Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fwd: Concord KCCR CJ-6A Landing Incident of WE 13JAN10

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
byronmfox(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:44 am    Post subject: Fwd: Concord KCCR CJ-6A Landing Incident of WE 13JAN10 Reply with quote

Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:
Quote:
From: James Woodall <jawz4(at)comcast.net (jawz4(at)comcast.net)>
Date: January 15, 2010 10:40:56 AM PST
To: Byron Fox <byronmfox(at)gmail.com (byronmfox(at)gmail.com)>
Subject: Fwd: Concord KCCR CJ-6A Landing Incident of WE 13JAN10

[quote]

Begin forwarded message:
Quote:
From: James Woodall <[url=mailto:jetlagd(at)gmail.com]jetlagd(at)gmail.com (jetlagd(at)gmail.com)[/url]>
Date: January 15, 2010 10:30:47 AM PST
To: [url=mailto:Yak-List(at)matronics.com]Yak-List(at)matronics.com (Yak-List(at)matronics.com)[/url]
Subject: Concord KCCR CJ-6A Landing Incident of WE 13JAN10
Last Wednesday after an uneventful 55 minute flight I returned for landing on RWY 19R (5000') at Concord, CA (KCCR). WX was 3500' scattered clouds, visibility greater than 6 mi. and winds 210 deg. at 7 knots. I had a normal touchdown and raised the nose for a few seconds to aerodynamically slow the aircraft. As the nose fell through with loss of lift I continued to track the centerline and slow. About five hundred feet from my taxiway exit the nose of the aircraft slowly and smoothly started to rise and as it rose began to yaw left. I am estimating I was probably about 25-30 mph. All of my control inputs were ineffective and the aircraft departed the controlled surface and came to rest about 40 ft. to the left of the runway. The left main landing gear gradually collapsed over a period of several seconds. The plane has a damaged left wing tip, and some missing and scuffed ceconite on the left aileron. The bottom right 2' of the Left gear door skin is damaged. The worst appears to be the sheet metal damage to the outboard 18" or so of the flap.
With the help of Airport Crash and Fire and my FBO we arranged to lift the plane back up with an engine hoist and sling. Long story short, 4 of us wound up just lifting the wing and as soon as the Left gear had clearance it went smartly back into place with a nice "thunk". The last two days have been extremely busy but on the advice of Byron Fox and Doug Sapp I wanted to get some information out to our community. I am meeting the insurance adjuster in 45 minutes, but I can add that yesterday John Long flew over from Marin with his jacks and we swung the gear 5 times with normal gear up and down results in the presence of my FBO mechanic. John also visually inspected the gear and manipulated it back and forth and side to side and it seemed fine. I will be sending the actuator up to Doug and he will inspect.
As I get more information I will be posting it to the community, but I wanted to at least get this out there. The Oakland FSDO Rep that I met with yesterday called it an incident with minor damage, as did the NTSB, The FSDO Rep was surprised it how little damage there was as his early information said there had been a prop strike. That was not the case.
I would like to acknowledge that everyone in this community that I have mentioned, and others such as Jim Selby have been incredibly supportive. I feel blessed to have found such a group of pilots and friends. I hope to meet all of you at All Red Star in the spring.
Sincerely,
Jim Woodall
Moraga, CA
[url=mailto:jetlagd(at)gmail.com]jetlagd(at)gmail.com (jetlagd(at)gmail.com)[/url]

[b]

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
cpayne(at)joimail.com

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:38 pm    Post subject: Fwd: Concord KCCR CJ-6A Landing Incident of WE 13JAN10 Reply with quote

Blitz,

Seems like some facts are missing from the story here. Did the gear handle get pulled up instead of the flap? When that happens, the first thing that appears to happen is the nose seems to rise and the airplane yaws into the 1st main gear that happens to retract.That's one reason why we say "Don't touch anything" until over the hold short line. I know because I did that bad thing once...

Another statement that strikes me is the description of a "normal" touchdown and THEN raising the nose. Am I the only one who lands a CJ like a taildragger, landing with the stick full aft and holding it until the nose falls through? Better yet, keep the stick full back until pulling the flaps up After crossing the hold short.

Craig Payne

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: