Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Inteference Becker 4201 Radio

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pfstelwagon(at)earthlink.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:50 pm    Post subject: Inteference Becker 4201 Radio Reply with quote

The point that the Becker was originally used in Gliders is probably the reason that it is still a 12 volt radio, as 12 volt gell cells are pretty common. I have installed them in a couple of CJ's and they have been fine. We have always used a Sigtronics SP400N intercom and have excellent results. Use push to talk intercom not VOX. I have seen other CJs with other radios that are noisy. One thing that has been mentioned is proper shielding of the "P" leads, a lot of them are in bad shape, also a ground wire from engine case to structure is a good idea.

Frank
CJ6-A N23021
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
pa3arw(at)euronet.nl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:42 am    Post subject: Inteference Becker 4201 Radio Reply with quote

Frank,

I use the PS-Engineering PM1000, which is functioning great on VOX.
I have never had the problem of interference before. When I ferried my Yak from Lithuania to Holland I did not have this problem.
During the course of time it simply happened that I could not use my GPS anymore because it was causing interference on my 4201 which did not happen before. I have never been able to explain this. I checked all the screening, all are OK.
I have checked the P-leads (including the screening) on the mags, installed Lonestar filters in these p-leads but they don’t seem to make any difference. I also have the capacitor and the psu filter but I did not install these yet.

After this the remaining item to change is the dc-dc converter but I have not yet found this unit yet in my Yak52.
Reading from the other mails it seems to be necessary to make sure that the power to the 4201 is clean as a whistle. I can make and design such a filter but before I want to do that I want to make sure that this solves the problem of interference.

What are you guys using as a psu (i.e. what dc-dc converter) for the supply of power to the 4201??

Any suggestion is welcomed!

Hans Oortman
RS3326K

Van: owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com] Namens Frank Stelwagon
Verzonden: maandag 6 juli 2009 8:49
Aan: yak-list(at)matronics.com
Onderwerp: Re: Inteference Becker 4201 Radio

The point that the Becker was originally used in Gliders is probably the reason that it is still a 12 volt radio, as 12 volt gell cells are pretty common. I have installed them in a couple of CJ's and they have been fine. We have always used a Sigtronics SP400N intercom and have excellent results. Use push to talk intercom not VOX. I have seen other CJs with other radios that are noisy. One thing that has been mentioned is proper shielding of the "P" leads, a lot of them are in bad shape, also a ground wire from engine case to structure is a good idea.

Frank

CJ6-A N23021
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

dsavarese0812(at)bellsout

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:52 am    Post subject: Inteference Becker 4201 Radio Reply with quote

Hans,
I have used the Bendix King KA-39 voltage converter several times and it seems to work very well. They can be found on Ebay periodically. Since you have not found your voltage converter in your Yak 52, there is a possibility the 12 volts is being "tapped" from one of the two gel batteries instead of it coming from a voltage converter. Look in your battery compartment for an extra wire on one of the 12 volt battery terminals. I have seen this before.
Dennis

[quote] ---

pa3arw(at)euronet.nl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:11 am    Post subject: Inteference Becker 4201 Radio Reply with quote

Dennis,

Excellent suggestion…thanks…did not think of that but it might be indeed the reason why I cannot find the dc-dc converter.

I’ll keep you posted on the progress…

Hans
RS3326K

Van: owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com] Namens A. Dennis Savarese
Verzonden: maandag 6 juli 2009 15:50
Aan: yak-list(at)matronics.com
Onderwerp: Re: Re: Inteference Becker 4201 Radio

Hans,

I have used the Bendix King KA-39 voltage converter several times and it seems to work very well. They can be found on Ebay periodically. Since you have not found your voltage converter in your Yak 52, there is a possibility the 12 volts is being "tapped" from one of the two gel batteries instead of it coming from a voltage converter. Look in your battery compartment for an extra wire on one of the 12 volt battery terminals. I have seen this before.

Dennis

[quote]
---

ChangDriver

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Inteference Becker 4201 Radio Reply with quote

Can anyone please explain the best way to shield the p-leads. Mine have been worked on to attempt to install a Horizon tach in the rear with no luck on getting a good signal for the tach. I've looked at the attachment of the stock shielding at the magnetos and they seem fine.

I'd like to know, what gage wire to use, best shielding, etc. Also, are there any differences for the tach gen leads (wire gaga, etc).

Thanks,

Craig

ChangDriver

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Inteference Becker 4201 Radio Reply with quote

Dennis:

When you used the KA-39 (which I have also) did you shield the lead from the KA-39 to the Becker? The Becker installation diagram does not specify this be shielded.

Craig

mark.bitterlich(at)navy.m

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:55 am    Post subject: Inteference Becker 4201 Radio Reply with quote

Craig, just to be sure I understand this ..... Your back seat has a
Horizon tach installed and it does not work? Where did they connect to
the original P leads in order to get the signals back there?

Wire gage and type:

Two issues.

1. The size of the wire and shielding going to the mag itself from the
MAG SWITCHES. In this case, you probably want to stick to original wire
center conductor gages as it is carrying some current, although not THAT
much. I would suspect 14 to 16 gage would work just fine but I would
not want to go any smaller. But in truth, I really do not KNOW what
exact wire gage is required here, so that said, I would go original
size, or one size bigger just to be sure.

2. The wire to the electronic tach should not require any current
carrying capability really. Here, you could go with 22 gage with no
problem at all.

In every case, of course the wires should be shielded. The best
shielded wire you can buy with the highest density of shielding. Even a
double shield if you can find it. Use individual wires with shields,
NOT two wires twisted in ONE shield.

Tach Gen. Again, I'd say 16-18 gage would be fine, and is shielded as
you can get it!

I am not really sure I am answering your question.

Mark Bitterlich
--

dsavarese0812(at)bellsout

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:04 am    Post subject: Inteference Becker 4201 Radio Reply with quote

I did not.
Dennis
[quote] ---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: