Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AeroElectric-List: Electric dependent Engine - Pucker Factor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jon(at)finleyweb.net

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:27 am    Post subject: AeroElectric-List: Electric dependent Engine - Pucker Factor Reply with quote

Hi Gordon,

I don't have any facts or answers for you, only a few additional thoughts.

I fly a home-brew Subaru EJ-22 engine. It is controlled by a Real World Solutions EC2 EFI system (two controllers in a single box, as previously mentioned). I have crafted an electrical system that is redundant and "protective" and that I am comfortable with. That said; there are lots of single points of failure (as you have already noted - propellor, engine mount, wing, canopy, crankshaft, camshaft belt, etc... - it is a long list). In my opinion, the chance of in-flight failure of any of these items is very, very low. I believe the chance of my dual-controller ECU failing fits into the same category. I make a living in the electronics/computer world and have lots of faith AND experience with such systems. I fully understand that there are MANY people that don't trust their electronic Timex watch let alone anything more important/complex.

I am of the opinion that (any manufacturers) late model stock ECU is not a good option for aircraft use due to extreme complexity (require "faking out" a large number of sensors, operational parameters specific to automobile use, etc...). However; I do believe that they are VERY reliable. It is hard (probably impossible) to find actual numbers but some very unscientific research will show you that automotive ECU's just don't fail without some sort of help (out of spec voltage, impact, etc...). I know - nothing scientific or measurable in this entire paragraph. So, I think you are correct - it really comes down to personal comfort level. This is not a good thing, IMO, as it delays "progress" (a whole different thread that always gets heated for the very reason mentioned here).

Last I heard, Egg was supplying his engines with the SDS EFI system (instead of the Subaru ECU - I believe for the reasons mentioned above).  This system has a VERY good history in aircraft and many happy customers. Ross Farnum is active on a number of aircraft lists, very knowledgeable, very helpful, and "eating his own dog food" (flying behind his own product).

Hth,

Jon Finley
N413JF - Q2 - Subaru EJ-22
http://www.finleyweb.net/Q2Subaru.aspx

DO NOT ARCHIVE

--

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: