Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Firestars in production

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
donaho1(at)verizon.net

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:42 am    Post subject: Firestars in production Reply with quote

Someone posted earlier that the New Kolb will build a Firestar kit if you
request it. However, they aren`t building them on a regular basis. Lanny
Fetterman N598LF
Do not archive

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
kevinthorp

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Firestars in production Reply with quote

I'm new to this forum, and don't fly anything... yet. Used to be a partner in a Cessna 150. I've always liked the Kolb aircraft designs.

So the FireStar is a little bigger than the FireFly, which can be built as a FAR 103 ultralight, right?

I see a FireStar II on various web pages, which I assume is identical to the FireStar, but with a very snug back seat.

I'm 6' tall, 220 lbs. Will the FireFly have any performance issues with me on board?

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Don G

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Firestars in production Reply with quote

Kevin,
The FireFly might be a little snug for you in fit. Kinda depends on how nimble you are. Getting in and out would be the main issue possibly. It has a higher step over than a Firestar, and a bigger fella kinda "plops" down when getting in..getting out is a little tougher due to the high side of the cockpit. As far as performance though...if you build one and dont get it extra heavy..shouldn't bother performance much..since the FireFly is about the highest performing part 103 legal plane you can get. IF you are young and bend pretty good...I cant imagine it bothering you any. If you are older and stiffer...I think I would go for a FireStar. Just my opinion as a FireFly builder.
Also..IF TNK still sells the FireFly kit with the main spar a little longer than it calls for and requires it to be cut..I believe I would order an extra set of ribs and build the wing a tad longer to match the spar...and install Firestar struts. this would compensate somewhat for the extra drag of the slightly longer wing and give a little better load capability. If you ever get one...let me know and we can discuss it when you have the plans and parts in hand.

Luscombe 8A
RV9A
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: