Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need help with Matco wheel disassembly

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stepinwolf

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:33 pm    Post subject: Need help with Matco wheel disassembly Reply with quote

I have just purchased a set of Matco wheels for my 701, and since they previously saw service, I would like to disassemble them for cleaning, and verification. However after having removed the axles,brakes, and bolts holding the two wheel halves together, I can't seem to pry them out of the tire. Is there any safe or easy way to remove them without damaging the wheel half, of the tire itself.?

I was tempted to get out the BFH and the pry bar, but I'm sure some one on the list must surely have gone through the process before me.

A big thank you, to those of you who will take the time to respond to my concerns.

Robert the 701&750 scratch

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List

lrm(at)skyhawg.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:21 pm    Post subject: Need help with Matco wheel disassembly Reply with quote

Bolt them back together, break the beads lose, then unbolt them. They
will pull apart easily. Harbor Freight sells a small wheel bead
breaker. It is used mainly for ATV or motorcycle tires, but works well
on any small wheel. Part# 98875-OVGA, $19.95. That's how I did mine.
Or you can take them to a ATV shop, they shouldn't charge much. Take
care, Larry, N1345L

stepinwolf wrote:
Quote:

I have just purchased a set of Matco wheels for my 701, and since they previously saw service, I would like to disassemble them for cleaning, and verification. However after having removed the axles,brakes, and bolts holding the two wheel halves together, I can't seem to pry them out of the tire. Is there any safe or easy way to remove them without damaging the wheel half, of the tire itself.?

I was tempted to get out the BFH and the pry bar, but I'm sure some one on the list must surely have gone through the process before me.

A big thank you, to those of you who will take the time to respond to my concerns.

Robert the 701&750 scratch

--------
Live each day, as if it was your last

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p 67683#267683

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Checked by AVG - www.avg.com

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

graeme(at)coletoolcentre.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:21 pm    Post subject: Need help with Matco wheel disassembly Reply with quote

you need a bear breaker.
if you are handy weld up a pivot on an arm. attach to wall
shape of rim and press off tyre

graemecns

Mike Hoffman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:18 am    Post subject: Re: Need help with Matco wheel disassembly Reply with quote

I have broken down a dozen or so small aircraft tires and do this way.
1.Take the core out of the valve stem.
2.Set a piece of plywood on the driveway and set the wheel on it (plywood protects the rim).
3. Drive your car tire over the aircraft tire making sure you do not hit the rim but you are as close as you can get.
4. If it does not break loose, rotate the wheel and do it again.
5. Turn the wheel over and break the bead on the other side.
6. When both sides are broken free, remove the bolts and disassemble the wheel.
7. It may help if you spray soap and water or WD40 around the bead.
8. Be sure to use lots of soap and water on the bead when you reassemble it. I have also found after you reassemble it I over inflate it (I think to about 50 Lbs) to seat the tire on the wheel. Then let the air out to 20 or 25 lbs or what ever number you use.
9. Be sure you balance the wheel before to put it on the plane. If you don't do it now you will after you start your high speed taxi test and find the vibration. All my wheels were way off.

tbonsell(at)luxuria.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:19 am    Post subject: Need help with Matco wheel disassembly Reply with quote

i'm using my matcos tubeless. didn't have much faith in that o-ring to
keep the air in, but i thought, what the hell, these are aerospace
engineers, they know what they're doing. they leaked and leaked and
leaked. i didn't want to butcher those aluminum wheels with a pry bar,
i ended up putting the wheel on its side and stood on the tire near
the bead. i had to do a bit of a dance, but they popped off.

i put some tire sealant called slime around the o-ring and now they
don't leak.

JohnDRead(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:16 pm    Post subject: Need help with Matco wheel disassembly Reply with quote

I would have liked to use my Matco's tubeless too. But getting the darned O ring into place while trying to hold the whole wheel in place was an incredible excersize in frustration. So my solution was to buy tubes from www.Gemplers.com now I am a happy camper. Regarding getting the tires off the rims a bead breaker is the way to go. My local friendly FBO has one which I used to get the tires off the rims.

John Read
CH701 - Elbert CO - Jabiru 3300

Phone: 303-648-3261
Fax: 303-648-3262
Cell: 719-494-4567

[quote][b]

bobkat

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:39 pm    Post subject: Need help with Matco wheel disassembly Reply with quote

I just zipped down the street to Sprawl Mart. They did it for nothing while I stood there. They would have let me use their bead breaker except for their insurance regulations. I put in tubes, too, because of the nasty words that appeared in my shop when I tried to put on the tubeless. Also, I thought a tube might be easier to fix if I was out in some rural airport.
[quote] ---

Curt.Thompson(at)verizon.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:11 pm    Post subject: Need help with Matco wheel disassembly Reply with quote

John,

I took my tires to the local Les Schwab. They did it for nothing while I watched.

Here is how you put them back together: You roll that o-ring up onto the rim (side without the valve stem). Up real close to where the bead sits. It’s a real stretch for the o-ring. It will then stay in place while you bolt the rims together. I then use some tire cleaner on the o-ring, where the o-ring will sits, and the tire bead. Now roll the o-ring down into place. Over-inflate to make sure everything sticks. Then let pressure off to desired level.

BTW, I went to Hobby-Town, bought some stick-on lead weights and glued them to the inside of the tire. It took 1 ounce on each of the tires.

Curt

From: owner-zenith701801-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-zenith701801-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of JohnDRead(at)aol.com
Sent: Tuesday, October 13, 2009 7:16 PM
To: zenith701801-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Need help with Matco wheel disassembly

I would have liked to use my Matco's tubeless too. But getting the darned O ring into place while trying to hold the whole wheel in place was an incredible excersize in frustration. So my solution was to buy tubes from www.Gemplers.com now I am a happy camper. Regarding getting the tires off the rims a bead breaker is the way to go. My local friendly FBO has one which I used to get the tires off the rims.

John Read
CH701 - Elbert CO - Jabiru 3300

Phone: 303-648-3261
Fax: 303-648-3262
Cell: 719-494-4567

[quote][b]

graeme(at)coletoolcentre.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:53 pm    Post subject: Need help with Matco wheel disassembly Reply with quote

I have tubes also.
only problem tyres can rotate and rip out the valve assy. just missed a fence a couple of months back.
2nd flat tyre in 4 years
My wheels don't have the grove for an oring

graemecns
[quote] ---

lgold(at)quantum-associat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:13 pm    Post subject: Need help with Matco wheel disassembly Reply with quote

Rather than use the “ol'” roll-over-the-tire-with-your-car-trick, I prefer to use an inexpensive go cart tire changer to break the bead. I got it after destroying one aircraft rim with my car. You can get a cheap tire changer at http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=34552. Since I got the thing I have become very popular. All the guys in my club come to my hanger to pull their tires.
Les

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: