Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brake reservoirs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV8-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jrpike(at)btinternet.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:25 pm    Post subject: Brake reservoirs Reply with quote

Has anyone fitted the A600 individual pedal mounted brake reservoirs
from Aircraft Spruce in place of the firewall mounted reservoir? If
so, I'd love to hear from you with any service experience to support
the modification approval process we have to go through here in the
UK. Do they do the job as intended? Are there any issues with them?
How resolved? etc.

Many thanks,

Richard Pike
(finishing)

- The Matronics RV8-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV8-List
donkeyvet(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:35 pm    Post subject: Brake reservoirs Reply with quote

Richard,
I put those reservoirs on my 8 and they were easy to install and problem free. I suppose the only issues that could arise would relate to where the final placement of the the pedals are in relation to the firewall. They could possibly contact the firewall if the pedals were in the forwardmost position and you placed the pedals leaning forward. Not the case on my plane and I'm 6 ft tall. Filling the break lines from the bottom up into the reservoirs was a little tedious using a mirror to check the levels as the fluid filled the reservoir and getting all of the bubbles out, but presumably if the system is leak free it will be the last time I do that for a while. I guess you could also overfill the reservoir to where fluid would spill out when tilted. I guess I'm just trying to think of possible problems you could encounter but actually I had no problems. All in all it wasn't too bad and they have been trouble free. I'm glad I did it. It seems a little more elegant than all of those plastic tubes and connections. I don't remember what I used to seal the threads. It might have been pro-seal or maybe teflon tape. Hope that helps!

Dennis Flosi
El Paso, Texas
80 hours on Hobbs

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

mkejrj(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:24 am    Post subject: Brake reservoirs Reply with quote

Hi Richard,
I installed the pedal reservoirs on my RV 8 and would recommend them to you. The advantages are an easier installation & a reduction in compexity by eliminating feeder tubes,etc.

The only problem I noted was that it is very difficult to service the reservoirs ( add fluid ) in the 8. I solved this problem by cutting the baggage compartment floor above the pedals to provide access. The cut runs fore and aft and bisects the floor. I constructed a lap joint over the cut with .032' Al. and rivited same to the starboard section of the floor. The new lap joint is attached to the existing floor with 3 screws / nutplates. The starboard floor area is easily removable and provides quick access.

One could argue that you could remove the entire baggage floor to access the area in question. In my installation I have a my Blue Mountain CPU ,with all it's associated wiring , mounted on the port side and it's a bear to remove. On reflection I would recommend the access as defined above, even if the floor was open, since it is easily removed to access the system.

Dick Jordan
N888BZ
" Sticky Stuff "

---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV8-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: