Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

new Firefly now in Durham

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bob.kravis(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:41 am    Post subject: new Firefly now in Durham Reply with quote

Well it's been a while but the new plane is finally here.  Last month I bought the blue & yellow FF that was in WA,  and the FF trailer in IL (both on Barnstormers in Feb.).  It was safely shipped to Paxton, IL and loaded onto the new trailer.  I thank all the contributors with suggestions on preparing it for travel on an open trailer.  A small band of brothers-of-the-air helped prep it and it made it back in fine shape.  The only damage was a loose pitot tube mounting plate on the nose cone.  We had quite a few people come over and look when we stopped to eat or get fuel and I guess someone bumped into it.

We got a big roll of bubble wrap and covered the outsides of the wings and then used about a half a roll of stretch wrap (pallet wrap from Home Depot) and covered her up against the weather.  I also secured one blade of the prop to the boom with an extension and some duct tape.  We ran into lots of rain, some snow and some buffeting winds but she came through it all.

Right now she sits under the carport on the trailer with a tarp over her.  The local EAA Chapter 1114 was very helpful in finding some hangar space with one of its members.  I need to get my own insurance (liability only) before taking it there and that is becoming a challenge.  USUA insurance require the pilot hold their training registration and that the plane be registered with them.  The training, as I read it, must be with one of their BFI's and there are none listed in NC.  I am waiting for a call back from the EAA Insurance agent.  Any other suggestions? 

Equally challenging is finding an instructor.  I am trying to find a tailwheel instructor, CFI, for my 7 hours of dual time and I had hoped there would be one at every airport.  Not the case!  I want to complete the EAA UL Pilot Registration so I will need 7 hrs. dual and 3 hrs. supervised solo.  I also want to get some dual time in a two seater Kolb but have not been able to locate one.  I found some old posts searching for NC in the archives but if anybody knows any current owners please let me know.  There is rumor of a 2 place Kolb in Hillsborough, NC and that would be ideal ... but no name or contact info could be found. Sad

Bob
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
herbgh(at)nctc.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:20 pm    Post subject: new Firefly now in Durham Reply with quote

Jim Kmet is on the list...and I thought he did some training in his
MkIII? Herb

At 02:41 PM 4/6/2010, you wrote:
Quote:
Well it's been a while but the new plane is finally here. Last
month I bought the blue & yellow FF that was in WA, and the FF
trailer in IL (both on Barnstormers in Feb.). It was safely shipped
to Paxton, IL and loaded onto the new trailer. I thank all the
contributors with suggestions on preparing it for travel on an open
trailer. A small band of brothers-of-the-air helped prep it and it
made it back in fine shape. The only damage was a loose pitot tube
mounting plate on the nose cone. We had quite a few people come
over and look when we stopped to eat or get fuel and I guess someone
bumped into it.

We got a big roll of bubble wrap and covered the outsides of the
wings and then used about a half a roll of stretch wrap (pallet wrap
from Home Depot) and covered her up against the weather. I also
secured one blade of the prop to the boom with an extension and some
duct tape. We ran into lots of rain, some snow and some buffeting
winds but she came through it all.

Right now she sits under the carport on the trailer with a tarp over
her. The local EAA Chapter 1114 was very helpful in finding some
hangar space with one of its members. I need to get my own
insurance (liability only) before taking it there and that is
becoming a challenge. USUA insurance require the pilot hold their
training registration and that the plane be registered with
them. The training, as I read it, must be with one of their BFI's
and there are none listed in NC. I am waiting for a call back from
the EAA Insurance agent. Any other suggestions?

Equally challenging is finding an instructor. I am trying to find a
tailwheel instructor, CFI, for my 7 hours of dual time and I had
hoped there would be one at every airport. Not the case! I want to
complete the EAA UL Pilot Registration so I will need 7 hrs. dual
and 3 hrs. supervised solo. I also want to get some dual time in a
two seater Kolb but have not been able to locate one. I found some
old posts searching for NC in the archives but if anybody knows any
current owners please let me know. There is rumor of a 2 place Kolb
in Hillsborough, NC and that would be ideal ... but no name or
contact info could be found. Sad

Bob

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

elleryweld(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:12 pm    Post subject: new Firefly now in Durham Reply with quote

Great not to much damage for the long transport on an open trailer

Ellery Batchelder Jr.

--

Dana

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject: new Firefly now in Durham Reply with quote

At 03:41 PM 4/6/2010, Bob Kravis wrote:
Quote:
...I need to get my own insurance (liability only) before taking it there and that is becoming a challenge. USUA insurance require the pilot hold their training registration and that the plane be registered with them. The training, as I read it, must be with one of their BFI's and there are none listed in NC...

Naturally, the BFI program ended with the implementation of Sport Pilot. They'll accept an FAA pilot certificate, of course, and I get the impression that a solo signoff from a CFI is also acceptable. The people at First Flight Insurance (USUA's underwriter) are very helpful and can answer your questions.

-Dana

--
But do you trust the _government_ with semi-automatic assault rifles? [quote][b]

bob.kravis(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:52 am    Post subject: new Firefly now in Durham Reply with quote

I was able to get more information about the USUA Insurance program (the only source) and you are correct in all you say.  The insurance can be had after obtaining an EAA Pilot Registration Form and getting a sign off for solo from a CFI.  Also the EAA Registration for the plane will suffice according to what I've been told. So, I am still trying to locate 1) CFI that teaches in a taildragger and 2) a two seat Kolb for "in type" transition time.
bk

On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 9:35 PM, Dana Hague <d-m-hague(at)comcast.net (d-m-hague(at)comcast.net)> wrote:
[quote] At 03:41 PM 4/6/2010, Bob Kravis wrote:
Quote:
...I need to get my own insurance (liability only) before taking it there and that is becoming a challenge.  USUA insurance require the pilot hold their training registration and that the plane be registered with them.  The training, as I read it, must be with one of their BFI's and there are none listed in NC...

Naturally, the BFI program ended with the implementation of Sport Pilot.  They'll accept an FAA pilot certificate, of course, and I get the impression that a solo signoff from a CFI is also acceptable.  The people at First Flight Insurance (USUA's underwriter) are very helpful and can answer your questions.

-Dana

--
 But do you trust the _government_ with semi-automatic assault rifles?
Quote:

get="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
tp://forums.matronics.com
_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[b]

Dana

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:33 pm    Post subject: new Firefly now in Durham Reply with quote

At 01:48 PM 4/7/2010, Bob Kravis wrote:
Quote:
I was able to get more information about the USUA Insurance program (the only source)...

Actually you can get the same insurance from ASC, but it's the same underwriter and the same price.

Quote:
So, I am still trying to locate 1) CFI that teaches in a taildragger and 2) a two seat Kolb for "in type" transition time.

The first is easy, the second is more problematic.

-Dana
--
Place a half full glass of water before a pessimist, optimist and an engineer:

The pessimist says the glass is half empty.
The optimist says the glass if half full.
The engineer says the glass is too large. [quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: