Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CHT probes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dbaleshta(at)tru.ca

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:43 pm    Post subject: CHT probes Reply with quote

I don't think I've seen this anywhere on the list, but is there a difference between a type K thermocouple ring style (sits under the sparkplug between the sparkplug and the head) vs the straight style that screws into the head? And, I believe Bob (or someone) mentioned that standard aircraft wire can connect to the thermocouple wires if they are not long enough, provided the lengths are identical, is that correct?

thanks
Doug

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
ainut(at)hiwaay.net

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: CHT probes Reply with quote

For TC's, Greg, it is not recommended. The unit depends upon an exact
measurement between two certain wires (dependent upon TC type.)

David M...

Doug Baleshta wrote:
Quote:

I don't think I've seen this anywhere on the list, but is there a difference between a type K thermocouple ring style (sits under the sparkplug between the sparkplug and the head) vs the straight style that screws into the head? And, I believe Bob (or someone) mentioned that standard aircraft wire can connect to the thermocouple wires if they are not long enough, provided the lengths are identical, is that correct?

thanks
Doug

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

harley(at)AgelessWings.co

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:19 am    Post subject: CHT probes Reply with quote

Doug Baleshta wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "Doug Baleshta" <dbaleshta(at)tru.ca> (dbaleshta(at)tru.ca)

thanks
Doug
Morning, Doug...

I'll let someone else answer the difference between mounting a TC under the plug and in the head...obviously, the temperatures will read differently, but as far as I know, once you get used to what your readings are, either method is acceptable.

As for connecting thermocouples, for the most accurate reading, the wires AND connectors along the entire length, right up to and including the instrument reading the signal itself, should all be of the same two dissimilar materials. This includes any terminal or plug connections as well. These are available at any supply house that deals in thermocouples and are not expensive. Omega Engineering is a great source of information and components and is online. It was one source of TC and RTD supplies in my other life when I was involved in automating a pharmaceutical company's manufacturing.

A TC is simply two wires of dissimilar material connected at one end. The different types of TC (J,K,T, etc.) have different sets of materials in them for different ranges of temperature.

Thermocouples don't work by having a voltage or signal supplied to them, but are generators of a very small voltage themselves, which changes slightly as the temperature changes. Monitoring this voltage change is what the readout instrument does, then massages the reading and converts it to numbers that relate to a temperature scale that you have selected.

Connecting ANY two dissimilar metals, not just the ones used in TCs, will produce voltages. So, connecting the specific wire in a thermocouple (iron, constantin, etc.) to another type of wire or connector (copper, steel, brass, aluminum, etc.)along the route to the instrument will (not "might") generate additional voltages that may add to or degrade the signal you are trying to read.
For accurate readings, all the wire and connectors should be the same material as used in the TC itself. So, since the two wires in a TC are DIFFERENT materials, even when using TC extension wire or thermocouple couplers or plugs, be sure to connect the wires to the terminal or extension wire that is the same material (they are color coded) or you could seriously degrade or even cancel your signal. Remember, even solder (which is lead or tin) will generate it's own voltages in contract with the TC wire, and will degrade the signal between the two wires, so use compatible mechanical connections wherever possible. Many TC materials don't solder well anyway.

For a clearer description, read this: www.omega.com/thermocouples.html and this:
www.omega.com/techref/themointro.html

Harley Dixon [quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: