Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frank.goodnight(at)att.ne

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:41 am    Post subject: GPS question Reply with quote

I have a Garmin GPS map 96 it does everything i need it to do , BUT
the grey screen is very hard for my old eyes to use. I'm thinking
about selling it and up gradeing to either a 96 color or a 196. I have
not looked at
either one up close . Can anyone advise me if the 196 color is worth
the extra money over the 196 greyscreen ?(ease of viewing) , Or even
if the 196 is a big improvement over the 96.
Frank Goodnight
Firestar2
HKS

P.S. Yesterday I took my first x country over 250 miles. Pretty windy
some legs 35 mph ground speed. Long hard day , but left me with a all
around good feeling at the end.

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Arty Trost

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:29 am    Post subject: GPS question Reply with quote

I used a Anywhere Travel Companion to fly cross country and just love it! Full color, shows all private as well as public use airports, easy to use - and much less expensive than any other GPS I've seen. PLUS - it has a full automobile data base as well, so when Norm and I take a road trip, I just take it out of my plane and put it into the car.

Arty Trost
Sandy, Oregon

www.LessonsFromTheEdge.com/uladventure2009.htm

"Life's a daring adventure or nothing"
Helen Keller

"I refuse to tip toe through life just to arrive safely at death."

--- On Tue, 9/15/09, frank.goodnight <frank.goodnight(at)att.net> wrote:

Quote:

Subject: GPS question
To: Kolb-List(at)matronics.com
Date: Tuesday, September 15, 2009, 9:40 AM

--> Kolb-List message posted by: "frank.goodnight" <frank.goodnight(at)att.net (frank.goodnight(at)att.net)>

I have a Garmin GPS map 96 it does everything i need it to do , BUT the grey screen is very hard for my old eyes to use. I'm thinking about selling it and up gradeing to either a 96 color or a 196. I have not looked at
either one up close . Can anyone advise me if the 196 color is worth the extra money over the 196 greyscreen ?(ease of viewing) , Or even if the 196 is a big improvement over the 96.
Frank Goodnight
Firestar2
HKS

P.S. Yesterday I took my first x country over 250 miles. Pretty windy some legs 35 mph ground speed. Long hard day ,r?Kolb-List" target=_blank>http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-Listhttp://www.matronics.com/contr================

[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

JetPilot

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: GPS question Reply with quote

I have the 196 and it is awesome ! You can get them very cheaply off ebay, and configure the number to be large if you want. The color version 296 is great, but you just need to decide weather it is worth the extra money or not.

I have seen some of the other units that use PDA's, etc, they have some neat features, but many times are a pain in the ass to use, or are prone do failures, lockups, and require to much attention to turn on and keep running. What I like about the Garmin units is that you turn them on and forget about them. They are made for aviation, no hassles, no constant configuring, no screwing around, you just turn them on and they just work well with very little or no pilot action required.

Mike

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S
John Hauck

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:42 am    Post subject: GPS question Reply with quote

I'm thinking
Quote:
about selling it and up gradeing to either a 96 color or a 196. I have
not looked at
either one up close . Can anyone advise me if the 196 color is worth the
extra money over the 196 greyscreen ?(ease of viewing) , Or even if the
196 is a big improvement over the 96.
Frank Goodnight

Frank G/Gang:

I have been flying with a Garmin 196 for some time. It is grey scale. Did
not know they made a color 196. I do believe the 296 has color screen.

I have no problem with seeing the image on my 196.

The contrast can be adjusted to help clear up your picture.

I have a 60cx color map I use on the ATV. It does work great in direct sun
light. In fact, better than in some lighting conditions. It does not have
the Jeppesen data base.

john h
mkIII
Rock House, Oregon

Titus, Alabama
frank.goodnight(at)att.ne

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:22 am    Post subject: GPS question Reply with quote

John , You are right about no 196 color and the 296 color . I am still
interested in knowing if the
296 is worth the difference in price over the 196. My wife tells me
that I don't have money to waste buying the wrong unit again-ref the
96- if anyone has used both the 196 & the 296
please let me know what you think.
I hope you guys will think this is Kolb related because the GPS is to
be used in my firestar.

Frank Goodnight
Quote:

I'm thinking
> about selling it and up gradeing to either a 96 color or a 196. I
> have not looked at
> either one up close . Can anyone advise me if the 196 color is
> worth the extra money over the 196 greyscreen ?(ease of viewing) ,
> Or even if the 196 is a big improvement over the 96.
> Frank Goodnight

Frank G/Gang:

I have been flying with a Garmin 196 for some time. It is grey
scale. Did not know they made a color 196. I do believe the 296
has color screen.

I have a 60cx color map I use on the ATV. It does work great in
direct sun light. In fact, better than in some lighting
conditions. It does not have the Jeppesen data base.

john h
mkIII
Rock House, Oregon

mdnanwelch7(at)hotmail.co

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:42 am    Post subject: GPS question Reply with quote

Frank C

My GPS choices are similar to yours(Garmin).  I had (still have C but it is valueless) a Garmin 95XL.  I thought it was great C but eventually the new GPSs came out C and I decided to get a 296.

I HIGHLY(!!!) recommend the 296.  The color screen is a very nice feature.  Plus C there are a ton of other extras that the old 95Xl/96 don't have. 

In a nutshell C I can assure you if you got a 296 C you'd wonder why you waited so long.  It is a huge improvement over the older models!

One more thing.  Not to desparage the other brands of GPS C I realize there are several.  My experience is only with Garmin.  Many of the newer C large color screen GPS's would also be a great choice.

To make an easy analogy....what you have is a black and white Victrola.  A color screen (and nwer) GPS is like when you bought your first color TV C with a handheld remote control.  Was it worth it??

Mike Welch
MkIII CX

[quote] From: frank.goodnight(at)att.net
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: GPS question
Date: Tue C 15 Sep 2009 13:22:06 -0500

--> Kolb-List message posted by: "frank.goodnight" <frank.goodnight(at)att.net>

John C You are right about no 196 color and the 296 color . I am still
interested in knowing if the
296 is worth the difference in price over the 196. My wife tells me
that I don't have money to waste buying the wrong unit again-ref the
96- if anyone has used both the 196 & the 296
I hope you guys will think this is Kolb related because the GPS is to
be used in my firestar.

Frank Goodnight

> --> Kolb-List message posted by: "John Hauck" <jhauck(at)elmore.rr.com>
>
>
> I'm thinking
>> about selling it and up gradeing to either a 96 color or a 196. I
>> have not looked at
>> either one up close . Can anyone advise me if the 196 color is
>> worth the extra money over the 196 greyscreen ?(ease of viewing) C
>> Or even if the 196 is a big improvement over the 96.
>> Frank Goodnight
>
>
>
> Frank G/Gang:
>
> I have been flying with a Garmin 196 for some time. It is grey
> scale. Did not know they made a color 196. I do believe the 296
> has color screen.
>
> I have no problem with seeing the image on my 196.
>
> The contrast can be adjusted to help clear up your picture.
>
> I have a 60cx color map I use on the ATV. It does work great in
> direct sun light. In fact C better than in some lighting
> conditions. It does not have the Jeppesen data base.
>
> john h
> mkIII
> Rock House C Oregon
>
>
>
>
>
&gt============

Ready for Fall shows? Use Bing to find helpful ratings and reviews on digital tv's. Click here.
Quote:
[b]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:43 am    Post subject: GPS question Reply with quote

Frank C

One more significant point to remember.  Garmin no longer make programming updates for the older units.  They quit updating the 95XL about three years ago C hence my decision to go ahead and get a 296.
  Undoubtedly C they will not be updating the 196 for much longer.  For you guys with 196's C don't argue with me C it's just a fact!  Take it up with Garmin.  They don't want you to hang on
to the older models forever.

Mike Welch
Do not archive
Bing brings you health info from trusted sources. Try it now! [quote][b]

aslsa.rng(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject: GPS question Reply with quote

Frank, You might want to take a look at the Lowrance 2000c. Hard to beat for the money. Big screen, color, good features, easy to work with. I've had mine for 3 years now with no problems. One tip though, power it from the plane, it's a battery hog from the internal 4 AA's. Power cord comes with it and it runs on anything from 10 to 30 volts. I don't own any stock, just a satisfied user.

Rick Girard
do not archive

On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 1:22 PM, frank.goodnight <frank.goodnight(at)att.net (frank.goodnight(at)att.net)> wrote:
[quote]--> Kolb-List message posted by: "frank.goodnight" <frank.goodnight(at)att.net (frank.goodnight(at)att.net)>

John , You are right about no 196 color and the 296 color . I am still interested in knowing if the
296 is worth the difference in price over the 196. My wife tells me that I don't have money to waste buying the wrong unit again-ref the 96- if anyone has used both the 196 & the 296
I hope you guys will think this is Kolb related because the GPS is to be used in my firestar.

Frank Goodnight

Quote:
--> Kolb-List message posted by: "John Hauck" <jhauck(at)elmore.rr.com (jhauck(at)elmore.rr.com)>

I'm thinking
Quote:
about selling it and up gradeing to either a 96 color or a 196. I have not looked at
either one up close . Can anyone advise me if the 196 color is worth  the extra money over the 196 greyscreen ?(ease of viewing) , Or even  if the 196 is a big improvement over the 96.
Frank Goodnight

Frank G/Gang:

I have been flying with a Garmin 196 for some time.  It is grey scale.  Did not know they made a color 196.  I do believe the 296 has color screen.

I have a 60cx color map I use on the ATV.  It does work great in direct sun light.  In fact, better than in some lighting conditions.  It does not have the Jeppesen data base.

john h
mkIII
Rock House, Oregon

===========
arget="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
===========
http://forums.matronics.com
===========
le, List Admin.
="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========

[b]

Watkinsdw

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS question Reply with quote

Hi, Guys,
I have a Garmin 196 and it's worked well for me for years. I've been tempted to upgrade to the color 296, but it is reputed to eat batteries to power that nice display. Now in my Kolb, I've got it wired to the ship's battery, so power is no longer a problem.
What I'd like to gain, is better depiction of airspace. My 196 just gives little dotted lines for Class D. I can't remember for sure, but the Class C might be solid lines. With all the rest of the clutter it would be nice if the airspace were depicted more distinctly like in a special color, since in S. Florida, there's a LOT of airspace to avoid.
Can anyone tell me if the 296 addresses this issue?
Dave

Possums

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:13 pm    Post subject: GPS question Reply with quote

At 04:36 PM 9/16/2009, you wrote:
Quote:

Hi, Guys,
I have a Garmin 196 and it's worked well for me for years. I've been
tempted to upgrade to the color 296, but it is reputed to eat
batteries to power that nice display. Now in my Kolb, I've got it
wired to the ship's battery, so power is no longer a problem.
What I'd like to gain, is better depiction of airspace. My 196 just
gives little dotted lines for Class D. I can't remember for sure,
but the Class C might be solid lines. With all the rest of the
clutter it would be nice if the airspace were depicted more
distinctly like in a special color, since in S. Florida, there's a
LOT of airspace to avoid.
Dave

Check it out

http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/GPSMAP296_PilotsGuide.pdf

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:38 pm    Post subject: GPS question Reply with quote

Dave C

I highly recommend you visit the Garmin website C and view their "features" that they have for the 296.

I copied and pasted the following typical screen sample for you.  Yes C the view looks just like their sample.

The Garmin 296 has the Jeppesen data base for it's navigation basemaps.

Check out the following:
http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/site/us/support/searchsupport?search_key=GPSMAP 296

Here is the sample screen view:

Btw C I have a great way to keep from worrying about using up your batteries.  Send me an email C and I'll let you knoiw.

Mike Welch
MkIII CX

[quote] Subject: Re: GPS question
Date: Wed C 16 Sep 2009 13:36:43 -0700
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com

--> Kolb-List message posted by: "Watkinsdw" <david.watkins0(at)gmail.com>

Hi C Guys C
I have a Garmin 196 and it's worked well for me for years. I've been tempted to upgrade to the color 296 C but it is reputed to eat batteries to power that nice display. Now in my Kolb C I've got it wired to the ship's battery C so power is no longer a problem.
What I'd like to gain C is better depiction of airspace. My 196 just gives little dotted lines for Class D. I can't remember for sure C but the Class C might be solid lines. With all the rest of the clutter it would be nice if the airspace were depicted more distinctly like in a special color C since in S. Florida C there's a LOT of airspace to avoid.
Dave

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=263382#263382

> _===============

Bing brings you health info from trusted sources. Try it now!
Quote:
[b]

elleryweld(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject: GPS question Reply with quote

I use the 295 and there is a Green ring around the airspace and when you move your cursor inside it it will pop up a label telling you what the evevations are for that particular airspace

Ellery in MAINE getting ready for some cool fall flying

--

Watkinsdw

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: GPS question Reply with quote

Thanks, Guys.
I knew I could count on a lively discussion of the pros and cons of the upgrade. (Please don't get on each other's case on my account.) I went the the Garmin website and the screen shots show airspace (Class D, C and B) depicted in blue. That's a little easier to pick out than the grey and black lines on my 196. I'd like it even better if it would be user-configur-able to make those lines bright red. (it sounds like if you put the curser on it, the color might change, and that could help.) Need to get my hands on a 296 and play with it...

I like to fly with as much stuff on the screen as I can get, and that's probably part of the problem. The 196 lets you select features to enable/disable on the map to manage the clutter. (You can also press "Enter" to declutter..) Can't have it both ways, (as my wife reminds me all the time,) but I keep trying!

I think I'll check ebay. If so, I might have a great 196 to offer here for sale...

That said, we all know, the most important picture to focus on is what's outside that great lexan bubble we call a cockpit.

Dave

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: