Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Icom A6 PTT wiring

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
albertakolbmk3

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:55 pm    Post subject: Icom A6 PTT wiring Reply with quote

Hi,

I've got an ICOM A6 radio that I would like to rewire to remove the existing PTT and use the one in the new handle I purchased. The new handle has 4 buttons on top that I want to use to control my EIS and the push to talk on the front for the radio. The problem I'm having is the existing PTT has one button but two switches under it. One is wired NC and the other NO. The NO switch controls the transmit which I can get to work with the button on my new handle, what is the other switch for? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tony

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

Kolb MKIII C
Rotax 582
C Gearbox 3.00:1
WD 66" 3 Blade Prop
Dana

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:13 pm    Post subject: Icom A6 PTT wiring Reply with quote

At 04:55 PM 1/17/2010, albertakolbmk3 wrote:

Quote:
I've got an ICOM A6 radio that I would like to rewire to remove the existing PTT and use the one in the new handle I purchased. The new handle has 4 buttons on top that I want to use to control my EIS and the push to talk on the front for the radio. The problem I'm having is the existing PTT has one button but two switches under it. One is wired NC and the other NO. The NO switch controls the transmit which I can get to work with the button on my new handle, what is the other switch for? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tony, as you say the NO switch is all you need for transmit. The NC switch might be for an intercom or something.

I made a PTT for my UltraStar, built it right into the stick. All I used was a single NO switch.

-Dana
--
For every new foolproof invention there is a new and improved fool. [quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Thom Riddle

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Icom A6 PTT wiring Reply with quote

Tony,

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your intention but I have the Icom A6 adapters for headset, external power etc and use the PTT on the joystick without any modification to the PTT switch on the A6.

Icom A6 PTT diagram.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  338.67 KB
 Viewed:  10092 Time(s)

Icom A6 PTT diagram.jpg

Don't worry about old age... it doesn't last very long.
- Anonymous
albertakolbmk3

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Icom A6 PTT wiring Reply with quote

The problem is that ultralight helmets only have the one cable for both intercom and headset so there are 5 wires. The stick grip I bought only has the one NO switch for intercom. Just wondering if there is a way I can still utilize the one button on the grip without having to go back to using the velcro attached button that has the two switches in it.

Kolb MKIII C
Rotax 582
WD 66" 3 Blade Prop
Dana

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:34 am    Post subject: Icom A6 PTT wiring Reply with quote

At 10:11 AM 1/18/2010, albertakolbmk3 wrote:
Quote:
--> Kolb-List message posted by: "albertakolbmk3" <cheriebraun(at)xplornet.com>

The problem is that ultralight helmets only have the one cable for both intercom and headset so there are 5 wires. The stick grip I bought only has the one NO switch for intercom. Just wondering if there is a way I can still utilize the one button on the grip without having to go back to using the velcro attached button that has the two switches in it.

Does the NC switch turn on the intercom when the radio's not transmitting? If so, you could wire the NO button on the stick to work a relay that has both NC and NO contacts, and the relay switches the radio and intercom.

-Dana
--
Ever notice the Secret Service and the Nazi SS have the same initials? [quote][b]

albertakolbmk3

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Icom A6 PTT wiring Reply with quote

Dana,

That's a good idea... I'll have to check on that.

Thanks,

Tony

Kolb MKIII C
Rotax 582
WD 66" 3 Blade Prop
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: