Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

upholstery

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carlossa52(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:10 pm    Post subject: upholstery Reply with quote

Hello, all
As I get started on the fuselage, the "theoretical" aircraft suddenly becomes more tangible.
(Strange...  I guess I spent way too much time making wings...)
So, I frequently find myself researching avionics and other things that I'll need (much) later on.

Today I had fun with upholstery - and, given the low traffic we have had on this list, I thought I'd share with you.

Go here, click the red arrow and design your own upholstery:

http://www.katzkin2.com/SeatSelector/SCSTOOL_09.html

Carlos
CH601-HD, plans
Fuse started

do not archive
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Zenith-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List
PatrickW

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: upholstery Reply with quote

Sounds like we're at about the same point.

I just started making my seats. Was intending to do the 3 layers of "comfor foam", but when I laid that up and sat in the airplane and close the canopy, it turns out that I'm just too tall, even with the 650 canopy I installed on my XL.

I ended up going with a layer of green foam over the aluminum seat pan, and then on top of that I did one seat with a single layer of blue foam, and the other seat with a single layer of pink.

I sat in both of them for a long time to see if they became uncomfortable. Felt ok. I'm making my seats interchangeable, so I can test each one, and then the one I like best (blue vs pink foam) is the one I'll go with.

- Pat

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

psm(at)att.net

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:10 am    Post subject: upholstery Reply with quote

Hi Pat,

The folks at Oregon Aero came to one of my EAA chapter meetings and gave
some impressive demos of the memory foam. The one that left the biggest
impression used a large steel ball (like the kind in old pinball machines)
and bounced it off a variety of rubber cushions. When it hit most of them
it bounced, but when it hit a thin sandwich of pink and blue memory foam it
just about stuck. This showed how much power the memory foam has to
eliminate jarring vibration to the bottom of your spine.

I suggest you consider this vibration issue as well as sitting comfort when
making up your seats. A thin layer of both types of memory foam might work
a lot better to absorb shocks than either one can alone.

Paul
XL doing upgrade
--

n801bh(at)netzero.com

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:34 pm    Post subject: upholstery Reply with quote

I agree 100% on the memory foam. It is the ultimate in comfort. On my trip to OSH last year in my 801 one long day of 13 hours of flying was made a non event by using the memory foam, it is more expensive but you all will love it for the life of your plane and is well worth the additional cost. IMHO
do not archive

Ben Haas
N801BH
www.haaspowerair.com

--------

Juan Vega Jr

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:39 am    Post subject: upholstery Reply with quote

all;
memory foam is great for the tush However, take a piece of memory foam and put it in your hand, you will notice it is very Heavy! memory foam used in excess on the plane will contribute to 10 more lbs easily! and reweighting of the plane, Yuck! try using it sparingly in pressure areas like the bottom seat only.

As for vibration, just get you engine and prop balanced and most vibration should be diminished.

Juan
--

psm(at)att.net

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:02 am    Post subject: upholstery Reply with quote

Hi Juan,

I'm sure you are right about regular vibration. However, another kind (call it: Impulse Vibration?) happens on a hard landing or crash. This is the kind that can damage spines and cause paralysis or even death.

I suspect you are right that a thin layer or sandwich of memory foam is sufficient to deal with these issues. It certainly is heavier than normal upholstery foam.

One other issue with upholstery foam to consider is its contribution to deadly gasses in a fire. Most of these foams are made from polyurethane. This stuff generates the incredibly deadly gas HCN - Hydrogen Cyanate, AKA Cyanide gas. It used to be used for public executions in the gas chamber. I'm not sure how this plays out in airplane accidents and fires, but when the upholstery foam (or carpet foam in large planes) is exposed to fire the resulting fumes are the most likely cause of death to people on the plane.

Oddly, it may be that the choice of upholstery foam is the one decision that has the most impact on airplane utility and safety.

Paul
--

Scotsman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: upholstery Reply with quote

Although if your seat is burning you are probably stuffed anyway!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: