Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GNS 430

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tim2542(at)sbcglobal.net

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:01 pm    Post subject: GNS 430 Reply with quote

I have a couple of questions re: the installation of a Garmin 430W. There are 7 separate power connections on the back of this unit. Two are labeled COMM, 1 “super flag” and the rest are labeled MAIN. There is nothing in the manual re: this other than the electrical load figures. What is common practice on these, 1 10 amp fuse & ganged together? I’m able to see the loads for the MAIN & COMM circuits so they could be fused separately.

The second question is re: the “super flag”, what is it? It shows as optional. I will not be using an indicator other than the GRT Horizons. Which by the way have a similar issue, that is 3 separate power inputs, which I understand from the manual how they work, but with an E bus and Brown out Batt. (Z-10/Cool I think these will all be ganged together at the E-Bus fuse.

There will be an Avionics master or at least an EFIS master as these units have no on/off switch, and GRT asks for one. I believe they would be protected anyway with Z-10/8 but I want to be able to shut down a misbehaving EFIS if needed.

Thanks
Tim Andres
[quote][b]

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
schu(at)schu.net

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:44 pm    Post subject: GNS 430 Reply with quote

Tim Andres wrote:
Quote:
I have a couple of questions re: the installation of a Garmin 430W.
There are 7 separate power connections on the back of this unit. Two are
labeled COMM, 1 “super flag” and the rest are labeled MAIN. There is
nothing in the manual re: this other than the electrical load figures.
What is common practice on these, 1 10 amp fuse & ganged together? I’m
able to see the loads for the MAIN & COMM circuits so they could be
fused separately.

I just got my 430W from Steinair. They made up power harnesses where
P4002 has pins 11-12 ganged together to a single 18AWG wire and P4001
where pins 15,19,20,71 where all ganged together to a single 22AWG wire.
I'm planning tying those together on the e-bus.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful, I'm just now sorting this out myself.

schu

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

rnewman(at)tcwtech.com

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:59 am    Post subject: GNS 430 Reply with quote

Tim,

The power inputs marked Aircraft Power 1 , P4001 pin 19,20 provide power to all the functions of the 430W except the comm radio and the super flag outputs, powering these inputs brings the GPS to life.

The power inputs marked Aircraft Power 2, P4001 pin 15,72 are a redunant set of power inputs that do the same as aircraft power 1, these inputs are recommend for use with a second source of power to keep the gps system up and running in the event of loss of power on aircraft power 1. Also these inputs may be used with a product such as the TCW technologies IPS series of products that provide brown out protection down to 5 volts of bus voltage. see www.tcwtech.com to learn about these products.

The power inputs marked Aircraft Power (comm) P4002 pin 11,12 provide power only to the communitcation radio.

The power input marked Aircraft Power ( Nav super flags) P4006 pin 44 provides the power to drive the nav flags if you are separately driving various nav indicators connected to P4006 pin 15, 38 for vor/loc and glideslope. If you are not adding any separate indicators here then no power is required on this pin.

hope this helps,

Bob Newman
TCW Technologies, LLC.
www.tcwtech.com

[quote] ---

Allen Fulmer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:03 pm    Post subject: GNS 430 Reply with quote

Quote:
-- Tim said:-- There will be an Avionics master or at least an EFIS master as these units have no-- on/off switch, and GRT asks for one. I believe they would be protected anyway with-- Z-10/8 but I want to be able to shut down a misbehaving EFIS if needed. I too decided to put a DPDT switch on DU1 and 2 (each controls its respective AHRS)and a SPDT switch on DU3 (since no AHRS to control). I just did not like seeing all those screens come up every time I flipped the master switches on. So my MO would be to turn on the EIS and Master Switches while starting the engine and then turn on the EFIS/AHRS as needed. I have also noticed that the GTX337 transponder cannot be set to remain off when power is supplied. It will remain in the standby position but, once again, when I am playing and fiddling around I just hate to see it go up and down unnecessarily. Haven’t decided on a switch for it or not. The PMA8000B and the 430W can be turned on with their own on/off switches.-- There will be an Avionics master or at least an EFIS master as these units have no
Quote:
-- There will be an Avionics master or at least an EFIS master as these units have no
Quote:
-- There will be an Avionics master or at least an EFIS master as these units have no
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

Alexander City, AL
n81jg(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:11 am    Post subject: GNS 430 Reply with quote

H
[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: