Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Valley Engineering Big-Twin - Any one flying with one?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
herbgh(at)nctc.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:33 am    Post subject: Valley Engineering Big-Twin - Any one flying with one? Reply with quote

Mike, all

The biggest application for the V twins is currently on Trikes... It appears to be a good engine for certain applications...Herb

At 10:15 AM 2/18/2010, you wrote:
[quote]Rick N,

Oops, I misspoke about the "Big Twin". It isn't the half-VW I said it was. It is the Generac V-twin. (I said my knowledge was vast, I didn't say it was accurate!!)

Yes, I know they were planning on putting a turbo on the Generac, I saw it. When I drove down to meet the folks at Valley Engineering last summer, they gave me the "dime tour". The whole operation is a family affair, and all of them working there are related.
(nice people, BTW)

The Generac motor with the turbo is a very basic installation. Basically, they just bolted a small turbo on the motor, period! I don't believe they are going to deal with the fuel/air ratio change, or any other turbo-installation issues. Larry ((at) Valley Enr'g) and I talked about this.
I'm not too sure how successful the basic turbo installation will be. I think that's why it hasn't gone too far.

IMO, if you require a turbo on a Generac just to make it worthwhile to power a plane, you're much better with off with a 503!! For the Generac to be a successful airplane engine, there needs to be a hellava lot more engineering and development on it.

Mike Welch
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Re: Valley Engineering Big-Twin - Any one flying with one?
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 10:41:43 -0500

Mike/All

The valley Big Twin is the Generac. I talked in depth with Larry Smith at Valley last summer at Oshkosh about Jimmy's big twin installation. Larry indicated that his performance was compromised a bit by prop selection. They are working on a turbo version that should give 503 level performance.

Jimmy indicated that Valley bolted the engine directly to the engine mount without vibration dampers. I told Larry and Jimmy that I didn't think that was a good idea. I was told by someone else that Valley gets the weight down on the genrac by cutting most of the fly wheel off. I have not confirmed it.

Rick Neilsen
Redrive VW powered MKIIIC
---

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: