Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mono wheel conversion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
martinboyle53(at)bigpond.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:32 pm    Post subject: Mono wheel conversion Reply with quote

Hi To All
I have purchased a part built mono wheel kit and may want to convert it to TRI gear.When I do this can I remove the consol in the middle as I find there is not enough room for me as I am 6ft3in tall and 96kg.Has anybody done this and ois it a factory mod
Thanks M A B
MAB123 Registered User Posts: 1 Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:34 pm
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
grahamsingleton(at)btinte

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:46 pm    Post subject: Mono wheel conversion Reply with quote

On 08/02/2010 23:24, Martin Boyle wrote:
Quote:
Hi To All
I have purchased a part built mono wheel kit and may want to convert it to TRI gear.When I do this can I remove the consol in the middle as I find there is not enough room for me as I am 6ft3in tall and 96kg.Has anybody done this and ois it a factory mod
Thanks M A B

Martin
not a good idea, the central tunnel contributes a lot of bending stiffness and compression strength to the fuselage, (apologise for clumsy termionology) Think about nosewheel loads and main wheel/wing weight loads. This part of the fuselage is a beam.
Mods have been done, there is a mod to slim it down in the hips area but needs care.
Graham
[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

topglock(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:57 pm    Post subject: Mono wheel conversion Reply with quote

The short answer is no. The tunnel is structural, however, it can be
cut down to some extent, between the seats...

Jeff

Martin Boyle wrote:
Quote:
Hi To All
I have purchased a part built mono wheel kit and may want to convert it
to TRI gear.When I do this can I remove the consol in the middle as I
find there is not enough room for me as I am 6ft3in tall and 96kg.Has
anybody done this and ois it a factory mod
Thanks M A B

MAB123
<http://www.europaowners.org/forums/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=708>

* Private message
<http://www.europaowners.org/forums/ucp.php?i=pm&mode=compose&action=quotepost&p 5293>

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Checked by AVG - www.avg.com

garrys(at)tampabay.rr.com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:57 pm    Post subject: Mono wheel conversion Reply with quote

I was told by Ivan Shaw that the center console is in integral structural item, and CANNOT be removed. You can narrow it’s width, and reduce its height somewhat, but some structural portion……….maybe 75%? Must remain.

Garry Stout

From: owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Martin Boyle

Hi To All
Thanks M A B

[quote][b]

g-iani(at)ntlworld.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:22 am    Post subject: Mono wheel conversion Reply with quote

Martin

As others have said the tunnel is structurally important. The attached PDF shows the reduction I made on my aircraft. The important dimensions are the 5' and 7' shown in the section part of the drawing. I have the full engineering calculations which show that this leave plenty of strength in the tunnel. These dimensions could probable be reduced to 4' and 5' but I do not have calculations for these.

I hope this helps

Ian Rickard G-IANI XS Trigear, 280 hours
Europa Club Mods Rep
e-mail g-iani(at)ntlworld.com

Tunnel3a.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Tunnel3a.pdf
 Filesize:  51.42 KB
 Downloaded:  220 Time(s)

ami(at)mcfadyean.freeserv

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:40 am    Post subject: Mono wheel conversion Reply with quote

Ian,
Does this mod work for a monowheel-to-tri-gear conversion? Which would differ by having the monowheel cut-out still present (whether covered with a screwed-on non structural cover or not), or just for the tri-gear that has the underside still intact?

I think this needs to be made clear.

Rgds.,
Duncan McF.
[quote] ---

g-iani(at)ntlworld.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:35 pm    Post subject: Mono wheel conversion Reply with quote

Duncan

From the calculations done by Barry Mellers the "floor" is of no consequence. So they are equally applicable to a Trigear, with or without an access panel or a converted Mono with a cover panel.

The point to note is that the tunnel must still have a "top" on it.

Ian Rickard G-IANI XS Trigear, 280 hours
Europa Club Mods Rep (Trigear)
e-mail g-iani(at)ntlworld.com

From: owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Duncan & Ami McFadyean
Sent: 09 February 2010 19:38
To: europa-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Mono wheel conversion

Ian,
Does this mod work for a monowheel-to-tri-gear conversion? Which would differ by having the monowheel cut-out still present (whether covered with a screwed-on non structural cover or not), or just for the tri-gear that has the underside still intact?

I think this needs to be made clear.

Rgds.,
Duncan McF.
[quote] ---

budyerly(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:18 pm    Post subject: Mono wheel conversion Reply with quote

<?xml:namespace prefix="v" /><?xml:namespace prefix="o" /><![endif]--> Martin,
Not to pile on, but I have fit a number of large pilots to the Europa.
It has been my experience, that the only area of the tunnel that is a nuisance to the tall pilot is the area where the knee hits center console. A football shaped cutout there is typically all that is needed. I have seen some Europa's with the console cut down very low, and I share the comments with others that a lot of stiffness of the fuselage is given up by cutting down this area. You are compromising the aircraft. The Europa provides more than reasonable protection as is. Short story: On two nose low (25 degree impacts in landing accidents) one with the full console, the other was cut down a modest 3-4 inches. On both the floor of the fuselage behind the rudders flexed, which compromised that area. One aircraft had under the door electrical conduits installed of 4 layers of glass measuring roughly 3 inches deep and level with the sill and a full console, with a cut out where the throttle would be. This area was glassed in with a flange of 4 layers of 8 oz bid and a cover panel of 6-8 layers of bid. It maintained very good fuselage stiffness with only nose damage when the nose gear failed after about the 4th porpoise. The floor had a minor deformity in the glass from flexing, but was easily repaired. The pilot opened the door and stepped out. The other aircraft actually split the fuselage side 6 inches forward of the door sill when the fuselage floor flexed. The console was cut down some 4 inches beginning below the instrument panel face continuing all the way back to the bulkhead and had no under sill conduits. The side of the fuselage cracked due to the nose flexing downward. Some foot injuries were incurred as the fuselage flexed to the point of cracking from the consol up to the windscreen. Foot injury occurred as a result of the rudder pedals deflecting as the fuselage skidded along. Both accidents were pilot error and no names will be released so don't ask.

It would be best to make a modest console adjustment to fit your form. I have found for pilots your size that the hi top mod 63 is very comfortable and the extra width mod 67 is also a must have. If your kit is too far along for the high top, the bubble door glass is one of my favorite mods also. These higher top mods allow you to slide aft a bit and get another inch of headroom and less knee height. All the above can be purchased through the company. I know I'm kicking myself for not doing the width increase as it is quite comfortable. The high top is quite impressive.

As for how to re-establish strength in your console after cutting it out, please properly prep and add foam to fill the void, prep the foam and add two layers of bid overlapping two inches around the hole on the inside and out... As for the hole in the bottom, consider adding a bulkhead behind the nose gear of 1/8 inch (3mm) aircraft ply and glassing it in with two layers. This is a help to stiffening the plane also besides allowing for a generous cooling air exit if the mono wheel firewall is removed. Be sure to protect the new bulkhead and console inside exposed to the engine with firewall material of your choice. Then close the bottom hole, and if you like, add a large inspection hole on the bottom for maintenance of in console items. A glassed in hole adds for stiffness and impact strength also.

Top it off with a back cushion about 1 inch thick or 1/2 inch of firm foam and a contoured seat cushion to suite and you will be comfortable.

Bud Yerly
Custom Flight Creations,
US Europa Dealer
[quote] ---

fklein(at)orcasonline.com

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject: Mono wheel conversion Reply with quote

On Feb 10, 2010, at 4:16 PM, Bud Yerly wrote:
Quote:
It has been my experience, that the only area of the tunnel that is a nuisance to the tall pilot is the area where the knee hits center console. A football shaped cutout there is typically all that is needed.

Bud...by any chance, might you have a photo or two of an example of this mod?
Thanks,
Fred

[quote][b]

budyerly(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:51 pm    Post subject: Mono wheel conversion Reply with quote

<?xml:namespace prefix="v" /><?xml:namespace prefix="o" /><![endif]--> No Fred I don't see any in my photo archive. I just whacked out about 1.5 inches of the top corner to take the edge off. Filled it with foam, rounded over to transition to the center console top and glassed the upper side and then glassed over the foam underneath through the access hole below and the access hole in the top. Later I had the upholster pad it and the hole in the top of the console for brake and throttle came within about 1 inch of the curve. The worst part was not the cutout, it was making it look like the console on the trigear was just meant to be that way. The cutout went from about two inches aft of the face of the avionics part of the panel and joined with the rear section of the console top. Of course his mod would never allow the mono gear handle to work and will require fiddling if a motor glider airbrake handle were to be installed by the book...

Sorry Fred, but what I did doesn’t work on a mono or a motor glider. The handles take up knee space for the big guys. A mono is pretty tight for the long guys. Without the hi-top to get their but back farther in the seat the knees do get in the way.

Bud

[quote] ---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: