Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

582 egt mismatch
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RotaxEngines-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carlisle

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:27 pm    Post subject: 582 egt mismatch Reply with quote

Hi folks...I've been lurking for some time and finally need to chime in with a question.

My Model II Kitfox is almost 20 years old now and I've only put 150 hours on it. I let it sit idle for 4 years without running the 582 Rotax and decided to resurrect it this summer. Did a top overhaul and inspected the crank (didn't split the case), buttoned it up with new gaskets after decarbonizing everything and it runs fine. When I had the cylinders off, everything looked spotless. Good needle bearings on the con rods, etc. Cylinders don't even look broken in with new looking crosshatching on the walls.

Problem is this. Carbs won't match no matter what I do. Front cylinder runs hotter all the time. I've adjusted the jet needle, put in larger main jet (.175), matched the slides, etc and the fron always runs 100 to 150 deg hotter. Plugs show it too. The front ones are obviously leaner with only slight browning of the insulator.

So the question is, if my crank seals are failing, wouldn't that lean BOTH the carbs out or are these symptoms something else?

- The Matronics RotaxEngines-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RotaxEngines-List
garyo1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 582 egt mismatch Reply with quote

As I recall, there is a center section between the halves of the engine that somewhat isolate the two chambers from each other. This is due to the two stroke needing to draw all of it's air from the crankcase, therefore the need for isolation. However there is some leakage so there is sufficient oil to the center bearings on the crankshaft.

To add to this would be the assumption that each seal would affect it's end of the engine and therefore the carb attached to that side.

I am not a Rotax tech but this is my understanding of the engine, FWIW.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

carlisle

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 582 egt mismatch Reply with quote

Hmm. Didn't know this. Thought the 2 crankcase halves communicated. Not looking good for a simple explanation.

Also, I rebuilt the carbs and have switched them too and it makes no difference.

Any way to change the PTO side seal without splitting the crankcase?

bob(at)fly-ul.com

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:41 pm    Post subject: 582 egt mismatch Reply with quote

On 05:08 PM 6/20/2009, carlisle wrote:
Quote:

Hmm. Didn't know this. Thought the 2 crankcase halves communicated. Not looking good for a simple explanation.

Think about it... you basically have two "one cylinder" engines bolted together. They do NOT share a common crankcase. The engine wouldn't work, if it did!
--
Bob Comperini
e-mail: bob(at)fly-ul.com
WWW: http://www.fly-ul.com

icrashrc

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:37 am    Post subject: Re: 582 egt mismatch Reply with quote

Have you tried swapping EGT probes and /or gauges?

www.ill-EagleAviation.com

do not archive
carlisle

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: 582 egt mismatch Reply with quote

Swapped the probes and even replaced them. Only thing I haven't done is replace the gauge although judging by the color of the plugs (white insulator only faintly browned with soot) it's probably fairly accurate. Even took my little non contact/laser thermometer to the exhaust man's and it verifies the difference. Carbs were rebuilt and cleaned too.

I understand from a friend with a 532 that the front crank seal can be replaced on the plane with the engine in the aircraft. Is this true? I've never had the gearbox off and it might be a good excuse to do that and inspect things anyway but I need a link for confidence.

K Dilks

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 582 egt mismatch Reply with quote

carlisle wrote:
Swapped the probes and even replaced them. Only thing I haven't done is replace the gauge although judging by the color of the plugs (white insulator only faintly browned with soot) it's probably fairly accurate. Even took my little non contact/laser thermometer to the exhaust man's and it verifies the difference. Carbs were rebuilt and cleaned too.

I understand from a friend with a 532 that the front crank seal can be replaced on the plane with the engine in the aircraft. Is this true? I've never had the gearbox off and it might be a good excuse to do that and inspect things anyway but I need a link for confidence.

No you cant as there is a lip on the seal. Folks do this then the new seal blows out......

n757jh

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: 582 egt mismatch Reply with quote

All,

Sorry to revive a dormant thread, but I'm having a similar problem and wonder if this was resolved and what the problem was. Recently rebuilt 582, EGT difference 200-300F with front cyl being hotter. Problem started showing up on first flight around the pattern when front cyl reached 1300F.

Joanne

Blumax008(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:47 am    Post subject: 582 egt mismatch Reply with quote

In a message dated 11/23/2009 12:37:47 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, n757jh(at)yahoo.com writes:
Quote:
Recently rebuilt 582, EGT difference 200-300F with front cyl being hotter. Problem started showing up on first flight around the pattern when front cyl reached 1300F.

Is that Joanne or Johann? If it's Johann, are you from South Africa?

Anyway, this is the guy with the "swelling Viton tip"...we think. When my carb first started overflowing out of the vent tube, I found the the EGT on that cylinder would rise about 200 EGT. It was a very reliable indicator of fuel venting. Why? I don't know. But everytime the temp went up, I could see a stream of fuel trailing me...(Trike). However it never got to 1300 like it did with you....about 1200 max with me but kept running just fine...until it quit from fuel starvation last week.

Keep in mind this Viton tip swelling is just an idea so far...but what the heck else can it be? We've done everything possible from compression checks, visual cylinder inspections, complete changing of fuel lines, filter & fuel pump, pump location & orientation. Everything but overhauling the damn engine! We also know positive it's not electrical.
[quote][b]

n757jh

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: 582 egt mismatch Reply with quote

I think I've ruled out carbs as a cause by swapping carb bodies and replacing the inline fuel filters yesterday. Still 200F hotter on the front cylinder.

I rebuilt my carbs at 100 hrs, the Viton tip is one of the parts that gets replaced. Never had problems with fuel venting like yours. Sorry I can't be helpful.

Joanne

thesupe(at)hotmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: 582 egt mismatch Reply with quote

My guess is that you have an air leak C probably from a leaking seal.  One way to test for air leaks is to preasure test your engine.  Basicly C what it amounts to is you seal off the intake and exhaust manifolds so they can't leak air C and then pump 5 lbs of air into the crankcase.  The engine should be able to hold air for a while.  Quoting from the article in Ultralight Flying Nov. 1986 that discussed this procedure C "a perfectly sealed engine will hold preasure overnight.  Most engines will leak a little C perhaps losing 1 to 2 PSi in a 5 minute period".  If you want C I could send you the article.  It is easy to make a tester C some 1/4" plastic line C a T C a low preasure air gauge C and a bloodpreasure tester bulb to pump the air up and the valve it has to hold the air in.  The air is pumped in through the pulse line port for the fuel pump.  Take care C  Jim Chuk

Quote:
Subject: Re: 582 egt mismatch
Date: Thu C 26 Nov 2009 09:17:04 -0800
To: rotaxengines-list(at)matronics.com

--> RotaxEngines-List message posted by: "n757jh" <n757jh(at)yahoo.com>

I think I've ruled out carbs as a cause by swapping carb bodies and replacing the inline fuel filters yesterday. Still 200F hotter on the front cylinder.

I rebuilt my carbs at 100 hrs C the Viton tip is one of the parts that gets replaced. Never had problems with fuel venting like yours. Sorry I can't be helpful.

Joanne

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=274956#274956

>

Bing brings you maps C menus C and reviews organized in one place. Try it now.

IMG_0461_(Medium).JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  66.44 KB
 Viewed:  22624 Time(s)

IMG_0461_(Medium).JPG

john beirne

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 582 egt mismatch Reply with quote

Hi
Will pressurizing the crankcase thru the pump pulse port only pressurise the rear half of the crankcase?

thesupe(at)hotmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:06 pm    Post subject: 582 egt mismatch Reply with quote

Yes if the seal between the two sides on the crank holds.  There should be a port on the front half of the crankcase also.  On second thought C I can't say that for sure on the 582 C I know there is a port on front and rear of a 447.  You could plug the pulse port and put fittings in the intake plugs and pump the air in there.  Jim Chuk

[quote] Subject: Re: 582 egt mismatch
Date: Thu C 26 Nov 2009 15:01:06 -0800
To: rotaxengines-list(at)matronics.com

--> RotaxEngines-List message posted by: "john beirne" <jmcb(at)oceanfree.net>

Hi
Will pressurizing the crankcase thru the pump pulse port only pressurise the rear half of the crankcase?

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=274996#274996

> _========================

Windows 7: I wanted simpler C now it's simpler. I'm a rock star.
Quote:
[b]

aoldman(at)xtra.co.nz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:57 am    Post subject: 582 egt mismatch Reply with quote

I have had the EGTs reading different but probably not as fare apart as
yours are.I swapped the probes around and they came right { read the same }I
put this down to carbon build up on the probes ,this could be the result of
a slight mixture difference in the carbs . This has happened at about 100
hour intervals on a 503 that works hard on a MK111c
---

Thom Riddle

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: 582 egt mismatch Reply with quote

Have you swapped sensors, front to back and vice versa to see if the sensors may be contributing to or the major cause of the differential?

Don't worry about old age... it doesn't last very long.
- Anonymous
Float Flyr

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:48 pm    Post subject: 582 egt mismatch Reply with quote

Joanne:

Are both the plugs on the hotter cylinder much lighter than the plugs on the
cooler cylinder?

Since the carbs are set up to make the engine run much richer at the idle
the best thing to do is to have a look at the plugs with as little idling as
possible after a flight.

Noel

--

rickofudall

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: 582 egt mismatch Reply with quote

Better than plugs, although a bit more work, drop the exhaust and look in the Y pipe and the tops of the pistons for a major difference in appearance.

Rick Girard

On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 7:47 PM, Noel Loveys <noelloveys(at)yahoo.ca (noelloveys(at)yahoo.ca)> wrote:
[quote]--> RotaxEngines-List message posted by: "Noel Loveys" <noelloveys(at)yahoo.ca (noelloveys(at)yahoo.ca)>

Joanne:

Are both the plugs on the hotter cylinder much lighter than the plugs on the
cooler cylinder?

Since the carbs are set up to make the engine run much richer at the idle
the best thing to do is to have a look at the plugs with as little idling as
possible after a flight.

Noel

--

Tom Beirne

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 582 egt mismatch Reply with quote

Quote:
Anyway, this is the guy with the "swelling Viton tip"...we think. When my carb first started overflowing out of the vent tube, I found the the EGT on that cylinder would rise about 200 EGT. It was a very reliable indicator of fuel venting. Why? I don't know. But everytime the temp went up, I could see a stream of fuel trailing me...(Trike). However it never got to 1300 like it did with you....about 1200 max with me but kept running just fine...until it quit from fuel starvation last week.

Keep in mind this Viton tip swelling is just an idea so far...but what the heck else can it be? We've done everything possible from compression checks, visual cylinder inspections, complete changing of fuel lines, filter & fuel pump, pump location & orientation. Everything but overhauling the damn engine! We also know positive it's not electrical.

Just happened to be reading some light rotax informational literature when I came across this http://www.800-airwolf.com/pdffiles/ARTICLES/part2.pdf
Under the image of the carb on the first page in the section titled "What to do if you have a fuel supply problem". The interesting bit is is where it says

"Test the fuel pressure output at the carb. It should be between 2.9psi and 7.2psi. Below 2.9psi the fuel bowl will starve. Above 7.2psi the float valve will be overpowered and fuel will start to flow out the vent tubes."

nickjaxe

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: 582 egt mismatch Reply with quote

I know this is a very old post but I would be interested if a cure was ever found....I did think maybe the ignition timing maybe set wrong on one side,

Or maybe an incorrect jet or needle number....even the floats not set at equal hight.

Nick.

BARRY CHECK 6

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:08 pm    Post subject: 582 egt mismatch Reply with quote

Quote:
Enjoy it while you can Nick.  Our privileges are rights are slowly being taken away from us.

Barry 
[quote] --------
I always feel so privileged to be able to fly my own aircraft.

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=351331#351331

===========
-List" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RotaxEngines-List
===========
http://forums.matronics.com
===========
le, List Admin.
="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========

[b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RotaxEngines-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: