Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yet another priming question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV8-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cs(at)charlesstringham.co

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:31 am    Post subject: Yet another priming question Reply with quote

Hi Fellow RVers,
Does anyone have experience with Tempo zinc phosphate aerosol primer for internal priming? Tempo's zinc chromate aerosol primer is listed in the RV-8 construction manual as being an acceptable priming option. Apparently Tempo no longer makes the chromate, and says that phosphate is the new equivalent. It sounded like a great way to go, given that I can prime my parts individually with a can primer. I tested it first on some scrap 2024 T3. I scuffed the surface with Scotch Bright, then cleaned with MEK. Then I applied a light coat of Tempo. But, 48 hours later, I was able to remove the primer by lightly running my finger nail over the surface; there was almost no adhesion. Did I do something wrong? I don't need to use Alumiprep if I use Scotch Bright, do I? What about SEM self-etching aerosol primer? Does anyone know anything about that?
Thanks, Chet Stringham

- The Matronics RV8-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV8-List
colm.oreilly(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:41 am    Post subject: Yet another priming question Reply with quote

I had a similar issue with using a non self-etch aerosol primer.

I would recommend alumiprep, then alodine, then the primer, the
alodine is the conversion coating that gives you better adhesion.

Alternatively, you may get good results with your scotch-briting and
then an aerosol 'self-etch' primer.

Even with scotch briting, you may want either alumi or metal prep or a
'self-etch' to take care of any traces of oil/grease on the surface.

Colm

On Jan 3, 2010, at 12:30, "cs(at)charlesstringham.com" <cs(at)charlesstringham.com
> wrote:

Quote:

>

Hi Fellow RVers,
Does anyone have experience with Tempo zinc phosphate aerosol primer
for internal priming? Tempo's zinc chromate aerosol primer is listed
in the RV-8 construction manual as being an acceptable priming
option. Apparently Tempo no longer makes the chromate, and says that
phosphate is the new equivalent. It sounded like a great way to go,
given that I can prime my parts individually with a can primer. I
tested it first on some scrap 2024 T3. I scuffed the surface with
Scotch Bright, then cleaned with MEK. Then I applied a light coat of
Tempo. But, 48 hours later, I was able to remove the primer by
lightly running my finger nail over the surface; there was almost no
adhesion. Did I do something wrong? I don't need to use Alumiprep
if I use Scotch Bright, do I? What about SEM self-etching aerosol
primer? Does anyone know anything about that?
Thanks, Chet Stringham

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Speedy11(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:00 pm    Post subject: Yet another priming question Reply with quote

OH - good fun - another primer war!

Chet, I used several primers. I sprayed primer on the entire inside of the fuselage using several brands of self-etching primers. I sprayed the fuselage using a spray gun and a gallon of self-etching primer. I used a fresh air ventilator while doing it. Then I primed other parts using rattle can self-etching primers. The SEM worked fine and is readily available. I scuffed first with scotchbrite then cleaned the metal with Dupont 210 cleaner or with MEK. In one case I did not get good adhesion so I stripped the parts and scotchbrited them again and reprimed. The second time held.
There is a lot of opinion about whether to prime and how much and what type primer. So, I'm just telling you what I did. We'll know in 35 or 40 years whether or not my efforts were worthwhile. By that time, the internet will have been replaced by mental telepathy - so send me your thoughts at that time.
I recommend priming any unprimed parts with self etching primer after cleaning with some type of metal cleaner to remove body oils and other contaminants.
You may want to check with the paint shop you plan to use (or a professional painter) to make sure the primer you use is compatible with the planned top coat paint.
Good luck and thanks for starting the primer wars again. They're entertaining.
Stan Sutterfield
www.rv-8a.net
Do not archive
Quote:
Hi Fellow RVers,
Does anyone have experience with Tempo zinc phosphate aerosol primer for internal
priming? Tempo's zinc chromate aerosol primer is listed in the RV-8 construction
manual as being an acceptable priming option. Apparently Tempo no longer
makes the chromate, and says that phosphate is the new equivalent. It sounded
like a great way to go, given that I can prime my parts individually with a can
primer. I tested it first on some scrap 2024 T3. I scuffed the surface with
Scotch Bright, then cleaned with MEK. Then I applied a light coat of Tempo. But,
48 hours later, I was able to remove the primer by lightly running my finger
nail over the surface; there was almost no adhesion. Did I do something wrong?
I don't need to use Alumiprep if I use Scotch Bright, do I? What about SEM
self-etching aerosol primer? Does anyone know anything about that?
Thanks, Chet Stringham

[quote][b]

Jerry Grimmonpre'

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:39 am    Post subject: Yet another priming question Reply with quote

Dear Listers ...

"For What It's Worth Dept",

Two years ago my son zero timed a straight tail Cessna 172 built in 1956. Cessna blew NO paint, on the inside of that critter, when built. The protection Cessna relied on was Alclad. There was NO corrosion on the inside of the empanage, wings or tail feathers. There was a bit of surface corrosion on the cockpit side of the root rib and that was it. The airplane had been owned by a group of United pilots who never hangared the airplane for years.

Regards ... Jerry
[quote] ---

dan.pat.b(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:43 pm    Post subject: Yet another priming question Reply with quote

Hi All:More re priming from the "for-what-it's-worth" department:
My RV-7A has been flying since early August 09 after 6 1/2 years of construction time.  I primed all aluminum surfaces not destined for finish painting with Sherwin - Williams industrial wash primer.  I worked all surfaces over thoroughly with Scotch Brite pads and cleaned them with lacquer thinner prior to 
spraying with an el cheapo spray gun.  I used a good quality 3M respirator and plenty of fresh air ventilation with box fans.  (If I ever build another airplane I'll buy myself a fresh air respirator.)   For occasional spraying of small and odd parts I used the same prep technique and a Sherwin Williams rattle can primer.  It worked fine.  I'm glad I primed and would do it again, but I'll be the first to admit, it was a lot of work and drudgery.  How effective is it in preventing/delaying corrosion?  I don't honestly know and will let others debate the issue.

Dan Bergeron
RV-7A - N307TB
76 hours since 08/04/09 and flying beautifully   

On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 10:15 AM, Jerry Grimmonpre <jerry(at)mc.net (jerry(at)mc.net)> wrote:
[quote] Dear Listers ...

"For What It's Worth Dept",

Two years ago my son zero timed a straight tail Cessna 172 built in 1956.  Cessna blew NO paint, on the inside of that critter, when built.  The protection Cessna relied on was Alclad.  There was NO corrosion on the inside of the empanage, wings or tail feathers.  There was a bit of surface corrosion on the cockpit side of the root rib and that was it.  The airplane had been owned by a group of United pilots who never hangared the airplane for years. 

Regards ... Jerry
[quote] ---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV8-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: