Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yak 55 control balancing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TigerAirshows

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:46 pm    Post subject: Yak 55 control balancing Reply with quote

Yak Team,

I have just undergone a top notch paint job on my Yak 55. However as most paint shops go, a Yak 55 doesn't come through the doors very often. So balancing the flight controls of a 55M might seem foreign to them. I am just watching over them as its my butt in the seat.

1st. Aircraft was in original paint and cover. I noticed they riveted the leading edge cover of the elevator weights prior to factory paint. Which leads me to believe they balanced the tail feathers prior to paint. I have since recovered the tail feather with new Polly Fiber. I left the original weights fastened in the leading edge of the elevators. Same goes with the rudder as the original weight was reinstalled prior to paint.

A former Yak 55 show pilot gave me this advice: "careful with the elevator balance - tolerances are narrow and catastrophic flutter is likely at speeds near reline - I don't recall the parameters (it was 15 years ago) but when I repainted my YAK this was an issue that we dealt with"

So now after paint is applied I am in search for techniques/procedures to insure the controls are balanced with in limits, if there are any published.

Catastrophic flutter is not my idea of a fun day at the airport. Anyone with experience on this, is greatly appreciated.

Mark Sorenson
Tumbling Tigers
N921GRrrrrrrr
captainsorenson(at)hotmail.com

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List

SSPX0649.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  426 KB
 Viewed:  3480 Time(s)

SSPX0649.jpg

TigerAirshows

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Yak 55 control balancing Reply with quote

Fellow 55'rs,

Thanks for the replies to my balancing request. In short for those of you who are still interested, I have come to the conclusion that there are no published specs on the balance limits published for after paint for the 55M. If the factory balance weights are still installed on the Rudder and Elevator, then they should still be within design specs even after a recover and repaint.

I used the Polly Fiber cover system except for tapes. There I went the extra mile and used the Double Cover method from Kimball Enterprises (3.4oz then cover again with 1.7oz), which is most known for their seamless award winning finishes on the Pitts Model 12. I also went back to the original Russian style rib stitching as it provided the most seamless results possible. (See Attached for stitch pattern) For the ultimate finish I had Advanced Aircraft Refinishers in Griffin, GA shoot the top coats. They are award wining painters and are known for the finish on the 2007 AOPA aircraft sweepstakes plane. Its definitely the best wet look I have seen on a plane in a while and the fabric looked almost like fiberglass when completed.

For the rest of you wondering, yes the back of the prop tips are painted white. This is a formation flying technique for those who fly tight formation a lot.

Attached are the photos of the finish paint. Now off to trim which will be completed with high performance 2 mil vinyl.

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List

SSPX0658.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  620.44 KB
 Viewed:  3453 Time(s)

SSPX0658.jpg

SSPX0657.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  678.71 KB
 Viewed:  3453 Time(s)

SSPX0657.jpg

STICHING DIAG...pdf
 Description:
Russian Rib Stitch diagram

Download
 Filename:  STICHING DIAG...pdf
 Filesize:  696.14 KB
 Downloaded:  409 Time(s)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: