Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

G Limits and Lifetime

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
richard.goode(at)russiana

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:06 am    Post subject: G Limits and Lifetime Reply with quote

An important subject. 

Yaks are very tough aircraft, and I am sure stronger in ultimate strength but also longevity than any western analogue.

However I am absolutely sure that Yak-50s and Yak-52s cannot be flown at their design limits (+9G/-7G and +7G/-5G) indefinitely.

Also remember that these limits apply to standard aircraft, with the MAXIMUM of 198lbs in each cockpit, INCLUDING parachutes.

Immaculate (and so heavier) paint-jobs; extra fuel; smoke systems etc etc will all eat into G limits.

Fly a Yak-52 at +5G and it will last forever.  Fly it at 7G and there is a very finite lifetime.

Richard Goode

Richard Goode Aerobatics
Rhodds Farm
Lyonshall
Herefordshire
HR5 3LW
United Kingdom

Tel:    +44 (0) 1544 340120
Mob:  +44 (0) 7768 610389
Fax:   +44 (0) 1544 340129
www.russianaeros.com

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
L39parts(at)hotmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject: G Limits and Lifetime Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure that the typical Yank CJ owner can't fly at +9/-7G indefinitely either.  The vast majority are a bit long of tooth and gray of beard to do that 1 day a week, let alone 7 days.  Looking at the girth of the typical owner, I'd say 9G is well over a ton.  That's a lot for your ass to support and for your heart to deal with.

Somewhere between 3G and five it stops being fun and starts being work.  It becomes hard work after five.  I've never seen 9G and don't want to.  In the negative range minus two is hard work.

I don't believe it's possible to win unlimited competition in a Yak 52, so there's no reason to fly one at 7G, and certainly not 9G.  It's nice that the wings won't break if you have a 7G awshit, but if you do that very often you need sit down and have a long talk with yourself. 

[quote] ---

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: