Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

wheel tracking
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brubakermal(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:51 pm    Post subject: wheel tracking Reply with quote

I have worn the OUT side of my tires after I determined if it is towed in or out can I shim the plate that holds the axel ass. on?

Malcolm Brubaker
Michigan Sport
Pilot Repair
LSRM-A, PPC, WS
(989)513-3022

--- On Wed, 2/17/10, fox5flyer <fox5flyer(at)idealwifi.net> wrote:
Quote:

Subject: Clear tubing
To: "Kitfox List" <kitfox-list(at)matronics.com>
Date: Wednesday, February 17, 2010, 9:04 PM

I'm down for annual and I'm changing out my tubing for the sight gauges and vent lines. I have always used Tygon tubing (1/4"ID) and although it stays flexible, the best I can get from it is 2 years before it yellows so badly that it is no longer easy to see the fuel levels.
Can anyone recommend a tubing for this purpose that can stand up to auto gas and last a little longer than 2 years, or is this the best I'm going to get considering the circumstances?
Any input appreciated.
Deke Morisse
Mikado Michigan
S5/Subaru/CAP 438+ TT
"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara
Desert, in five years there'd be a shortage of sand."
-- Nobel prize-winning economist Milton Friedman (1912-2006)

Quote:
http://www.matronics.ofollow" target="_blank" href="http://forums.matronics.com">http://foru -
-->

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List
PMorel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:17 am    Post subject: wheel tracking Reply with quote

Malcolm

Before you consider attempting to change the tracking of your wheels, consider this. What I'm talking about is the gear leg that uses bungee cords and not the grove gear. With bungee cords, the gear is toe in to keep the bungee cords from extending and wheels spreading outward during taxi and take-off. Naturally, if the wheels were toe out, then the gears would want to spread out and the bungee cords would stretch. The perfect scenario would be to have a straight track, but even with that, I think you may be looking for a potential problem. You need to decide if replacement of the tires and expense outweighs the possibility of bungee cord breaking and more expensive damage and repairs.

Paul Morel
Model IV Speedster
Locust Grove GA

[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

www.WingsAirPhotos.com
Float Flyr

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:26 am    Post subject: wheel tracking Reply with quote

Whether you want toe in or toe out depends on whether you have conventional gear or tricycle gear.

On conventional gear toe in will make the plane very squirrely while landing. If the tail goes one side or other on landing the main gear will swerve the opposite direction this can lead to a ground loop.

On tricycle gear toe in is not really necessary as the CG of the plane tends to keep things straight. However some planes do have a little toe in to help assist in keeping the plane straight.

Either way toe in or toe out the shift from straight is usually about 1 degree max.

If you are worried about your bungee gear not being able to handle a little toe out then you better stay away from grass strips where it will get far more workout. These are very light planes and if your tires are wearing on the outside it sounds to me like you have way too much toe in.

My plane a model III-A ( That is what it was sold as by Denney) The toe in can only be changes by de-tempering the welds of the legs, using brute force, then re-tempering the joints. If your axel stub is bolted to the leg/s then I assume you do have a spring leg.

Noel

From: owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of PMorel
Sent: February 18, 2010 12:45 PM
To: brubakermal(at)yahoo.com; kitfox-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: re: wheel tracking

Malcolm

Before you consider attempting to change the tracking of your wheels, consider this. What I'm talking about is the gear leg that uses bungee cords and not the grove gear. With bungee cords, the gear is toe in to keep the bungee cords from extending and wheels spreading outward during taxi and take-off. Naturally, if the wheels were toe out, then the gears would want to spread out and the bungee cords would stretch. The perfect scenario would be to have a straight track, but even with that, I think you may be looking for a potential problem. You need to decide if replacement of the tires and expense outweighs the possibility of bungee cord breaking and more expensive damage and repairs.

Paul Morel

Model IV Speedster

Locust Grove GA

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

Tom Jones

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: wheel tracking Reply with quote

Malcom, from your measurements...3 5/16" between both wheels in six feet... my rough calculation is that each wheel is toed in about 2 degrees if they are toed in equally. That doesn't seem like much if you are happy with how it handles.

Ellensburg, WA
lcfitt(at)sbcglobal.net

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:00 am    Post subject: wheel tracking Reply with quote

I put the 3-5/16" over 72" in my drawing program and it comes out to be
2.79°

Lowell
---

Float Flyr

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:34 am    Post subject: wheel tracking Reply with quote

Just out of curiosity Lowell did you use the straight forward distance as
the 72"or the hypotenuse as 72"?

Noel

--

Lynn Matteson

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:19 pm    Post subject: wheel tracking Reply with quote

If the initial measurement was taken after the plane was pushed
backwards, the measurement was done incorrectly. The plane must be
pushed forward 8-10 feet to neutralize the landing gear before any
measurement will make any sense. The plane in question might be
different, however.

Lynn Matteson
Kitfox IV Speedster, taildragger
Jabiru 2200, #2062, 855 hrs (since 3-27-2006)
Countdown to 1000 hrs~145 to go(157 days to go)
Sensenich 62"x46" Wood (summer)
Sensenich 55.5" x 46" Wood (winter)
Electroair direct-fire ignition system
Rotec TBI-40 injection
On Feb 19, 2010, at 1:26 PM, Noel Loveys wrote:

Quote:

Just out of curiosity Lowell did you use the straight forward
distance as
the 72"or the hypotenuse as 72"?

Noel

lcfitt(at)sbcglobal.net

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:28 pm    Post subject: wheel tracking Reply with quote

Noel,

I just drew a 72" line with approximately 2-5/16 offset and had the program
calculate the angle. My guess was that original measurements were eyeballed
and and that is what I did on the computer. It has been over 50 years since
I had trig, so the cosine stuff was way out of my league.

Lowell
---

brubakermal(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:04 pm    Post subject: wheel tracking Reply with quote

i did back the plane in the hanger then took of the tires and rime and used the wheel hubs for the straight edge. should I put the wheels back on and push the plane into the hanger then take the wheels off to take the measurements? and once again was your calculations 1.25 or 2.78deg off and at 1.25 deg will the tires wear badly?

Malcolm Brubaker
Michigan Sport
Pilot Repair
LSRM-A, PPC, WS
(989)513-3022

--- On Fri, 2/19/10, Lowell Fitt <lcfitt(at)sbcglobal.net> wrote:
[quote]
Subject: Re: re: wheel tracking
To: kitfox-list(at)matronics.com
Date: Friday, February 19, 2010, 10:24 PM

--> Kitfox-List message posted by: "Lowell Fitt" <[url=/mc/compose?to=lcfitt(at)sbcglobal.net]lcfitt(at)sbcglobal.net[/url]>

Noel,

I just drew a 72" line with approximately 2-5/16 offset and had the program
calculate the angle. My guess was that original measurements were eyeballed
and and that is what I did on the computer. It has been over 50 years since
I had trig, so the cosine stuff was way out of my league.

Lowell
---

lcfitt(at)sbcglobal.net

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:22 pm    Post subject: wheel tracking Reply with quote

Malcolm,
I calculated total toe in as you gave a measurement that gave total
difference front to back of your rods. I think Noel gave the toe in for
each wheel. His combined would be 2.25°, which is close to my calculation.

I have done several such measurements on different landing gear sets and the
right and left are usually not the same. I have found on occasion that the
total discrepancy is on one gear leg alone.

Regarding your question, I think I would go on the feel of the airplane on
landing - if it doesn't feel squirrely to you, I would ignore it. If you
are concerned with tire wear, you might consider tweaking it, but that
procedure can be a challenge. What you might do is remount the tires so you
will wear the opposite side.

Lowell

---

Float Flyr

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:32 am    Post subject: wheel tracking Reply with quote

Lowell I did it the olod fashioned way... almost my slide rule is in my car
Wink

I used a straight ahead measurement of 72" as an adjacent side and 2.3125 as
an opposite side then calculated the tan (t=O/A) to be 0.03211805556 the
anti tan of which was 1.839---- deg

Then for comparison I used the 72 inches as a hypotenuse and the sine
function (S=O/H) I would get 1.840...deg

For anyone else reading I'm not getting into significant figures but I
suppose that the measurements were good to three decimal places.

P.S. I wonder if I can still do the calculations on the slide rule Wink

Noel

--

Float Flyr

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:32 am    Post subject: wheel tracking Reply with quote

As usual Lowell you are spot on!

Noel

--

brubakermal(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:51 am    Post subject: wheel tracking Reply with quote

well it dos feel squirrelly on landing I will look into taking measurements to decide if one is out of tow moor than the other. and i have already turned the tires around thank you for youre input mal

Malcolm Brubaker
Michigan Sport
Pilot Repair
LSRM-A, PPC, WS
(989)513-3022

--- On Sat, 2/20/10, Noel Loveys <noelloveys(at)yahoo.ca> wrote:
[quote]
Subject: RE: re: wheel tracking
Date: Saturday, February 20, 2010, 4:31 PM

--> Kitfox-List message posted by: "Noel Loveys" <[url=/mc/compose?to=noelloveys(at)yahoo.ca]noelloveys(at)yahoo.ca[/url]>

As usual Lowell you are spot on!

Noel

--

7suds(at)Chartermi.net

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:33 pm    Post subject: wheel tracking Reply with quote

Guys,
Not trying to be controversial or say I know better than anyone else how to setup gear legs, just my 2 cents worth on what I did on my last model 4 with bungee gear and I was pleased with the handling results. I set my wheels so they were between straight and slightly toed out. My reasoning was based off some experience I had racing snowmobile ovals. The reason being as you entered a corner and if your weight got shifted hard to the outside of the sled for whatever reason (which sometimes would happen hitting ruts and holes) you did not want that outside ski to dart the sled back to the inside since your weight was already headed in the other direction, it would jettison you from the sled for sure. My thoughts were to apply the same thinking to the tail dragger, if you get a little squirrelly on landing and the plane rocks to the outside and loads that gear, I did not want it darting the plane back the other way. So that is why I set up my gear as such. It worked great for me. I have landed my 4 at a variety of paved strips in cross winds of 15 gusting to 20 (that’s another story) and have never had a problem with ground handling or the plane getting squirrely on me. But as has been stated here before, in the end it is all about what works for you and experimenting with what is not working to get results you are happy with, so with that said, here is something else to consider / ponder as you seek the perfect setup. Also, I have heard it said that setting up the gear slightly toed out would cause your bungee gear to track out and slightly collapse the gear, for me I did not find that to be the case, however, my build was 537 pounds empty.
Lloyd Cudnohufsky
Model 5 912uls IVO IFA
Northern mi. /
A work in progress

well it dos feel squirrelly on landing I will look into taking measurements to decide if one is out of tow moor than the other. and i have already turned the tires around thank you for youre input mal

Malcolm Brubaker
Michigan Sport
Pilot Repair
LSRM-A, PPC, WS
(989)513-3022

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
01:34:00

Kitfox_IV_001.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  44.4 KB
 Viewed:  12236 Time(s)

Kitfox_IV_001.JPG

larry huntley

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:01 pm    Post subject: wheel tracking Reply with quote

As long as you brought it up. I Agree! I flew an Aeronca Chief for a while that had one main a bit toed in. Every time the weight shifted to that side the wheel wanted to track right under the nose and th opposite wing tip would head for the sky. Was fine in a crosswind as long as it was from the correct side. ;o) Larry Huntley 4-1200 Soob 500hrs+
[quote] ---

Fox5flyer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:10 pm    Post subject: wheel tracking Reply with quote

Nice airplane Lloyd. I agree with your assessment 100 percent and you explained it very well. I personally wouldn't recommend that anyone with a taildragger have any toe-in at all. Zero. Neutral to a little toe-out is best, in my opinion.
Deke

[quote] ---

lcfitt(at)sbcglobal.net

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:51 pm    Post subject: wheel tracking Reply with quote

LLoyd,

I couildn't agree more. I also like the illustration with the snowmobiles -
a perfect example. And a very nice looking airplane - I like the scheme.
I am getting ready to paint and all bets are still on the table.

Lowell

---

7suds(at)Chartermi.net

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:02 pm    Post subject: wheel tracking Reply with quote

Deke,
Thanks for the compliment. That was my Model 4 XL, attached is a pic of my Model 5 I am working on. (Shooting to have it in the air this summer) It is a little bit farther along than the picture. Tail feathers, wheel pants and cowl are on and the cowl painted. I have one wing to finish repairs on and paint and both wingtips to repair. I am currently installing the IVO IFA Prop, I’m changing the brush location for the prop pitch motor so it is transferred through the hollow gearbox main shaft to behind the gearbox.
Lloyd Cudnohufsky
Model 5 912ul IVO IFA
Northern mi. /
A work in progress

From: owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of fox5flyer
Sent: Sunday, February 21, 2010 4:05 PM
Subject: Re: re: wheel tracking

Nice airplane Lloyd. I agree with your assessment 100 percent and you explained it very well. I personally wouldn't recommend that anyone with a taildragger have any toe-in at all. Zero. Neutral to a little toe-out is best, in my opinion.

Deke

Quote:

Quote:
http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-Listhttp://forums.matronics.comhttp://www.matronics.com/contribution

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

058.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  675.61 KB
 Viewed:  12225 Time(s)

058.JPG

7suds(at)Chartermi.net

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:19 pm    Post subject: wheel tracking Reply with quote

Lowell,
Thanks for the compliments, I enjoyed the time I spent designing and
painting the plane and am enjoying designing and applying the paint scheme
to the model 5 I am building now as well. I look forward to seeing what you
come up with, I have seen allot of beautiful and creative designs come off
this list, (and to be honest I have borrowed and built on a few)
Lloyd Cudnohufsky
Model 5 912ul IVO IFA
Northern Mi.
A work in Progress

--

Don G

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: wheel tracking Reply with quote

Thats a great black and white paint scheme...on N197BR...is that a Model 4 or 5????

Luscombe 8A
RV9A
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: