Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Homer Kolb
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thom Riddle

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Homer Kolb Reply with quote

I too had the good fortune to meet Homer at his 2007 fly-in, and many others with whom I've communicated via this forum, including the late great John W.

I've flown a lot of airplanes over the years but keep coming back to Kolbs. As I said last week I'll be flying a Slingshot soon and will always remember Homer. Great man, great aircraft designer.

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

Don't worry about old age... it doesn't last very long.
- Anonymous
icrashrc

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Homer Kolb Reply with quote

There's no doubt Homer will be missed by all who knew him. My respect for him grew every time we talked.
Does anyone have info on his final arrangements? PA is a fair hike for me but i would like to attend.

Thank you Homer for all the things you've done to make this a better world.

Scott

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Last edited by icrashrc on Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:42 am; edited 1 time in total
flykolb(at)pa.net

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:10 am    Post subject: Homer Kolb Reply with quote

Scott,

The family was to meet yesterday afternoon with the pastor to make the
arrangements for the service(s)and I think the details will be known today.
I'll post them as soon as I hear.

Dennis
--

williamtsullivan(at)att.n

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:50 am    Post subject: Homer Kolb Reply with quote

I just got back from vacation, and caught the notice about Homer. I wish I'd had the chance to meet him. He appears to have been one of those rare, original creative tinkerers that only come along in a great while. My condolences to the family, and all who knew him. He will be missed.

Bill Sullivan
      Windsor Locks, Ct.
      FS 447
[quote][b]

marcuskolb

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Homer Kolb Reply with quote

Homer was my dad. He wasn't into computers but I would get on here and we would browse through this site often. He LOVED when people would fly in and really missed the fly in this year.
We are having friends and family Friday night in the hanger 6-8pm. ALL are welcome and fly in if you can! It would be a great tribute to dad.
I don't care if you want to come earlier as long as you don't mind helping setup. Some are coming in on Thursday and you can camp out or whatever - there will be enough people around with cars to go for gas, food or whatever. Jim H should be here Thursday.
The formal services are on Sat at Vincent Mennonite Church in Spring City 10 minute s away. 9-11 is the viewing, 11-12 service then burial with at least 1 FireStar (Dick Rahill) flying over then back to the church outside pavilion for lunch and sharing.
I'll miss him so much - I can't even imagine.

flycolt45(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:23 am    Post subject: Homer Kolb Reply with quote

I can be there early Fri till I go back to FL on Sat night (with my pick up truck) so I'd be glad to assist with whatever needs doing.

You know Marcus, most times when people pass, others will take time to think of nice memories that they will remember (and in some cases they have to dig deep to find nice memories : )
If you've read the Kolb list - everyone who has had any contact with your dad all say the same thing about him. (As you and your family I'm sure understand). We all claim him!
I'm an Army guy and I've been a wreck since!
Always thought that when I came to PA - he'd be there. I won't have to come to PA now to find him & it will be easier to talk with him : )

I'll check in on Fri AM to see what I can help with.

You can give my name & No to Jim Hauck or whomever is the point of contact for support missions. If you need someone to organize - I will. Whatever you need.

Jim
(561) 252-1233

--

lucien

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Homer Kolb Reply with quote

My thoughts go out to all in the Kolb community. I never met Homer Kolb but I had the distinct pleasure of flying one of his designs (FSII) for a while (and am still kicking myself a bit for having sold it). Very sorry to hear of his passing...

LS

flycolt45(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:33 am    Post subject: Homer Kolb Reply with quote

Sorry List.

My last note was meant for Marcus.

Jim

--

John Hauck

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:53 am    Post subject: Homer Kolb Reply with quote

Marcus/Gang:

I am flying the mkIII to the Kolb Farm. Will depart Gantt IAP tomorrow
evening or Thursday morning. It is 800 air miles, so will probably take 10
to 11 flight hours to get there, probably a day and a half.

I won't have a suit and tie with me, but I won't need one to be part of the
Missing Man Formation. I think Homer would approve of my attire.

Take care,

john h
mkIII
Titus, Alabama
---

Titus, Alabama
pj.ladd(at)btinternet.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:44 am    Post subject: Homer Kolb Reply with quote

Hi Marcus,

in this moment of grief rememeber all the people on this list who would not
be here together if it were not for your fathers genius and design
philosophy. A worldwide company who owe a lot to his memory. He will not be
forgotten, a tribute which is not accorded to many men.

Pat

undoctor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:23 pm    Post subject: Homer Kolb Reply with quote

Time: 04:23:44 PM PST US Subject: Re: Homer Kolb From: "JetPilot" <orcabonita(at)hotmail.com (orcabonita(at)hotmail.com)> That is a shame, but he led a successful life. Building airplanes and flying them your entire life, and seeing the company you started keep selling your designs until the last day. It does not get much better than that ! The Kolb Quad is really cool, is there any more information on that plane anywhere ? That must have been the first Kolb, I would like to know what year and how it flew. Mike

Mike,

I don't know for sure if this is the Quad you're referring to - it does have four engines - but this is one he flew in 1956. According to Dennis Souder he had to come in really hot, about 50 mph if I recall correctly. If the attachment gets stripped on its way to the list, email me directly and I'll send it to you, and anyone else who's interested, off list.

Dave Kulp
Bethlehem, PA

FireFly 11DMK

HOMER_KOLB.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  100.45 KB
 Viewed:  15233 Time(s)

HOMER_KOLB.jpg

capedavis(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:25 pm    Post subject: Homer Kolb Reply with quote

To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com
Sent: Tuesday, July 14, 2009 12:52:50 PM
Subject: Re: Re: Homer Kolb

--> Kolb-List message posted by: "John Hauck" <jhauck(at)elmore.rr.com (jhauck(at)elmore.rr.com)>

Marcus/Gang:

I am flying the mkIII to the Kolb Farm. Will depart Gantt IAP tomorrow evening or Thursday morning. It is 800 air miles, so will probably take 10 to 11 flight hours to get there, probably a day and a half.

I won't have a suit and tie with me, but I won't need one to be part of the Missing Man Formation. I think Homer would approve of my attire.

Take care,

john h
mkIII
Titus, Alabama
---

cristalclear13

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Homer Kolb Reply with quote

I just saw this mentioned in the AOPA Aviation eBrief email. I am so sorry to hear about Homer. From the testimonies I have heard and read about him I know he is in the loving arms of our Lord. Jim Hauck spoke very highly of him to me. It is exciting to know that his airplane will make it to the Smithsonian. (I was just in that Air and Space Museum in DC for the first time this year, now that'll give me an excuse to go again.)

May God continue to bless and comfort his family during this time.

Cristal Waters in Waycross, GA - owner and pilot of Kolb Mark II for almost two years now and still loving it!

ELSA Repairman for N193Y April 2008
Rotax 2 stroke maintenance April 2009
John Hauck

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:22 pm    Post subject: Homer Kolb Reply with quote

Hi gang:

Flew 8 hours yesterday. Spent the night in my tent at Patomac Airport Berkley Springs, WV. Two hours flight time this morning and I was on the ground at Homer's.

At this time we are having a get together for Homer in the hanger. The place is packed with friends and family. It is also raining, but that has not dampened the enthusiam to remember our friend Homer Kolb.

Brother Jim Hauck was here when I got here. He drove up.

Have gotten to visit with many of the old Kolb gang from the early days of Kolb Aircraft. Always good to see them, but would have been better if Homer was here to enjoy the company.

Tomorrow is the funeral. Dick Rahill and I will fly a missing man formation in honor of Homer. Hope the rain holds off until we can get our job done.

Take care,

john h
mkIII

Titus, Alabama
jimhefner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Homer Kolb Reply with quote

I'm deeply saddened to learn of Homer Kolb's passing! His contributions to affordable aviation will live on as long as we have freedom of flight.

I sure wish he would have been able to join us at one of the MV gatherings so us Westerners could have met him.

His obituary tells a lot about Homer Kolb.... his contributions are many but he remained well grounded in his faith and his family to the end.

Condolences to his family and close friends.

I hope the weather cooperated for the missing man fly-over!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
etzimm(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:03 pm    Post subject: Homer Kolb Reply with quote

John,

John,
Met Bro Jim at the memorial service today, but saw you only in the
air. I want to personally thank you for your special part in the
memorial service to honor of our flying Patriarch, Mr.Homer E Kolb.

God speed on your trip home.

Eugene Zimmerman

On Jul 17, 2009, at 8:21 PM, <jhauck(at)elmore.rr.com> <jhauck(at)elmore.rr.com
> wrote:

Quote:

Hi gang:

Flew 8 hours yesterday. Spent the night in my tent at Patomac
Airport Berkley Springs, WV. Two hours flight time this morning and
I was on the ground at Homer's.

At this time we are having a get together for Homer in the hanger.
The place is packed with friends and family. It is also raining,
but that has not dampened the enthusiam to remember our friend Homer
Kolb.

Brother Jim Hauck was here when I got here. He drove up.

Have gotten to visit with many of the old Kolb gang from the early
days of Kolb Aircraft. Always good to see them, but would have been
better if Homer was here to enjoy the company.

Tomorrow is the funeral. Dick Rahill and I will fly a missing man
formation in honor of Homer. Hope the rain holds off until we can
get our job done.

Take care,

john h
mkIII

John Hauck

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:42 am    Post subject: Homer Kolb Reply with quote

Morning Jim H/Gang:

All went well yesterday. Dick Rahill and I, probably the two oldest factory pilots (in age and time with the Kolb Company) completed our mission for our friend Homer Kolb. I flew lead and was also the missing man in our two ship formation of my mkIII and Dick's J-5.

Departed Homer's for Alabama at 0645 EDST this morning. Just had coffee and breakfast at the airport in York, PA. Have about 9 more hours flying to get back to Gantt IAP, Alabama.

Engine and aircraft are preforming flawlessly. Weather looks good up here, but have not checked it further to the SW.

Take care,

john h
mkIII

---- jimhefner <hefner_jim(at)msn.com> wrote:
Quote:

I'm deeply saddened to learn of Homer Kolb's passing! His contributions to affordable aviation will live on as long as we have freedom of flight.

I sure wish he would have been able to join us at one of the MV gatherings so us Westerners could have met him.

His obituary tells a lot about Homer Kolb.... his contributions are many but he remained well grounded in his faith and his family to the end.

Condolences to his family and close friends.

I hope the weather cooperated for the missing man fly-over!

--------
Jim Hefner
Tucson, AZ
Do Not Archive

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p 53652#253652

Titus, Alabama
John Hauck

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:46 am    Post subject: Homer Kolb Reply with quote

Gene Z:

Thanks, my friend.

Sorry I missed you and your family.

Take care,

john h
mkIII

---- Eugene Zimmerman <etzimm(at)gmail.com> wrote:
Quote:

John,

John,
Met Bro Jim at the memorial service today, but saw you only in the
air. I want to personally thank you for your special part in the
memorial service to honor of our flying Patriarch, Mr.Homer E Kolb.

God speed on your trip home.

Eugene Zimmerman

On Jul 17, 2009, at 8:21 PM, <jhauck(at)elmore.rr.com> <jhauck(at)elmore.rr.com
> wrote:

>
>
> Hi gang:
>
> Flew 8 hours yesterday. Spent the night in my tent at Patomac
> Airport Berkley Springs, WV. Two hours flight time this morning and
> I was on the ground at Homer's.
>
> At this time we are having a get together for Homer in the hanger.
> The place is packed with friends and family. It is also raining,
> but that has not dampened the enthusiam to remember our friend Homer
> Kolb.
>
> Brother Jim Hauck was here when I got here. He drove up.
>
> Have gotten to visit with many of the old Kolb gang from the early
> days of Kolb Aircraft. Always good to see them, but would have been
> better if Homer was here to enjoy the company.
>
> Tomorrow is the funeral. Dick Rahill and I will fly a missing man
> formation in honor of Homer. Hope the rain holds off until we can
> get our job done.
>
> Take care,
>
> john h
> mkIII
>
>
>
>

Titus, Alabama
marcuskolb

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Homer Kolb Reply with quote

We had several great tributes to dad at the funeral services but having Dick and John flying around, dad's FireStar and his Waterloo Boy in front of the church were really special. To top it all off, John and Dick flew a missing man with perfect timing. Dad was lowered into the grave with a prayer and just as the prayer was finished, we saw a high speed, downwind pass with John splitting off over the grave site. It was awesome and I'm sure I wasn't the only one who got goosebumps. Thank you all so much for your thoughts, prayers and kind words for dad. We had a video and picture montage playing during the viewing and many of your comments from this thread were interleaved, which made it extra special.
THANK YOU John and Dick and thank you all - he will be greatly missed!
Marcus Kolb, son of Homer Kolb, man of God

John Hauck

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:47 am    Post subject: Homer Kolb Reply with quote

> We had several great tributes to dad at the funeral services

Quote:
Marcus Kolb, son of Homer Kolb, man of God

Morning Marcus/Gang:

It was an honor to have a part in saying goodbye to your Dad, Homer Kolb.

I also thought it very fitting to be able to be a part of the Missing Man
Formation with Dick Rahill. Dick and I have flown together many times over
the years, at Lakeland, Oshkosh, and at the Kolb Farm. I have a feeling the
flight for Homer will be the last time Dick and I fly together. I hope not,
but all good things must come to an end eventually.

Despite questionable weather flying north, I had a good flight. Weather
seemed to open up for me as my flight progressed.

Yesterday I was able to fly from Homer's to my airstrip in Titus, Alabama,
in one day. That was a first. Homer would have been proud of it. Neither
Homer nor I ever had an idea we would be flying his airplanes to the far off
places we have had the priviledge of flying them. I will never forget his
enthusiasm when I first landed at the Kolb Farm, in my Firestar, after
flying from Gantt IAP, Titus, Alabama, summer of 1988. You couldn't wipe
the smile off his face.

Homer always supported what I did with his airplanes, the good...and
sometimes the bad. I will always remember him for encouraging me to build
and fly his airplanes. When I bought my first, a kit for the 1984
Ultrastar, for $3,495.00, I had no idea if I could build it or not. A week
after I sent the check to Homer and received my Construction Manual and
Plans, I was at my first Sun and Fun, March 1984. I met Homer for the first
time. I shared with him my doubts of being able to build his kit. His
reply was, "Sure you can." And Homer was right, as usual.

Miss P'fer (P fer Plane) did a good job flying me to Homer's and back. Here
are a few numbers:

21.4 hours flight time

115.9 gal fuel

5.4 gph average (I pushed hard. Flew 5,200 and 5,300 rpm for much of
flight.)

10.0 hours north flight (Two days 8.0 and 2.0 hours).

10.5 hours south flight (One day)

.9 hours local in PA

1,709.8 sm total

83.8 mph average

Zero oil consumed.

I had a little help from the wind going north, but very little, if any, on
the way south. That was the driving factor to run harder the last 3 or 400
miles of the flight south.

Take care,

john h
mkIII

Titus, Alabama
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: