Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mixed Mags

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cpayne(at)joimail.com

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:24 am    Post subject: Mixed Mags Reply with quote

I'm the one who installed and timed those mags on Pappy's M-14P when a Chinese mag was the only option available when we were stuck in Nowhere, GA. I have run mixed mags, all Russian and all Chinese on my own M-14P engines. My preference is to use Chinese mags as I never get a starting kickback. Always smooth running.

Also experimented with Split Timing, what seems to work best is even timing. Sure it will never be Exact but then I'm happy with 10-20 RPM difference in mag drop. Early this year I updated my magneto timing doc in the RPA store, with a chapter on using the Chinese mags on the M-14 engine.

Did I mention that the Chinese mag is available as Brand New and priced a lot cheaper than the M-9F mag? call Doug.

Craig Payne

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
mark.bitterlich(at)navy.m

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:24 am    Post subject: Mixed Mags Reply with quote

Craig,

Just a repeat in case there is any confusion. I am not saying one word against using Chinese Mags, or Russian Mags, or having one Chinese and one Russian.

My concern is focused on running two mags with different DESIGNS, no matter what country they were made in.

I.E. One with no mechanical advance, and one without mechanical advance, commonly called a "fixed timing mag".

Running one mag with and one mag without mechanical timing advance opens the door to problems, and where and when those problems happen can be quite variable. Doing it in order to get home from "No-Where GA", is of course one thing. But not as a matter of course or on a regular basis.

I know now of two different people who did that and had problems with their engines that were very hard to diagnose. Talk to Doc Kemp for one story.

I was not, and am not, saying you timed the engine wrong, or whatever else. I am saying that no matter how anyone timed it, there are going to be RPM ranges where both plugs are not firing at the same time, and the difference can be enough to cause problems.

Of course that being said, I can pretty much guess that some people are going to do it anyway.... Hey, whatever! But if someone does it, and then some guy is trying to diagnose a really difficult performance problem dealing with RPM and power loading, maybe they will remember to check to see if there are "mixed mag types".

It's not something anyone normally would ever look for, simply because it is not something anyone would expect to ever find.

Mark Bitterlich

--

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List

smime.p7s
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  smime.p7s
 Filesize:  4.81 KB
 Downloaded:  154 Time(s)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: