Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mark III Classic at sea level

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
apilot(at)surewest.net

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:14 pm    Post subject: Mark III Classic at sea level Reply with quote

Finally, have N4201G stored and flying at sea level near Sacramento. The Geo engine is unbelieveably powerful and my cruise seems to be close to 70mph at 5000rpms wide open throttle. It takes 14 degrees of pitch at the tip of my Ivo 3-blade. I would like to add more pitch, but do not want to get the tips into a stall mod and create drag. By the way, my 72" dia prop has been cut to 70" dia. Soon, I will try it all at 16 degrees of pitch and see if the cruise speed is faster and the wide open throttle is limited to about 4700rpm.
Vic near Sacramento

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
mdnanwelch7(at)hotmail.co

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject: Mark III Classic at sea level Reply with quote

> Finally C have N4201G stored and flying at sea level near Sacramento. The Geo engine is >unbelieveably powerful and my cruise seems to be close to 70mph at 5000rpms wide open >throttle. It takes 14 degrees of pitch at the tip of my Ivo 3-blade. I would like to add >more pitch C but do not want to get the tips into a stall mod and create drag. By the way C >my 72" dia prop has been cut to 70" dia. Soon C I will try it all at 16 degrees of pitch and >see if the cruise speed is faster and the wide open throttle is limited to about 4700rpm.
Quote:
Vic near Sacramento

Hi Vic C

When you describe the pitch on your IvoProp C you sound as if it is manually adjusted.  Going from 14 degrees to 16 degrees C etc C etc C have you ever turned the blades all the way to "max" to find out what the maximum pitch is?
  The reason I ask is C as you know C I've installed my own turbocharger (on my GEO 3 cylinder 1.0L engine).  From what I understand from some GEO guys that know a heckava lot more than me C they believe the HP range may be up around 95-100 now (with all the mods). 
  What I'm getting at is; do you think I'll be able to crank the pitch on my 3 blade 70" Ivoprop w/ elec in-flight adjustment C enough??  In other words C will our prop handle a 100 HP engine?
  Wuddayathink??

Mike Welch
MkIII CX GEO turbo

Windows LiveT Hotmail is faster and more secure than ever. Learn more. [quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

apilot(at)surewest.net

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:59 am    Post subject: Mark III Classic at sea level Reply with quote

Will our Ivo props handle 100 hp? I really do not know. Ivo may have the answer, but my opinion is that a prop needs more width to use more horsepower. My Ivo is sort of narrow and very smooth. Give Ivo a call and see what they say. Vic

Jason Omelchuck

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Mark III Classic at sea level Reply with quote

IVO has 3 models of Props. Ultralight, Medium and Magnum. 100 HP is right on the edge between a Ultralight and Medium. I would use a Medium.

Regards
Jason
MKIII Yamaha powered
Portland,OR

apilot(at)surewest.net wrote:
Will our Ivo props handle 100 hp? I really do not know. Ivo may have the answer, but my opinion is that a prop needs more width to use more horsepower. My Ivo is sort of narrow and very smooth. Give Ivo a call and see what they say. Vic

mdnanwelch7(at)hotmail.co

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:33 am    Post subject: Mark III Classic at sea level Reply with quote

Hi Jason C

I already have a prop.  I got it long before I installed my turbocharger.

Yeah C I check the IvoProp website C too.  You're right C 100HP is at the upper edge of the U/L model.  If I were going to buy one C maybe I'd aim for the medium model C but I've had this U/L model Ivoprop for years C and ain'ta 'bout to change it out now.

If the prop can handle 100Hp C and my engine will be lucky to make that much power C it's good enough for me.  Thanks for the input C tho...

Mike Welch
MkIII CX

Quote:
Subject: Re: Mark III Classic at sea level
Date: Wed C 9 Dec 2009 08:29:35 -0800
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com

--> Kolb-List message posted by: "Jason Omelchuck" <jason(at)trek-tech.com>

IVO has 3 models of Props. Ultralight C Medium and Magnum. 100 HP is right on the edge between a Ultralight and Medium. I would use a Medium.

Regards
Jason
MKIII Yamaha powered
Portland COR

apilot(at)surewest.net wrote:
> Will our Ivo props handle 100 hp? I really do not know. Ivo may have the answer C but my opinion is that a prop needs more width to use more horsepower. My Ivo is sort of narrow and very smooth. Give Ivo a call and see what they say. Vic

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=276832#276832

========================>

[quote]

Windows Live Hotmail gives you a free Cexclusive gift. Click here to download.
Quote:
[b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: