Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EFIS backups

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Turner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:49 pm    Post subject: EFIS backups Reply with quote

I was pretty sure I was going to go with steam gage airspeed, altimeter, plus a TruTrak ADI for EFIS backup. But now that Dynon has their D-6 for $1600, I wonder if that's a better route. I'd like to hear comments from users of either system.

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List

davidsoutpost(at)comcast.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: EFIS backups Reply with quote

Thats my plan,,,,,, with its own back-up battery power. Thats a lot cheaper and lighter than a six pack.
Dave Clifford

---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

robin1(at)mrmoisture.com

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:05 pm    Post subject: EFIS backups Reply with quote

I went with the D-100 in my panel including the battery back up making mine a 3 independent battery system. I do prefer the larger screens especially if you are placing your safety on the display.  Also I was able to eliminate the vacuum pump. After 105 hours of flying I am happy with the set up.

Robin
Quote:

image001.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  55.02 KB
 Viewed:  12093 Time(s)

image001.jpg

Kelly McMullen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:15 pm    Post subject: EFIS backups Reply with quote

Give some thought to the fact that Trutrack is not a standard EFIS.
It does not display pitch in degrees above/below horizon....and the
Dyon is. So your brain would have to switch between what the display
meant on one vs the other. I'd look long and hard at the Dyon Skyview
for primary and a D-6 for backup if you can't afford a second Skyview
screen.

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 5:49 PM, Bob Turner <bobturner(at)alum.rpi.edu> wrote:
Quote:

I was pretty sure I was going to go with steam gage airspeed, altimeter, plus a TruTrak ADI for EFIS backup. But now that Dynon has their D-6 for $1600, I wonder if that's a better route. I'd like to hear comments from users of either system.

--------
Bob Turner
RV-10 QB

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p 72375#272375

coop85(at)verizon.net

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:15 pm    Post subject: EFIS backups Reply with quote

I have the Grand Rapids display for my primary and the Dynon D10A for the backup. As mentioned I really like the idea of a 2 hour backup battery and I also carry a Garmin 496 as my backup nav, although mostly for the XM wx and radio. In the event of total electrical failure I can still aviate and navigate without the expense and hassle of the gyros. I've been very pleased so far with lots of IFR travels.

Marcus

--- On Wed, 11/11/09, davidsoutpost(at)comcast.net <davidsoutpost(at)comcast.net> wrote:
do not archive
[quote]
From: davidsoutpost(at)comcast.net <davidsoutpost(at)comcast.net>
Subject: Re: EFIS backups
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com
Date: Wednesday, November 11, 2009, 8:02 PM

#yiv1596147031 p {margin:0;} Thats my plan,,,,,, with its own back-up battery power. Thats a lot cheaper and lighter than a six pack.
Dave Clifford

---

dlm46007(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:14 pm    Post subject: EFIS backups Reply with quote

I think the main consideration of any backup flight instruments is independence. All these electronic boxes have a dependency which has to be there or it does not function normally or at all. For instance the GRT is independent of GPS but the magnetometer is required. Some EFIS systems require GPS for the PFD/MFD to give normal readings. The main concern should be having two systems with different dependencies so that any single failure of P/S air, GPS, or magnetometer does not jeopardize the safety of the aircraft. Then the only common dependency is electrical power. That can be handled by multiple batteries and power generators.

Dual Cheltons XBOW AHRS primary
GRT Sport GRT AHRS backup
Trutrak DF II VSGV second backup
Autopilot system selection switch
Single alternator, 3 (680)s primary and essential buses.

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of MARCUS COOPER
Sent: Wednesday, November 11, 2009 7:07 PM

I have the Grand Rapids display for my primary and the Dynon D10A for the backup. As mentioned I really like the idea of a 2 hour backup battery and I also carry a Garmin 496 as my backup nav, although mostly for the XM wx and radio. In the event of total electrical failure I can still aviate and navigate without the expense and hassle of the gyros. I've been very pleased so far with lots of IFR travels.

Marcus

--- On Wed, 11/11/09, davidsoutpost(at)comcast.net <davidsoutpost(at)comcast.net> wrote:
do not archive
[quote]

#yiv1596147031 P { MARGIN: 0px } Thats my plan,,,,,, with its own back-up battery power. Thats a lot cheaper and lighter than a six pack.
Dave Clifford

---

MauleDriver(at)nc.rr.com

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:29 pm    Post subject: EFIS backups Reply with quote

I opted for steam guages and the ADI though I still worry about
electromagnetic pulse (EPM). At least I'll have airspeed and altimeter...

Bill "should be building" Watson

Bob Turner wrote:
Quote:

--------
Bob Turner
RV-10 QB

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p 72375#272375

Phil.Perry(at)netapp.com

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:55 pm    Post subject: EFIS backups Reply with quote

Just thought about this….

How often do the batteries in the Dynon’s need to be replaced and are they something you could buy locally or would you have to go back to the Dynon for them?

Phil

Sent: Wednesday, November 11, 2009 8:07 PM

Marcus

do not archive
[quote]

Thats my plan,,,,,, with its own back-up battery power. Thats a lot cheaper and lighter than a six pack.

Dave Clifford

---

msausen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:58 am    Post subject: EFIS backups Reply with quote

Robin, I would argue your statement about having three independent systems.  I’m going with two Advanced Decks and a D10A for backup.  All three have their own battery and are “independent” but two normally share the same firmware, and information, so I don’t consider it as being three independent systems, really only two.

Michael

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Robin Marks
Sent: Wednesday, November 11, 2009 8:04 PM
Subject: RE: RV10-List: EFIS backups

I went with the D-100 in my panel including the battery back up making mine a 3 independent battery system. I do prefer the larger screens especially if you are placing your safety on the display. Also I was able to eliminate the vacuum pump. After 105 hours of flying I am happy with the set up.

Robin
Quote:

robin1(at)mrmoisture.com

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:17 am    Post subject: EFIS backups Reply with quote

Michael, argue away, I specifically wrote 3 independent “battery systems” not avionics systems. I can have a main or back up battery go down (not uncommon) and remain 100% functional on my panel.  I concur it’s only two avionics systems. Clearly the weak component in the set up is the loose nut behind the control stick.

Robin

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of RV Builder (Michael Sausen)
Sent: Thursday, November 12, 2009 4:56 AM

Robin, I would argue your statement about having three independent systems. I’m going with two Advanced Decks and a D10A for backup. All three have their own battery and are “independent” but two normally share the same firmware, and information, so I don’t consider it as being three independent systems, really only two.

Michael

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Robin Marks

I went with the D-100 in my panel including the battery back up making mine a 3 independent battery system. I do prefer the larger screens especially if you are placing your safety on the display. Also I was able to eliminate the vacuum pump. After 105 hours of flying I am happy with the set up.

Robin
Quote:

~ ߢ{nrf

msausen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:55 am    Post subject: EFIS backups Reply with quote

Ok, you got me there.  I was pre my morning coffee.  Smile

Michael

Sent: Thursday, November 12, 2009 8:09 AM

Michael, argue away, I specifically wrote 3 independent “battery systems” not avionics systems. I can have a main or back up battery go down (not uncommon) and remain 100% functional on my panel. I concur it’s only two avionics systems. Clearly the weak component in the set up is the loose nut behind the control stick.

Robin

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of RV Builder (Michael Sausen)
Sent: Thursday, November 12, 2009 4:56 AM

Robin, I would argue your statement about having three independent systems. I’m going with two Advanced Decks and a D10A for backup. All three have their own battery and are “independent” but two normally share the same firmware, and information, so I don’t consider it as being three independent systems, really only two.

Michael

Robin
Quote:

~

ߢ{nrf
)柢{l7rhM4Ӎ­iǜꢺށʮ'>W䮦+.ġè؀ў*&xHㄕ '�/zfޮ+-৞楮+-靅zɨ؞ �')䭩hš­wh٨曢뭆+2y썪뉸"w‑دxhʫyֲꨒWj޾mᅩ�y˫Ǩ 0i꨺Wri8^襵ꬆ$ګykymÌ)]z,rÆ^ƨKoڞn襴q
=kymÌ!g)m驲Èh殊[azZ\oڮ+- �'Y撊ך۩0¦ⲇ(��⮫bxmÌ&jڨ',rr�'᪹2稯*.z.˩�m ⢲Н)Ӆ䕗Bⲑ&j)ERǭ㚶'ˋ˅yn덪jګ룋‑j|ˮ)b'硪¢է+ʢب ܆+މ櫲肹hiރk k
‑  hyݚ硚硚ު޾mᅩ�'˜oͪjګE]t.+-۩0¦ⲇ(󚾨ї]
˿hD㈉% SPĒjg歲�Zʚi^&垬Z+k۩��kxʦ۩��kxʦ۽'k{��ᶩ

coop85(at)verizon.net

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:08 pm    Post subject: EFIS backups Reply with quote

The Dynon battery charges with normal power applied. I don't know how long they will last but have not heard of any issues requiring them to be replaced.

Marcus

--- On Wed, 11/11/09, Perry, Phil <Phil.Perry(at)netapp.com> wrote:
do not archive
[quote]
Subject: RE: EFIS backups
Date: Wednesday, November 11, 2009, 11:53 PM

How often do the batteries in the Dynon’s need to be replaced and are they something you could buy locally or would you have to go back to the Dynon for them?

Phil

Sent: Wednesday, November 11, 2009 8:07 PM

Marcus

do not archive

[quote]

Dave Clifford

---

jeff(at)westcottpress.com

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:39 pm    Post subject: EFIS backups Reply with quote

I'd like to get a little feedback on this one from Rob Hickman. My
plan is to go with dual AF4500 EEs, each with its own battery pack and
no steam gauges. I like the notion that the presentation and
operation of the two units is the same, and that would leave me with 4
independent sources of power (alternator, battery and the two battery
packs), but common firmware. Is that too many eggs in the firmware
basket? Perhaps the best approach here is to upgrade the firmware one
at a time, to minimize the chance of "dual surprises."

Jeff Carpenter

dlm46007(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:07 pm    Post subject: EFIS backups Reply with quote

After 30 years in the computer software business, I don't wish to be
dependent on two copies of the same hardware and software for flight safety.
I don't know the AFS system or what its dependency is; I do know that in my
Glastar (with partial panel round gauges) the GRT sport has on two occasions
decided to freeze. The problems were described to me as hardware but as an
end user I don't care where the problem lies; I just need to control the
aircraft whether VMC or IMC. Perhaps the EFIS manufacturers should answer "
what minimum sensor inputs are required for your system to function in
normal and/or degraded mode?"

--

jkreidler

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: EFIS backups Reply with quote

We do have steam gauge backups. The reason being if one of the EFIS boxes started to give bad information, how do you know which one is wrong? With steam gauges you can always do some crosschecks to figure out what is going wrong. So I guess I worry more about the gradual failures, like when a DG goes bad, more than the abrupt blank screens. Failures are stressful enough, when your at minimums. Do you really want to try and figure out if you pitot is frozen, or you static is blocked. Or would you rather figure out if you pitot is frozen, or your static is blocked, or if the software is bad, or if the display is bad, or if the alternator is bad, or if the battery is dead, or, repeat the list for the backup EFIS....

This is not an easy decision, and I can easily see both sides. Just one guys opinion, thank god we all get to build our own.

Jason Kreidler
(4) Partner Build - Sheboygan Falls WI
N44YH - Flying

marcausman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: EFIS backups Reply with quote

On my all-electric airplane, I replace the main battery and EFIS backup battery every two years to make sure they are always in top condition. YMMV.

Phil.Perry(at)netapp.com wrote:

Phil

marcausman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: EFIS backups Reply with quote

Jeff, just to clarify, are you assuming the alternator will provide power if the battery goes off-line? I don't know your specifics, but the most common voltage regulators require a battery to be connected to "stabilize" the voltage. If your battery wire comes loose, for example, the voltage will likely start to quickly destabilize until the the over-voltage protection disables the alternator. Then you're left with just the EFIS backup battery. The caveat is that each of us has a unique airplane so your results may be different depending on the components you are using.

jeff(at)westcottpress.com wrote:
I like the notion that the presentation and
operation of the two units is the same, and that would leave me with 4
independent sources of power (alternator, battery and the two battery
packs), but common firmware. ."

Jeff Carpenter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: