Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

582 fuel system
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
capt_riney(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:07 am    Post subject: 582 fuel system Reply with quote

I've got a series or parallel question about installing a facet boost pump. I'm planning on intalling a facet pump between my fuel tank and the he mikuni engine pump. I'm doing it in series just to keep it simple. If the facet fails it should still flow thru so the mikuni will be able to draw fuel from the tank. But what if the mikuni fails? Will it flow thru and allow the boost pump fuel to get to the carbs? Those of you with similar systems I'd appreciate your advice.

Mark Rinehart

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
John Hauck

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:05 am    Post subject: 582 fuel system Reply with quote

> I've got a series or parallel question about installing a facet boost
pump. I'm planning on intalling a facet pump between my fuel tank and the
he mikuni engine pump. I'm doing it in series just to keep it simple. If
the facet fails it should still flow thru so the mikuni will be able to draw
fuel from the tank. But what if the mikuni fails? Will it flow thru and
allow the boost pump fuel to get to the carbs? Those of you with similar
systems I'd appreciate your advice.
Quote:

Mark Rinehart

Mike R/Gang:

You'll get all kinds of responses to this one.

I started using two mikuni fuel pumps on my first Kolb, an Ultrastar. The
Cuyuna ULII02 had two crank case pressure ports, one for each cylinder. I
ran the Mikunis, one off each port, in series.

Used a back up Facet Electronic boost pump in my 447 powered Firestar
plumbed in series with excellent results. The Mikuni pulled fuel through
the Facet when the Facet was shut down, normally at all times except during
take off, landing, and low level flight.

For the last 3,000 hours (minus 12) I have used a Facet and Mikuni or engine
driven pump plumbed in series on my MKIII with no problems encountered.

Usually, if a Mikuni pulse pump fails, it will be one of two little ears on
the diaphragm that serve as the intake and outlet valves. I know of no
Mikuni diaphragm that has failed to allow fuel to be pumped through it and
outside the pump.

I like the fuel pump plumbed in series. Works for me.

You'll have to choose which way you want to go.

john h
mkIII

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Titus, Alabama
tclongo(at)att.net

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:11 am    Post subject: 582 fuel system Reply with quote

Yes it will, the Mikuni will flow through if it fails to pump also and let
the boost pump keep you flying.

--

winmail.dat
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  winmail.dat
 Filesize:  2.77 KB
 Downloaded:  282 Time(s)

Dana

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:20 am    Post subject: 582 fuel system Reply with quote

At 12:05 PM 1/13/2010, mark rinehart wrote:
Quote:
--> Kolb-List message posted by: mark rinehart <capt_riney(at)yahoo.com>

I've got a series or parallel question about installing a facet boost pump. I'm planning on intalling a facet pump between my fuel tank and the he mikuni engine pump. I'm doing it in series just to keep it simple. If the facet fails it should still flow thru so the mikuni will be able to draw fuel from the tank. But what if the mikuni fails? Will it flow thru and allow the boost pump fuel to get to the carbs? Those of you with similar systems I'd appreciate your advice.

If the Mikuni pump's check valves fail, the boost pump will pump fuel through the pump and keep the engine running. OTOH, if the Mikuni's diaphragm fails, the boost pump will pump fuel back up the pulse line and fill the crankcase.

-Dana
--
No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message. However, a rather large number of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced. [quote][b]

mdnanwelch7(at)hotmail.co

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:09 am    Post subject: 582 fuel system Reply with quote

Mark and Kolb guys C

I'm curious.  I don't have much experience with diaphram pumps and all C but it seems odd to want to design a series fuel pumping system.  I mean C I know a series system would work great and all....but how would you know you lost one of the pumps C if the other pump can do all the work? 
  Let's say C for example C the last flight you had C your primary pump blew out C and the backup kept you flying C how would you know???  You'd be toolin' along thinking you had both pumpers up to snuff C but you wouldn't.

Unless you verified each and every flight that BOTH pumps were operating fine C you could be relying a false sense of security.  Wouldn't you?

If it were me C and maybe that's just my way of thinking C I think I would like a parallel fuel system.  Here why I think this;  if my primary system failed C it would kick on the backup system (and a big bright red panel light).  The light would alert me that the primary pump needs attention C and when I landed C I could take care of the problem C but in the meantime C my backup is doing it's job.

For a parallel design C a primary system could easily have a low-pressure switch ($30 McMaster Carr) that if activated (due to a zero or very low fuel pressure) C it would turn on the backup pump.
  This method is close to how my turbo "high fuel delivery" fuel system is designed and operated.

I realize a series fuel system C with two fuel pumps C CAN work.  I know that.  But C how would you know that every flight both are working properly?

Just some thoughts on the matter.......

Mike Welch
MkIII CX

[quote] I've got a series or parallel question about installing a facet boost pump. I'm planning on intalling a facet pump between my fuel tank and the he mikuni engine pump. I'm doing it in series just to keep it simple. If the facet fails it should still flow thru so the mikuni will be able to draw fuel from the tank. But what if the mikuni fails? Will it flow thru and allow the boost pump fuel to get to the carbs? Those of you with similar systems I'd appreciate your advice.

Mark Rinehart
Hotmail: Free C trusted and r01/' target='_new'>Get it now.
Quote:
[b]

NeilsenRM(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:13 pm    Post subject: 582 fuel system Reply with quote

Mike

Your system sounds great and should work well but I like to keep things simple.

My fuel system requires a electric fuel pump. I have two electric pumps in series, one is driven by the ignition circuit. The secondary pump by separate switched circuit. My starting routine is prime the fuel system using the back up pump. I watch the fuel flow through a short piece of transparent fuel line till the float bowls are full. I then turn off the secondary system and start the engine. I can see fuel flow and hear the faucet pump running when I turn on the back up pump. I know the back up pump test works because the faucet pump died a few years back and its need for replacement was very noticeable. I can hear the primary pump running when the ignition is turned on. I also know if the primary pump fails the engine will quit fairly quick and while still on the ground. I had to disconnect the primary pump power wires to test this. Before takeoff or landing I turn on the back up pump.

It works for me.

Rick Neilsen
Redrive VW Powered MKIIIC

[quote] ---

lucien

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 582 fuel system Reply with quote

capt_riney(at)yahoo.com wrote:

Mark Rinehart

There's generally little advantage to adding the electric pump and a couple of disadvantages. The mikuni pneumatic pumps are exceedingly reliable and, in a Kolb installation, provide plenty of vacuum to draw the fuel up from the tank to the engine.

The primary disadvantages are, in my view, enough to decide against adding the boost pump:
- the electric pumps add a small amount of drag when off from the check valve.
- additional complexity is added in the form of the electrics, the switch, the additional procedures to follow for its use.
- more troubleshooting needed when there is a fuel draw problem, as you've already pretty much correctly alluded to here Wink.

As I said, the pneumatic pumps are exceptionally reliable and when simply used by themselves yeild the simplest and easy to use/maintain system. I've used them for years and many hundreds of hours and have never had one fail.

LS

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:34 pm    Post subject: 582 fuel system Reply with quote

Rick N. C

The design of your system sounds like I was asking about.  Your ability to verify each pump C prior to each flight C is the kind of assure I was wondering about.  It appears as though you have everything covered.

But C Rick C is your fuel delivery a true "series" design?

Mike Welch

To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: 582 fuel system
Date: Wed C 13 Jan 2010 15:12:13 -0500

.ExternalClass .ecxhmmessage P {padding-bottom:0px;padding-left:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-top:0px;} .ExternalClass BODY.ecxhmmessage {font-family:Verdana;font-size:10pt;} Mike

My fuel system requires a electric fuel pump. I have two electric pumps in series C one is driven by the ignition circuit. The secondary pump by separate switched circuit. My starting routine is prime the fuel system using the back up pump. I watch the fuel flow through a short piece of transparent fuel line till the float bowls are full. I then turn off the secondary system and start the engine. I can see fuel flow and hear the faucet pump running when I turn on the back up pump. I know the back up pump test works because the faucet pump died a few years back and its need for replacement was very noticeable.  I can hear the primary pump running when the ignition is turned on. I also know if the primary pump fails the engine will quit fairly quick and while still on the ground. I had to disconnect the primary pump power wires to test this. Before takeoff or landing I turn on the back up pump.

It works for me.

Rick Neilsen
Redrive VW Powered MKIIIC

[quote] ---

rickofudall

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:47 pm    Post subject: 582 fuel system Reply with quote

Mike, Richard, et al, I run a Facet in parallel in both my aircraft. I know it's running when I turn it on before start up by its thumping. I turn it off to taxi and if the engine dies I know I have a problem with the pneumatic pump. Once I do a runup and check the mags, I turn the Facet back on for take off. When I reach my cruising altitude I turn it off until I'm back in the pattern. I turn it on again for landing. If I'm just staying in the pattern I leave it on. Never had a problem with either aircraft.

Rick Girard

On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 3:29 PM, Mike Welch <mdnanwelch7(at)hotmail.com (mdnanwelch7(at)hotmail.com)> wrote:
[quote] Rick N.,

The design of your system sounds like I was asking about.  Your ability to verify each pump, prior to each flight, is the kind of assure I was wondering about.  It appears as though you have everything covered.

But, Rick, is your fuel delivery a true "series" design?

Mike Welch

From: NeilsenRM(at)comcast.net (NeilsenRM(at)comcast.net)
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com (kolb-list(at)matronics.com)
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 15:12:13 -0500

Mike

My fuel system requires a electric fuel pump. I have two electric pumps in series, one is driven by the ignition circuit. The secondary pump by separate switched circuit. My starting routine is prime the fuel system using the back up pump. I watch the fuel flow through a short piece of transparent fuel line till the float bowls are full. I then turn off the secondary system and start the engine. I can see fuel flow and hear the faucet pump running when I turn on the back up pump. I know the back up pump test works because the faucet pump died a few years back and its need for replacement was very noticeable.  I can hear the primary pump running when the ignition is turned on. I also know if the primary pump fails the engine will quit fairly quick and while still on the ground. I had to disconnect the primary pump power wires to test this. Before takeoff or landing I turn on the back up pump.

It works for me.

Rick Neilsen
Redrive VW Powered MKIIIC

[quote] ---

John Hauck

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:00 pm    Post subject: 582 fuel system Reply with quote

Mike W/Gang:

We used standby fuel pumps in series with the main pumps on UH-1 and AH-1 helicopters, when I was flying them a few years ago, like 35 years ago.

We checked both during engine start and run up. We left the standby pump off and started the engine on the main fuel pump. Noting the fuel pressure on the main, we then turned on the standby. Usually, we would get a couple pound increase in pressure to let us know the standby was operational. The fact that the engine started and was running on the main fuel told us it was operational.

My MKIII is plumbed the same way as the Hueys and Cobras, minus the fuel pressure gauge. Before engine start I turn on the Facet boost pump to prime the carbs. I can listen to it and tell when the bowls are full. Turn it off and crank the engine with the engine driven pump. If the engine runs on the engine driven pump while I am getting ready to taxi and takeoff, I am happy with it. To be more exact, I should have a fuel pressure gauge, but I don't like running a fuel line to the instrument panel.

john h
mkIII

[quote] I realize a series fuel system, with two fuel pumps, CAN work. I know that. But, how would you know that every flight both are working properly?

Just some thoughts on the matter.......

Mike Welch

[b]

Titus, Alabama
John Hauck

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:49 pm    Post subject: 582 fuel system Reply with quote

> There's generally little advantage to adding the electric pump and a
couple of disadvantages. The mikuni pneumatic pumps are exceedingly reliable
and, in a Kolb installation, provide plenty of vacuum to draw the fuel up
from the tank to the engine.
Quote:

As I said, the pneumatic pumps are exceptionally reliable and when simply
used by themselves yeild the simplest and easy to use/maintain system.
I've used them for years and many hundreds of hours and have never had one
fail.

LS

Lucien/Gang:

I think the major advantage of having an electric boost pump is when the
Mikuni fails, gives you another chance.

Back in my two stroke days I had a Mikuni fail. Had a cheap Facet copy I
bought from JC Whitney for backup pump, which failed a few hours after I
departed Alabama for the Flight Farm, in Monterey, NY, in 1989. The Mikuni
failed while flying low level around the Flight Farm a few days later.
Lucked out and landed in one of the many hay fields in the area. Murphy
knows when to strike. He is very patient.

Might be complex for some, but pretty simple for most to cut a fuel line,
stick a Facet in there, run a couple wires to the battery and a switch. On
my Firestar, I did not have a battery. Connected the pump through a switch
to my 12VDC buss. Got a Facet to replace the Chinamanese pump when I got
back to Alabama. Trying to save a few dollars cost me a forced landing.

Not much maintenance to a Facet pump. I have had one in my MKIII for a few
hours less than 3,000. Haven't done anything to it since installation in

These pumps were used as primary lift pumps in many small pickup trucks,
Mazda for one. They have a great track record. Almost as good as Mikuni.

My first little Kubota diesel was built in and around 1975. It uses a
Mikuni pulse pump for a lift pump. It has several thousand hours and 35
years of pumping without failure. If that pump was in my airplane, it would
probably fail next flight. Wink

john h
mkIII

Titus, Alabama
lucien

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 582 fuel system Reply with quote

John Hauck wrote:

Lucien/Gang:

I think the major advantage of having an electric boost pump is when the
Mikuni fails, gives you another chance.

Seems like we've kicked around the electric fuel pump issue in the past, but my memory is a little foggy on it.

To the OP I'd say it's ultimately a matter of personal preference as my reasons for not liking and thus not using an electric pump (unless it's specifically called for by the installation) tend to be just matters of my own personal opinion and not really things I can substantiate with failure rates etc.

I personally prefer the simplest possible systems in critical areas like fuel systems because they're easier to maintain, less stuff for me to worry about in flight, easier to catch goofs on and yeild the simplest possible checklists in the plane. I.e.
fan stops turning:
- go to landing spot
- land
fan gets rough
- go to landing spot
- land

without having to hit extra switches, etc.

etc...

Though I will admit that some of the terrain I've flown over in a couple of my recent trips did once or twice cause backup systems like an aux. fuel pump to pop into my mind for a moment.
It did prompt me to go hug a road, which did quite enjoyably extend a flight I made the other day.
If the WX is good this weekend I'm going to repeat it but this time using that new route with the road under it Wink That's the nice thing about our plane types being slower than the big iron - we get to spend more time in the plane on a trip.
LS

John Hauck

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:28 pm    Post subject: 582 fuel system Reply with quote

> Though I will admit that some of the terrain I've flown over in a couple
of my recent trips did once or twice cause backup systems like an aux. fuel
pump to pop into my mind for a moment.
Quote:
It did prompt me to go hug a road, which did quite enjoyable extend a
flight I made the other day.
If the WX is good this weekend I'm going to repeat it but this time using
that new route with the road under it Wink

LS

Lucien/Gang:

Based on altitude and terrain, I will turn on the boost pump is necessary.
The Facet is rated for continuous duty. Could leave it on all the time.

If I am scared the engine is going to stop at any moment, I'll follow a road
or other suitable forced landing area, if there is one.

Normally, flying with a 912UL or a 912ULS, I fly direct.

Aren't you flying a Titan with 912?

john h
mkIII

Titus, Alabama
NeilsenRM(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:43 pm    Post subject: 582 fuel system Reply with quote

Mike

Yes the system is true "series" design.

Rick Neilsen
[quote] ---

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:01 pm    Post subject: 582 fuel system Reply with quote

Rick C Rick C John C Lucien C etc C and others C

Like I said C I don't know much about the 582 delivery systems C but it sounds like you guys have it figured out.

My concern was not knowing if you had a failure in a two pump system C but as long as you can easily verify each pump is working properly C then it sounds like you're in good shape. 

Mike Welch

To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com
Date: Wed C 13 Jan 2010 23:41:00 -0500

.ExternalClass .ecxhmmessage P {padding-bottom:0px;padding-left:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-top:0px;} .ExternalClass BODY.ecxhmmessage {font-family:Verdana;font-size:10pt;} Mike

Yes the system is true "series" design.

Rick Neilsen
[quote] ---

Richard Pike

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: 582 fuel system Reply with quote

John Hauck wrote:

Lucien/Gang:

Based on altitude and terrain, I will turn on the boost pump as necessary.
<snip>
john h
mkIII

That's what I do. There is a pressure gauge plumbed into the line between the Facet and the Mikuni, and if the engine burps and the pressure gauge is still at 3 psi, at least I know it's not fuel related.

Richard Pike
MKIII N420P (420ldPoops)

lucien

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: 582 fuel system Reply with quote

John Hauck wrote:

Lucien/Gang:

Based on altitude and terrain, I will turn on the boost pump is necessary.

If I am scared the engine is going to stop at any moment, I'll follow a road
or other suitable forced landing area, if there is one.

Normally, flying with a 912UL or a 912ULS, I fly direct.

Aren't you flying a Titan with 912?

john h
mkIII

Yes, a II SS with a 912ULS. So far it's been 100% reliable but I'm still nervous about trusting my life to an engine. My plane and my ticket I'm not too worried about but not even my mighty 912ULS is completely comforting when I put myself over possibly life-threatening terrain.

But on some of my recent trips here in northern NM, you don't have much choice to get some places. Even going to Taos from SF there're a couple spots where you know it would just hurt if the fan stopped turning even if you hug roads and landing spots.

If the weekend is nice I'm going to try Questa (N24) and carry my trusty gas can along with. I'll again go over some of that terrain on that trip.

Speaking of the facet pump, the other titan on our field uses one for his 7gal pony tank that he puts in the back seat. I'm experimenting with the gas can idea and it works well so far, but I'm thinking of trying the pony tank idea as well for longer legs.
With my powerfin prop and slightly slower speed my fuel burn has dropped to right at 3gph - a 10 gal pony tank could extend my endurance to over 4 hours..

LS

slyck(at)frontiernet.net

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:11 am    Post subject: 582 fuel system Reply with quote

Lucien, too much logic and rational thinking will spoil a perfectly good flight.
BB
do not archive

On 14, Jan 2010, at 8:34 AM, lucien wrote:

Quote:

John Hauck wrote:
>
> Lucien/Gang:
>
> Based on altitude and terrain, I will turn on the boost pump is necessary.
> The Facet is rated for continuous duty. Could leave it on all the time.
>
> If I am scared the engine is going to stop at any moment, I'll follow a road
> or other suitable forced landing area, if there is one.
>
> Normally, flying with a 912UL or a 912ULS, I fly direct.
>
> Aren't you flying a Titan with 912?
>
> john h
> mkIII

Yes, a II SS with a 912ULS. So far it's been 100% reliable but I'm still nervous about trusting my life to an engine. My plane and my ticket I'm not too worried about but not even my mighty 912ULS is completely comforting when I put myself over possibly life-threatening terrain.

But on some of my recent trips here in northern NM, you don't have much choice to get some places. Even going to Taos from SF there're a couple spots where you know it would just hurt if the fan stopped turning even if you hug roads and landing spots.

If the weekend is nice I'm going to try Questa (N24) and carry my trusty gas can along with.

Speaking of the facet pump, the other titan on our field uses one for his 7gal pony tank that he puts in the back seat. I'm experimenting with the gas can idea and it works well so far, but I'm thinking of trying the pony tank idea as well for longer legs.

LS

--------
LS
Titan II SS

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p 81409#281409

lucien

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: 582 fuel system Reply with quote

slyck(at)frontiernet.net wrote:
Lucien, too much logic and rational thinking will spoil a perfectly good flight.
BB
do not archive

On 14, Jan 2010, at 8:34 AM, lucien wrote:

Good point - That's why I like to fiddle with things in the plane as little as possible (my original point about the fuel pump) Wink.

However, terrain awareness is a matter of basic training and safety, not too much rational thinking, etc. But that's just how I was trained - YMMV. Years later I can still hear the CFI's voice in my head on this ("solid gold plan B" and "skin, tin, ticket" were his mantras Wink).

In fact, I've rediscovered the fun of navigating with a chart and pilotage instead of relying on the GPS. I flew down south to Belen, NM a few weeks ago and that trip is actually a little bit technical. You have the Albuquerque class C and the Double Eagle class D's to deal with. I'm transponder-less so I went around the ABQ class C using only the chart and landmarks to navigate my way to the destination.

I'd forgotten how enjoyable it is to do a trip the "old-fashioned-way" like that. I did cheat a little with the GPS as I approached the Belen airport, but otherwise I did it completely with the altimeter and the sectional, two practically fail-safe navigation aids.

And never had to flddle with a fuel pump switch the whole way there and back.

LS

lcottrell

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:43 am    Post subject: 582 fuel system Reply with quote

We of course have had this discussion almost as many time as Sea Foam, and I generally keep out of it, but I am wondering why do most of you feel the facet is only useable as a boost pump? I know that in a GA plane, they use a boost pump on take off and landing. I suppose that there is a reason for that, but I can think of no reason why the facet (rated at 3-5 lbs of pressure) has to be turned off when I am flying level? It certainly is not going to over power the mech. pump. I only have about 500 hours on my plane, and when I leave the airstrip almost no where that I could put down is a "good place". I am sure that the mech. pump on the HKS could supply me enough fuel to limp to somewhere better, but I can find no reason to spare the facet the function that it was designed for. Will I use less gas if I leave it off? At $28.00 I am pretty sure I could afford another one if this one went belly up. Don't get me wrong, it really doesn't matter if you turn it off after you get airborne, I am just curious as to why that is necessary.

Larry, (forgetful but honest, even on a short winter day)

Note: If you forward this email, please delete the forwarding history, which includes my email address.
[quote] ---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: