Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fwd: Canopy Breaker Tool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RVSouthEast-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Larry Bowen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:48 pm    Post subject: Fwd: Canopy Breaker Tool Reply with quote

FYI. --
Larry Bowen
Larry(at)BowenAero.com
http://BowenAero.com
do not archive

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Paul Burton <pburton5(at)cfl.rr.com (pburton5(at)cfl.rr.com)>
Date: Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 7:01 PM
Subject: Canopy Breaker Tool
To: larry(at)bowenaero.com (larry(at)bowenaero.com)

Dear Mr. Larry Bowen – RV Builders Group of the Triad

I am writing to you concerning a safety item I have developed for light aircraft and what your interest would be in providing it for your aviation operations.  It is a Canopy Breaker Tool targeted for aircraft with bubble canopies, but will obviously work on any type of windscreen or side window of any aircraft.  When I previously flew military fighter aircraft, we generally had some type of Canopy Breaker Tool installed in the aircraft for that ‘one time event’ of being trapped in the cockpit, and the canopy would not open and all normal means of extrication were exhausted.  Having spoken to many pilots who fly Vans, Light Sport, Aerobatic and some others a recurring topic is how to get out of an airplane that has upset or the canopy is jammed from some type of emergency situation.  Most agree they don’t have a good plan or tool to use.  Reflecting on past experience I have developed a tool which is light weight (10 ounces, 6” x 1”), strong and is simply attached to an airframe or seat member in the cockpit near the PIC, and in an emergency situation it can be easily released and you can break the canopy and get out of the aircraft quickly. 

This Canopy Breaker Tool retails for $39.00.  Attached is an overview of the tool, plus the document that would go into the POH and a picture of the Canopy Breaker Tool.

Thank you in advance for your time and please let me know your thoughts on this, and if this is something your customers would like for their own aircraft for safety and survival.

Paul Burton
Sabre Aviation, Inc.
pburton5(at)cfl.rr.com (pburton5(at)cfl.rr.com)
386.788.1494 Office
317.697.5026 Mobile
815.301.9246 Fax

- The Matronics RVSouthEast-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RVSouthEast-List

Piranha_Canopy_Breaker_Tool1.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Piranha_Canopy_Breaker_Tool1.pdf
 Filesize:  94.26 KB
 Downloaded:  3238 Time(s)

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
bill(at)repucci.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:09 pm    Post subject: Fwd: Canopy Breaker Tool Reply with quote

Larry,

Do you know if this is just a chunk of metal or is there some type of spring loaded pin in it? I have followed a number of threads on this subject on the VAF forum and one thing that comes up is that when you are upside down, strapped in the cockpit, there is no room to get a good enough swing at the canopy to break it.

If this is just an aluminum handle, I wonder if it would work any better than those orange plastic hammers that Car-and-Driver tested on car windows and found out they would even bust those.

Bill

From: owner-rvsoutheast-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rvsoutheast-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Larry Bowen
Sent: Tuesday, March 30, 2010 10:32 PM
To: SERV
Subject: Fwd: Canopy Breaker Tool

FYI.
--
Larry Bowen
Larry(at)BowenAero.com
do not archive

I am writing to you concerning a safety item I have developed for light aircraft and what your interest would be in providing it for your aviation operations. It is a Canopy Breaker Tool targeted for aircraft with bubble canopies, but will obviously work on any type of windscreen or side window of any aircraft. When I previously flew military fighter aircraft, we generally had some type of Canopy Breaker Tool installed in the aircraft for that ‘one time event’ of being trapped in the cockpit, and the canopy would not open and all normal means of extrication were exhausted. Having spoken to many pilots who fly Vans, Light Sport, Aerobatic and some others a recurring topic is how to get out of an airplane that has upset or the canopy is jammed from some type of emergency situation. Most agree they don’t have a good plan or tool to use. Reflecting on past experience I have developed a tool which is light weight (10 ounces, 6” x 1”), strong and is simply attached to an airframe or seat member in the cockpit near the PIC, and in an emergency situation it can be easily released and you can break the canopy and get out of the aircraft quickly.

This Canopy Breaker Tool retails for $39.00. Attached is an overview of the tool, plus the document that would go into the POH and a picture of the Canopy Breaker Tool.

Thank you in advance for your time and please let me know your thoughts on this, and if this is something your customers would like for their own aircraft for safety and survival.

Paul Burton
Sabre Aviation, Inc.
386.788.1494 Office
317.697.5026 Mobile
815.301.9246 Fax

No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
02:32:00
[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

N941WR

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:42 pm    Post subject: Fwd: Canopy Breaker Tool Reply with quote

Bill Repucci <bill(at)repucci.com> wrote:

Quote:
Larry,

Do you know if this is just a chunk of metal or is there some type of spring
loaded pin in it? I have followed a number of threads on this subject on
the VAF forum and one thing that comes up is that when you are upside down,
strapped in the cockpit, there is no room to get a good enough swing at the
canopy to break it.

If this is just an aluminum handle, I wonder if it would work any better
than those orange plastic hammers that Car-and-Driver tested on car windows
and found out they would even bust those.

Bill

[mailto:owner-rvsoutheast-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Larry
Bowen

FYI.
--
Larry Bowen
Larry(at)BowenAero.com
do not archive

To: larry(at)bowenaero.com

Dear Mr. Larry Bowen - RV Builders Group of the Triad

I am writing to you concerning a safety item I have developed for light
aircraft and what your interest would be in providing it for your aviation
operations. It is a Canopy Breaker Tool targeted for aircraft with bubble
canopies, but will obviously work on any type of windscreen or side window
of any aircraft. When I previously flew military fighter aircraft, we
generally had some type of Canopy Breaker Tool installed in the aircraft for
that 'one time event' of being trapped in the cockpit, and the canopy would
not open and all normal means of extrication were exhausted. Having spoken
to many pilots who fly Vans, Light Sport, Aerobatic and some others a
recurring topic is how to get out of an airplane that has upset or the
canopy is jammed from some type of emergency situation. Most agree they
don't have a good plan or tool to use. Reflecting on past experience I have
developed a tool which is light weight (10 ounces, 6" x 1"), strong and is
simply attached to an airframe or seat member in the cockpit near the PIC,
and in an emergency situation it can be easily released and you can break
the canopy and get out of the aircraft quickly.

This Canopy Breaker Tool retails for $39.00. Attached is an overview of the
tool, plus the document that would go into the POH and a picture of the
Canopy Breaker Tool.

Thank you in advance for your time and please let me know your thoughts on
this, and if this is something your customers would like for their own
aircraft for safety and survival.

Paul Burton

Sabre Aviation, Inc.

pburton5(at)cfl.rr.com

386.788.1494 Office

317.697.5026 Mobile

815.301.9246 Fax

Larry Bowen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:42 pm    Post subject: Fwd: Canopy Breaker Tool Reply with quote

Ya, thats something to consider.  It's just a hunk-o-metal I think.  I haven't studied it too close. --
Larry Bowen
Larry(at)BowenAero.com

On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 1:05 AM, Bill Repucci <bill(at)repucci.com (bill(at)repucci.com)> wrote:
[quote]
Larry,

Do you know if this is just a chunk of metal or is there some type of spring loaded pin in it?  I have followed a number of threads on this subject on the VAF forum and one thing that comes up is that when you are upside down, strapped in the cockpit, there is no room to get a good enough swing at the canopy to break it.

If this is just an aluminum handle, I wonder if it would work any better than those orange plastic hammers that Car-and-Driver tested on car windows and found out they would even bust those.

Bill

From: owner-rvsoutheast-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rvsoutheast-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-rvsoutheast-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rvsoutheast-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Larry Bowen

FYI. 
--
Larry Bowen
Larry(at)BowenAero.com
do not archive

I am writing to you concerning a safety item I have developed for light aircraft and what your interest would be in providing it for your aviation operations.  It is a Canopy Breaker Tool targeted for aircraft with bubble canopies, but will obviously work on any type of windscreen or side window of any aircraft.  When I previously flew military fighter aircraft, we generally had some type of Canopy Breaker Tool installed in the aircraft for that ‘one time event’ of being trapped in the cockpit, and the canopy would not open and all normal means of extrication were exhausted.  Having spoken to many pilots who fly Vans, Light Sport, Aerobatic and some others a recurring topic is how to get out of an airplane that has upset or the canopy is jammed from some type of emergency situation.  Most agree they don’t have a good plan or tool to use.  Reflecting on past experience I have developed a tool which is light weight (10 ounces, 6” x 1”), strong and is simply attached to an airframe or seat member in the cockpit near the PIC, and in an emergency situation it can be easily released and you can break the canopy and get out of the aircraft quickly. 

This Canopy Breaker Tool retails for $39.00.  Attached is an overview of the tool, plus the document that would go into the POH and a picture of the Canopy Breaker Tool.

Paul Burton
Sabre Aviation, Inc.
386.788.1494 Office
317.697.5026 Mobile
815.301.9246 Fax

No virus found in this incoming message.
Quote:

st" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RVSouthEast-List
tp://forums.matronics.com
_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[b]

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RVSouthEast-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: