Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jay Bannister - OK ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnd

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:58 am    Post subject: Jay Bannister - OK ? Reply with quote

I just found this report at the faa.gov website, its Jay Bannister's
plane. I hope Jay or whoever was flying it is ok.
********************************************************************************
** Report created 10/21/2009 Record 3 **
********************************************************************************

IDENTIFICATION
Regis#: 2630J Make/Model: EXP Description: ZODIAC 601XL
Date: 10/17/2009 Time: 2030

Event Type: Incident Highest Injury: None Mid Air: N Missing: N
Damage: Minor

DESCRIPTION
AIRCRAFT FORCE LANDED IN A FIELD AND THE NOSE WHEEL COLLAPSED, MIDLOTHIAN,
TX

INJURY DATA Total Fatal: 0
# Crew: 1 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
# Pass: 0 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
# Grnd: Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:

WEATHER: KJWY 172025Z AUTO 31009G15KT 10SM SCT055 22/09 A3032

OTHER DATA
Activity: Unknown Phase: Other Operation: OTHER
FAA FSDO: DALLAS, TX (SW05) Entry date: 10/19/2009

- The Matronics Zenith-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List
jaybannist(at)cs.com

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:17 am    Post subject: Jay Bannister - OK ? Reply with quote

The pilot (not me) was not injured. Damage mostly around the area of the collapsed nose gear - repairable. Lil' Bruiser will be out of action for a while.

Jay Bannister

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

LHusky

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject: Jay Bannister - OK ? Reply with quote

Jay, glad to hear that the pilot is ok? What caused the forced landing? Canopy? Engine trouble?

Larry Husky
Madras, Oregon

In a message dated 10/21/2009 7:17:58 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time, jaybannist(at)cs.com writes:
[quote] The pilot (not me) was not injured. Damage mostly around the area of the collapsed nose gear - repairable. Lil' Bruiser will be out of action for a while.

Jay Bannister

--

jaybannist(at)cs.com

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:13 pm    Post subject: Jay Bannister - OK ? Reply with quote

Larry,

Yes, the pilot is fine. The engine quit. He was not within gliding distance of the airport, landed in a pasture OK, but hit a berm and collapsed the nose gear. From his description, it must have been a fuel related problem - maybe a clogged screen in the fuel path or carb icing. I have been under the weather, so haven't been able to get to the hanger to investigate.

Jay

--

LHusky

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Jay Bannister - OK ? Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that. I hope for a speedy recovery for both of you. Keep us informed.

Larry Husky
Madras, Oregon

In a message dated 10/21/2009 1:14:39 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, jaybannist(at)cs.com writes:
[quote] Larry,

Yes, the pilot is fine. The engine quit. He was not within gliding distance of the airport, landed in a pasture OK, but hit a berm and collapsed the nose gear. From his description, it must have been a fuel related problem - maybe a clogged screen in the fuel path or carb icing. I have been under the weather, so haven't been able to get to the hanger to investigate.

Jay

--

BobTezyk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Jay Bannister - OK ? Reply with quote

Good day all,

I was the pilot flying Jay's airplane. I was helping Jay get the testing under way. I had a detailed test plan for the flight on my clip board and I was wearing a parachute. To save time and typing to each one individually, I am including a portion of the FAA report I wrote about the incident:

"A climb was made to 3500 MSL outside of the Mode C vail. The stall series was completed and the aircraft was in level flight when the engine started to surge several times. A turn was immediately made to JWY as the engine returned to normal. About a minute later, the surges returned. At that point, tanks were switched, the other coil and fuel pump were selected. Shortly thereafter, the engine surged several times again and quit.

A plowed field was picked as the best landing spot. Attempts were made to re-start the engine 3 times with no joy. At 2500 MSL, it was determined that the plowed field could not be reached so the landing spot was switched to a pasture. At about 500 AGL, it was noted that the pasture was terraced in the east-west direction, with the plane on a northerly heading. The decision was made to maintain the northerly heading and not make a sharp turn to the east as there was too much danger of a stall/spin condition. At about 5 AGL, the plane was slowed to stall speed and allowed to settle on the rising terraces.

The aircraft touched down on the upslope of a terrace and re-launched into the air. The re-launch took the aircraft another 10 feet further before settling down. Estimated touchdown speed was about 40 MPH.IAS. The touchdown point was on another upslope. There was no more elevator authority at this speed to keep the nose wheel off the ground at that speed. The nose wheel caught the upslope berm and bent back causing the nose to fall to the ground.

Damage sustained was minor. The cowling sheet metal was bent as was the sheet metal and rudder pedals where the nose gear pushed into the fuselage. The left wing inertia of coming to a stop pulled the rear attach fitting bolt through the attach fitting. The spinner sustained some damage being dragged through the dirt on the under side, but the propeller did not touch the ground. The ground impact was mild enough to not trigger the ELT.

Upon coming to a stop, all power and switches were verified off and the canopy was released. The aircraft was exited and a safe distance was maintained. A walk around of the aircraft was performed and it was determined that no fuel was leaking."

If the nose wheel had not caught on the berm, there would have been no damage to the aircraft. My primary flight training kicked in automatically and I made a deliberate effort to not over control or over maneuver the airplane. My recent glider rating was a BIG BIG help. Once I stopped trying to restart, my brain shifted into glider mode and that removed tons of stress. It became just another glider ride.

Recommendation to you for first flights/ Phase I testing: If you don't get a glider rating, get enough time in a glider so that landing without an engine is a not new to you.

Nuf said.

Bob

PIC_0044.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  299.32 KB
 Viewed:  11084 Time(s)

PIC_0044.jpg

LHusky

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:43 pm    Post subject: Jay Bannister - OK ? Reply with quote

Bob, any early indications of what happened to the engine? Has fuel flow or ignition been checked yet?

Thanks,

Larry Husky
Madras, Oregon

In a message dated 10/27/2009 8:25:55 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, bob(at)eaglesnestestates.org writes:
Quote:
--> Zenith-List message posted by: "BobTezyk" <bob(at)eaglesnestestates.org>

Good day all,

I was the pilot flying Jay's airplane. I was helping Jay get the testing under way. I had a detailed test plan for the flight on my clip board and I was wearing a parachute. To save time and typing to each one individually, I am including a portion of the FAA report I wrote about the incident:

"A climb was made to 3500 MSL outside of the Mode C vail. The stall series was completed and the aircraft was in level flight when the engine started to surge several times. A turn was immediately made to JWY as the engine returned to normal. About a minute later, the surges returned. At that point, tanks were switched, the other coil and fuel pump were selected. Shortly thereafter, the engine surged several times again and quit.

A plowed field was picked as the best landing spot. Attempts were made to re-start the engine 3 times with no joy. At 2500 MSL, it was determined that the plowed field could not be reached so the landing spot was switched to a pasture.  At about 500 AGL, it was noted that the pasture was terraced in the east-west direction, with the plane on a northerly heading. The decision was made to maintain the northerly heading and not make a sharp turn to the east as there was too much danger of a stall/spin condition. At about 5 AGL, the plane was slowed to stall speed and allowed to settle on the rising terraces.

The aircraft touched down on the upslope of a terrace and re-launched into the air. The re-launch took the aircraft another 10 feet further before settling down. Estimated touchdown speed was about 40 MPH.IAS. The touchdown point was on another upslope. There was no more elevator authority at this speed to keep the nose wheel off the ground at that speed. The nose wheel caught the upslope berm and bent back causing the nose to fall to the ground.

Damage sustained was minor. The cowling sheet metal was bent as was the sheet metal and rudder pedals where the nose gear pushed into the fuselage. The left wing inertia of coming to a stop pulled the rear attach fitting bolt through the attach fitting. The spinner sustained some damage being dragged through the dirt on the under side, but the propeller did not touch the ground. The ground impact was mild enough to not trigger the ELT. 

Upon coming to a stop, all power and switches were verified off and the canopy was released. The aircraft was exited and a safe distance was maintained. A walk around of the aircraft was performed and it was determined that no fuel was leaking."

If the nose wheel had not caught on the berm, there would have been no damage to the aircraft. My primary flight training kicked in automatically and I made a deliberate effort to not over control or over maneuver the airplane. My recent glider rating was a BIG BIG help. Once I stopped trying to restart, my brain shifted into glider mode and that removed tons of stress. It became just another glider ride.

Recommendation to you for first flights/ Phase I testing: If you don't get a glider rating, get enough time in a glider so that landing without an engine is a not new to you.

Nuf said.

Bob

--------
do not archive

Regards,

Bob Tezyk
N78QT - 601XL QB/ Jab3300
Working on Horizontal Stabilizer 
http://neo.datamatrix.com/eaglesnestestates/index.php?option=com_rsgallery2&amp;Itemid=32&amp;catid=23

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=269781#269781

Attachments:

http://forums.matronics.com//files/pic_0044_135.jpg
<======================== the ties Day ================================================ - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS ================================================ - List Contribution Web Site sp;   ===================================================

[quote][b]

BobTezyk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:21 am    Post subject: Re: Jay Bannister - OK ? Reply with quote

We have to wait for the insurance company to look at the airplane before we tear it apart.

sdthatcher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:39 am    Post subject: Jay Bannister - OK ? Reply with quote

Congratulations Bob on some great concentration! That had to be a tough
call to continue into a perpendicular trough but it sure paid off (as
opposed to the stall/spin scenario). Sorry about the damage Jay... it sure
sounds like it could have been worse but it's still a downer to have to
start rebuilding again. Hang in there!

Scott Thatcher
N601EL w/35 Hours

purplemoon99(at)bellsouth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: Jay Bannister - OK ? Reply with quote

A job well doneBob!!! N101HD 601XL..I sure would like to live in Texas,more in the Houston area get's tocold around Dallas Then on the other hand any place in Texas is good Eagle Nest look's Great

To: zenith-list(at)matronics.com
Sent: Wednesday, October 28, 2009 6:21:07 AM
Subject: Re: Jay Bannister - OK ?

--> Zenith-List message posted by: "BobTezyk" <bob(at)eaglesnestestates.org (bob(at)eaglesnestestates.org)>

We have to wait for the insurance company to look at the airplane before we tear it apart.

--------
do not archive

Regards,

Bob Tezyk
N78QT - 601XL QB/ Jab3300
Working on the Wings
http://neo.datamatrix.com/eaglesnestestates/index.php?option=com_rsgallery2&Itemid=32&catid=23

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=269798#269798[b]

[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: