Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yak 52/55/18T Shutters & Ring

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
byronmfox(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:40 pm    Post subject: Yak 52/55/18T Shutters & Ring Reply with quote

For our M14P conversion, we're hunting for Yak 52,55 or 18T shutters
and ring. Please contact me off-line. Thanks, Blitz

415-307-2405

Sent from my iPhone

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
cjpilot710(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:10 pm    Post subject: Yak 52/55/18T Shutters & Ring Reply with quote

In a message dated 9/15/2009 11:40:53 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, byronmfox(at)gmail.com writes:

Me too! !

My system's is worn out. I need the two rings that rotate the fins. The fins are fine and the outside ring is good too. But two inter rings are bad.

I am trying to have them tig welded to build up metal in the worn out areas. I'll than grain and re-drill them back to specks. But if there is some parts out,

I'm open off the list.

Jim "Pappy" Goolsby

Quote:
--> Yak-List message posted by: Byron Fox <byronmfox(at)gmail.com>

For our M14P conversion, we're hunting for Yak 52,55 or 18T shutters
and ring. Please contact me off-line. Thanks, Blitz

415-307-2405

Sent from my iPhone

[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

mark.bitterlich(at)navy.m

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:44 am    Post subject: Yak 52/55/18T Shutters & Ring Reply with quote

Ever think of just running without them?

Mark Bitterlich

P.s. Hope this does not open a bag of worms, but it is a do-able thing
unless you live in extremely cold weather.

--

byronmfox(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:10 pm    Post subject: Yak 52/55/18T Shutters & Ring Reply with quote

I have considered running without shutters, Mark. Dennis Savarese made the same suggestion based on experience he's had. I've asked LA-based Ron Lee how often he flies with his shutters closed on his M14P converted CJ. "Often," was the response.

From June - Sept. in the San Francisco Bay Area , we're flying in +/- 80 degree weather. Thereafter, it's 50s and 60s, and rarely in the low 40s. So, I'm pondering doing without.

I wonder if anyone's considered some sort of bolt on baffling for cold weather, like the folks who partial cover their oil cooler intakes during the winter.
...Blitz

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 12:35 PM, Bitterlich, Mark G CIV Det Cherry Point, MALS-14 64E <mark.bitterlich(at)navy.mil (mark.bitterlich(at)navy.mil)> wrote:
[quote]--> Yak-List message posted by: "Bitterlich, Mark G CIV Det Cherry Point, MALS-14 64E" <mark.bitterlich(at)navy.mil (mark.bitterlich(at)navy.mil)>

Ever think of just running without them?

Mark Bitterlich

P.s.  Hope this does not open a bag of worms, but it is a do-able thing
unless you live in extremely cold weather.

--

kingcj6(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:49 pm    Post subject: Yak 52/55/18T Shutters & Ring Reply with quote

I have an old ski parka that you could tie-strap in. For you, I'll let it go at a substantial discount!

--

dsavarese0812(at)bellsout

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:52 pm    Post subject: Yak 52/55/18T Shutters & Ring Reply with quote

Byron, what prop will you be running on the M14? If a Russian V530, will you be installing a Yak18T spinner?
Dennis

[quote] ---

byronmfox(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject: Yak 52/55/18T Shutters & Ring Reply with quote

We'll be running MT's erection-inducing FW 190 replica, Dennis. As my testosterone level declines, I must do something..... 

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 2:19 PM, A. Dennis Savarese <dsavarese0812(at)bellsouth.net (dsavarese0812(at)bellsouth.net)> wrote:
[quote] Byron, what prop will you be running on the M14?  If a Russian V530, will you be installing a Yak18T spinner?
Dennis

[quote] ---

wise(at)txc.net.au

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:47 pm    Post subject: Yak 52/55/18T Shutters & Ring Reply with quote

G'Day All,

We operate a 18T Adelaide South Australia.
Same story, the rings and shutters where not so nice. Considering that we do not have the cold Russian Temps we removed them, as did our LAME with his 18.
Takes a little bit longer to warm up in the winter before flying, other than that, no problems. Have on occasion closed the oil cooler to warm-up faster, not a great deal of dif.
Consider that most other radial engines do not have shutters. i.e.. just about all the aircraft with P&W.

So I think that if you are operating in really cold temps, I would run shutters.

Cheers,
Chris.
[quote] ---

cjpilot710(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:49 pm    Post subject: Yak 52/55/18T Shutters & Ring Reply with quote

I am trying to find the two rings that position the shutters.

I could run the engine without them and at these Florida temps and doing acro they would not be missed at all. However this engine will get too cool during descents from a x county flight at altitude. That is not good for any engine. I try to keep an even temp (160C of the gage) during cruise and when I start down I do close the shutters a little so as not to drop into the red. It does not take much.

On the big PW and Wrights, we are very religious about cowl flaps operation. Cracked cylinders from to quick a cool down during descent, is expensive on those engines. And I guarantee you they will crack.

Than again some engines can take rapid changes in temps, and the M-14 may very be one of those. However I've always tried to avoid that.

If anyone out has shutter parts, I am interested.

Jim "Pappy" Goolsby
[quote][b]

valleyauto(at)clearwire.n

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:15 am    Post subject: Yak 52/55/18T Shutters & Ring Reply with quote

You might try Culps Specialties.
[quote] ---

dougsappllc(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:49 am    Post subject: Yak 52/55/18T Shutters & Ring Reply with quote

Guys,If you flying a CJ with the 285 engine, I have 100% of the parts to either build a set from scratch or overhaul the CJ gill shutters. 
However if your flying a CJ with a M14P engine the INNER center ring which bolts to the nose case has a different bolt pattern than the 285 hp ring so it is not interchangeable.  However, the other center ring (the OUTER one) is the same and can be used in both the 360 hp and the 285 hp gill systems.  

I have them in stock, factory new, order p/n H2-6341-05, Ring, Shutter, outer center  price is $100.00 each.
Please contact me off line.
Always Yakin,
Doug Sapp
509-826-4610

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 8:01 AM, Don Milbourn <valleyauto(at)clearwire.net (valleyauto(at)clearwire.net)> wrote:
[quote] You might try Culps Specialties.
[quote] ---

billlang(at)live.com.au

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:28 pm    Post subject: Yak 52/55/18T Shutters & Ring Reply with quote

GDay

Have a 52 that requires a complete gill set. Anyone in Australia have a set that they would part with? Looking for a spinner C and gill control cable also..

Cheers

Bill

To: yak-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Yak-List: Yak 52/55/18T Shutters & Ring
Date: Thu C 17 Sep 2009 08:01:01 +0930

G'Day All C 

We operate a 18T Adelaide South Australia.
Same story C the rings and shutters where not so nice. Considering that we do not have the cold Russian Temps we removed them C as did our LAME with his 18.
Takes a little bit longer to warm up in the winter before flying C other than that C no problems. Have on occasion closed the oil cooler to warm-up faster C not a great deal of dif.
Consider that most other radial engines do not have shutters. i.e.. just about all the aircraft with P&W.

So I think that if you are operating in really cold temps C I would run shutters.

Cheers C
Chris.
[quote] ---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: