Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

STUCK PROP FLANGE BOLT- HELP ME PLEASE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> JabiruEngine-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MHerder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:31 pm    Post subject: STUCK PROP FLANGE BOLT- HELP ME PLEASE Reply with quote

Guys I'm having a really crappy night.
This evening I decided to prepare for the final installation of my 2.5" prop hub extension on my 3300. In strict accordance with the service bulletins I heated the flange and bolts while protecting the rubber seals with a wet rag and I safely removed all six bolts. SUCCESS... I thought.
I thouroghly removed all of the loctite with a dental pick, then acetone on the female side. I then used a steel brush and cleaned the female threads. I then cleaned the bolts with a wire brush on a wheel. Acetone 3 or four more times, cleaning very thuroghtly, making sure not to get oils from my hands on the bolts. Cleaning, blowing with compressed air, acetone repeat... Maybe even too many times, but I was determined to not screw this up!!!.

As a final check I decided to make sure that all was well and hand screwed the bolt in to make sure that it went in smoothly. I used the same bolt on three holes and it went in pretty dang smooth. The third one was nearly all the way in (about 1/8" less than all the way in (simulating prop flange thickness)) and then it got stuck!! I thought surely it can't really be stuck, I'm not cross threaded and it went in smooth. So I got out my wrench to back it out. Now it's stuck enough that it turns over the engine and I don't have the prop flange on so it's tricky to keep the engine from turning over.

I only have two theories as to how this could have happened.

1) A little bit of steel from my brush has lodged itself in between the threads???

2) The cleaning action of my steel brush rounded off the threads a bit and is causing an extremely tight fit?

3) The loctite 620 that I thought was completely cleaned off was actually still there in a residual form and the acetone that I thought was dry was still a little wet and reactivated the 620?? This one is a long shot. As I really cleaned these puppies.

I need help and worst case scenarios here. I am going to have nightmares about having to replace a crankshaft on account of this.

What would a good machinist do to get this thing out?

- The Matronics JabiruEngine-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List

Finally Flying
selwyn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:57 am    Post subject: Re: STUCK PROP FLANGE BOLT- HELP ME PLEASE Reply with quote

Don't know what a good machinist would do, but I'd get a mate with a big screwdriver in the ring gear to stop the crank turning and allow you to get some purchase on the stud. You could also apply some heat as before.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

naftalih(at)hotmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:59 am    Post subject: STUCK PROP FLANGE BOLT- HELP ME PLEASE Reply with quote

You can grab the crank with a pipe wrench and a rag in between.

[quote] Subject: STUCK PROP FLANGE BOLT- HELP ME PLEASE
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 21:31:51 -0800
To: jabiruengine-list(at)matronics.com

--> JabiruEngine-List message posted by: "MHerder" <michaelherder(at)beckgroup.com>

This evening I decided to prepare for the final installation of my 2.5" prop hub extension on my 3300. In strict accordance with the service bulletins I heated the flange and bolts while protecting the rubber seals with a wet rag and I safely removed all six bolts. SUCCESS... I thought.

I thouroghly removed all of the loctite with a dental pick, then acetone on the female side. I then used a steel brush and cleaned the female threads. I then cleaned the bolts with a wire brush on a wheel. Acetone 3 or four more times, cleaning very thuroghtly, making sure not to get oils from my hands on the bolts. Cleaning, blowing with compressed air, acetone repeat... Maybe even too many times, but I was determined to not screw this up!!!.

As a final check I decided to make sure that all was well and hand screwed the bolt in to make sure that it went in smoothly. I used the same bolt on three holes and it went in pretty dang smooth. The third one was nearly all the way in (about 1/8" less than all the way in (simulating prop flange thickness)) and then it got stuck!! I thought surely it can't really be stuck, I'm not cross threaded and it went in smooth. So I got out my wrench to back it out. Now it's stuck enough that it turns over the engine and I don't have the prop flange on so it's tricky to keep the engine from turning over.

1) A little bit of steel from my brush has lodged itself in between the threads???

2) The cleaning action of my steel brush rounded off the threads a bit and is causing an extremely tight fit?

3) The loctite 620 that I thought was completely cleaned off was actually still there in a residual form and the acetone that I thought was dry was still a little wet and reactivated the 620?? This one is a long shot. As I really cleaned these puppies.

I need help and worst case scenarios here. I am going to have nightmares about having to replace a crankshaft on account of this.

--------
One Rivet at a Time!

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=288699#288699

>

Hotmail: PowerGBL/go/201469230/direct/01/' target='_new'>Get it now.
Quote:
[b]

elleryweld(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:53 am    Post subject: STUCK PROP FLANGE BOLT- HELP ME PLEASE Reply with quote

I cant help but to tell you to " FIRE " your mechanic ..........Doesn't that Crank shaft have Threaded inserts Pushed into that Crankflange if so you could cut the bolt get everything out of your way and push that Treaded insert out of the Crank and install a new one

Ellery Batchelder Jr.

--

MHerder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: STUCK PROP FLANGE BOLT- HELP ME PLEASE Reply with quote

Heres a couple photos

P1010510.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  2.18 MB
 Viewed:  8472 Time(s)

P1010510.JPG

Finally Flying
Lynn Matteson

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:37 am    Post subject: STUCK PROP FLANGE BOLT- HELP ME PLEASE Reply with quote

OUCH! I don't like the idea of pipe wrenches anywhere near the
crankshaft....maybe that's just me, though. The best idea would be a
flywheel turner, but I'm guessing you won't have one, so how about
some c-clamps applied to the flywheel, over thin plywood...1/4" or
so...so as to not mar the flywheel. Locate the clamps so they bear
against something other than the coil mounts or the "spider" that
supports the alternator...perhaps a strategically located 2x4 that
the clamp could bear against while you attempt to remove the stuck bolt.

If the pipe wrench is gonna do any good, it must bite into something,
and I don't think the rag is that something....unless it doesn't take
very much to loosen that stuck bolt.

Could you stand the engine on its' rear and let some Liquid Wrench
soak into the problem hole? Or maybe more acetone if that doesn't
help. Try turning the bolt back in a little, and then back and forth
while the penetrating fluid does its thing.

Another method might be to drill the naughty bolt
lengthwise....you'll know when you've drilled through the
bolt.....and apply oil, or...maybe a bit extreme....tap the end of
the bolt with a 1/4-28 tap and screw in a Zerk fitting, apply a
grease gun and lube from the inside out. I think most hardware store
Zerk fittings are 1/4-28, but get the fittings before tapping. Then
do the back and forth thing with the allen wrench, and you might get
lucky.

The next time, I'd cut a groove into one of the old bolts (you're
gonna use 6 new bolts, right? RIGHT!) so it resembles a tap, with a
sharp "leading edge" and use that to clean out the crap inside the
bolt holes. Then oil up one or more of the new bolts, and try them
for depth of penetration, like you were doing. Then wash them and the
holes again, and proceed according to the instructions via Jabiru.

Lynn Matteson
Kitfox IV Speedster, taildragger
Jabiru 2200, #2062, 860.4 hrs (since 3-27-2006)
Countdown to 1000 hrs~140 to go(145 days to go)
Sensenich 62"x46" Wood (summer)
Sensenich 55.5" x 46" Wood (winter)
Electroair direct-fire ignition system
Rotec TBI-40 injection
On Mar 1, 2010, at 6:45 AM, Naftali Horowitz wrote:

Quote:
You can grab the crank with a pipe wrench and a rag in between.

> Subject: STUCK PROP FLANGE BOLT- HELP ME PLEASE
> From: michaelherder(at)beckgroup.com
> Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 21:31:51 -0800
> To: jabiruengine-list(at)matronics.com
>
>
<michaelherder(at)beckgroup.com>
>
> Guys I'm having a really crappy night.
>
>
> This evening I decided to prepare for the final installation of
my 2.5" prop hub extension on my 3300. In strict accordance with
the service bulletins I heated the flange and bolts while
protecting the rubber seals with a wet rag and I safely removed all
six bolts. SUCCESS... I thought.
>
>
> I thouroghly removed all of the loctite with a dental pick, then
acetone on the female side. I then used a steel brush and cleaned
the female threads. I then cleaned the bolts with a wire brush on a
wheel. Acetone 3 or four more times, cleaning very thuroghtly,
making sure not to get oils from my hands on the bolts. Cleaning,
blowing with compressed air, acetone repeat... Maybe even too many
times, but I was determined to not screw this up!!!.
>
> As a final check I decided to make sure that all was well and
hand screwed the bolt in to make sure that it went in smoothly. I
used the same bolt on three holes and it went in pretty dang
smooth. The third one was nearly all the way in (about 1/8" less
than all the way in (simulating prop flange thickness)) and then it
got stuck!! I thought surely it can't really be stuck, I'm not
cross threaded and it went in smooth. So I got out my wrench to
back it out. Now it's stuck enough that it turns over the engine
and I don't have the prop flange on so it's tricky to keep the
engine from turning over.
>
> I only have two theories as to how this could have happened.
>
> 1) A little bit of steel from my brush has lodged itself in
between the threads???
>
> 2) The cleaning action of my steel brush rounded off the threads
a bit and is causing an extremely tight fit?
>
> 3) The loctite 620 that I thought was completely cleaned off was
actually still there in a residual form and the acetone that I
thought was dry was still a little wet and reactivated the 620??
This one is a long shot. As I really cleaned these puppies.
>
> I need help and worst case scenarios here. I am going to have
nightmares about having to replace a crankshaft on account of this.
>
> What would a good machinist do to get this thing out?
>
> --------
> One Rivet at a Time!
>
>
>
>
> Read this topic online here:
>
> http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=288699#288699
>
>
>
> >
>
>

Hotmail: PowerGBL/go/201469230/direct/01/' target='_new'>Get it
============================================================ _-
============================================================ _-
contribution_-
============================================================

MHerder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: STUCK PROP FLANGE BOLT- HELP ME PLEASE Reply with quote

My wheels are turning in my head and I think I’ve devised a plan.

I will take the old and otherwise useless old prop flange off, I will then drill one of the holes in said flange (old and useless one) big enough that it fits over the the cap (head) of the allen bolt.

I will then thoroughly reclean and oil the other holes (to make sure that I don’t repeat this debacle) and put at least three bolts into the flange old flange that, and at least now I will have something to keep the engine from turning over now. The real question is, am I going to snap the head of this bolt and if I do, what is plan B?

Has anyone ever broken the cap bolt off, and if so how did you recover from that folly?
Any objections?

Finally Flying
tonyplane(at)bellsouth.ne

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:11 am    Post subject: STUCK PROP FLANGE BOLT- HELP ME PLEASE Reply with quote

MIchael,

Just in case you have not tried it, See the NOTE at the bottom of page 1 of JSB 022-1 dated 10/23/01:

"NOTE: To prevent crankshaft from turning, use a suitable tool & lock the crankshaft. This is done by positioing a tool on the ring gear teeth or with a bar under the first set of flhywheel magnets & the reas set of magnets."

I used a large screwdriver wedged in a ring gear tooth, and the same to check torque at annuals.

Tony Graziano

N493TGl; 558 smooth running hrs on Jab3300A #33A644

To: jabiruengine-list(at)matronics.com
Sent: Sun, February 28, 2010 11:31:51 PM
Subject: STUCK PROP FLANGE BOLT- HELP ME PLEASE

--> JabiruEngine-List message posted by: "MHerder" <michaelherder(at)beckgroup.com (michaelherder(at)beckgroup.com)>

--------
One Rivet at a Time!

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=288699#288699

[quote][b]

Lynn Matteson

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject: STUCK PROP FLANGE BOLT- HELP ME PLEASE Reply with quote

The tool they are referring to consists of a 1/2" square, long bar,
with an offset bar hinged to it, and it is applied to the flywheel to
hold it in place, either using a helper, or just letting the long bar
end rest against the motor mount or something stable. This "flywheel
turning tool" is pretty cheap, and I've had one in my toolbox for
years....I'll bet the one I've got cost more than the ones available
today (think Harbor Freight) : )

Lynn Matteson
Kitfox IV Speedster, taildragger
Jabiru 2200, #2062, 860.4 hrs (since 3-27-2006)
Countdown to 1000 hrs~140 to go(145 days to go)
Sensenich 62"x46" Wood (summer)
Sensenich 55.5" x 46" Wood (winter)
Electroair direct-fire ignition system
Rotec TBI-40 injection
On Mar 1, 2010, at 11:03 AM, tonyplane wrote:

Quote:
MIchael,

Just in case you have not tried it, See the NOTE at the bottom of
page 1 of JSB 022-1 dated 10/23/01:

"NOTE: To prevent crankshaft from turning, use a suitable tool &
lock the crankshaft. This is done by positioing a tool on the ring
gear teeth or with a bar under the first set of flhywheel magnets &
the reas set of magnets."

I used a large screwdriver wedged in a ring gear tooth, and the
same to check torque at annuals.
Tony Graziano

N493TGl; 558 smooth running hrs on Jab3300A #33A644

Roger Lee

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: STUCK PROP FLANGE BOLT- HELP ME PLEASE Reply with quote

What have you been using to heat the area with? If it is just a heat gun then use a propane torch. You aren't getting it hot enough. Heat the area around the bolt a little hotter and quicker it will come out. You are not trying to make this red hot just hotter than the heat gun will get it. Don't apply any heat to the bolt.

Light Sport Repairman
Home 520-574-1080 TRY HOME FIRST
Cell 520-349-7056
chuck960

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: STUCK PROP FLANGE BOLT- HELP ME PLEASE Reply with quote

Soaking penetrating fluid into the threads overnight might help.
You might have broken a thread and it's locked the bolt.
Sometimes a little crap on the threads can make it seem like it will never budge and then a little lube and it's turning freely.
If you get the bolt to move you might have to turn it ccw and cw and try to get it to go further each time.
If you snap it off you have to drill it out an re-tap it. This can be done without damaging the hole but it takes some practice. Find someone that knows how to do this.
An easy out probably wont help if a hex wrench can't budge it.
Just some thoughts.
Lots of good advise above as well.
Chuck
Ch650/Jab3300

MHerder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: STUCK PROP FLANGE BOLT- HELP ME PLEASE:UPDATE Reply with quote

Hey guys,

To all those that have helped including Pete at US Jabiru (working at 10PM on a weekday evening talking to the Aussies) Thanks a bunch. Great customer support as usual. At this point in time I have removed the bolt... That's the good news, the bad news is that some thread came with it. I'd say that I still have half of the threads (deeper in) are entirely untouched, and that the "front" threads are damaged but still grab onto a bolt within a half a turn (so there is still a good bit of engagement).

The direction given thus far from Jabiru has been to retap, clean up the threads and attempt to torque to full 30 ft #'s. If I don't get the full torque value, we'll reinvestigate and look for some other solutions.

I've also purchased some longer UNBRAKO series 1960 Socket Cap screws as specified with material certficate data and will probably use a one inch bolt in lieu of the 3/4" standard for 1 of the six bolts. I'll be sure to double check that it isn't bottoming out and giving me a false torque value, but my initial measurements show that it should not bottom out as the hole is nearly about .95" deep and the prop hub is about 5/16" plus a bellville washer. I'll catch a few more threads than I would have if I used the 3/4". I'll also be making every attempt possible to safety wire even though it may be damn near impossible deep in that hub..

If I was reading this post, I'd have been thinking that this is impossible and that this bone head MHERDER had to have cross threaded this thing. While I'll admit that I have cross threaded many things in my life doing bone headed things, this was not one of those instances. My only two theories as to how this could have happened are now revised.

1) I got a little to agressive cleaning the bolts with the wire wheel and rounded off th threads. However, please note that I used the same bolt to teast two other holes with no issues prior to the unlucky one...
2) A piece of steel wire from my brush came loose in the hole that I was cleaning and caused it to jump a thread.

Finally Flying
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> JabiruEngine-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: