Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oil dipstick door installation on Lightning cowls

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Lightning-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clive J

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:13 am    Post subject: Oil dipstick door installation on Lightning cowls Reply with quote

I can't find any instructions one the owners list (inside with something else?) and don't think I have any hardware for the dipstick flap though I have found a bit of piano hinge that maybe Jab or Esqual or maybe even Lightning that came will my new cowls (LS for my Esqual).
I have some Jabiru bits and will have a play with them. I didn't fit the Jab one on my SP as the cowling comes off so quick.
The Esqual was the same but as the Lightning has some many screws I won't be taking the top off off at every pre-flight which I imagine is the standard approach.
Can someone tell me what the Lightning installation is like?
Thanks, Clive [quote][b]

- The Matronics Lightning-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Lightning-List
sttwig

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:51 am    Post subject: Oil dipstick door installation on Lightning cowls Reply with quote

Clive,

I had the same question to Lightning headquarters in Tennessee.  They said they use some hinge and rivets to attach the door.  I didn't care for trying to hide the rivets on the exterior of the cowl so I bonded the hinge with Aeropoxy to both the door and the cowl.  It hasn't stood the test of engine and flight operations yet, but I don't see why it won't work.

Steve Sundquist
Kit #48

On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 6:09 AM, James, Clive R <clive.james(at)uk.bp.com (clive.james(at)uk.bp.com)> wrote:
[quote]
I can't find any instructions one the owners list (inside with something else?) and don't think I have any hardware for the dipstick flap though I have found a bit of piano hinge that maybe Jab or Esqual or maybe even Lightning that came will my new cowls (LS for my Esqual).
I have some Jabiru bits and will have a play with them. I didn't fit the Jab one on my SP as the cowling comes off so quick.
The Esqual was the same but as the Lightning has some many screws I won't be taking the top off off at every pre-flight which I imagine is the standard approach.
Can someone tell me what the Lightning installation is like?
Thanks, Clive
Quote:

" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Lightning-List
tp://forums.matronics.com
_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Clive J

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:43 am    Post subject: Oil dipstick door installation on Lightning cowls Reply with quote

Thanks Steve, how did you get it flush?

I've been playing around with some bent metal to set the hinge back and
move the pivot point away from the door. So door can site flat on the
rebate.

If I can't get there wit that I'll go your way, Cheers, Clive

--

sttwig

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:35 pm    Post subject: Oil dipstick door installation on Lightning cowls Reply with quote

Clive,

I hope these pictures help. I cut the joggle completely away on the hinge
side and made a notch for the hinge to fit in. Also, per Mark's suggestion,
I stiffened the door and the area opposite the hinge, between the camlocs
with some angle. He said the cowl tends to warp there due to the heat of
the engine. He sent me a picture, but it is on my work computer.

Steve

--

selwyn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil dipstick door installation on Lightning cowls Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I'm thinking about the same thing at the moment and a couple of problems are exercising my imagination.

First is the warping that happens to Jabiru oil doors and other thin glass covers, particularly when exposed to heat over time. Second is, as you have noticed, the thickness of the door plus simple piano hinge is greater than the depth of the rebate in the cowl so the thing won't sit flat even before it warps. Jabiru uses a hinge set on the inner surface of the cowl and curved piece of metal or glass (depending on the model) to attach to the door and provide clearance for it to open. A similar principle to the Lightning canopy hinges.

I have yet to drill the holes but my current solution is to throw the hinge away and use four camlocs, one at each corner, to hold the door in place and help to keep it flush with the cowl. Some sort of tether to stop the hatch blowing away when removed would complete the job.

Any thoughts?

Clive J

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:13 pm    Post subject: Oil dipstick door installation on Lightning cowls Reply with quote

Thanks guys, all good info.

I recall the latest Jab's have an ally plate for the door, this must be
their solution to the warping.

I'm still not decided on the solution and the exclusive use of camlocks
was also on my list as it's quick and easy! (thanks Selwyn).

The door area on my cowl is already warped an although I could heat it
and flatten it I'm sure it would revert without a metal back up.

It was because of the hassle associated with such a small part that made
me glass the hole up on the previous two occasions.

Thanks again, Regards, Clive

--

selwyn

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil dipstick door installation on Lightning cowls Reply with quote

Hi Clive, Steve,

Just so I don't lead anyone up the garden path I thought I'd confess that, after reading Steve's, post I'm part way through implementing a similar solution to his. (Thanks Steve).

My cowl has also warped around the oil door cutout, particularly along the outboard edge and, as you say, will probably get worse over time so the metal reinforcement seems the way to go. That will probably print through over time but that seems the lesser of two evils.

I had a chat to my fibreglass guru and his advice is to drill holes through the hinge and cowl and bond it on with epoxy and floc so that an epoxy "rivet" is formed to help key the metal to the glass. A layer of glass over the top as per Steve will complete the job.

rick(at)trickair.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:41 am    Post subject: Oil dipstick door installation on Lightning cowls Reply with quote

Hello,
I wouldn't drill through the cowl, that will certainly print through. Do
drill through the hinge. I suggest that you clean and completely scuff the
area around the door opening add several layers of glass or strips of carbon
fiber around the opening. Then bond on the hinge and a metal reinforcement
if you want. The adhesive of my choice for boning metal to fiberglass is a
methacrylate. Some name brands are Plexus MA310 or MA300. Another is
Weld-on.

Regards
Rick Discher
Custom Fiberglass Molding
--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Lightning-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: