Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Flying over water

View previous topic :: View next topic  
recapen(at)earthlink.net

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:41 am    Post subject: Flying over water Reply with quote

Living and flying around the DelMarVa peninsula provides great scenery - lots of farms, rivers, and places to go.

I'm concerned that there is a lot of water here - with the Chesapeake and Delaware bays nearby...and let's not forget the Atlantic Ocean.

I'm thinking that I should be carrying some sort of water survival gear for my trips across the bay's at least.

Does anyone know what the specific rules are? I don't have my FAR/AIM with me - and I am still flying off my phase I hours.

The Cape May County airport (WWD) is within my 50nm circle and I could climb to altitude to ensure a safe glide distance to either side of the bay...but I would really like to know the right way.....

Eventually, I'll be heading north to visit family in New England and there'll be some water to cross on the way there - regardless of the chosen route.

So...what are the rules?

And....what is everyone really doing?

Thanks,
Ralph
RV6A N822AR (at) N06 24.9 hrs

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
dennis.glaeser(at)hp.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:47 am    Post subject: Flying over water Reply with quote

For Part 91 operations (non-commercial), there are no rules. You're free to do whatever 'floats your boat' (couldn't help myself Smile
Commercial operations are required to have life vests for each person, a raft (big enough for everyone) and a pyrotechnic signal device (IIRC - haven't reviewed the regs lately)

I fly over water on trips from SE MI to Ohio over Lake Erie, and over Lake Michigan to OSH.
Whenever possible, I choose routes and altitudes that keep me, for the most part, within gliding distance of shore, and I'm always in contact with ATC or FSS in some manner (IFR, flight following, ...)
I usually borrow life vests from a buddy who has a sea plane.

You can get decent light weight life vests and signaling devices at a boating store. It's basically like insurance, better to have it and do whatever you can to never need it. But the bottom line is that you are free to do whatever meets your comfort level.

Dennis Glaeser
RV-7A N751DG (at) 57D - 150 hrs

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Living and flying around the DelMarVa peninsula provides great scenery - lots of
farms, rivers, and places to go.

I'm concerned that there is a lot of water here - with the Chesapeake and Delaware
bays nearby...and let's not forget the Atlantic Ocean.

I'm thinking that I should be carrying some sort of water survival gear for my
trips across the bay's at least.

Does anyone know what the specific rules are? I don't have my FAR/AIM with me
- and I am still flying off my phase I hours.

The Cape May County airport (WWD) is within my 50nm circle and I could climb to
altitude to ensure a safe glide distance to either side of the bay...but I would
really like to know the right way.....

Eventually, I'll be heading north to visit family in New England and there'll be
some water to cross on the way there - regardless of the chosen route.

So...what are the rules?

Thanks,
Ralph
RV6A N822AR (at) N06 24.9 hrs

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

krhooper(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:16 am    Post subject: Flying over water Reply with quote

You might read FAR 91.509

Randy Hooper
On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 10:31 AM, GLAESER, DENNIS <dennis.glaeser(at)hp.com (dennis.glaeser(at)hp.com)> wrote:
Quote:
--> RV-List message posted by: "GLAESER, DENNIS" <dennis.glaeser(at)hp.com (dennis.glaeser(at)hp.com)>

For Part 91 operations (non-commercial), there are no rules.  You're free to do whatever 'floats your boat' (couldn't help myself Smile
Commercial operations are required to have life vests for each person, a raft (big enough for everyone) and a pyrotechnic signal device (IIRC - haven't reviewed the regs lately)

I fly over water on trips from SE MI to Ohio over Lake Erie, and over Lake Michigan to OSH.
Whenever possible, I choose routes and altitudes that keep me, for the most part, within gliding distance of shore, and I'm always in contact with ATC or FSS in some manner (IFR, flight following, ..)

You can get decent light weight life vests and signaling devices at a boating store.  It's basically like insurance, better to have it and do whatever you can to never need it.  But the bottom line is that you are free to do whatever meets your comfort level.

Dennis Glaeser

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Living and flying around the DelMarVa peninsula provides great scenery - lots of

I'm concerned that there is a lot of water here - with the Chesapeake and Delaware

Does anyone know what the specific rules are?  I don't have my FAR/AIM with me

altitude to ensure a safe glide distance to either side of the bay...but I would

Eventually, I'll be heading north to visit family in New England and there'll be

So...what are the rules?

And....what is everyone really doing?http://ww===
http://forums.mle, List Admin.
=====

--
Randy Hooper
[quote][b]

mr.sun

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:42 am    Post subject: Flying over water Reply with quote

Anyone have any idea of how to ditch a tailwheel RV with a tip up canopy?  Ideas?  Survival gear could be a moot point if the ditching goes poorly.  A discussion came up and it was proposed to dip a wingtip in the water at the last instant to avoid flipping on your back.  The term "cartwheel" came to mind.

do not archive

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 9:10 AM, Randy Hooper <krhooper(at)gmail.com (krhooper(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
[quote] You might read FAR 91.509

Randy Hooper

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 10:31 AM, GLAESER, DENNIS <dennis.glaeser(at)hp.com (dennis.glaeser(at)hp.com)> wrote:

Quote:

--> RV-List message posted by: "GLAESER, DENNIS" <dennis.glaeser(at)hp.com (dennis.glaeser(at)hp.com)>

For Part 91 operations (non-commercial), there are no rules.  You're free to do whatever 'floats your boat' (couldn't help myself Smile

Whenever possible, I choose routes and altitudes that keep me, for the most part, within gliding distance of shore, and I'm always in contact with ATC or FSS in some manner (IFR, flight following, ..)

You can get decent light weight life vests and signaling devices at a boating store.  It's basically like insurance, better to have it and do whatever you can to never need it.  But the bottom line is that you are free to do whatever meets your comfort level.

Dennis Glaeser

Does anyone know what the specific rules are?  I don't have my FAR/AIM with me

So...what are the rules?

And....what is everyone really doing? owse, Chat, FAQ,
="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List" target="_blank">http://ww===
=====

--
Randy Hooper

Quote:

t="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
tp://forums.matronics.com
_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[b]

gyoung

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:21 am    Post subject: Flying over water Reply with quote

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> Why don't you just enlighten us?
Regards,GregSent from my Blackberry
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 11:10:28 -0500
To: <rv-list(at)matronics.com>
Subject: Re: RV-List: Re: Flying over water
=A0
Randy Hooper
On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 10:31 AM, GLAESER, DENNI= S <dennis.gla= eser(at)hp.com (dennis.glaeser(at)hp.com)> wrote:
Quote:
--> RV-List message posted by= : "GLAESER, DENNIS" <= dennis.glaeser(at)hp.com (dennis.glaeser(at)hp.com)>

For Part 91 operations (non-commercial), there are no rules. =A0You&#39= ;re free to do whatever 'floats your boat' (couldn't help mysel= f Smile
Commercial operations are required to have life vests for each per= son, a raft (big enough for everyone) and a pyrotechnic signal device (IIRC= - haven't reviewed the regs lately)

I fly over water on trips from SE MI to Ohio over Lake Erie, and over L= ake Michigan to OSH.
Whenever possible, I choose routes and altitudes th= at keep me, for the most part, within gliding distance of shore, and I'= m always in contact with ATC or FSS in some manner (IFR, flight following, = ...)

You ca= n get decent light weight life vests and signaling devices at a boating sto= re. =A0It's basically like insurance, better to have it and do whatever= you can to never need it. =A0But the bottom line is that you are free to d= o whatever meets your comfort level.

Dennis Glaeser

-----------------= ---------------------------------------------------------------------------= -----
Living and flying around the DelMarVa = peninsula provides great scenery - lots of

I'm concerned that there is a l= ot of water here - with the Chesapeake and Delaware
bays nearby...and le= t's not forget the Atlantic Ocean.

I'm thinking that I shoul= d be carrying some sort of water survival gear for my

Does anyone know what the speci= fic rules are? =A0I don't have my FAR/AIM with me
- and I am still f= lying off my phase I hours.

The Cape May County airport (WWD) is wit= hin my 50nm circle and I could climb to
altitude to ensure a safe glide distance to either side of the bay...but I = would

Eventually, I'll= be heading north to visit family in New England and there'll be
<= br>So...what are the rules?

And....what is everyone really doing?http://ww= =3D=3D=3D
http://forums.m= le, List Admin.
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

--
Randy Hooper
Quote:
_-=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D _-=3D - The RV-List Email Forum - _-=3D Use the Matronics List Features Navigator to browse _-=3D the many List utilities such as List Un/Subscription, _-=3D Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, _-=3D Photoshare, and much much more: _-=3D _-=3D --> http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List _-=3D _-=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D _-=3D - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS - _-=3D Same great content also available via the Web Forums! _-=3D _-=3D --> http://forums.matronics.com _-=3D _-=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D _-=3D - List Contribution Web Site - _-=3D Thank you for your generous support! _-=3D -Matt Dralle, List Admin. _-=3D --> http://www.matronics.com/contribution _-=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
¦·›~‰íúȳ{Z+

recapen(at)earthlink.net

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:47 am    Post subject: Flying over water Reply with quote

Here's what I got from another list response:

"I think the way it works for part 91 aircraft such as the RV's is that there are no specific rules. There are regulations regarding survival equipment (91.509 -[ http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=fa6bbc1247720f831fa68e0c062499c6&rgn=div8&view=text&node=14:2.0.1.3.10.6.7.5&idno=14 ]) and communication equipment (91.511 - [ http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=fa6bbc1247720f831fa68e0c062499c6&rgn=div8&view=text&node=14:2.0.1.3.10.6.7.6&idno=14 ]), but these regulations fall under Subpart F and apply only to large turbine-powered multi-engine aircraft and aircraft that are in a fractional ownership program."

Thanks to Dan Baier.....
--

kahuna

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject: Flying over water Reply with quote

do not archive Sec. 91.509

Survival equipment for overwater operations.

(a) No person may take off an airplane for a flight over water more than 50 nautical miles from the nearest shore unless that airplane is equipped with a life preserver or an approved flotation means for each occupant of the airplane.
[
(b) Except as provided in paragraph (c) of this section, no person may take off an airplane for flight over water more than 30 minutes flying time or 100 nautical miles from the nearest shore, whichever is less, unless it has on board the following survival equipment:]
(1) A life preserver, equipped with an approved survivor locator light, for each occupant of the airplane.
(2) Enough liferafts (each equipped with an approved survival locator light) of a rated capacity and buoyancy to accommodate the occupants of the airplane.
(3) At least one pyrotechnic signaling device for each liferaft.
(4) One self-buoyant, water-resistant, portable emergency radio signaling device that is capable of transmission on the appropriate emergency frequency or frequencies and not dependent upon the airplane power supply.
(5) A lifeline stored in accordance with Sec. 25.1411(g) of this chapter.
[
(c) A fractional ownership program manager under subpart K of this part may apply for a deviation from paragraphs (b)(2) through (5) of this section for a particular over water operation or the Administrator may amend the management specifications to require the carriage of all or any specific items of the equipment listed in paragraphs (b)(2) through (5) of this section.
(d) The required life rafts, life preservers, and signaling devices must be installed in conspicuously marked locations and easily accessible in the event of a ditching without appreciable time for preparatory procedures.
(e) A survival kit, appropriately equipped for the route to be flown, must be attached to each required life raft.
(f) As used in this section, the term shore means that area of the land adjacent to the water that is above the high water mark and excludes land areas that are intermittently under water.]

[img]cid:1__=08BBFC8CDFF53A478f9e8a93df938(at)us.ibm.com[/img]"Greg Young" ---08/27/2009 02:40:57 PM---Why don't you just enlighten us? Regards,

[img]cid:2__=08BBFC8CDFF53A478f9e8a93df938(at)us.ibm.com[/img]
From:[img]cid:2__=08BBFC8CDFF53A478f9e8a93df938(at)us.ibm.com[/img]
"Greg Young" <gyoung(at)cs-sol.com> [img]cid:2__=08BBFC8CDFF53A478f9e8a93df938(at)us.ibm.com[/img]
To:[img]cid:2__=08BBFC8CDFF53A478f9e8a93df938(at)us.ibm.com[/img]
"RV List" <rv-list(at)matronics.com> [img]cid:2__=08BBFC8CDFF53A478f9e8a93df938(at)us.ibm.com[/img]
Date:[img]cid:2__=08BBFC8CDFF53A478f9e8a93df938(at)us.ibm.com[/img]
08/27/2009 02:40 PM [img]cid:2__=08BBFC8CDFF53A478f9e8a93df938(at)us.ibm.com[/img]
Subject:[img]cid:2__=08BBFC8CDFF53A478f9e8a93df938(at)us.ibm.com[/img]
Re: RV-List: Re: Flying over water [img]cid:2__=08BBFC8CDFF53A478f9e8a93df938(at)us.ibm.com[/img]
Sent by:[img]cid:2__=08BBFC8CDFF53A478f9e8a93df938(at)us.ibm.com[/img]
owner-rv-list-server(at)matronics.com

Why don't you just enlighten us?
Regards,GregSent from my Blackberry
Date
: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 11:10:28 -0500
To
: <rv-list(at)matronics.com>
Subject
: Re: RV-List: Re: Flying over water
=A0
Randy Hooper

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 10:31 AM, GLAESER, DENNI= S <[url=3D%22mailto:dennis.glaeser(at)hp.com%22]dennis.gla= eser(at)hp.com[/url]> wrote:
      --> RV-List message posted by= : "GLAESER, DENNIS" <[url=3D%22mailto:dennis.glaeser(at)hp.com%22]= dennis.glaeser(at)hp.com[/url]>

For Part 91 operations (non-commercial), there are no rules. =A0You'= ;re free to do whatever 'floats your boat' (couldn't help mysel= f Smile
      Commercial operations are required to have life vests for each per= son, a raft (big enough for everyone) and a pyrotechnic signal device (IIRC= - haven't reviewed the regs lately)

I fly over water on trips from SE MI to Ohio over Lake Erie, and over L= ake Michigan to OSH.
      Whenever possible, I choose routes and altitudes th= at keep me, for the most part, within gliding distance of shore, and I'= m always in contact with ATC or FSS in some manner (IFR, flight following, = ...)

You ca= n get decent light weight life vests and signaling devices at a boating sto= re. =A0It's basically like insurance, better to have it and do whatever= you can to never need it. =A0But the bottom line is that you are free to d= o whatever meets your comfort level.

Dennis Glaeser

-----------------= ---------------------------------------------------------------------------= -----
      Living and flying around the DelMarVa = peninsula provides great scenery - lots of

I'm concerned that there is a l= ot of water here - with the Chesapeake and Delaware

I'm thinking that I shoul= d be carrying some sort of water survival gear for my

Does anyone know what the speci= fic rules are? =A0I don't have my FAR/AIM with me

The Cape May County airport (WWD) is wit= hin my 50nm circle and I could climb to
      altitude to ensure a safe glide distance to either side of the bay...but I = would

Eventually, I'll= be heading north to visit family in New England and there'll be

And....what is everyone really doing? owse, Chat, FAQ,
      =3D"http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List" target=3D"_blank">http://ww= =3D=3D=3D
      http://forums.m= le, List Admin.
      =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

--
Randy Hooper

[url=3D%22http://forums.matronics.com/%22]  _-=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D _-=3D          - The RV-List Email Forum - _-=3D Use the Matronics List Features Navigator to browse _-=3D the many List utilities such as List Un/Subscription, _-=3D Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, _-=3D Photoshare, and much much more: _-=3D _-=3D   --> [/url][url=3D%22http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List%22]http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List[/url] _-=3D _-=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D _-=3D               - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS - _-=3D Same great content also available via the Web Forums! _-=3D _-=3D   --> [url=3D%22http://forums.matronics.com%22/]http://forums.matronics.com[/url] _-=3D _-=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D _-=3D             - List Contribution Web Site - _-=3D  Thank you for your generous support! _-=3D                              -Matt Dralle, List Admin. _-=3D   --> [url=3D%22http://www.matronics.com/contribution%22]http://www.matronics.com/contribution[/url] _-=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
¦·›~‰í²,Þ

graycol.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  105 Bytes
 Viewed:  7776 Time(s)

graycol.gif

ecblank.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  45 Bytes

ecblank.gif

mrobert569(at)hotmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:18 am    Post subject: Flying over water Reply with quote

While this reg is a good guideline for all to use it is only regulatory to large and turbine powered airplanes C and fractional ownership program aircraft.  Meaning it does not apply to RV's. 

Mike Robertson
Das Fed

Subject: Re: Re: Flying over water
To: rv-list(at)matronics.com
Date: Thu C 27 Aug 2009 14:42:23 -0400

do not archive Sec. 91.509

Survival equipment for overwater operations.

(a) No person may take off an airplane for a flight over water more than 50 nautical miles from the nearest shore unless that airplane is equipped with a life preserver or an approved flotation means for each occupant of the airplane.
[
(b) Except as provided in paragraph (c) of this section C no person may take off an airplane for flight over water more than 30 minutes flying time or 100 nautical miles from the nearest shore C whichever is less C unless it has on board the following survival equipment:]
(1) A life preserver C equipped with an approved survivor locator light C for each occupant of the airplane.
(2) Enough liferafts (each equipped with an approved survival locator light) of a rated capacity and buoyancy to accommodate the occupants of the airplane.
(3) At least one pyrotechnic signaling device for each liferaft.
(4) One self-buoyant C water-resistant C portable emergency radio signaling device that is capable of transmission on the appropriate emergency frequency or frequencies and not dependent upon the airplane power supply.
(5) A lifeline stored in accordance with Sec. 25.1411(g) of this chapter.
[
(c) A fractional ownership program manager under subpart K of this part may apply for a deviation from paragraphs (b)(2) through (5) of this section for a particular over water operation or the Administrator may amend the management specifications to require the carriage of all or any specific items of the equipment listed in paragraphs (b)(2) through (5) of this section.
(d) The required life rafts C life preservers C and signaling devices must be installed in conspicuously marked locations and easily accessible in the event of a ditching without appreciable time for preparatory procedures.
(e) A survival kit C appropriately equipped for the route to be flown C must be attached to each required life raft.
(f) As used in this section C the term shore means that area of the land adjacent to the water that is above the high water mark and excludes land areas that are intermittently under water.]
[img]cid:1__=08BBFC8CDFF53A478f9e8a93df938(at)us.ibm.com[/img]"Greg Young" ---08/27/2009 02:40:57 PM---Why don't you just enlighten us? Regards C

[img]cid:2__=08BBFC8CDFF53A478f9e8a93df938(at)us.ibm.com[/img]
From: [img]cid:2__=08BBFC8CDFF53A478f9e8a93df938(at)us.ibm.com[/img]
"Greg Young" <gyoung(at)cs-sol.com> [img]cid:2__=08BBFC8CDFF53A478f9e8a93df938(at)us.ibm.com[/img]
To: [img]cid:2__=08BBFC8CDFF53A478f9e8a93df938(at)us.ibm.com[/img]
"RV List" <rv-list(at)matronics.com> [img]cid:2__=08BBFC8CDFF53A478f9e8a93df938(at)us.ibm.com[/img]
Date: [img]cid:2__=08BBFC8CDFF53A478f9e8a93df938(at)us.ibm.com[/img]
08/27/2009 02:40 PM [img]cid:2__=08BBFC8CDFF53A478f9e8a93df938(at)us.ibm.com[/img]
Subject: [img]cid:2__=08BBFC8CDFF53A478f9e8a93df938(at)us.ibm.com[/img]
Re: RV-List: Re: Flying over water [img]cid:2__=08BBFC8CDFF53A478f9e8a93df938(at)us.ibm.com[/img]
Sent by: [img]cid:2__=08BBFC8CDFF53A478f9e8a93df938(at)us.ibm.com[/img]
owner-rv-list-server(at)matronics.com
Why don't you just enlighten us?
Date
: Thu C 27 Aug 2009 11:10:28 -0500
To
: <rv-list(at)matronics.com>
Subject
: Re: Re: Flying over water
=A0
Randy Hooper

On Thu C Aug 27 C 2009 at 10:31 AM C GLAESER C DENNI= S <dennis.gla= eser(at)hp.com> wrote:
      --> RV-List message posted by= : "GLAESER C DENNIS" <= dennis.glaeser(at)hp.com>

For Part 91 operations (non-commercial) C there are no rules. =A0You'= ;re free to do whatever 'floats your boat' (couldn't help mysel= f Smile
      Commercial operations are required to have life vests for each per= son C a raft (big enough for everyone) and a pyrotechnic signal device (IIRC= - haven't reviewed the regs lately)

I fly over water on trips from SE MI to Ohio over Lake Erie C and over L= ake Michigan to OSH.
      Whenever possible C I choose routes and altitudes th= at keep me C for the most part C within gliding distance of shore C and I'= m always in contact with ATC or FSS in some manner (IFR C flight following C = ...)

You ca= n get decent light weight life vests and signaling devices at a boating sto= re. =A0It's basically like insurance C better to have it and do whatever= you can to never need it. =A0But the bottom line is that you are free to d= o whatever meets your comfort level.

Dennis Glaeser

farms C rivers C and places to go.

Eventually C I'll= be heading north to visit family in New England and there'll be

And....what is everyone really doing? owse C Chat C FAQ C
      =3D"http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List" target=3D"_blank">http://ww= =3D=3D=3D
      http://forums.m= le C List Admin.
      =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

--
Randy Hooper
[/u][/b]http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D; --> [/b]http://forums.matronics.com&nbs=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D                &nb[b][u]http://www.matronics.com/contri3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
¦·›~‰í² CÞ

Get back to school stuff for them and cashback for you. Try Bing™ now.

graycol.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  105 Bytes

graycol.gif

ecblank.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  45 Bytes

ecblank.gif

recapen(at)earthlink.net

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject: Flying over water Reply with quote

Thanks Mike.....
Meaning that I'm kinda back to the original no-real-rules statement.
I'm thinking a set of inflatable suspender-type with a light and whistle attached (like I use while sailing) is a good start - I can wear that and still strap in properly.

--

pitts_pilot(at)bellsouth.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:57 am    Post subject: Flying over water Reply with quote

The cartwheel worked for a grumman off the coast of Australia. Although
not a TW, the nose wheel makes a flip almost guaranteed. Video on
Youtube, I think.
Linn

mr.gsun(at)gmail.com wrote:
Quote:
Anyone have any idea of how to ditch a tailwheel RV with a tip up
canopy? Ideas? Survival gear could be a moot point if the ditching
goes poorly. A discussion came up and it was proposed to dip a wingtip
in the water at the last instant to avoid flipping on your back. The
term "cartwheel" came to mind.

do not archive

Kellym

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:10 pm    Post subject: Flying over water Reply with quote

You might read the preamble to subpart F that 509 is in:
"91.501 (a) This subpart prescribes operating rules, in addition to
those prescribed in other subparts of this part, governing the operation
of large airplanes of U.S. registry, turbojet-powered multiengine civil
airplanes of U.S. registry, and fractional ownership program aircraft of
U.S. registry that are operating under subpart K of this part in
operations not involving common carriage."

AFAIK, no RV has multiengine turbojet power, and none come close to the
gross wt limits of a large aircraft.

Randy Hooper wrote:
Quote:

Randy Hooper

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 10:31 AM, GLAESER, DENNIS <dennis.glaeser(at)hp.com
<mailto:dennis.glaeser(at)hp.com>> wrote:

<dennis.glaeser(at)hp.com <mailto:dennis.glaeser(at)hp.com>>

For Part 91 operations (non-commercial), there are no rules. You're
free to do whatever 'floats your boat' (couldn't help myself Smile
Commercial operations are required to have life vests for each
person, a raft (big enough for everyone) and a pyrotechnic signal
device (IIRC - haven't reviewed the regs lately)

I fly over water on trips from SE MI to Ohio over Lake Erie, and
over Lake Michigan to OSH.
Whenever possible, I choose routes and altitudes that keep me, for
the most part, within gliding distance of shore, and I'm always in
contact with ATC or FSS in some manner (IFR, flight following, ...)

You can get decent light weight life vests and signaling devices at
a boating store. It's basically like insurance, better to have it
and do whatever you can to never need it. But the bottom line is
that you are free to do whatever meets your comfort level.

Dennis Glaeser

Living and flying around the DelMarVa peninsula provides great
scenery - lots of

I'm concerned that there is a lot of water here - with the
Chesapeake and Delaware

I'm thinking that I should be carrying some sort of water survival
gear for my

Does anyone know what the specific rules are? I don't have my
FAR/AIM with me

The Cape May County airport (WWD) is within my 50nm circle and I
could climb to
altitude to ensure a safe glide distance to either side of the
bay...but I would

Eventually, I'll be heading north to visit family in New England and
there'll be

So...what are the rules?

owse, Chat, FAQ,
="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List"
target="_blank">http://ww===
=====

<http://forums.matronics.com/>

--
Randy Hooper

Tim Olson

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject: Flying over water Reply with quote

Yep, inflatable life vests would work great, and most come with
a whistle and streamer at least, and I think mine has a mirror
too.

For what it's worth, a life raft would be excellent, but if
you're one of those who's not inclined to spend the money
on a $1000 life raft and bring it along, there is another
option. A queen sized air bed could be blown up by mouth
if you were really way out there, while you're floating
using your life vest. Then that would suffice as better
than nothing. I say that kind of tongue-in-cheek because yeah,
it's cheesy and there are plenty of good things that make
auto-inflate rafts much nicer....but if I were in the
middle of the ocean with just a life vest, I'd be wishing
I had at least threw in the old air bed. Wink

Tim Olson - RV-10 N104CD
do not archive
Ralph E. Capen wrote:
[quote]

Thanks Mike.....
I'm thinking a set of inflatable suspender-type with a light and whistle attached (like I use while sailing) is a good start - I can wear that and still strap in properly.

--

gyoung

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:41 pm    Post subject: Flying over water Reply with quote

I have been considering one of those suspender types for when I cut the
corner over Apalachicola Bay going to SnF. They are a Class III device.
Hoping they would be good if I ever wanted to fly to the Bahamas I asked
AOPA what was required and they said any Coast Guard approved device was OK.
I'm not sure what reg covers international over water but everyone acts like
there is one. Darn near anything other than a water ski belt is a Class III
or better so take your pick based on physical and mental comfort.

Regards,
Greg Young

[quote] --

khorton01(at)rogers.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:09 pm    Post subject: Flying over water Reply with quote

You can't just take ever FAR at face value.  You have to find the
applicability statement that applies to the regulation in question.
The applicability for FAR 91 Subpart F (91.501 to 91.535) is found in
91.501: "This subpart prescribes operating rules, in addition to those
prescribed in other subparts of this part, governing the operation of
large airplanes of U.S. registry, turbojet-powered multiengine civil
airplanes of U.S. registry ...".
91.509 is not applicable to RVs.

So - no rules.

If the water is warm enough so you could survive immersion for a few
hours, I would simply wear inflatable life jackets. If the water was
cold enough that you might not survive for a few hours, I would either
wear an immersion suit, or I would remain within gliding distance of
shore.

Transport Canada publication TP13822 "Survival in Cold Waters :
Staying Alive" is a good resource (10 MB pdf):

<http://www.tc.gc.ca/publications/EN/TP13822/PDF/HR/TP13822E.pdf>

The data in Figure 2 in Chapter 1 of TP 13822 suggests that if the
water is 65 deg F or warmer, that someone wearing a life jacket will
survive for many, many hours. The survival time starts to fall off
significantly if the water temperature is below 60 deg F.

This document presents data from many studies. The data from
laboratory studies, using cold water tanks, suggests longer survival
times that is found in studies using real bodies of water. If there
are no waves (as in a laboratory study), and the survivor keeps still,
rather than trying to swim, he might survive 3 hours if the water is
50 deg F. But, if there are waves, the survivor must keep the limbs
moving to keep the waves at his back. Moving the limbs causes more
heat to be lost, and eventually the muscles become non-responsive.
Then he may drown as he cannot prevent the body from turning to face
the waves.

Bottom line - if the water is colder than 60 deg F, a life jacket
alone probably isn't enough to guarantee survival, unless there is
enough water traffic that you would be rescued quickly.
--
Kevin Horton
Ottawa, Canada
On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 12:10, Randy Hooper <krhooper(at)gmail.com> wrote:
Quote:

Randy Hooper

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 10:31 AM, GLAESER, DENNIS <dennis.glaeser(at)hp.com> wrote:
>
>
>
> For Part 91 operations (non-commercial), there are no rules.  You're free to do whatever 'floats your boat' (couldn't help myself Smile
> Commercial operations are required to have life vests for each person, a raft (big enough for everyone) and a pyrotechnic signal device (IIRC - haven't reviewed the regs lately)
>
> I fly over water on trips from SE MI to Ohio over Lake Erie, and over Lake Michigan to OSH.
> Whenever possible, I choose routes and altitudes that keep me, for the most part, within gliding distance of shore, and I'm always in contact with ATC or FSS in some manner (IFR, flight following, ...)
> I usually borrow life vests from a buddy who has a sea plane.
>
> You can get decent light weight life vests and signaling devices at a boating store.  It's basically like insurance, better to have it and do whatever you can to never need it.  But the bottom line is that you are free to do whatever meets your comfort level.
>
> Dennis Glaeser
> RV-7A N751DG (at) 57D - 150 hrs
>
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> From:   Ralph E. Capen
> Living and flying around the DelMarVa peninsula provides great scenery - lots of
> farms, rivers, and places to go.
>
> I'm concerned that there is a lot of water here - with the Chesapeake and Delaware
> bays nearby...and let's not forget the Atlantic Ocean.
>
> I'm thinking that I should be carrying some sort of water survival gear for my
> trips across the bay's at least.
>
> Does anyone know what the specific rules are?  I don't have my FAR/AIM with me
> - and I am still flying off my phase I hours.
>
> The Cape May County airport (WWD) is within my 50nm circle and I could climb to
> altitude to ensure a safe glide distance to either side of the bay...but I would
> really like to know the right way.....
>
> Eventually, I'll be heading north to visit family in New England and there'll be
> some water to cross on the way there - regardless of the chosen route.
>
> So...what are the rules?
>
> And....what is everyone really doing?

mdredmond(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:43 am    Post subject: Flying over water Reply with quote

I'm not sure if I'm replying properly guys.  Let me know if I'm doing this wrong.  I only subscribe to the digest, which makes replying awkward.

Ralph, I'd at least have an inflatable as you mention (I have SOSpenders), but be sure to take the auto-inflate bobbin out!  You wouldn't want to be in your upside-down plane with an inflated vest on...

>Thanks Mike.....
Quote:
I'm thinking a set of inflatable suspender-type with a light and whistle attached
(like I use while sailing) is a good start - I can wear that and still strap
>in properly

[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: