Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Zenith-List Digest: 801801801801

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doug Garrou

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:27 am    Post subject: Zenith-List Digest: 801801801801 Reply with quote

One thing worth pondering further in the never-ending auto v. aircraft engine debate is this AD point.

True, only certified engines are subject to costly ADs (if you wish to keep them certified, anyway), but that fact doesn't cut just one way. The AD system is one manifestation of the fact that certified engines in the U.S. are subject to an incredibly rigorous quality control and regulatory regime. This means that owners at least have a CHANCE of FINDING OUT about potential problems in their engines, from an authoritative source, backed up by actual data, BEFORE the thing goes belly up.

Compare this to the situation with some Subaru-based auto conversions discussed on this list. Some of these engines had very serious flaws resulting in *multiple in-flight powerplant failures*, even though the total number of these engines in service is quite small compared to Lycosauruses. I suspect the *percentage* of these engines experiencing major problems would be an absolute jaw dropper in the world of certified engines.

Does anyone really think that these engines wouldn't have been grounded if they were subject to an AD regime?

To each his own, but at the moment my auto conversion goes quiet at 8,000 feet over a mountain range, the cost of the quality control and warnings available through the AD system will likely seem fairly small.

With all that said, I'd fly behind Ben Haas's engine any day. That thing just looks COOL.

--

- The Matronics Zenith-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List
Gig Giacona

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Zenith-List Digest: 801801801801 Reply with quote

Well, there's no reason that with the excellent communications that have developed between builders that we can't have the same alert system in the non-certified arena.

As an example, take the issues with the non-nitrated Corvair crank shafts. If I was already flying a Corvair I would treat this no different than an AD. I personally don't need the government to tell me that if the same thing is breaking in a number of aircraft that I ought to get my part checked.

Doug Garrou wrote:
One thing worth pondering further in the never-ending auto v. aircraft engine debate is this AD point.

True, only certified engines are subject to costly ADs (if you wish to keep them certified, anyway), but that fact doesn't cut just one way. The AD system is one manifestation of the fact that certified engines in the U.S. are subject to an incredibly rigorous quality control and regulatory regime. This means that owners at least have a CHANCE of FINDING OUT about potential problems in their engines, from an authoritative source, backed up by actual data, BEFORE the thing goes belly up.

Compare this to the situation with some Subaru-based auto conversions discussed on this list. Some of these engines had very serious flaws resulting in *multiple in-flight powerplant failures*, even though the total number of these engines in service is quite small compared to Lycosauruses. I suspect the *percentage* of these engines experiencing major problems would be an absolute jaw dropper in the world of certified engines.

Does anyone really think that these engines wouldn't have been grounded if they were subject to an AD regime?

To each his own, but at the moment my auto conversion goes quiet at 8,000 feet over a mountain range, the cost of the quality control and warnings available through the AD system will likely seem fairly small.

With all that said, I'd fly behind Ben Haas's engine any day. That thing just looks COOL.

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

frank.hinde(at)hp.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:10 am    Post subject: Zenith-List Digest: 801801801801 Reply with quote

Except you have to be reading the right group..Smile

Frank

Do not archive

--

shilocom(at)mcmsys.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:25 am    Post subject: Zenith-List Digest: 801801801801 Reply with quote

<<<take the issues with the non-nitrated Corvair crank shafts. >>>

Although I had my Crank nitrided from the beginning, I felt that the LOW
sample volumn, the type of inspections and the lack of much knowledge of the
products when they were installed, did not lend as much credibility to the
movement as it is being given. But I'm glad it's happening and glad I
didn't have to make that decision. I would have probably kept flying on
mine if it was a NON nitrided crank, because with my experience with
nitriding other products, i didn't feel like the process would help the
problems being experienced... IF any. Bob U.

---

Gig Giacona

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Zenith-List Digest: 801801801801 Reply with quote

That's correct and is is the responsibility of anyone building and flying experimental aircraft to "Read the right group." To do otherwise is foolish and will ultimately lead to further regulation.
frank.hinde(at)hp.com wrote:
Except you have to be reading the right group..Smile

Frank

Do not archive

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: