Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EGT quirk

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cristalclear13

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:11 pm    Post subject: EGT quirk Reply with quote

Has anyone ever had an EGT gauge not register anything until up and cruising?
Could it be a loose wire? a faulty probe? a bad gauge?

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

ELSA Repairman for N193Y April 2008
Rotax 2 stroke maintenance April 2009
rowedenny

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:37 am    Post subject: EGT quirk Reply with quote

---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

rowedenny

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:37 am    Post subject: EGT quirk Reply with quote

Cristal,
The answer to all your questions is yes.

Denny
---

cristalclear13

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: EGT quirk Reply with quote

rowedenny wrote:
Cristal,
The answer to all your questions is yes.

Denny
---

So this has happened to you? What did you do to fix it? I've checked my connections and that looks ok, but those wires ARE tiny and it's not easy to crimp the connectors on...maybe I didn't get it on good but if that were the case it seems like the gauge would work sporadically (on and off anytime) instead of only at cruise. I hate to buy a new probe or gauge if there's something else I can try that I haven't thought of.

We did put a lighter to the probes and didn't get any response on the gauge. But last time I flew (and that's been a while cause I've been fixin' on things) one EGT worked fine and the other was doing what I said above.

Dana

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:13 am    Post subject: EGT quirk Reply with quote

At 08:44 AM 7/17/2009, cristalclear13 wrote:

Quote:
We did put a lighter to the probes and didn't get any response on the
gauge. But last time I flew (and that's been a while cause I've been
fixin' on things) one EGT worked fine and the other was doing what I said
above.

You have two separate gauges? Good. Next step is to swap the wires at the
gauge. If the problem moves to the other gauge the problem isn't the
gauge. Then swap the wires at the sender, to see if he problem is in the
sender or the connecting wire. Now you'll have it narrowed down to the
faulty component.

-Dana
--
Blow your mind, smoke gunpowder.

Tom Jones

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: EGT quirk Reply with quote

When troubleshooting the EGT gauges I use a heat gun on the probe to test it. Lots easier than installing the probe in the manifold and starting the engine. You can heat the probe and wiggle the wires to help find a loose connection.

Ellensburg, WA
by0ung(at)brigham.net

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:24 pm    Post subject: EGT quirk Reply with quote

Sounds like a loose wire,, something that changes with vibration or heat.

Quote:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>...

Has anyone ever had an EGT gauge not register anything until up and
cruising?
Could it be a loose wire? a faulty probe? a bad gauge?

--------
Cristal Waters

Ralph B

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: EGT quirk Reply with quote

Cristal, I had an EGT problem as you described. On takeoff, it was reading zero and as I backed off the throttle, it read a normal again. It was the EGT sender probe in the manifold. I replaced it and all was normal.

Ralph B

Kolb Kolbra 912uls
N20386
550 hours
The BaronVonEvil

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:39 pm    Post subject: EGT quirk Reply with quote

Hi Cristal,

I have experienced this same issue with a friend's Challenger II. It was the
gauge itself that was the problem (Westach). It was a dual EGT gauge and one
side would was fine while the other side wouldn't register until cruise and
sometime you had to tap the gauge with your finger for it to start working.

The Gauge is due for replacement as soon as time allows.

Carlos G
AKA
BaronVonEvil
---

cristalclear13

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: EGT quirk Reply with quote

Thanks for everyone's advice. Thought I'd give an update.

I always had a little trouble with my front carb. The spark plug would always come out black and the EGT when it was working good seemed low (both indicating I was running rich). That is also the side that my exhaust leak is (still happening even though I replaced the gaskets). I had my engine/carbs inspected/serviced last year sometime and he updated the needles and jets. I synced my carbs on the last inspection so I couldn't figure out why one would be running so much richer than the other when they were both set up the same. The back spark plug was always the nice brown sandy color it is supposed to be.

I took the one carb apart and thought I had a broken needle clip. I ordered new clips and saw that the new ones have a small slit in them too, so it wasn't broken. But then I noticed the new one looked like it had a new design to it. I put the new one on and cleaned off my exhaust probe some (it was pretty black and wet too).

After doing all that, I flew, and the EGT's were registering almost the same temps. So I can't help but think that the new clip helped in some way. A friend of mine said he remembered reading somewhere where there was an advisory of some type to replace that clip. Apparently cleaning the probe helped the EGT gauge work better too. The one side still isn't registering during taxi, but I may not have cleaned the probe enough.

I suppose when I check the spark plugs again after flying some more hours, it'll tell me more.

aslsa.rng(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:09 pm    Post subject: EGT quirk Reply with quote

Cristal, The concern with needle clips is that they be so tight on the needle that the needle will not turn in the clip. Engine vibration will cause the needle to turn in the clip and will gradually turn down the needle until it wears through. Another update to prevent this is a small o-ring that sits on top of the clip and under the spring cup. I'm sure you already know this, but you didn't mention it so......

Rick Girard
do not archive

On Sat, Aug 1, 2009 at 9:44 PM, cristalclear13 <cristalclearwaters(at)gmail.com (cristalclearwaters(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
[quote]--> Kolb-List message posted by: "cristalclear13" <cristalclearwaters(at)gmail.com (cristalclearwaters(at)gmail.com)>

Thanks for everyone's advice.  Thought I'd give an update.

I always had a little trouble with my front carb.  The spark plug would always come out black and the EGT when it was working good seemed low (both indicating I was running rich).  That is also the side that my exhaust leak is (still happening even though I replaced the gaskets).  I had my engine/carbs inspected/serviced last year sometime and he updated the needles and jets.  I synced my carbs on the last inspection so I couldn't figure out why one would be running so much richer than the other when they were both set up the same.  The back spark plug was always the nice brown sandy color it is supposed to be.

I took the one carb apart and thought I had a broken needle clip.  I ordered new clips and saw that the new ones have a small slit in them too, so it wasn't broken.  But then I noticed the new one looked like it had a new design to it.  I put the new one on and cleaned off my exhaust probe some (it was pretty black and wet too).

After doing all that, I flew, and the EGT's were registering almost the same temps.  So I can't help but think that the new clip helped in some way.  A friend of mine said he remembered reading somewhere where there was an advisory of some type to replace that clip.  Apparently cleaning the probe helped the EGT gauge work better too.  The one side still isn't registering during taxi, but I may not have cleaned the probe enough.

I suppose when I check the spark plugs again after flying some more hours, it'll tell me more.

--------
Cristal Waters
Kolb Mark II Twinstar
Rotax 503 DCSI

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=255592#255592

===========
arget="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
===========
http://forums.matronics.com
===========
le, List Admin.
="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========

[b]

zeprep251(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:51 pm    Post subject: EGT quirk Reply with quote

Christal
Remember that there are 4 gaskets on the 503 exhaust.2 under the tin shroud to the block and 2 on top of the shroud to the manifold.JBM makes a tough gasket for all the Rotax engines at a better price.Any leak there will change the tuning of the engine.You may not have a carb problem.
G.Aman

--

cristalclear13

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: EGT quirk Reply with quote

aslsa.rng(at)gmail.com wrote:
Cristal, The concern with needle clips is that they be so tight on the needle that the needle will not turn in the clip. Engine vibration will cause the needle to turn in the clip and will gradually turn down the needle until it wears through. Another update to prevent this is a small o-ring that sits on top of the clip and under the spring cup. I'm sure you already know this, but you didn't mention it so......

Rick Girard

The small o-ring was mentioned/required by my DAR when I got my airworthiness certificate two years ago November, but thanks for mentioning.

The new needle clip seemed more sturdy of a design. I didn't see any wear on the needle itself.
zeprep251(at)aol.com wrote:
Christal
Remember that there are 4 gaskets on the 503 exhaust.2 under the tin shroud to the block and 2 on top of the shroud to the manifold.JBM makes a tough gasket for all the Rotax engines at a better price.Any leak there will change the tuning of the engine.You may not have a carb problem.
G.Aman
--

I replaced all four gaskets. The leak was less after changing them but still there. Maybe I'll try the ones from JBM. Not looking forward to the operation though. That was really a pain changing out those inside gaskets (as mentioned in a previous thread).

John Hauck

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:49 am    Post subject: EGT quirk Reply with quote

> I replaced all four gaskets. The leak was less after changing them but
still there. Maybe I'll try the ones from JBM. Not looking forward to the
operation though. That was really a pain changing out those inside gaskets
(as mentioned in a previous thread).
Quote:

--------
Cristal Waters

Rotax two strokes, in my day, were notorious for leaking/oozing a black gook
between the exhaust manifold and the cylinder.

If it was mine, and there was no actual "exhaust gas leak", I'd wipe it down
once in a while, and keep on flying. I doubt that is going to change the
tuning.

However, if it was bad enough to leak exhaust gas, then I'd go to the
trouble of replacing gaskets.

Seems as though there could have been a better system than sandwiching the
cooling tin between the manifold and the cylinder, but no one ever came up
with a better way.

john h
mkIII

Titus, Alabama
beauford

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:04 am    Post subject: EGT quirk Reply with quote

Miss Cristal:
One other thing you might consider checking on the carb which is
running rich is the enrichment or
"choke" piston. If this little piston is not fully seating due to
misadjusted cable, crud in
the seat, or deteriorated rubber seal in the base of the piston, it
can easily produce the
symptoms you describe. A small leak in the enrichment circuit can
produce substantial effects.

Worth what ye paid fer it...

beauford
FF-076
Brandon, FL

---

aslsa.rng(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:48 pm    Post subject: EGT quirk Reply with quote

It will make the replacement a bit tougher, but it will stop small leaks. Coat the gaskets with copper RTV, the ultra high temp stuff, and allow to cure before firing up the engine.Before the experts start hollering, this is a standard fix for Harley Shovelhead owners. The exhaust system is held on with a single bolt and weight keeps it seated. Been working for 15 plus years now even with the weight of a Supertrapp 2 into 1. Just so I'm not accused of theorizing. Smile

Rick Girard
do not archive

On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 10:05 AM, Beauford T <beauford173(at)verizon.net (beauford173(at)verizon.net)> wrote:
[quote]--> Kolb-List message posted by: "Beauford T" <beauford173(at)verizon.net (beauford173(at)verizon.net)>

Miss Cristal:
"choke" piston.  If this little piston is not fully seating due to
can easily produce the
symptoms you describe.  A small leak in the enrichment circuit can

beauford
FF-076
Brandon, FL

---

cristalclear13

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: EGT quirk Reply with quote

beauford wrote:
Miss Cristal:
"choke" piston. If this little piston is not fully seating due to
can easily produce the
symptoms you describe. A small leak in the enrichment circuit can

beauford
FF-076
Brandon, FL

---

Beauford, This advice was worth MUCH more than what I paid fer it! Thank you! I also thank Ronnie Smith at MSLA because as soon as I told him my most recent symptoms (advancing the throttle and no or very poor response), he mentioned it seemed to be running too rich for the altitude. He first suggested changing the idle jet. So I was actually taking my carbs off to see what size jets I had when I discovered that choke seal on my front carb was totally deteriorated. See the pics.

deteriorated choke seal3.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  11.81 KB
 Viewed:  10212 Time(s)

deteriorated choke seal3.jpg

deteriorated choke seal1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  18.22 KB
 Viewed:  10212 Time(s)

deteriorated choke seal1.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: