Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Grounding Questions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phil.Perry(at)netapp.com

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Grounding Questions Reply with quote

I’m in the process of trying to layout my electrical system on paper and in my head.

Probably the best place to start is with the grounding system. I really don’t like the idea of routing current through the airframe and would prefer to ground everything back to a block.

Here is where I think I’m headed.

<![if !supportLists]>1) <![endif]>Run a line directly from the (-) Terminal of the battery forward to the firewall.
<![if !supportLists]>a. <![endif]>Attach this line to a “Forest of Tab” on the interior side of the firewall. Ground everything forward of the baggage compartment to this spot.
<![if !supportLists]>b. <![endif]>Jump through the firewall on the other side and ground all FWF items to the “Forest of Tab” on the FWF side.
<![if !supportLists]>c. <![endif]>I’ll also ground the crank case at this point too.

<![if !supportLists]>2) <![endif]>Run a line directly from the (-) Terminal of the battery to the left wing tip and install a Forest out there too…..
<![if !supportLists]>a. <![endif]>Install a similar setup for NAV, Strobe, Taxi/Landing, Pitot heat, Aileron Trim, Stall Warning, etc……

<![if !supportLists]>3) <![endif]>Run a line directly from the (-) Terminal of the battery to the right wing tip and install a Forest.
<![if !supportLists]>a. <![endif]>Repeat the left side setup of grounding on the wing items on the right side.

<![if !supportLists]>4) <![endif]>Run a line directly from the (-) Terminal of the battery to a “Forest of Tabs” located beside the battery box.
<![if !supportLists]>a. <![endif]>This is for the point for grounding all tailcone electronics. NAV, Rudder Trim Servo, Elevator Servo, and any other electronic devices that end up aft of the baggage compartment.

How have you designed your grounding system? Grounding issues can be a pain to chase down, so that’s the reason I’m really wanting to spend the time designing a system that is pretty robust and easy to trace.

Thanks,
Phil

[quote][b]

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
pitts_pilot(at)bellsouth.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject: Grounding Questions Reply with quote

Perry, Phil wrote:
Quote:
I’m in the process of trying to layout my electrical system on paper and
in my head.

Probably the best place to start is with the grounding system. I really
don’t like the idea of routing current through the airframe and would
prefer to ground everything back to a block.

1) Run a line directly from the (-) Terminal of the battery forward
to the firewall.

a. Attach this line to a “Forest of Tab” on the interior side of
the firewall. Ground everything forward of the baggage compartment to
this spot.
My only comment would be to mount the 'forest of tabs' on the sub-panel

where it's access is better than the firewall. You never know when
you'll add something!
Quote:

b. Jump through the firewall on the other side and ground all FWF
items to the “Forest of Tab” on the FWF side.

c. I’ll also ground the crank case at this point too.

2) Run a line directly from the (-) Terminal of the battery to the
left wing tip and install a Forest out there too…..

a. Install a similar setup for NAV, Strobe, Taxi/Landing, Pitot
heat, Aileron Trim, Stall Warning, etc……

3) Run a line directly from the (-) Terminal of the battery to the
right wing tip and install a Forest.

a. Repeat the left side setup of grounding on the wing items on
the right side.

4) Run a line directly from the (-) Terminal of the battery to a
“Forest of Tabs” located beside the battery box.

a. This is for the point for grounding all tailcone electronics.
NAV, Rudder Trim Servo, Elevator Servo, and any other electronic devices
that end up aft of the baggage compartment.

I can't really find anything 'wrong' with doing things this way with the
exception of electronic AHRS and Compass mounted back there. They
should have a ground wire going back to the ground point of your
electronics. The ground potential COULD be different and cause
problems, but for strobes and lamps etc. I see no reason not to use a
forest of tabs here.
Quote:

How have you designed your grounding system? Grounding issues can be a
pain to chase down, so that’s the reason I’m really wanting to spend the
time designing a system that is pretty robust and easy to trace.

You pretty much have your grounding system laid out like mine is.
Linn

Quote:

Thanks,

Phil

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

jesse(at)saintaviation.co

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:47 pm    Post subject: Grounding Questions Reply with quote

Are all of these Forests of Tabs going to be isolated from airframe (except at the firewall)? If so, where will your main airframe ground be? I assume at the firewall. If not, with wires from the battery negative post to airframe at all of these points, would that introduce more ground loop possibilities in the airframe, with the ground being able to go through the airframe or through the wire back to the battery? Just curious. I just remember from my research that giving the ground two possible options/paths can cause more noise in the system.

do not archive

Jesse Saint
Saint Aviation, Inc.
jesse(at)saintaviation.com (jesse(at)saintaviation.com)
Cell: 352-427-0285
Fax: 815-377-3694

On Aug 30, 2009, at 8:53 PM, Perry, Phil wrote:
Quote:
I’m in the process of trying to layout my electrical system on paper and in my head.

Probably the best place to start is with the grounding system. I really don’t like the idea of routing current through the airframe and would prefer to ground everything back to a block.

1) Run a line directly from the (-) Terminal of the battery forward to the firewall.
a. Attach this line to a “Forest of Tab” on the interior side of the firewall. Ground everything forward of the baggage compartment to this spot.
b. Jump through the firewall on the other side and ground all FWF items to the “Forest of Tab” on the FWF side.
2) Run a line directly from the (-) Terminal of the battery to the left wing tip and install a Forest out there too…..
a. Install a similar setup for NAV, Strobe, Taxi/Landing, Pitot heat, Aileron Trim, Stall Warning, etc……
3) Run a line directly from the (-) Terminal of the battery to the right wing tip and install a Forest.
a. Repeat the left side setup of grounding on the wing items on the right side.
4) Run a line directly from the (-) Terminal of the battery to a “Forest of Tabs” located beside the battery box.
a. This is for the point for grounding all tailcone electronics. NAV, Rudder Trim Servo, Elevator Servo, and any other electronic devices that end up aft of the baggage compartment.

How have you designed your grounding system? Grounding issues can be a pain to chase down, so that’s the reason I’m really wanting to spend the time designing a system that is pretty robust and easy to trace.

Thanks,
Phil

Quote:

style="color: blue; text-decoration: underline; ">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
blue; text-decoration: underline; ">http://forums.matronics.com
style="color: blue; text-decoration: underline; ">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[quote][b]

carl.froehlich(at)verizon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:13 pm    Post subject: Grounding Questions Reply with quote

Phil,

Some thoughts:
<![if !supportLists]>1. <![endif]> The only thing on the engine that needs a hefty ground is the starter. Run your ground wire from the same bolt that goes through the firewall to the nice ground lug on the starter (a number #4 wire works well). On the same starter ground lug do a jumper (like a ground strap or perhaps a piece of #6 wire) to the mounting bolts on the alternator. This way you have an excellent ground path for both the starter and the alternator.
<![if !supportLists]>2. <![endif]>I plan on two Odyssey PC625 batteries in my RV-10 (that is what I’m running in my 8A). These will be enable split bus operation in the event of a failure of one side or the other. If you plan on split power supplies, keep in mind a single ground wire that connect both battery grounds to a single point defeats the purpose of having redundant power supplies. Run a single common #2 or #4 wire that connects both battery grounds to the firewall bolt discussed above (this is the starter ground and half of the panel ground). Run another #10 wire ground from both batteries to another “forest of tabs” on the firewall. Split the panel ground paths between them consistent with how you are splitting the power distribution. The objective is to not allow a single failure point (the firewall ground lug) take down your entire panel.
<![if !supportLists]>3. <![endif]>Typically a single #14 ground wire is sufficient as a common ground for each wing. You may want to run another #14 ground to the pitot heat if it draws a lot of current. Ground these on the same firewall lug that you have the starter on (on the cabin side). You don’t need a forest of tabs in the wing, just solder pigtails onto the single #14 wire that go to each component. Do the same type of pigtail for all tail cone grounds.

Carl\

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Perry, Phil
Sent: Sunday, August 30, 2009 8:54 PM
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Grounding Questions

<![if !supportLists]>1) <![endif]>Run a line directly from the (-) Terminal of the battery forward to the firewall.
<![if !supportLists]>a. <![endif]>Attach this line to a “Forest of Tab” on the interior side of the firewall. Ground everything forward of the baggage compartment to this spot.
<![if !supportLists]>b. <![endif]>Jump through the firewall on the other side and ground all FWF items to the “Forest of Tab” on the FWF side.
<![if !supportLists]>c. <![endif]>I’ll also ground the crank case at this point too.
<![if !supportLists]>2) <![endif]>Run a line directly from the (-) Terminal of the battery to the left wing tip and install a Forest out there too…..
<![if !supportLists]>a. <![endif]>Install a similar setup for NAV, Strobe, Taxi/Landing, Pitot heat, Aileron Trim, Stall Warning, etc……
<![if !supportLists]>3) <![endif]>Run a line directly from the (-) Terminal of the battery to the right wing tip and install a Forest.
<![if !supportLists]>a. <![endif]>Repeat the left side setup of grounding on the wing items on the right side.
<![if !supportLists]>4) <![endif]>Run a line directly from the (-) Terminal of the battery to a “Forest of Tabs” located beside the battery box.
<![if !supportLists]>a. <![endif]>This is for the point for grounding all tailcone electronics. NAV, Rudder Trim Servo, Elevator Servo, and any other electronic devices that end up aft of the baggage compartment.

Thanks,
Phil

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

Phil.Perry(at)netapp.com

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:21 am    Post subject: Grounding Questions Reply with quote

I think I see what you’re saying Carl.

You’re basically suggesting that I ground everything to the forest of tabs behind the panel, but make a heavier run to each wingtip and ground to those. Basically a start topology… Right?

Phil

From: Carl Froehlich [mailto:carl.froehlich(at)verizon.net]
Sent: Sunday, August 30, 2009 9:09 PM
Subject: RE: Grounding Questions

Phil,

Some thoughts:
<![if !supportLists]>1. <![endif]> The only thing on the engine that needs a hefty ground is the starter. Run your ground wire from the same bolt that goes through the firewall to the nice ground lug on the starter (a number #4 wire works well). On the same starter ground lug do a jumper (like a ground strap or perhaps a piece of #6 wire) to the mounting bolts on the alternator. This way you have an excellent ground path for both the starter and the alternator.
<![if !supportLists]>2. <![endif]>I plan on two Odyssey PC625 batteries in my RV-10 (that is what I’m running in my 8A). These will be enable split bus operation in the event of a failure of one side or the other. If you plan on split power supplies, keep in mind a single ground wire that connect both battery grounds to a single point defeats the purpose of having redundant power supplies. Run a single common #2 or #4 wire that connects both battery grounds to the firewall bolt discussed above (this is the starter ground and half of the panel ground). Run another #10 wire ground from both batteries to another “forest of tabs” on the firewall. Split the panel ground paths between them consistent with how you are splitting the power distribution. The objective is to not allow a single failure point (the firewall ground lug) take down your entire panel.
<![if !supportLists]>3. <![endif]>Typically a single #14 ground wire is sufficient as a common ground for each wing. You may want to run another #14 ground to the pitot heat if it draws a lot of current. Ground these on the same firewall lug that you have the starter on (on the cabin side). You don’t need a forest of tabs in the wing, just solder pigtails onto the single #14 wire that go to each component. Do the same type of pigtail for all tail cone grounds.

Carl\

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Perry, Phil
Sent: Sunday, August 30, 2009 8:54 PM
Subject: Grounding Questions

Thanks,
Phil

Quote:
 http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List http://forums.matronics.com http://www.matronics.com/contribution
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

[quote][b]

flysrv10(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject: Grounding Questions Reply with quote

Have a dedicated ground for all your radio/gps equipment and ground
everything including the headset jacks back to this point. Make sure
that you use the washer with shoulder (comes with the jacks) to
isolate the headset jacks from the airframe ground.

On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 8:53 PM, Perry, Phil<Phil.Perry(at)netapp.com> wrote:
Quote:
I’m in the process of trying to layout my electrical system on paper and in
my head.

Probably the best place to start is with the grounding system.  I really
don’t like the idea of routing current through the airframe and would prefer
to ground everything back to a block.

1)      Run a line directly from the (-) Terminal of the battery forward to
the firewall.

a.       Attach this line to a “Forest of Tab”  on the interior side of the
firewall.  Ground everything forward of the baggage compartment to this
spot.

b.      Jump through the firewall on the other side and ground all FWF items
to the “Forest of Tab” on the FWF side.

c.       I’ll also ground the crank case at this point too.

2)      Run a line directly from the (-) Terminal of the battery to the left
wing tip and install a Forest out there too…..

a.       Install a similar setup for NAV, Strobe, Taxi/Landing, Pitot heat,
Aileron Trim, Stall Warning, etc……

3)      Run a line directly from the (-) Terminal of the battery to the
right wing tip and install a Forest.

a.       Repeat the left side setup of grounding on the wing items on the
right side.

4)      Run a line directly from the (-) Terminal of the battery  to a
“Forest of Tabs” located beside the battery box.

a.       This is for the point for grounding all tailcone electronics.  NAV,
Rudder Trim Servo, Elevator Servo, and any other electronic devices that end
up aft of the baggage compartment.

How have you designed your grounding system?  Grounding issues can be a pain
to chase down, so that’s the reason I’m really wanting to spend the time
designing a system that is pretty robust and easy to trace.

Thanks,

Phil

--
Rob Kermanj

Kellym

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:50 pm    Post subject: Grounding Questions Reply with quote

IIRC, Bob Nuckolls advocates only single point grounding for "sensitive"
electronics; that the heavy load stuff like starter, battery, landing
light, pitot heat are all fine being grounded through the aluminum
airframe. Running dedicated grounds for those devices just adds
complexity and weight for no discernible benefit. I doubt you will find
any TC aircraft with separate ground leads for the heavy loads. If you
still decide to go with separate ground leads for lighting and pitot
heat, they would benefit from twisting with the hot lead to reduce
magnetic influences on your compass, remote or otherwise.

Rob Kermanj wrote:
Quote:

Have a dedicated ground for all your radio/gps equipment and ground
everything including the headset jacks back to this point. Make sure
that you use the washer with shoulder (comes with the jacks) to
isolate the headset jacks from the airframe ground.

On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 8:53 PM, Perry, Phil<Phil.Perry(at)netapp.com> wrote:
> I’m in the process of trying to layout my electrical system on paper and in
> my head.
>
> Probably the best place to start is with the grounding system. I really
> don’t like the idea of routing current through the airframe and would prefer
> to ground everything back to a block.
>
> Here is where I think I’m headed.
>
> 1) Run a line directly from the (-) Terminal of the battery forward to
> the firewall.
>
> a. Attach this line to a “Forest of Tab” on the interior side of the
> firewall. Ground everything forward of the baggage compartment to this
> spot.
>
> b. Jump through the firewall on the other side and ground all FWF items
> to the “Forest of Tab” on the FWF side.
>
> c. I’ll also ground the crank case at this point too.
>
> 2) Run a line directly from the (-) Terminal of the battery to the left
> wing tip and install a Forest out there too…..
>
> a. Install a similar setup for NAV, Strobe, Taxi/Landing, Pitot heat,
> Aileron Trim, Stall Warning, etc……
>
> 3) Run a line directly from the (-) Terminal of the battery to the
> right wing tip and install a Forest.
>
> a. Repeat the left side setup of grounding on the wing items on the
> right side.
>
> 4) Run a line directly from the (-) Terminal of the battery to a
> “Forest of Tabs” located beside the battery box.
>
> a. This is for the point for grounding all tailcone electronics. NAV,
> Rudder Trim Servo, Elevator Servo, and any other electronic devices that end
> up aft of the baggage compartment.
>
> How have you designed your grounding system? Grounding issues can be a pain
> to chase down, so that’s the reason I’m really wanting to spend the time
> designing a system that is pretty robust and easy to trace.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Phil
>

drfred(at)suddenlinkmail.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:47 pm    Post subject: Grounding Questions Reply with quote

Bout 3-4 years ago I heard one of the electronic gurus speak at Osh. At
that lecture he did recommend couple grounds from the engine to the
airframe. He has several stories of hard starting engines with
inadequate grounds. I don't remember him saying that you had to run a
separate ground back for all the other devices (again complexity/vs wt
savings). In trying to get adequate starter power for my engine, I
have run a separate ground from the starter back to a common post on the
firewall. The post then has a number 4 wire back to the battery. I
switched out my skytec starter for a B&C starter and I think I have
solved my starter problems. I'd recommend that if you have a higher
compression engine you consider starting out with a B&C starter.

Dr Fred.

Kelly McMullen wrote:
Quote:

IIRC, Bob Nuckolls advocates only single point grounding for
"sensitive" electronics; that the heavy load stuff like starter,
battery, landing light, pitot heat are all fine being grounded through
the aluminum airframe. Running dedicated grounds for those devices
just adds complexity and weight for no discernible benefit. I doubt
you will find any TC aircraft with separate ground leads for the heavy
loads. If you still decide to go with separate ground leads for
lighting and pitot heat, they would benefit from twisting with the hot
lead to reduce magnetic influences on your compass, remote or otherwise.

Rob Kermanj wrote:
>
>
> Have a dedicated ground for all your radio/gps equipment and ground
> everything including the headset jacks back to this point. Make sure
> that you use the washer with shoulder (comes with the jacks) to
> isolate the headset jacks from the airframe ground.
>
> On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 8:53 PM, Perry, Phil<Phil.Perry(at)netapp.com>
> wrote:
>> I’m in the process of trying to layout my electrical system on paper
>> and in
>> my head.
>>
>>
>>
>> Probably the best place to start is with the grounding system. I
>> really
>> don’t like the idea of routing current through the airframe and
>> would prefer
>> to ground everything back to a block.
>>
>>
>>
>> Here is where I think I’m headed.
>>
>>
>>
>> 1) Run a line directly from the (-) Terminal of the battery
>> forward to
>> the firewall.
>>
>> a. Attach this line to a “Forest of Tab” on the interior side
>> of the
>> firewall. Ground everything forward of the baggage compartment to this
>> spot.
>>
>> b. Jump through the firewall on the other side and ground all
>> FWF items
>> to the “Forest of Tab” on the FWF side.
>>
>> c. I’ll also ground the crank case at this point too.
>>
>> 2) Run a line directly from the (-) Terminal of the battery to
>> the left
>> wing tip and install a Forest out there too…..
>>
>> a. Install a similar setup for NAV, Strobe, Taxi/Landing,
>> Pitot heat,
>> Aileron Trim, Stall Warning, etc……
>>
>> 3) Run a line directly from the (-) Terminal of the battery to the
>> right wing tip and install a Forest.
>>
>> a. Repeat the left side setup of grounding on the wing items
>> on the
>> right side.
>>
>> 4) Run a line directly from the (-) Terminal of the battery to a
>> “Forest of Tabs” located beside the battery box.
>>
>> a. This is for the point for grounding all tailcone
>> electronics. NAV,
>> Rudder Trim Servo, Elevator Servo, and any other electronic devices
>> that end
>> up aft of the baggage compartment.
>>
>>
>>
>> How have you designed your grounding system? Grounding issues can
>> be a pain
>> to chase down, so that’s the reason I’m really wanting to spend the
>> time
>> designing a system that is pretty robust and easy to trace.
>>
>>
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Phil
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>

Phil.Perry(at)netapp.com

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:55 am    Post subject: Grounding Questions Reply with quote

I'm not sure that's right Kelly.. Of course I have a hard time
following much of what Mr. Nuckolls has to say in his book. He's so
damn verbose and wants to share so much history that it's really hard to
follow his thought process. Smile I wish he would write another book
called "Just the Facts" and leave the other 85% of the history, stories,
and unnecessary content out. But at least there is some good
information in there in the diagrams and in general. You just have to
get to it.

But that's just me....

So back to the topic...

On page 5-4 paragraph #2, he tells a story of when they used to own an
airport. A mechanic was reinstalling an engine that was overhauled. In
the process of connecting grounds, he didn't connect the ground strap
between the crankcase and the firewall.

When they tried to start the engine they only had smoke. Come to find
out the current tried to find a path back to the battery via throttle,
mixture, and p-lead shielding.

So it sounds like he is advocating a ground from the crankcase to the
airframe. But then in the next sentence, he says "Grounding the
crankcase to the battery directly eliminates this possibility."

He suggests grounding the crankcase with a heavy braid to the bolt
holding the Forest of Tabs on the firewall. Then from the Tabs to the
battery.

So it's open to your interpretation I guess.

I think I'm going to run a heavy ground from the battery to the tabs at
the panel. Then from the tabs, I'll run a ground wire to each wing tip
and one to the tail. FWF, I'm going to jump through the firewall (from
the tabs) and run a strap to the starter. Then a jumper from the
starter to the alternator.
Phil

--

rv10builder(at)bellsouth.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:12 am    Post subject: Grounding Questions Reply with quote

Phil,

For FWF a single braided connection from the rear of the engine block to a
forest of tabs on the firewall is more than sufficient (pic attached). You
would only be adding unnecessary weight with a ground connection all the way
up the starter and alternator.

Brian
N104BS (160 hours)
--

island_of_tabs.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  223.89 KB
 Viewed:  3617 Time(s)

island_of_tabs.JPG

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:23 am    Post subject: Grounding Questions Reply with quote

Phil,

Brian
N104BS (160 hours)
--

island_of_tabs.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  223.89 KB

island_of_tabs.JPG

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:23 am    Post subject: Grounding Questions Reply with quote

Phil,

Brian
N104BS (160 hours)
--

island_of_tabs.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  35.07 KB

island_of_tabs.JPG

pitts_pilot(at)bellsouth.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:24 pm    Post subject: Grounding Questions Reply with quote

Here's my take: A heavy ground from the battery to the firewall, and
from the firewall to the engine case eliminates any grounding issues
down the road. I have seen corrosion caused by electrolysis in aluminum
structures .... typically where the rivets or screws are ... from
currents in the ground. I have also seen the braided ground straps
deteriorate from vibration and electrolysis ..... but it did take a long
time. In the scheme of things, the additional ground weight is minimal,
and the absence of grounding problems in the future outweighs the weight
penalty. The 'airframe ground' problems show up when your battery is
old on a cold morning and you need to depart quickly. It is true that
most factory built aircraft use the airframe as ground ..... but the
battery is usually hanging on the firewall, not stuck back behind the
baggage compartment like RV-10s and Cherokees. I'm running both power
and ground from the battery to bulkhead feedthroughs from Waytek, and a
short cable from there to the engine case (ground) and to the starter
(power) through the start solenoid. There will be a heavy cable (but
smaller than the above power/ground) to the subpanel where everything is
connected on terminal strips. Both power and ground. Nav lights will
use airframe ground. Electronics in the tail will have power and ground
fed from the sub-panel terminal strips.
Linn

Brian wrote:
Quote:
Phil,

Brian
N104BS (160 hours)

Phil.Perry(at)netapp.com

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:25 pm    Post subject: Grounding Questions Reply with quote

Thanks Brian...

What did you run from the battery to cabin-side of the firewall?

Also, do you have all of your grounds coming back to the tabs?
AKA: Wingtips and Tailcone too.

Thanks!

--

jeff(at)westcottpress.com

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:20 pm    Post subject: Grounding Questions Reply with quote

another thought...

There is a longeron that runs up the right side of the plane... from the aft side of the baggage compartment to the firewall. My plan is to run a ground strap from the battery to the aft end of that...
Jeff Carpenter
Routing out my left window >:

On Aug 30, 2009, at 5:53 PM, Perry, Phil wrote:
Quote:

1) Run a line directly from the (-) Terminal of the battery forward to the firewall.
a. Attach this line to a “Forest of Tab” on the interior side of the firewall. Ground everything forward of the baggage compartment to this spot.
b. Jump through the firewall on the other side and ground all FWF items to the “Forest of Tab” on the FWF side.
2) Run a line directly from the (-) Terminal of the battery to the left wing tip and install a Forest out there too…..
a. Install a similar setup for NAV, Strobe, Taxi/Landing, Pitot heat, Aileron Trim, Stall Warning, etc……
3) Run a line directly from the (-) Terminal of the battery to the right wing tip and install a Forest.
a. Repeat the left side setup of grounding on the wing items on the right side.
4) Run a line directly from the (-) Terminal of the battery to a “Forest of Tabs” located beside the battery box.
a. This is for the point for grounding all tailcone electronics. NAV, Rudder Trim Servo, Elevator Servo, and any other electronic devices that end up aft of the baggage compartment.

Thanks,
Phil

Quote:

style="color: blue; text-decoration: underline; ">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
blue; text-decoration: underline; ">http://forums.matronics.com
style="color: blue; text-decoration: underline; ">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[quote][b]

Kellym

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:20 pm    Post subject: Grounding Questions Reply with quote

Every Mooney of more than 180hp has the battery(s)behind the baggage
compartment, and uses local airframe grounds. Some Cessnas also have
battery in back and use local grounds. As well as the mentioned Pipers.
Never have seen any corrosion anywhere but the actual cable connections,
which should be inspected annually. Pipers had problems with aluminum
battery cables on positive side of circuit.

Linn Walters wrote:
Quote:

Here's my take: A heavy ground from the battery to the firewall, and
from the firewall to the engine case eliminates any grounding issues
down the road. I have seen corrosion caused by electrolysis in aluminum
structures .... typically where the rivets or screws are ... from
currents in the ground. I have also seen the braided ground straps
deteriorate from vibration and electrolysis ..... but it did take a long
time. In the scheme of things, the additional ground weight is minimal,
and the absence of grounding problems in the future outweighs the weight
penalty. The 'airframe ground' problems show up when your battery is
old on a cold morning and you need to depart quickly. It is true that
most factory built aircraft use the airframe as ground ..... but the
battery is usually hanging on the firewall, not stuck back behind the
baggage compartment like RV-10s and Cherokees. I'm running both power
and ground from the battery to bulkhead feedthroughs from Waytek, and a
short cable from there to the engine case (ground) and to the starter
(power) through the start solenoid. There will be a heavy cable (but
smaller than the above power/ground) to the subpanel where everything is
connected on terminal strips. Both power and ground. Nav lights will
use airframe ground. Electronics in the tail will have power and ground
fed from the sub-panel terminal strips.
Linn

Brian wrote:
> Phil,
>
> For FWF a single braided connection from the rear of the engine block
> to a
> forest of tabs on the firewall is more than sufficient (pic
> attached). You
> would only be adding unnecessary weight with a ground connection all
> the way
> up the starter and alternator.
>
> Brian
> N104BS (160 hours)

Kellym

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Grounding Questions Reply with quote

Phil,
There are two issues. Yes, the engine needs a very stout ground cable to
the firewall, because the engine mounts make a poor grounding path. No,
you don't need a ground cable from your firewall ground point to the
battery. The airframe will serve very well. Just for example, my Mooney
has a braided ground from the engine crankcase to the firewall...no
forest of tabs, just a single bolt and washer connection at firewall.
ALL grounds are to the airframe. Not as good as the single point of
grounding for electronics. But more than sufficient for all your
lighting and your starter. My battery is behind baggage compartment,
just like RV-10. Ground is to an airframe rib with bolt and washer.
Carries all 300 amps or so during starting, with very little resistance.
Virtually all certificated metal skinned aircraft do the same, because
it works, is lightweight and maintenance free. Including the Piper
Cherokee he mentions reducing battery size. Other than that mention,
none of his verbiage really addresses the rear mount battery in a metal
airframe. He mostly talks about batteries on the firewall and composite
aircraft. Yes, you would run a cable from battery to firewall if it is
only 18". The subject has come up on his email list.
But you are free to install the extra heavy #4 cable all the way back to
your battery if you want. Just money, weight and space.

A quote from Bob on his email list a couple years ago:
">1) For each battery (minus) it's shown to connect locally to the
>airframe. Providing that good, secure connections with 4AWG (or welding
>cable) are done locally, does this negate the need to run heavy (2AWG or
>4AWG) ground cabling forward?

Yes.

>2) Relates to question 1. If it's necessary to run ground cabling
>forward, is it acceptable/reasonable to instead: a) Connect the battery
>minus posts with a single, short welding cable, and b) Connect another
>single short welding cable for local ground, and c) continue with a
single
>large (2AWG or 4AWG) cable forward to connect to the Brass Firewall Thru
>Bolt for the Firewall, Panel and downstream Avionics ground busses?
(This
>seems overdone, redundant and heavy to me, but I just want to be sure I
>haven't missed something here)

There's a boatload of ol' mechanic's tales out there about
the hazards of local grounds in aircraft. Aside from the obvious
and predictable issues involving ground loops (when particularly
vulnerable systems share grounds spread out over the airframe),
there are no great concerns for using the airframe as a primary
ground structure. There's some value in considering the used of
a separate ground wire for tubular structures where we've see
some instances of structure getting magnetized due to high current
flow . . . but that doesn't apply to you."
Perry, Phil wrote:
[quote]

I'm not sure that's right Kelly.. Of course I have a hard time
following much of what Mr. Nuckolls has to say in his book. He's so
damn verbose and wants to share so much history that it's really hard to
follow his thought process. Smile I wish he would write another book
called "Just the Facts" and leave the other 85% of the history, stories,
and unnecessary content out. But at least there is some good
information in there in the diagrams and in general. You just have to
get to it.

But that's just me....

So back to the topic...

On page 5-4 paragraph #2, he tells a story of when they used to own an
airport. A mechanic was reinstalling an engine that was overhauled. In
the process of connecting grounds, he didn't connect the ground strap
between the crankcase and the firewall.

When they tried to start the engine they only had smoke. Come to find
out the current tried to find a path back to the battery via throttle,
mixture, and p-lead shielding.

So it sounds like he is advocating a ground from the crankcase to the
airframe. But then in the next sentence, he says "Grounding the
crankcase to the battery directly eliminates this possibility."

He suggests grounding the crankcase with a heavy braid to the bolt
holding the Forest of Tabs on the firewall. Then from the Tabs to the
battery.

So it's open to your interpretation I guess.

I think I'm going to run a heavy ground from the battery to the tabs at
the panel. Then from the tabs, I'll run a ground wire to each wing tip
and one to the tail. FWF, I'm going to jump through the firewall (from
the tabs) and run a strap to the starter. Then a jumper from the
starter to the alternator.

Phil

--

msausen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:39 pm    Post subject: Grounding Questions Reply with quote

I chose to run a #2 cable up to the firewall, same as the positive. I'm running it though the firewall with a piece of 3/8ths all thread rod so it is acting as the single point ground for my panel, airframe, and engine. I'll still ground non sensitive equipment like Nav lights at the source and I also have a battery bus back by the batteries and anything there can ground right to the battery.

Michael

--

ricksked(at)embarqmail.co

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:45 pm    Post subject: Grounding Questions Reply with quote

Guys/Gals,

I local grounded the battery's at the aft bulkhead...Ran independent grounds for EVERYTHING to the tree at the firewall (no G loops by running independent grounds) where the engine is grounded to the tree by the same size ( #2 welding lead) cable use to deliver power to the starter. It works fine, don't mind f#*k this.......it has worked this way on aircraft for years....and years....I only local grounded the position lights...From my "flying" experience there is no reason to run a #2 ground wire up front....

YMMV....and just the normal 2 cents......

Rick Sked
N246RS
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

--

Dick Sipp

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:51 pm    Post subject: Grounding Questions Reply with quote

I did just that Jeff. Seems to be working great.

Dick Sipp
N110DV
[quote] ---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: