Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mark III xtra down, one fatality, JZI Johns Is, SC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John T. Schmidt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:46 pm    Post subject: Mark III xtra down, one fatality, JZI Johns Is, SC Reply with quote

Gentlemen: I am sadden to report the following it is from todays news from JZI Charleston SC
The Aircraft was a Mark III Xtra and John was a member of the local EAA Chapter and I last spoke with him a month ago, I will send more info when I get some, may he rest in peace.

Sincerely,
John T. Schmidt, CFI
JOHNS ISLAND, SC (WCSC) - Rescue crews from Charleston city and Charleston County responded to a small plane crash on Johns Island late Thursday morning.

Charleston Aviation Authority spokesperson Becky Beaman said the FAA has arrived on scene and the body has been removed from the crash site.

The Charleston County Coroner's office has not identified the pilot yet, but a spokesperson with the FAA identified the pilot as 70-year-old John Ratcliffe of Johns Island.

The Federal Aviation Administration says the kit-built fixed wing single-engine Kolb Mark II Xtra was reported down around noon Thursday at the Charleston Executive Airport on Johns Island, southwest of downtown Charleston.

Rescue personnel are reporting that the plane was an ultralight. It reportedly took off from the Executive Airport and crashed into the marsh shortly after.

The cause of this crash now under investigation.

Beaman said the airport reopened at 5:30 p.m. Thursday

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
mdnanwelch7(at)hotmail.co

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:20 pm    Post subject: Mark III xtra down, one fatality, JZI Johns Is, SC Reply with quote

Now this truly saddens me.  John Ratcliffe and I had extensive off-list corresponces.  I am at a loss of words, and wish the best for his family!

It is always a horrible loss when this happens to a member of our little group.  John will be missed!

Mike Welch 

[quote] Subject: Mark III xtra down, one fatality, JZI Johns Is, SC
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 19:46:57 -0700
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com

--> Kolb-List message posted by: "John T. Schmidt" <adlerflug1(at)yahoo.com>

Gentlemen: I am sadden to report the following it is from todays news from JZI Charleston SC
The Aircraft was a Mark III Xtra and John was a member of the local EAA Chapter and I last spoke with him a month ago, I will send more info when I get some, may he rest in peace.

Sincerely,
John T. Schmidt, CFI

JOHNS ISLAND, SC (WCSC) - Rescue crews from Charleston city and Charleston County responded to a small plane crash on Johns Island late Thursday morning.

Charleston Aviation Authority spokesperson Becky Beaman said the FAA has arrived on scene and the body has been removed from the crash site.

The Charleston County Coroner's office has not identified the pilot yet, but a spokesperson with the FAA identified the pilot as 70-year-old John Ratcliffe of Johns Island.

The Federal Aviation Administration says the kit-built fixed wing single-engine Kolb Mark II Xtra was reported down around noon Thursday at the Charleston Executive Airport on Johns Island, southwest of downtown Charleston.

Rescue personnel are reporting that the plane was an ultralight. It reportedly took off from the Executive Airport and crashed into the marsh shortly after.

The cause of this crash now under investigation.

Beaman said the airport reopened at 5:30 p.m. Thursday

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=292742#292742

&gt==

Hotmail: Trusted email with powerful SPAM protection. Sign up now.
Quote:
[b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

John Hauck

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:57 am    Post subject: Mark III xtra down, one fatality, JZI Johns Is, SC Reply with quote

Gentlemen: I am sadden to report the following it is from todays news from
JZI Charleston SC
The Aircraft was a Mark III Xtra and John was a member of the local EAA
Chapter and I last spoke with him a month ago, I will send more info when I
get some, may he rest in peace.

Sincerely,
John T. Schmidt, CFI
The Charleston County Coroner's office has not identified the pilot yet,
but a spokesperson with the FAA identified the pilot as 70-year-old John
Ratcliffe of Johns Island.

Morning Gang:

I am sorry to hear of John Ratcliffe's accident.

Never met John personally, but corresponded quite a bit with him when he was
preparing to fly his new MKIIIx.

RIP brother.

http://www.wect.com/Global/story.asp?S=12241202

http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2010/apr/02/kit-built-plane-crashes-pilot-killed/

john hauck
mkIII
Titus, Alabama

Titus, Alabama
Ralph B

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Mark III xtra down, one fatality, JZI Johns Is, SC Reply with quote

Sorry to hear this kind of news. It's always disturbing to hear when a pilot goes down. My condolences to his family and friends.

Notice how the news distorts reporting:

"The aircraft are prone to stall, there's no backup system in place, and at low altitudes the pilot doesn't have much time to recover, she said."

In actuality, light aircraft are safe with a good safety record.

Ralph

Kolb Kolbra 912uls
N20386
550 hours
John Hauck

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:52 am    Post subject: Mark III xtra down, one fatality, JZI Johns Is, SC Reply with quote

Notice how the news distorts reporting:

"The aircraft are prone to stall, there's no backup system in place, and at
low altitudes the pilot doesn't have much time to recover, she said."

In actuality, light aircraft are safe with a good safety record.

Ralph

Ralph B/All:

Yes, I noticed how the FAA rep really had some bad, uninformed things to say
about our aircraft.

john hauck
Titus, Alabama

Titus, Alabama
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: