Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vans conduit again

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kelly McMullen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:55 am    Post subject: Vans conduit again Reply with quote

After spending sometime yesterday trying to wrestle the Van's conduit
through 3/4" holes in side of fuselage over the carrythrough spar and
under the baggage floor, I think I might just like your suggested
method. Unless of course someone has a slick suggestion to feed the
conduit through the 3/4" holes without a LOT of wrestling. I'm getting
a bit old to enjoy wrestling.
Kelly

On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 5:43 PM, <ricksked(at)cox.net> wrote:
Quote:

Even better, forgo the conduit and install 3/4" snap bushings and fabricate a wiring harness with heat shrink "keepers" every two foot or so The harness can be pulled if needed and you can install a few spare wires for peace of mind for future use. I was helping a friend run his wing wiring the past few days and I liked this method much better than the conduit that I used.  If I would do it again, which I am, this is much better IMHO.

Rick S.
N246RS

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List

AirMike

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:49 am    Post subject: Vans conduit again - simple stupid Reply with quote

Not beautiful, but it works fine. I just drilled a #30 or #40 hole next to the lightening holes (don't forget to debur) and ran the conduit through the lightening holes. Then I ran a nylon zip tie to secure the Vans conduit. No opportunity for chafe as it is well secured and cannot move. If you want to get A/R you can slip a piece of silicone tape in there. Vans conduit is very tough and chafe resistant. I had to go back and run an extra piece of conduit at the end of construction to accommodate the wire that runs from the strobe unit in the battery area to the right wing. Don't forget this wire. I like the idea of conduit to prevent chafe. Had a lot of problems in a Piper Cherokee with wire chafe.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

william(at)gbta.net

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:12 am    Post subject: Vans conduit again Reply with quote

I have to agree. I did get the conduit in the wings ran to both wingtips
but had I known before how much of a chore it was to do I would have just
used Ricks idea of the 3/4" snap bushings and heat shrink tubing.

Bill

--------------------------------------------------
Sent: Sunday, February 21, 2010 10:53 AM
To: <rv10-list(at)matronics.com>
Subject: Re: Vans conduit again

Quote:

After spending sometime yesterday trying to wrestle the Van's conduit
through 3/4" holes in side of fuselage over the carrythrough spar and
under the baggage floor, I think I might just like your suggested
method. Unless of course someone has a slick suggestion to feed the
conduit through the 3/4" holes without a LOT of wrestling. I'm getting
a bit old to enjoy wrestling.
Kelly

On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 5:43 PM, <ricksked(at)cox.net> wrote:
>
>
> Even better, forgo the conduit and install 3/4" snap bushings and
> fabricate a wiring harness with heat shrink "keepers" every two foot or
> so The harness can be pulled if needed and you can install a few spare
> wires for peace of mind for future use. I was helping a friend run his
> wing wiring the past few days and I liked this method much better than
> the conduit that I used. If I would do it again, which I am, this is
> much better IMHO.
>
> Rick S.
> N246RS
>

Phil.Perry(at)netapp.com

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:56 am    Post subject: Vans conduit again Reply with quote

I agree Kelly, it's a pita.

I pulled three 3/4" I'd runs down each side, through the seat ribs, then through the lightening holes.   (Note I haven't punched any holes in the midfuse bulkheads).

The conduit required holes around 1 3/8.   It was a tough job, but once I quit finessing it, it wasn't that bad (considering the tight fit).

Each hole is lined with Alligator grommets.  It dabbed a bit of red rtv on the grommets to give them a bit more holding power. After pulling the conduit, I smashed more rtv through the gaps and let it set up.

It's great now, but the experience was frustrating.   Hang in there.

Phil

---

Phil.Perry(at)netapp.com

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:33 am    Post subject: Vans conduit again Reply with quote

Stupid blackberry.

ID not I'd.

To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com <rv10-list(at)matronics.com>
Sent: Sun Feb 21 10:49:11 2010
Subject: Re: RV10-List: Vans conduit again

I agree Kelly, it's a pita.

I pulled three 3/4" I'd runs down each side, through the seat ribs, then through the lightening holes.   (Note I haven't punched any holes in the midfuse bulkheads).

The conduit required holes around 1 3/8.   It was a tough job, but once I quit finessing it, it wasn't that bad (considering the tight fit).

Each hole is lined with Alligator grommets.  It dabbed a bit of red rtv on the grommets to give them a bit more holding power. After pulling the conduit, I smashed more rtv through the gaps and let it set up.

It's great now, but the experience was frustrating.   Hang in there.

Phil

---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: