplane. My grandaughter turned 4 today so I gave her a tent and played camping games with her. I make very good imaginary bacon. Sunday however, I flew to the gulf coast and back; logged 1.5 hours; still fussing with the intake hose and the CHTs and EGTs at various power settings. I've got an erratic left tank gauge that is probably (I hope) just a bad wire or loose connection. It's not a big deal yet since I stick the tanks before I fly and I don't fly more than 2 hours at a time so far. I've got 11.6 hours on the plane and no bad behavior from the plane at all. I wish I had the engine behaving as well as the airframe but that will come in time. I didn't get this old and patient and wise very quickly either. What are you all laughing at?

Ed
[quote][b]

ernieth(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:11 am    Post subject: I got Zbagged three times on Friday - Flight Report. Reply with quote

GREAT Post!  

On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 11:41 PM, Edward Moody II <dredmoody(at)cox.net (dredmoody(at)cox.net)> wrote:
[quote] HOOO - WHEEE! And I thought local SW LA card games were contentious! For the record, I've been ZBAGed as well. I think any of us who build, fly or even speak in support of the 601XL design will encounter some of that. No big deal. I'm a dentist, a political conservative, and I have Irish ancestors. If I can't take some heat, I'll just have to commit sideways and get it over with. I don't think I'll unsubscribe just yet because every now and then there's something entertaining and/or informative to read here. True, there's a lot of horsecrap but maybe there's a pony in there too, huh?

I'm not an aeronautical engineer nor do I have lots of hours as PIC, and I've only built two planes and assisted on two others (they do all fly however, and none of them has crashed... yet), so I am not an aviation authority by any measure. Some of you on the list are extensively experienced. My greatest experience is in my genuine love of people, even those who are sometimes rash and discourteous. We all make such mistakes once in a while and what matters more is how we handle these faux pas. No need to have a divorce because of an arguement. How about we all Cajun up a bit and get some perspective? (I know it's supposd to be "Cowboy Up" but Texas gets enough publicity as it is). Put the knives away and sit back down and play cards, alright? Anybody need another beer?

Here's some free advice that's worth about what you're paying for it: Don't get all worked up about the opinions of other people... especially people who hold opinions that you don't agree with. Got that? If you already think they're all wet, don't take them so seriously. As for the equity hit on our airplanes, it has already happened. It doesn't matter whether ZBAG had great motives or self serving ones; the negative vibe is already out there and it will only fade if we build and maintain and fly our planes properly... and honestly, the bad PR will probably still be there anyway. Hurling invective will not change any of that and besides, invective hurling was never a very fun sport to begin with.

Now on the what I did today subject: Nothing with the airplane. My grandaughter turned 4 today so I gave her a tent and played camping games with her. I make very good imaginary bacon. Sunday however, I flew to the gulf coast and back; logged 1.5 hours; still fussing with the intake hose and the CHTs and EGTs at various power settings. I've got an erratic left tank gauge that is probably (I hope) just a bad wire or loose connection. It's not a big deal yet since I stick the tanks before I fly and I don't fly more than 2 hours at a time so far. I've got 11.6 hours on the plane and no bad behavior from the plane at all. I wish I had the engine behaving as well as the airframe but that will come in time. I didn't get this old and patient and wise very quickly either. What are you all laughing at?

Ed
Quote:

arget="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List
tp://forums.matronics.com
_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[b]

pdn8r(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:37 am    Post subject: I got Zbagged three times on Friday - Flight Report. Reply with quote

Great post and message Ed. I think we need a lot more of the "what did you do today" posts and a few less of the "if you don't agree with my opinion you must be an idiot posts."

Bill Pagan EAA Tech Counselor #4395
601XL QBK/Corvair/N565BW (RES)
--- On Mon, 6/15/09, Edward Moody II <dredmoody(at)cox.net> wrote:
Quote:

Subject: Re: I got Zbagged three times on Friday - Flight Report.
To: zenith-list(at)matronics.com
Date: Monday, June 15, 2009, 11:41 PM

HOOO - WHEEE! And I thought local SW LA card games were contentious! For the record, I've been ZBAGed as well. I think any of us who build, fly or even speak in support of the 601XL design will encounter some of that. No big deal. I'm a dentist, a political conservative, and I have Irish ancestors. If I can't take some heat, I'll just have to commit sideways and get it over with. I don't think I'll unsubscribe just yet because every now and then there's something entertaining and/or informative to read here. True, there's a lot of horsecrap but maybe there's a pony in there too, huh?

I'm not an aeronautical engineer nor do I have lots of hours as PIC, and I've only built two planes and assisted on two others (they do all fly however, and none of them has crashed.. yet), so I am not an aviation authority by any measure. Some of you on the list are extensively experienced. My greatest experience is in my genuine love of people, even those who are sometimes rash and discourteous. We all make such mistakes once in a while and what matters more is how we handle these faux pas. No need to have a divorce because of an arguement. How about we all Cajun up a bit and get some perspective? (I know it's supposd to be "Cowboy Up" but Texas gets enough publicity as it is). Put the knives away and sit back down and play cards, alright? Anybody need another beer?

Here's some free advice that's worth about what you're paying for it: Don't get all worked up about the opinions of other people... especially people who hold opinions that you don't agree with. Got that? If you already think they're all wet, don't take them so seriously. As for the equity hit on our airplanes, it has already happened. It doesn't matter whether ZBAG had great motives or self serving ones; the negative vibe is already out there and it will only fade if we build and maintain and fly our planes properly... and honestly, the bad PR will probably still be there anyway. Hurling invective will not change any of that and besides, invective hurling was never a very fun sport to begin with.

Now on the what I did today subject: Nothing with the airplane. My grandaughter turned 4 today so I gave her a tent and played camping games with her. I make very good imaginary bacon. Sunday however, I flew to the gulf coast and back; logged 1.5 hours; still fussing with the intake hose and the CHTs and EGTs at various power settings. I've got an erratic left tank gauge that is probably (I hope) just a bad wire or loose connection. It's not a big deal yet since I stick the tanks before I fly and I don't fly more than 2 hours at a time so far. I've got 11.6 hours on the plane and no bad behavior from the plane at all. I wish I had the engine behaving as well as the airframe but that will come in time. I didn't get this old and patient and wise very quickly either. What are you all laughing at?

Ed
Quote:

arget=_blank rel=nofollow>http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List
=nofollow>http://forums.matronics.com
blank rel=nofollow>http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[quote][b]

kmccune

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: I got Zbagged three times on Friday - Flight Report. Reply with quote

My wife is a real estate sales rep and recently listed a property for a NWA pilot. He has a 2000 foot PAVED runway on his property and a C150 for the kids to play with and a RV for him. She mentioned that I was building and airplane and so he asked what it was.... A Zenith she replied. Amy said he got very quiet and asked what Zenith airplane. She thought about it and said CH701 I think its called. His reply was, well thats a good airplane, at least its not a 601, the wings fall off those things!

So I got ZBAGGED I guess and I'm not even building a 601.

I don't know all the details, I was a member of the group when it started, to see what was up. But the discussion soon went a direction that I did not enjoy.

FYI I'd fly in and let my wife and kids fly in a 601 any day!

Kevin

PS I hated him before I knew he was spreading miss/diss information... a 2000 foot paved runway!

"Real freedom is the sustained act of being an individual." WW - 2009

"Life is a good deal...it's worth it" Feb 1969
Dorothy McCune
paulrod36(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:17 pm    Post subject: I got Zbagged three times on Friday - Flight Report. Reply with quote

<?xml:namespace prefix="v" /><?xml:namespace prefix="o" /><![endif]--> Dred: Re paragraph two, sentence one, do you play one on TV? Dem Cajun, dey too mellow to get in fight, dey jus' invite you go fishin', den feed you to alligator for horse doovers, dem.
[img]cid:005501c9eed8$5edbf5b0$7BED865C(at)emachine7af6b9[/img] Paul R.
DO NOT ARCHIVE
[quote] ---

Emoticon1.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  257 Bytes
 Viewed:  6987 Time(s)

Emoticon1.gif

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: