Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

G3i Ignition
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
N777TY

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: G3i Ignition Reply with quote

It doesn't advance... Straight from the source:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=40666
You draw your own conclusions from that.. Smile

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List

cjay

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: G3i Ignition Reply with quote

OK,

making some progress on the debate, we know it doesn't advance timing.

Does it dispel their fundamental claims, however?;
efficiency
smoother engine
fuel saving
horsepower

Anyone have experience?

cjay

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Kelly McMullen

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject: G3i Ignition Reply with quote

It likely does make engine smoother with stronger sparks. Doubtful it
does much for fuel savings, and very doubtful it makes any difference
on horsepower. However, it probably makes running LOP more feasible
with consistent and strong sparks. If you like having capacitive
discharge multiple sparks, with magneto backup, certainly reasonable
way to go. If you can't advance the timing when running at 75% and
below, you aren't going to gain horsepower nor economy from that
aspect, but you may be able to gain it by running LOP and adding
manifold pressure to reach 75% on the lean side of peak. If you can
achieve 13 gph lean of peak you will be at 195 hp and scooting as fast
as Van intended on minimum fuel.

On Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 1:36 PM, cjay <cgfinney(at)yahoo.com> wrote:
Quote:

OK,

making some progress on the debate, we know it doesn't advance timing.

Does it dispel their fundamental claims, however?;
efficiency
smoother engine
fuel saving
horsepower

Anyone have experience?

cjay

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p 77442#277442

G3i Ignition

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: G3i Ignition Reply with quote

OK guys, you left me out on this topic.

This forum topic was brought up earlier today during a phone conversation so I thought I would take a look. A little confusion, however not to bad. First of all there are a lot of good facts here and some that might need a little more insight.
!) Does the G3i advance the timing beyond the magneto trigger point’s signal (NO)
2) Does it have an option to control timing (YES) manually?
2) Is it necessary to advance the timing on a multiple spark discharge system in aircraft use? (NO) Here’s why, the engine’s operating RPM has very small window, 2100 - 2700, not like in an automobile of 700 – 5000 rpm. When there is a small RPM operating range optimal performance and economy can be obtained with fixed timing. There is not much to gain by driving the timing all over the place. Are there benefits to advancing the timing on a SINGLE spark system? (YES) Only at lower power settings (60% or less) and higher than 12,500ft. This is a quote from Unison/ Lasar. With the understanding flame propagation here’s why. There's X amount of air/fuel mixture that goes into the cylinder creates X amount of btu. When flame travel is slow you need to ramp up the ignition timing on a SINGLE spark system to get achieve a complete burn (at) peak cylinder pressure. Now with a non advancing MULTIPLE spark discharge system with same amount of air/fuel, same amount of btu’s are created, however this done in a shorter window of time from the multiple spark ignition of the air/fuel mixture to get that complete burn. Just happens quicker. As far as the air/fuel mixture in the aircraft engine, it has a very poor atomization so multiple spark discharge just does a better job then a single spark system.
3) Field tested and testimonials show that fuel economy is improved 8 to 14% and static dyno pulls have shown an average 2 –5% in power gains with stock timing configurations.
There are many more benefits that the G3i system offers and we are always open to any discussion or questions pertaining to aircraft ignition systems or engine management peripherals.
Thanks for all your interest in the G3i system

Thomas Shpakow
www.g3ignition.com

Kellym

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:44 pm    Post subject: G3i Ignition Reply with quote

Hmmm, color me skeptical.
Here's why. The vast majority of auto applications for 6 and 8 cyl
engines with automatic transmissions operate between 1500 and 3000 rpm
90 percent of the time, not much different than aircraft (unless you are
a real leadfoot). Their ignition systems are also optimized for peak
torque in that same range with advanced timing. Now electronic, used to
be mechanical and vacuum advance. Aircraft didn't incorporate mechanical
or vacuum advance mechanisms because the manufacturers wanted to avoid
additional potential points of failure, not because it wouldn't add
power and efficiency. Efficiency wasn't a goal when the majority of
engines were certified. Oh, and Unison DID show power and efficiency
gains at normal altitudes and cruise power settings by advancing the timing.
As for #3, I'd love to see some independent test data on the claimed
power increases and fuel economy. Testimonials are a dime a dozen and
worth less than said dime. Just been working long enough on auto and
aircraft engines to have seen just about every fuel and ignition system
marketed in the last 40 years. Can count on 1 hand the products that
actually delivered even 50% of your claimed improvement.
KM
A&P/IA
EAA Tech Counselor
sc_acro2 wrote:
Quote:

OK guys, you left me out on this topic.
Here’s why, the engine’s RPM operating is very small window 2100 -

2700, not like in an automobile 700 – 5000 rpm. When there is a small
RPM operating range optimal performance and economy can be obtained with
fixed timing. There is not much to gain by driving the timing all over
the place. Are there benefits to advancing the timing on a SINGLE spark
system? Only at low power settings (60% or less) and higher than
12,500ft. This is a quote from Unison/ Lasar. With the understanding
flame propagation here’s why. X amount of air fuel mixture goes into
the cylinder creates X amount of btu. When flame travel is slow you need
to ramp up the ignition timing on a SINGLE spark system to get that
complete burn (at) peak cylinder pressure. Now with a non advancing
MULTABLE spark discharge system with same amount of fuel, same amount of
btu’s created, however this done in a shorte!
Quote:
r window of time from the multiple spark ignition of the air fuel mixture to get that complete burn. Just happens quicker. As far as air fuel mixture in aircraft engine, it is very poor atomization so multiple spark discharge just does a better job then a single spark system.
3) Field tested and testimonials show that fuel economy is improved 8 to 14% and static dyno pulls have shown an average 2 –5% in power gains with stock timing configurations.
There are many more benefits that the G3i system offers and we are always open to any discussion or questions pertaining to aircraft ignition systems or engine management peripherals.
Thanks for all your interest in the G3i system

Thomas Shpakow
www.g3ignition.com

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p 77572#277572

G3i Ignition

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: G3i Ignition Reply with quote

Kelly,
These are great debates! However, it’s unfortunate that you did get the chance to stop by our booth in KOSH this year. We will be there next year 2010. If you get the chance, please stop by and meet us. Check out our products first hand. Hopefully some day you will get the opportunity to meet and or fly with one of our customers who has installed one of our systems to experience the benefits first hand. Until then, I hope to meet you someday and have a wonderful Holiday.
Thomas Shpakow
www.g3ignition.com

Andy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: G3i Ignition Reply with quote

Hi guys,
I'm one of the people that installed the G3 unit on an aircraft racing engine. It really does improve the fuel consumption (if you adjust the fuel to do so!). What I noticed was the ability to run the engine at settings that would otherwise shut the powerplant down when running on normal magnetos (without doing so when G3 was running). The G3 seems to be able to make use of the fuel much more effectively. It caught our team off guard at first (after performing a mag check in the air prior to landing -she quit on straight magnetos), but later realized that the range of adjustment had increased very considerably. It can go both ways. You can over-richen or lean to the extreme before roughness starts to sprout up. I'm a magneto guy by trade, so I'm naturally a bit cautious about seeing mags go bye bye to EI, but this one does plenty of good, without giving up my nice, old wind-up toy mags. As far as performance, we did better than we've ever done at the races. When on the ground, prior to installing the G3, the engine would not run above 2300 (on a good day). After: a cold engine, same prop, G3 on, the engine wound up to 3000 rpm with the tail chained down. Scary improvement. Its staying on the aircraft!
I'm looking forward to a truly independent, scientific battle of the ignitions. Best bang for the buck in my personal opinion, but I'm anxious to see it tested by several leaders in the experimental industry. -Andy Exclamation

Bob Turner

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: G3i Ignition Reply with quote

Thomas, a question:

If the system works as advertised (quicker burn due to multiple ignitions) is there a danger of too much of a good thing? Specifically, on full power take-offs, could the peak temperatures and pressures exceed design limits, and push detonation limits?

G3i Ignition

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: G3i Ignition Reply with quote

Hello Bob,
No there is not an issue with pre-ignition/ detonation and cylinder pressure limits because the first spark is still at the predetermined timing, etc 25btc. The following sparks after that first hit continues with the air/fuel burn process. Cylinder temps can even run a little cooler because of the length of the combustion time is slightly shorter. Power and air/fuel management still creates an X amount of BTU’s created in the cylinder with or without an EI. RPM. power settings, ignition timing, compression ratio, etc do play their roles in harmony or self-destruct.

Thomas Shpakow
www.g3igniton.com

N28KT engine.JPG
 Description:
Just a pic of my Ride's engine
 Filesize:  110.23 KB
 Viewed:  9110 Time(s)

N28KT  engine.JPG

cjay

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: G3i Ignition Reply with quote

sc_acro2 wrote:
Hello Bob,
No there is not an issue with pre-ignition/ detonation and cylinder pressure limits because the first spark is still at the predetermined timing, etc 25btc. The following sparks after that first hit continues with the air/fuel burn process. Cylinder temps can even run a little cooler because of the length of the combustion time is slightly shorter. Power and air/fuel management still creates an X amount of BTU’s created in the cylinder with or without an EI. RPM. power settings, ignition timing, compression ratio, etc do play their roles in harmony or self-destruct.

Thomas Shpakow
www.g3igniton.com

So Jesse,

You asked the question. Why don't you give it a try and tell the rest of us, what you think.

cjay

jesse(at)saintaviation.co

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:50 am    Post subject: G3i Ignition Reply with quote

I'm planning to.

do not archive

Jesse Saint
Saint Aviation, Inc.
jesse(at)saintaviation.com
Cell: 352-427-0285
Fax: 815-377-3694

Quote:

So Jesse,

You asked the question. Why don't you give it a try and tell the rest of us, what you think.

cjay

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: