Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CO Again

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cpayne(at)joimail.com

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:37 pm    Post subject: CO Again Reply with quote

Threads on CO will never subside until the fix is found. My efforts only mitigate the problem, as do extra fresh air ports, masks, etc.

Has anyone measured CO level in one of those side exhaust setups where most of the fumes end up over the wing rather than under it? surely there is less gas egress into the wheel wells.

Seems like side exhaust, gapless rings, high compression piston, auto plugs, fuel injection, etc. ought to lessen CO as well as make the CJ-6 really fast with those Big bad 3-blade props that cost big $$. What chance would a little 2-blade have against all that money???

Inquiring minds want to know....

Craig Payne

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
yakjock(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:30 pm    Post subject: CO Again Reply with quote

On my old CJ I added 5" extensions onto the stacks and that reduced the smell of exhaust in the cockpit quite a bit. If I had kept the airplane I would have modified the stacks to lead aft and then changed the lower cowling to be able to get it off and on around the stacks.

The Sukhoi style stacks on the new CJ went straight down for about 12". There was less exhaust in the cockpit but trim and performance sucked. When I cut them off the trim improved dramatically and I gained 11 knots. Got the smoke back too.

When we put Bill Blackwell's side stacks on, the exhaust smell almost completely went away - including using smoke both level and when pulling (my cabin air comes from a NACA mounted well out under the port wing). The only time I smell exhaust is when taxiing downwind. (The CHTs also went down, engine feels stronger and I picked up a bit of speed).

Craig, the three-blades have a place as do the two. The first time I flew the CJ with the MT FW-190 style three-blade both Tom Elliott and I were on board (that's a substantial bunch of "live" weight) - the plane accelerated quickly and climbed like a homesick tractor at more than 2,500 fpm. However, before we cleaned the draggy stuff up Tom would walk past me in his stock 285 CJ at cruise. Now that my plane is cleaned up a bit I probably have a small advantage as I have a power advantage of about 100 horsepower. However, I don't think that the big three-bladed props are as good in cruise as the good two-bladed props are.

BTW, we discovered (expensively, of course) that louvers that extend outside of the airplane create drag and are not very good at sucking out air; the louvers that are inside the skin do better. Secondly, round all of the edges - sharp edges cause turbulence and drag.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

ronwasson

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:12 pm    Post subject: CO Again Reply with quote

I had a reverse scoop made for the panel on the center fuel tank. Made big difference but made the cockpit colder. Low pressure behind the scoop suck air out big time. Had it off and on several times and you can tell a difference

On Dec 10, 2009, at 3:28 PM, Hal Morley wrote:

Quote:

On my old CJ I added 5" extensions onto the stacks and that reduced the smell of exhaust in the cockpit quite a bit. If I had kept the airplane I would have modified the stacks to lead aft and then changed the lower cowling to be able to get it off and on around the stacks.

The Sukhoi style stacks on the new CJ went straight down for about 12". There was less exhaust in the cockpit but trim and performance sucked. When I cut them off the trim improved dramatically and I gained 11 knots. Got the smoke back too.

When we put Bill Blackwell's side stacks on, the exhaust smell almost completely went away - including using smoke both level and when pulling (my cabin air comes from a NACA mounted well out under the port wing). The only time I smell exhaust is when taxiing downwind. (The CHTs also went down, engine feels stronger and I picked up a bit of speed).

Craig, the three-blades have a place as do the two. The first time I flew the CJ with the MT FW-190 style three-blade both Tom Elliott and I were on board (that's a substantial bunch of "live" weight) - the plane accelerated quickly and climbed like a homesick tractor at more than 2,500 fpm. However, before we cleaned the draggy stuff up Tom would walk past me in his stock 285 CJ at cruise. Now that my plane is cleaned up a bit I probably have a small advantage as I have a power advantage of about 100 horsepower. However, I don't think that the big three-bladed props are as good in cruise as the good two-bladed props are.

BTW, we discovered (expensively, of course) that louvers that extend outside of the airplane create drag and are not very good at sucking out air; the louvers that are inside the skin do better. Secondly, round all of the edges - sharp edges cause turbulence and drag.

IMG_1440.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  2.69 MB
 Viewed:  1737 Time(s)

IMG_1440.JPG

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: