Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Spiked" Radio

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frank Davis

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:15 pm    Post subject: "Spiked" Radio Reply with quote

Greetings Bob et al.,

On another list someone posted that he "spiked" his radio when he
inadvertently turned his master switch off and immediately turned it
back on. He did not say what the engine rpm was at when this happened.
He said the radio was protected only by a circuit breaker that did not
open. The radio required service which included the replacement of a
resistor. He also said he planned on adding a fuse to the radio circuit.

I don't understand how the stated actions would result in the damage
cited. Any insight would be appreciated.

Regards,
Frank

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
jetboy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

Frank,
You don't specify the type of aircraft and radio which can make a big difference. If the guy is considering adding a fuse then that suggests to me its a homebuilt aircraft, raising the question of just how much care has been taken to configure everything to best practice for the mission desired.

Some radios designed for the Ultralight / LSA markets are not TSO'd and not necessarily able to withstand the conditions of electrical immunity spelled out in DOD-160 or better.

In a proper installation with an adequate electrical system any TSO'd radio should be OK with the conditions described. I would not expect a properly sized CB to trip and definitely not hold my breath for a fuse do do anything.

I have owned a 1961 Cessna or 12 years and my CH701 for the last five, these have been equipped with the same KY97a radio and I have never turned the radio off before starting the plane or any of that stuff that basically wears out the switches and volume controls. I can't think of a better way to test a radio than the O-200 with the pull starter!

But I've seen a high proportion of the newer radios with warnings about requiring an avionics master switch, large capacitor ( a problem in itself because that will render the CB / fusing inadequate) and these are the radios that seem to scramble their insides on a regular basis.

Not sure if that gives any insight into whats happened if it was my plane I'd be retaining the CBs not adding fuses - the fact you can attempt to replace them inflight is a danger in itself.

Ralph

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:06 pm    Post subject: "Spiked" Radio Reply with quote

At 12:16 AM 10/1/2009, you wrote:
Quote:

Frank,
You don't specify the type of aircraft and radio which can
make a big difference. If the guy is considering adding a fuse then
that suggests to me its a homebuilt aircraft, raising the question
of just how much care has been taken to configure everything to
best practice for the mission desired.

Quote:
<snip>

Not sure if that gives any insight into whats happened if it was my
plane I'd be retaining the CBs not adding fuses - the fact you can
attempt to replace them inflight is a danger in itself.

Good answer sir. Couldn't have said it
better myself . . .
Bob . . .

---------------------------------------
( . . . a long habit of not thinking )
( a thing wrong, gives it a superficial )
( appearance of being right . . . )
( )
( -Thomas Paine 1776- )
---------------------------------------

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: