Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Left the Nest Today

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Troy Maynor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:45 pm    Post subject: Left the Nest Today Reply with quote

Hello Friends and Fellow Aviators,

Today at 1145 EDT, at KAVL (Asheville, NC, USA), Europa N120EU broke the surly bonds of Earth and lept into the air on it's maiden voyage. Well, actually the voyage was just orbiting the airport but she did so very well. I was amazed at the short take off, maybe 500 ft someone said. I don't know, I was too busy. I climbed to 5000 ft and the temps and pressures were well with the limits for the whole flight which lasted 35 minutes. I did some manuevers and stalls. No drama except for a left wing drop deep into the stall in dirty configuration. Mostly just mushed. I need a rudder trim tab, need to tighten the tail wheel cables, and recheck the weight and balance. (I needed a bit too much nose down trim for straight and level.) But all in all I am very happy. It went well today. I was worried about the weather. The wind had picked up from earlier in the week, but I couldn't take off work. Turns out that winds were at just 6-10 knots almost straight down the runway.
For the records: It is kit number UK 120, weighed in at 850 lbs, Rotax 912S. Build hours were in excess of 4000, (a lot of mods, plus I'm slow). So now to debug it and enjoy it at long last.
I want to thank each and everyone that has contributed ideas, helped solve problems and encouraged me to keep on keeping on during the long journey of building. It feels great to be up there pushing that stick around and have her respond so gracefully. That's it! Her name will be Grace...after my mom. See yall,

Troy Maynor
Europa Monowheel Classic
Flying

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List

DSC00448.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.82 MB
 Viewed:  7214 Time(s)

DSC00448.JPG

grahamsingleton(at)btinte

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:59 pm    Post subject: Left the Nest Today Reply with quote

Troy
well done, I remember meeting you all those years ago at SnF. Take it steady and stay within your limits particularly weather ( I'm sure you will)
Did you fit the wider tailwheel drive horn? Recommended as well as the tighter spring tension
Graham
still learning French, gotta learn something useful {Wink

To: europa-list(at)matronics.com
Sent: Saturday, 3 April, 2010 22:43:27
Subject: Europa-List: Left the Nest Today

Today at 1145 EDT, at KAVL (Asheville, NC, USA), Europa N120EU broke the surly bonds of Earth and lept into the air on it's maiden voyage. Well, actually the voyage was just orbiting the airport but she did so very well. I was amazed at the short take off, maybe 500 ft someone said. I don't know, I was too busy. I climbed to 5000 ft and the temps and pressures were well with the limits for the whole flight which lasted 35 minutes. I did some manuevers and stalls. No drama except for a left wing drop deep into the stall in dirty configuration. Mostly just mushed. I need a rudder trim tab, need to tighten the tail wheel cables, and recheck the weight and balance. (I needed a bit too much nose down trim for straight and level.) But all in all I am very happy. It went well today. I was worried about the weather. The wind had picked up from earlier in the week, but I couldn't take off work. Turns out that winds were at just 6-10 knots almost straight down the runway.
For the records: It is kit number UK 120, weighed in at 850 lbs, Rotax 912S. Build hours were in excess of 4000, (a lot of mods, plus I'm slow). So now to debug it and enjoy it at long last.
I want to thank each and everyone that has contributed ideas, helped solve problems and encouraged me to keep on keeping on during the long journey of building. It feels great to be up there pushing that stick around and have her respond so gracefully. That's it! Her name will be Grace...after my mom. See yall,

Troy Maynor
Europa Monowheel Classic
Flying

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

topglock(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: Left the Nest Today Reply with quote

Great news, Troy! You've got a week to fly off your forty so you can
fly it to SNF... Wink

Jeff - Baby Blue...

On 4/3/2010 4:43 PM, Troy Maynor wrote:
Quote:
Today at 1145 EDT, at KAVL (Asheville, NC, USA), Europa N120EU broke the
surly bonds of Earth and lept into the air on it's maiden voyage. Well,
actually the voyage was just orbiting the airport but she did so very
well. I was amazed at the short take off, maybe 500 ft someone said. I
don't know, I was too busy. I climbed to 5000 ft and the temps and
pressures were well with the limits for the whole flight which lasted 35
minutes. I did some manuevers and stalls. No drama except for a left
wing drop deep into the stall in dirty configuration. Mostly just
mushed. I need a rudder trim tab, need to tighten the tail wheel cables,
and recheck the weight and balance. (I needed a bit too much nose down
trim for straight and level.) But all in all I am very happy. It went
well today. I was worried about the weather. The wind had picked up from
earlier in the week, but I couldn't take off work. Turns out that winds
were at just 6-10 knots almost straight down the runway.
For the records: It is kit number UK 120, weighed in at 850 lbs, Rotax
912S. Build hours were in excess of 4000, (a lot of mods, plus I'm
slow). So now to debug it and enjoy it at long last.
I want to thank each and everyone that has contributed ideas, helped
solve problems and encouraged me to keep on keeping on during the long
journey of building. It feels great to be up there pushing that stick
around and have her respond so gracefully. That's it! Her name will be
Grace...after my mom. See yall,
Troy Maynor
Europa Monowheel Classic
Flying

Checked by AVG - www.avg.com

kevann(at)gotsky.com

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:09 pm    Post subject: Left the Nest Today Reply with quote

Atta Boy Troy! Now the fun begins. What am awesome little plane...

Kevin
[quote] ---

rlborger(at)mac.com

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:28 pm    Post subject: Left the Nest Today Reply with quote

Troy,

CONGRATULATIONS on a job well done! Looking forward to seeing you at KOSH one of these days.

Bob Borger
Europa Kit #A221 N914XL, XS Mono, Intercooled 914, Airmaster C/S
http://www.europaowners.org/forums/gallery2.php?g2_itemId=60232
http://www.biplaneforumgallery.com/index.php?cat=10046
Europa Flying!
3705 Lynchburg Dr.
Corinth, TX 76208
Home: 940-497-2123
Cel: 817-992-1117

On Apr 3, 2010, at 16:43, Troy Maynor wrote:
Quote:

Troy Maynor
Europa Monowheel Classic
Flying
<DSC00448.JPG>

Jeff(at)rmmm.net

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:24 pm    Post subject: Left the Nest Today Reply with quote

Troy,This is the best news. I know how hard you've worked, dreamed and planed. Just get use to flying her. Get comfortable under most conditions and we'll see ya soon. She looks great with air under her.

Jeff R. N128LJ Gold Rush

On Apr 3, 2010, at 4:43 PM, Troy Maynor wrote:
[quote]

Troy Maynor
Europa Monowheel Classic
Flying
<DSC00448.JPG>
[b]

hurstkr(at)redzone.com.au

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:48 pm    Post subject: Left the Nest Today Reply with quote

Congratulations and all the best from Oz Troy. The photo would indicate that Grace just couldn't wait to get up there! Oh, what a feeling!

Cheers
Kingsley

do not archive
[quote][b]

erichdtrombley(at)juno.co

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:49 am    Post subject: Left the Nest Today Reply with quote

Troy,

Congratulations! I so happy that you got your bird in the air. It is a great feeling. Enjoy!!!!!

Erich Trombley
N28ET Classic Mono 914

http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/4bb8527744fe5d0a63st02vuc

Ivor Phillips

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:51 am    Post subject: Left the Nest Today Reply with quote

congratulations on completing the build and successful first flight, It only gets better from now on, I wish you many years of great flying,

regards
Ivor
G-IVER
---- Troy Maynor <wingnut54(at)charter.net> wrote:
Quote:

Troy Maynor
Europa Monowheel Classic
Flying

frans(at)privatepilots.nl

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:16 am    Post subject: Left the Nest Today Reply with quote

Quote:
Today at 1145 EDT, at KAVL (Asheville, NC, USA), Europa N120EU broke
the surly bonds of Earth and lept into the air on it's maiden voyage.

Congratulations! Looks like a fantastic airplane. Wink Well done!

BTW, I hope I will be next! Can be any day now.

Frans

Brian Davies

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:47 am    Post subject: Left the Nest Today Reply with quote

Congratulations Troy,

Even more special as you were able to do the first flight. I have updated the records. Welcome to the world of Europa Flyers.

Best regards

Brian Davies
The Europa Club, membership sec.

From: owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Troy Maynor
Sent: 03 April 2010 22:43
Subject: Left the Nest Today

Troy Maynor
Europa Monowheel Classic
Flying
[quote][b]

m.grass(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:53 am    Post subject: Left the Nest Today Reply with quote

Troy,

Congratulations, also Sunland Fun might be to aggressive but you might be able to trade in your car ride for an airplane ride to Rough River this year.
[quote] ---

acrojim7534(at)YAHOO.COM

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject: Left the Nest Today Reply with quote

Troy

Having lived in Spruce Pine back in the 70's, Augustene and I knew something good was going to happen in Western North Carolina...Soon.

Then we saw the notice that you had "your first flight" !!!!!! Made our day....Your day in the sunshine is here... It just keeps getting better...All the hard work, weekend's working on a pile of fiberglass. the doubt that this thing is never going to be finished. Well that is now in the past..

"Grace is going to be calling every day, that its VFR, lets go flying...You have taken on a powerful mistress which cannot be ignored.....

HAVE FUN !!!!!!!!!!

Jim and Augustene

Sent: Sat, April 3, 2010 5:43:27 PM
Subject: Left the Nest Today

Troy Maynor
Europa Monowheel Classic
Flying

[quote][b]

ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:04 pm    Post subject: Left the Nest Today Reply with quote

Troy,
Great news. Nice to see another Classic in the air. looks very gracious. Well done from New Zealand.
Tim
Tim Ward
12 Waiwetu Street'
Fendalton,
Christchurch.
NEW ZEALAND

Ph. 64 3 3515166
Mob 021 0640221
Email ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz (ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz)
[quote] ---

h&jeuropa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:20 am    Post subject: Re: Left the Nest Today Reply with quote

Hi Troy,

Congratulations!! Happy to see you in the air.

Jim & Heather

raimo.toivio(at)rwm.fi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:58 am    Post subject: Left the Nest Today Reply with quote

Troy, congratulations!

Isn´t it amazing feeling to understand you are not in a building phase any more?

Now you have an ever lasting permanent flying status for N120EU !

When building, it was (mostly) really fun, but first and always building and building and building and then suddenly almost without warning flying. That was how I felt it. Now - when thinking backwards - it is like an unbelieveble dream "did I really build that dream machine?".

Please be warned: you will soon notice some serious hangover or even deficiency symptom because of your new welcome nonbuildermode!

Enjoy!

Raimo from Finland
OH-XRT Mono #417
[quote] ---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: