Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yak Radio

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tigeryak18t

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:13 pm    Post subject: Yak Radio Reply with quote

Hello to all,

I have a question regarding my radio.
I have installed both US and russian radio in my plane (overhauled Baklan 5).
My operator set a switch to change between the US and the russian radio and changed the headset plugs to western plugs in order to use regular headset.
My problem is the following.
On the US radio, no problems : Emission's fine and reception's fine also.
On the russian radio, emission seems to be perfect (better than with the US radio) but when it comes to listening I can't hear anything. A sound that's so faint that it is not understandable.
I was wondering if some of you had the same problem and of your knowledge is there a solution.

Thanks to all and good day

Didier
Yak18T HA-JAC
Paris - FRANCE
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List

psb777

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: Yak Radio Reply with quote

Didier, I have a similar radio configuration to you but the opposite problem with the Baklan radio. The Garmin radio is fine. I can always hear very well on the Baklan radio but usually the transmissions from it are reported as inaudible or garbled and so I no longer transmit using it. Also, in flight, when talking on the Baklan radio there is a loud noise in my headset. On the ground the Baklan radio works fine. It feels to me as if a minor adjustment would make things work a lot better. But I know very little! The local avionics chap has had a look and can find nothing obviously wrong. Regards, Paul

Paul Beardsell HA-YAB Yak-18T

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

yakplt(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject: Yak Radio Reply with quote

I would like to confirm you are running a Baklan. Not the panel mounted radio like in the YAK-50.

Anyway, from what you describe, there is a problem in the microphone audio circuit for the radio. As you know, when you talk you hear yourself in the headset. This is called side-tone. Your receive audio, what you hear from other people, is working fine on the ground and in the air. However, in the air when you talk, you hear yourself with noise in your headphones and the ground folks report your transmissions as garbled. This clearly describes a microphone audio problem.

Next time you fly, do this: After airborne, disconnect the microphone plug of your headset from the aircraft. If this is a standard type system it will be the smaller of the two plugs. If it is Russian, then I have no idea. Leave your headphones plugged in.

Now push your PTT switch (push to talk) or the transmit button, whatever you want to call it. If your radio transmits and you hear no noise at all in your headset, then you have found the problem, it is a bad headset.

If the noise persists, you have eliminated the headset as the problem. The issue now is whether the noise is in the wiring TO the radio, or in the radio itself. The easiest way to determine that is to swap out the radio. However, obviously that can be hard to do. My guess is that it is in the aircraft wiring. Some of that old Russian wiring is pretty flimsy and goes through some junction blocks that can be suspect. The fact that it only happens in flight makes it all the more difficult. I would be curious whether it happens on the ground with the engine running at high power.

Anyway, that's a start. And do not forget to disconnect all other headsets in the aircraft before you run this test.

Also, in the Baklan system, there are really three things that could cause this:

1. The headsets
2. The wiring
3. The audio interface panel
4. The radio.

Again, it could be the radio, but more likely the audio interface panel which is kind of underneath the mount, and finally the wiring.

I doubt it is an adjustment. Just my 2 cents.

Mark Bitterlich

--- On Sat, 10/3/09, psb777 <matronics.com(at)beardsell.com> wrote:

Quote:

Subject: Re: Yak Radio
To: yak-list(at)matronics.com
Date: Saturday, October 3, 2009, 8:42 AM

--> Yak-List message posted by: "psb777" <matronics.com(at)beardsell.com (matronics.com(at)beardsell.com)>

Didier, I have a similar radio configuration to you but the opposite problem with the Baklan radio. The Garmin radio is fine. I can always hear very well on the Baklan radio but usually the transmissions from it are reported as inaudible or garbled and so I no longer transmit using it. Also, in flight, when talking on the Baklan radio there is a loud noise in my headset. On the ground the Baklan radio works fine. It feels to me as if a minor adjustment would make things work a lot better. But I know very little! The local avionics chap has had a look and can find nothing obviously wrong. Regards, Paul

Paul Beardsell HA-YAB Yak-18T

--------
Paul Beardsell

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=266236#266236
http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-Listhttp://www.matronics.com/contri================

[quote][b]

mark.bitterlich(at)navy.m

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:22 am    Post subject: Yak Radio Reply with quote

Hello Didier.

First, did the technician add an audio panel, or did he just switch things with relays? I suspect relays. This is not something that can be troubleshot remotely, but there are some things you can try. Do you have side-tone? When you transmit, can you hear yourself talk perfectly, or is it very weak.

If it is weak, or not there, then you simply have a receive audio line not connected correctly.

This problem is something that can be fixed, but a person needs to be there with the proper test equipment to do it.

Possibly someone else has some quick suggestions dealing with the audio interface panel that is located on the radio rack, but nothing really simple comes to mind. It is going to require some testing. Your avionics tech should be called back into action I am afraid.

Mark Bitterlich

From: owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com on behalf of Didier Blouzard
Sent: Fri 10/2/2009 4:12 PM
To: yak-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Yak Radio
Hello to all,

My operator set a switch to change between the US and the russian radio and changed the headset plugs to western plugs in order to use regular headset.
On the russian radio, emission seems to be perfect (better than with the US radio) but when it comes to listening I can't hear anything. A sound that's so faint that it is not understandable.
I was wondering if some of you had the same problem and of your knowledge is there a solution.

Didier
Yak18T HA-JAC
Paris - FRANCE

tigeryak18t

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject: Yak Radio Reply with quote

Hello Mark,

it is in fact a simple switch that's select the russian and western radio. Both radios gos through an SPA400. The western radio works fine but with the vibrations I have to push it back in place from time to time.
This week I checked both radios. I have been told that everybody receive much better with the russian radio selected. My main problem is that it is barely audible.
I wonder if it can be a problem of impedance adaptation? Any hintts regarding a

Regarding my hungarian avionic tech I am afraid that he can't solve the problem neither can the french because they don't know the russian system. So I am alone !!!

Regarding the problem of Mark, I had a similar problem. This problem came from my antenna's cable which was very poorly connected to the antenna (just over the pilots head, in the roof) and the frame of the plane act as a faraday cage. Try to use a safety radio from inside the yak it is impossible (I had to set an antenna under the plane and a cable coming thrue the When I changed the connection and reconnected to the antenna my radio worked fine.

Hope that will help.

Didier

2009/10/3 Bitterlich, Mark G CIV Det Cherry Point, MALS-14 64E <mark.bitterlich(at)navy.mil (mark.bitterlich(at)navy.mil)>
Quote:
--> Yak-List message posted by: "Bitterlich, Mark G CIV Det Cherry Point, MALS-14 64E" <mark.bitterlich(at)navy.mil (mark.bitterlich(at)navy.mil)>

Hello Didier.

First, did the technician add an audio panel, or did he just switch things with relays?  I suspect relays.  This is not something that can be troubleshot remotely, but there are some things you can try.  Do you have side-tone?  When you transmit, can you hear yourself talk perfectly, or is it very weak.

If it is weak, or not there, then you simply have a receive audio line not connected correctly.

This problem is something that can be fixed, but a person needs to be there with the proper test equipment to do it.

Possibly someone else has some quick suggestions dealing with the audio interface panel that is located on the radio rack, but nothing really simple comes to mind.  It is going to require some testing.  Your avionics tech should be called back into action I am afraid.

Mark Bitterlich

From: owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com) on behalf of Didier Blouzard
Sent: Fri 10/2/2009 4:12 PM
To: yak-list(at)matronics.com (yak-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject: Yak Radio

Hello to all,

Didier
Yak18T HA-JAC
Paris - FRANCE

===========
rget="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
===========
http://forums.matronics.com
===========
le, List Admin.
="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========

--
Didier BLOUZARD
didier.blouzard(at)gmail.com (didier.blouzard(at)gmail.com)
[quote][b]

mark.bitterlich(at)navy.m

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:30 pm    Post subject: Yak Radio Reply with quote

I see. Well, I would honestly have to see the whole circuit diagram of
what was put in there and exactly how. Right now I am working blind,
and remotely. Just is not going to work that way. Not a good answer,
but honest.

Yes, it could be impedance. MAYBE, but I doubt it. The person should
have taken the headset audio that formerly came right into your headset
and fed it into the new SPA-400. If he went and took it directly off
the radio, that could be it. Seriously, without knowing what he did,
how he did it, where he hooked in, then it's hard to know WHAT might be
going on.

Also you did not answer my other questions. What about SIDE TONE ???
Can you hear yourself when you TRANSMIT? Do you hear both radios at
once by any chance?

Here's the thing..... The SPA-400 was meant to be connected to ONE radio
and not TWO radios. That means that the person had to design something
DIFFERENT to make that work.

There are three connections that must be made to both radios.

Headset audio. This is normally a signal wire and a ground.
Microphone audio. This is also normally a signal wire (that is
shielded) and a ground. The shield is normally the ground and it is
grounded at BOTH ENDS.
PTT or Push to Talk. This is ONE wire that goes to the radio. You
GROUND that wire and the radio transmits.

Now, how did he handle the HEADSET AUDIO? It is entirely feasible that
he connected them both together... That is he connected the headset
audio wire from BOTH radios together and is only switching the PTT and
the MIKE WIRE. Did he do that? If he did, that is probably your
problem.

This is why I said there is normally a relay. You say you have ONE
SWITCH. Yes, of course. But what does that switch actually DO? It
PROBABLY controls a RELAY.

The relay must switch the connections for MICROPHONE AUDIO, HEADSET
AUDIO, and PTT going to the SPA-400, and all three things must be
switched back and forth between radios.

It is ALSO possible, that the shield for the headset audio for the
Russian radio is supposed to run straight to the headset and not go to
aircraft GROUND. I am not sure, because I do not use your radio in my
YAK-50. I do not own a YAK-52. I have repaired your type of radio, but
have not done the kind of thing you have attempted.

This is normally why you use an AUDIO PANEL. An AUDIO PANEL keeps all
these connections apart and is meant to do what you are attempting to
do. In your case, your technician DESIGNED something to do it, and ...
His design, whatever it is, is not working correctly.

Without knowing what was there to begin with, how it worked when it did
work, and what he has done, EXACTLY, there is simply no way I can fix
this for you.

My GUESS? My GUESS is that he has not referenced headset audio to
ground. In other words, he has hooked up the Russian headset audio wire
as called for, through a switch, or relay, or somehow or another. But,
he did nothing with the SHIELD wire that originally came from the radio.
And thus there is no ground reference for the headset audio. This would
cause it to be extremely weak.

Find the original wiring that came out of the YAK-52 and went to your
headset. Disconnect it from whatever he has done and hook it BACK to a
headset! If you can then hear everything just fine, you are well on
your way to fixing it. In a case like that, you fix it by using a 1:1
audio transformer. You connect one side of the transformer to the
headset audio wire from the radio and the RETURN wire to the radio. The
other side of the transformer you connect one wire to pin 3 of your
SPA-400 (receive audio) and the other side to aircraft GROUND.

It's a guess, but a logical one.

Mark
--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: