Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mono Inner Tyre Failures
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
raimo.toivio(at)rwm.fi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:54 am    Post subject: Mono Inner Tyre Failures Reply with quote

All

I have lost without visible or known reason two innner tyres in my Monowheel.

Loosing suddenly main gear´s air pressure is not a funny game and did not make my day actually.
Both of them have been original -Europa supply.
That means they are Indonesian made Deli Co´s "Nanco" 8.00 x6/7 TR-87 -type.
Both times I have found a very little crack (dry rot they say) on the sidewalls.
Google "Nanco problems" ...
Main /outer tyre (Airtrac) is unhurt and a new like.

May I please get a recommendation about a good quality inner tyre?!

Kind Regards,

Raimo from Finland
OH-XRT 139 hrs 280 landings

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
paul.the.aviator(at)gmail

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:35 am    Post subject: Mono Inner Tyre Failures Reply with quote

Hi,

I have this happen regularly. I now just change them every 100 hours
and I never travel without my jacking block and a spare inner tube. I
have tried inner tube talcum powder and different pressures with out
much improvement.

The failure mode seems to be chafing on the side wall due to running
such low pressure.

Paul

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 5:02 AM, Raimo Toivio <raimo.toivio(at)rwm.fi> wrote:
Quote:
All

I have lost without visible or known reason two innner tyres in my
Monowheel.

Loosing suddenly main gear´s air pressure is not a funny game and did not
make my day actually.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

rampil

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Mono Inner Tyre Failures Reply with quote

Rubber deteriorates by oxidation, the process is accelerated by
heat and flexing, conditions that exist inside tires. This may have
something to do with why inner tubes are no longer used in most
motor vehicles.

raimo.toivio(at)rwm.fi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:45 am    Post subject: Mono Inner Tyre Failures Reply with quote

Terve!

I cannot accept this! It should not be a part of our life we live (and fly) nowadays !
Landing with empty tyre could hurt seriously in the worst case scenario.

There must be something to prevent this happening so often or even better - never!

I used also talcum powder and now the whole plane smells roses (I asked powder with jet fuel smell but they have not!).

What´s your tire pressure, Paul? I have used always 2,2 PSI = 2,4 kg/cm2 (that´s about double they recommend).

BTW it is easy to check: in my case 2,2 PSI equals 162 mm = 6,38" from the asphalt surface to the lowest point of the main axle (port side). That is a poor man´s Mono Main Tyre´s Pressure Gauge.

Raimo OH-XRT

---

Europa´s_empty_tyre_2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  99.26 KB
 Viewed:  7697 Time(s)

Europa´s_empty_tyre_2.jpg

raimo.toivio(at)rwm.fi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:12 am    Post subject: Mono Inner Tyre Failures Reply with quote

I made a mistake w pressure units - sorry:

1 bar = 10 N/cm2 = (about) 1 kp/cm2 = 1 kg/cm2.

1 PSI = pound/inc2 = 0,454 kg/6,45 cm2 = 0,07 bar

1 bar = 14,3 PSI.

Raimo
---

rlborger(at)mac.com

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:43 am    Post subject: Mono Inner Tyre Failures Reply with quote

Carl,

Please explain further for our European friends who are probably not
aware of the product.

Bob Borger
Europa Kit #A221 N914XL, XS Mono, Intercooled 914, Airmaster C/S
http://www.europaowners.org/N914XL
Aircraft Flying!
3705 Lynchburg Dr.
Corinth, TX 76208
Home: 940-497-2123
Cel: 817-992-1117

On Sep 18, 2009, at 6:35, Carl Pattinson wrote:

[quote]
>

Very easy solution - its called "slime". No more flat tyres.

http://www.slime.com/index.php
---

acrojim7534(at)YAHOO.COM

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:13 am    Post subject: Mono Inner Tyre Failures Reply with quote

Paul

I have been following this thread on flats, and I have a few points to make, that have worked for me.

I have been flying my monowheel almost ten years off paved runway's...My kit included the old "tundra tire" and instructions to use low pressure,(I don't remember PSI, but the sidewalls rubbed the Landing gear frame.) The plane taxied like it was runing in mud..

I changed that tire at about 20 hours to a 700 X 6 and 6 plys and used 30 PSI. The plane is much easier to taxi, take off's are much quicker, and in 800 hours I have replaced two tires that were worn out. No flats !!!! I can't say that the air pressure is the problem, and also I don't fly off grass, but I have not had the problems that so many of you are having.

On another note having made the above change I also changed the outrigger lengths, as the new tire, with higher pressure made the original outriggers to short. Over the past ten years I have extened the outriggers in length, to now when the plane is parked, both outriggers touch the ground. For me ground handling is much better, and in landing with the longer outriggers the "rocking from one outrigger to the other" is now gone.

Also another question ? Are the flats limited to the Monowheels ??? Are are the tri gears having this problem?

Jim Brown
XS Monowheel.

--- On Thu, 9/17/09, Paul McAllister <paul.the.aviator(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Quote:

Subject: Re: Mono Inner Tyre Failures
To: europa-list(at)matronics.com
Date: Thursday, September 17, 2009, 12:32 PM

--> Europa-List message posted by: Paul McAllister <paul.the.aviator(at)gmail.com (paul.the.aviator(at)gmail.com)>

Hi,

I have this happen regularly.  I now just change them every 100 hours
much improvement.

such  low pressure.

Paul

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 5:02 AM, Raimo Toivio <raimo.toivio(at)rwm.fi (raimo.toivio(at)rwm.fi)> wrote:
Quote:
All

Monowheel.

&gtom/Navigator?Europa-List" target=_blank>http://www.matronics.com/Navigatosp; - MATRONICS WEB FO/" ; -Matt Dralle, List Admin==========

[quote][b]

fklein(at)orcasonline.com

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:47 am    Post subject: Mono Inner Tyre Failures Reply with quote

On Sep 20, 2009, at 5:10 AM, Jim Brown wrote:

Quote:
Over the past ten years I have extened the outriggers in length, to
now when the plane is parked, both outriggers touch the ground. For
me ground handling is much better, and in landing with the longer
outriggers the "rocking from one outrigger to the other" is now gone.

Jim,

Have you made the outriggers longer incrementally over the years or in
one fell swoop?

Would you venture an opinion as to whether or not the shorter legs
were advantageous initially as you familiarized yourself w/ the mono?

Sounds like you've had excellent results w/ the smaller tire at higher
pressure on the hardsurface runways you use...thanks for putting your
oar in to this discussion.

Fred
A194 XS mono

ami(at)mcfadyean.freeserv

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:25 am    Post subject: Mono Inner Tyre Failures Reply with quote

<< Are the tri gears having this problem?>>
Or the Taildraggers; the answer to which is no, except early on when using cheaper non-aviation inner tubes resulting in two punctures, one during landing.
These appeared to have resulted from internal abrasion/stressing of the inner tube (possibly some dirt in there), rather than from a projectile. Therein should lie a lesson.

The proper inner tubes have lasted 350+ hours, although don't hold air as well as would be expected; may try some 'Slime'-equivalent!.

Duncan McF
[quote] ---

kjburns(at)btinternet.com

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:13 pm    Post subject: Mono Inner Tyre Failures Reply with quote

Anyone running nitrogen instead of air ?
Common aviation practice, it is inert, and removing oxygen results in less rubber corrosion, more stable tyre pressures with temperature change.

On a pushbike inner tube I have observed seams that wear out causing punctures due to side wall flex.
Tyre side wall failure stressing and wearing through the side wall causing punctures.

Side wall flex increases with lower tyre presures and heat build up.

Buy the best quality tubes (and tyres) you can get..thickest rubber from recognised manufacturers...Chinese rubbers are not as corrosive resistant and age leak earlier.

I used slime on a 120 hp motorcycle and pulled three nails out in consecutive weeks with no loss of pressure (tubless)and used the bike untill the tyre wore out as a chase bike while instructing...

Was originaly recognised as a safety feature(it works) but sold now in UK for ATV/off road use due to fears of litigation..(tyre will fail catastropicaly if side wall/cord is damaged) (I also ran my MC school bikes on it and it saved down time,but on tubed rims any puncture object would be removed & new tube fitted in case it the tube splits.

Daily inspection of wheels should include pressure..learn to judge from tyre profile & contact area, tyre creep, paint on tell tails.
Side wall damage,cuts splits especialy cords, bulges...run your hand around the profile and feel for bulges (Snapped internal cords/failed carcase)can feel like an out of balance wheel when rolling.
Also inspect hub for damage and tail wheel rotates on its bearings.

On a motorcycle we increase tyre pressure for additional load to compensate for additional tyre wall flex,maintain proper contact patch and grip for braking, I allowed 5 psi increase for 150 lb load increase (medium passenger)..Use as rule of thumb adjust acording to fuel load also?

Use your eyes and look at which parts of your tyre is wearing out first..centre thin line, too high a presure.
outer of the tyre too soft increase.
5 psi at a time from recomended is a safe comparison point.
Use an acurate gauge when starting to measure.
Keep wheel wells,spats, and frames clear of dried mud.

If you have a tri gear drift will show as scrubbing to one half of the tyre or other..Double the life of your tyres by rotating them (thicker tread is more puncture resistant) either on same axle or opposite axels if tyre rotation arrows are uni-directional.
Examine your tubes for sidewall chaffing while they are out.

Kerbing any vehicles tyre can damage the structure of the tyre,tracking steering and suspension..be carefull changing from grass to hardstandings.

Pick up and dispose of foreign objects around the hanger and pad.

Practice your tyre checking on your car, pushbike,motorcycle..unusual wear patterns all try to tell you what is going on.

To summerise PILECK Pressures Inspect Load Clean Enviroment Kerbs

Regards

Kevin

--- On Sun, 20/9/09, Duncan & Ami McFadyean <ami(at)mcfadyean.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

Quote:
From: Duncan & Ami McFadyean <ami(at)mcfadyean.freeserve.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Mono Inner Tyre Failures
Date: Sunday, 20 September, 2009, 8:12 PM

<< Are
the tri gears having this
problem?>>
Or the Taildraggers; the answer to which is no, except
early on when using
cheaper non-aviation inner tubes resulting in two
punctures, one during
landing.
These appeared to have resulted from internal
abrasion/stressing of the
inner tube (possibly some dirt in there), rather than from
a projectile. Therein
should lie a lesson.

The proper inner tubes have lasted 350+ hours,
although don't hold air as
well as would be expected; may try some
'Slime'-equivalent!.

Duncan McF

----- Original Message
-----
Jim
Brown

Sent: Sunday,
September 20, 2009 1:10
PM
Subject: Re:
Mono Inner Tyre
Failures

Paul

I have been following this thread on
flats, and I have a few
points to make, that have worked for me.

I have been flying my monowheel almost ten
years off paved
runway's...My kit included the old "tundra
tire" and instructions to use
low pressure,(I don't remember PSI, but the
sidewalls rubbed the Landing
gear frame.) The plane taxied like it was runing in
mud..

I changed that tire at about 20 hours to a 700
X 6 and 6 plys and
used 30 PSI. The plane is much easier to taxi, take
off's are much
quicker, and in 800 hours I have replaced two tires
that were worn out.
No flats !!!! I can't say that the air pressure
is the problem, and also
I don't fly off grass, but I have not had the
problems that so many of
you are having.

On another note having made the above change I
also changed the
outrigger lengths, as the new tire, with higher
pressure made the
original outriggers to short. Over the past ten
years I have extened the
outriggers in length, to now when the plane is
parked, both outriggers
touch the ground. For me ground handling is much
better, and in landing
with the longer outriggers the "rocking from
one outrigger to the other"
is now gone.

Also another question ? Are the flats limited
to the Monowheels ???
Are are the tri gears having this
problem? 

Jim Brown
XS Monowheel.

--- On Thu, 9/17/09, Paul McAllister
<paul.the.aviator(at)gmail.com>
wrote:

Paul McAllister
<paul.the.aviator(at)gmail.com>
Subject: Re:
Mono Inner Tyre Failures
To:
europa-list(at)matronics.com
Date: Thursday, September 17, 2009, 12:32
PM

--> Europa-List message
posted by: Paul
McAllister <paul.the.aviator(at)gmail.com>

Hi,

I
have this happen regularly.  I now just
change them every 100
hours
and I never travel without my jacking block and a spare
inner
tube.  I
have tried inner tube talcum powder and different
pressures with out
much improvement.

The failure mode seems
to be chafing on the side wall due to running
such  low
pressure.

Paul

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 5:02 AM, Raimo
Toivio <raimo.toivio(at)rwm.fi>
wrote:
> All
>
> I have lost without visible or
known reason two innner tyres in my
> Monowheel.
>
>
Loosing suddenly main gear´s air pressure is not
a funny game and did
not
>om/Navigator?Europa-List"

target=_blank>http://www.matronics.com/Navigatosp;  

-
MATRONICS WEB FO/" ;  
            -Matt
Dralle, List
Admin==========

href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List">http://www.matronhref="http://forums.matronics.com">http://forums.matronics.com
href="http://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/c

ptag.dev(at)tiscali.co.uk

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:44 pm    Post subject: Mono Inner Tyre Failures Reply with quote

Hi! Jim
I have had the problem with failure of the nose wheel inner tubes at their seams. Especially before I researched slightly different size tubes. The originals were too large a diameter on the “balloon” dimension and so always inflated with a crease in them.
Regards
Bob Harrison G-PTAG

From: owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Jim Brown
Sent: 20 September 2009 13:11
Subject: Re: Europa-List: Mono Inner Tyre Failures

Paul

I have been following this thread on flats, and I have a few points to make, that have worked for me.

I have been flying my monowheel almost ten years off paved runway's...My kit included the old "tundra tire" and instructions to use low pressure,(I don't remember PSI, but the sidewalls rubbed the Landing gear frame.) The plane taxied like it was runing in mud..

I changed that tire at about 20 hours to a 700 X 6 and 6 plys and used 30 PSI. The plane is much easier to taxi, take off's are much quicker, and in 800 hours I have replaced two tires that were worn out. No flats !!!! I can't say that the air pressure is the problem, and also I don't fly off grass, but I have not had the problems that so many of you are having.

On another note having made the above change I also changed the outrigger lengths, as the new tire, with higher pressure made the original outriggers to short. Over the past ten years I have extened the outriggers in length, to now when the plane is parked, both outriggers touch the ground. For me ground handling is much better, and in landing with the longer outriggers the "rocking from one outrigger to the other" is now gone.

Also another question ? Are the flats limited to the Monowheels ??? Are are the tri gears having this problem?

Jim Brown

XS Monowheel.

--- On Thu, 9/17/09, Paul McAllister <paul.the.aviator(at)gmail.com> wrote:
Quote:

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Mono Inner Tyre Failures
--> Europa-List message posted by: Paul McAllister <paul.the.aviator(at)gmail.com (paul.the.aviator(at)gmail.com)>

Hi,

much improvement.

such low pressure.

Paul

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 5:02 AM, Raimo Toivio <raimo.toivio(at)rwm.fi (raimo.toivio(at)rwm.fi)> wrote:
> All
>
> I have lost without visible or known reason two innner tyres in my
> Monowheel.
>
> Loosing suddenly main gear´s air pressure is not a funny game and did not
&gtom/Navigator?Europa-List" target=_blank>http://www.matronics.com/Navigatosp; - MATRONICS WEB FO/" ; -Matt Dralle, List Admin==========
<![if !supportLineBreakNewLine]> <![endif]>

Quote:
          - The Europa-List Email Forum ---> http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

acrojim(at)cfl.rr.com

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:47 pm    Post subject: Mono Inner Tyre Failures Reply with quote

Fred

I think this is the 4th set of outriggers I have replaced over the years. Each set was made longer,about 1/2 inch each time. My monowheel is an XS model,and not the classic so there may be a difference in lengths of the outriggers as supplied by the factory???

In looking back when I was learning to land the monowheel, FOR ME I think the learning curve would have gone better had the outriggers been longer... Let me explain....During landings,after touchdown, the rocking from side to side of the wings with the short outriggers gave me the inpression that the plane was starting to turn to one side or the other, and I sometime corrected for a turn, when there was no turn. It took a while for my brain and my feet to come togather in my mind. Before I started flying the monowheel, I had acculuminated 1000 plus hours in a Pitts S-1-S which I owned. My perspective of what was going on outside the monowheel during the landing roll out, was affected by what I had seen in the Pitts.

I'm not sure how a low time pilot might feel, or be aware of what is happing in the landing roll out of their monowheel.
I don't know if anyone has posted their thoughts on this subject.....but please DO NOT change out the outriggers on your plane on basis of my experience.

Please understand I am not suggesting that anyone run out and change outriggers for longer ones.

Jim Brown.
---- Fred Klein <fklein(at)orcasonline.com> wrote:
Quote:

On Sep 20, 2009, at 5:10 AM, Jim Brown wrote:

> Over the past ten years I have extened the outriggers in length, to
> now when the plane is parked, both outriggers touch the ground. For
> me ground handling is much better, and in landing with the longer
> outriggers the "rocking from one outrigger to the other" is now gone.

Jim,

Have you made the outriggers longer incrementally over the years or in
one fell swoop?

Would you venture an opinion as to whether or not the shorter legs
were advantageous initially as you familiarized yourself w/ the mono?

Sounds like you've had excellent results w/ the smaller tire at higher
pressure on the hardsurface runways you use...thanks for putting your
oar in to this discussion.

Fred
A194 XS mono

budyerly(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:23 pm    Post subject: Mono Inner Tyre Failures Reply with quote

<?xml:namespace prefix="v" /><?xml:namespace prefix="o" /><![endif]--> Interesting to note:

Tire pressure is the key. The lower the pressure the more wear on the side wall. I see the older mono's with cracks in the sidewalls running 12-14 lbs of pressure on the 7 inch tire so as to control the bounce (theoretically). The normal pressure by the book for the 8 inch tire is 18 lbs. But none is stated for the 7 inch tire in the operations manual... Typically the tire should be inflated to about 30 lbs according to Air Trac.

The original outrigger length was set for the Classic tail wheel located at the rear bulkhead. The tail wheel was lower and the outriggers were shorter. With the tail wheel stinger, the outriggers were too short and were eventually lengthened. The new tail wheel conversion mod for the old Classic tail wheel to stinger increases the outrigger length by about an inch and a half.

After talking years ago with Jim Brown and Andy Draper, I helped Joe Like set up his aircraft with the longer leg lengths. Joe was a low time pilot with a little Aeronca Champ time. By adjusting his outrigger leg lengths to just rest on the ground when the plane was only loaded with fuel, helped him with the horrible leans that can throw off the novices attempt at directional control. Joe has the 7 inch main tire as most of you all. Joe now has 150 plus hours without incident operating off of concrete. So Jim has sage advice.

Each plane requires a slightly different outrigger measurement, but it appears worth the effort to make the outriggers so they just touch the ground so as to help overall control.

Just my thoughts. I only have a few landings in the mono, and the weather was calm. No ill affects with this setup. I also never allowed a deviation more than a inch or two on takeoff or landing. Let's just say I had happy feet and a tight set of muscles.

Bud Yerly
Tri-gear, 914

[quote][b]

raimo.toivio(at)rwm.fi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:40 am    Post subject: Mono Inner Tyre Failures Reply with quote

I did not know there are different sealants for tubed ja tubeless tyres!
I have once made my day (or in fact my summer) with this stuff but this time it did not help.
Maybe it was wrong stuff for tubeless tyre types ?

Raimo
---

craigb(at)onthenet.com.au

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:39 am    Post subject: Mono Inner Tyre Failures Reply with quote

FWIW, in heavy transport, tyre pressures are vital in ensuring tyre life, a tyre than underinflated
by as little as 10% can and does have its life shortened by as much as 95%, due to excessive flexing
of the side walls causing overheating and delamination, which generally results in total and complete
failure with little to no warning. No doubt some of you would have seen a truck tyre explode on the
freeway for no apparent reason
[quote][b]

raimo.toivio(at)rwm.fi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:12 am    Post subject: Mono Inner Tyre Failures Reply with quote

OM XS Monowheel August 1998 Page 7-4:

- tyre pressure for correct inflation - 18 PSI (1,2 bar)

Is not that too flat?
I have used almost double (2,2 bar)
No landing or handling difficulties.

Raimo OH-XRT
[quote] ---

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:11 am    Post subject: Mono Inner Tyre Failures Reply with quote

Raimo......IMHO the product which is being promoted is NOT for tubless tyres
utilizing a split wheel centre such an item does not exist because it is
impossible to seal the split centre. However there are products which when
inserted in the wheel/tyre which are in foam form and when exposed to air
they cure as a solid foam. To get the wheel centre out of this "mess" the
tyre would need to be cut from the rim.(not forgetting the weight factor.)
Regards
Bob Harrison

--

acrojim7534(at)YAHOO.COM

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:55 am    Post subject: Mono Inner Tyre Failures Reply with quote

Bob;

We had the same problem on our RV-7A that our son flys.It went flat after he had landed...
No damage, but we also went to different size on the nose gear tube....

JimBrown

--- On Sun, 9/20/09, Robert C Harrison <ptag.dev(at)tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

Quote:

Subject: RE: Mono Inner Tyre Failures
Date: Sunday, September 20, 2009, 9:43 PM

Hi! Jim

I have had the problem with failure of the nose wheel inner tubes at their seams. Especially before I researched slightly different size tubes. The originals were too large a diameter on the “balloon” dimension and so always inflated with a crease in them.

Regards

Bob Harrison G-PTAG

From: owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto: owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com ] On Behalf Of Jim Brown
Subject: Re: Europa -List: Mono Inner Tyre Failures

Paul

Jim Brown

XS Monowheel.

--- On Thu, 9/17/09, Paul McAllister < paul.the.aviator(at)gmail.com > wrote:

Quote:

--> Europa -List message posted by: Paul McAllister <paul.the.aviator(at)gmail.com>

Hi,

much improvement.

such low pressure.

Paul

Quote:
All

Monowheel.

&gtom/Navigator? Europa -List" target=_blank>http://www.matronics.com/Navigatosp; - MATRONICS WEB FO/" ; -Matt Dralle, List Admin==========

Quote:
- The
Europa -List Email Forum -
--> http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS -   - List Contribution Web Site -      -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
Quote:
Quote:

[quote][b]

garrys(at)tampabay.rr.com

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:50 pm    Post subject: Mono Inner Tyre Failures Reply with quote

Jim Brown..........what size nose gear tube did you use?

Garry Stout

[quote] ---

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject: Mono Inner Tyre Failures Reply with quote

Thanks for that info. Jim.I have had about 4  failed tubes in two tyres since Sept 2000. I had thought it was just me being “Johna” ! until I rumbled the alternative size for the 4" nose wheel tube size which I have resorted to now is a KINGS TIRE 11x4.00-5 Which for some reason is of smaller cross section balloon size than the original KINGS TIRE 4.10/3.50-5  Both have the 90deg bent metal valve. And were supplied by WATTS Aviation Tyres.  
www.wattsaviation.co.uk/

However I spoke to John Bell at Watts tyres today and he says that the selection of tubes is a black art due to manufacturers trying to cater for  wide tyre sizes.
Ultimately it is down to the person doing the fitting to identify if the tube is over size. In this effect it is infinitely better to have a slightly undersize tube which will expand to fit the tyre instead of oversize and no where for the slack to go. Thank God we are not talking certified aircraft.!
Regards
Bob Harrison G-PTAG

From: owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Jim Brown
Sent: 21 September 2009 20:42
Subject: RE: Europa-List: Mono Inner Tyre Failures

Bob;

We had the same problem on our RV-7A that our son flys.It went flat after he had landed...

No damage, but we also went to different size on the nose gear tube....

JimBrown

--- On Sun, 9/20/09, Robert C Harrison <ptag.dev(at)tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
Quote:

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Mono Inner Tyre Failures
Date: Sunday, September 20, 2009, 9:43 PM
Hi! Jim

Regards

Bob Harrison G-PTAG

From: owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto: owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com ] On Behalf Of Jim Brown

Paul

Jim Brown

XS Monowheel.

--- On Thu, 9/17/09, Paul McAllister < paul.the.aviator(at)gmail.com > wrote:
Quote:

--> Europa -List message posted by: Paul McAllister <paul.the.aviator(at)gmail.com>

Hi,

much improvement.

such low pressure.

Paul

> All
>
> I have lost without visible or known reason two innner tyres in my
> Monowheel.
>
> Loosing suddenly main gear´s air pressure is not a funny game and did not
&gtom/Navigator? Europa -List" target=_blank>http://www.matronics.com/Navigatosp; - MATRONICS WEB FO/" ; -Matt Dralle, List Admin========== <![if !supportLineBreakNewLine]> <![endif]>

Quote:
    - The Europa -List Email Forum ---> http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List   - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS -   - List Contribution Web Site -     -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
  - The
Quote:
  - The
Quote:
  - The
Quote:
  - The
Quote:
  - The
Quote:
  - The
Quote:
  - The
Quote:
  - The
Quote:
  - The
Quote:
  - The
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: